• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

Of course you can. The internet is worldwide, you know :)

Communication is never restricted with these services. You're in the same region anyway, so you wouldn't even be affected by region-locked multiplayer which is something that does exist.

No. Don't expect it, there's zero reason to assume it would be region free.

a) yes, that was what the whole event was for. 5 hours for press to do interviews and play games.
b) expect more hands-on impressions next week since they all have to travel back home and write up their reports.
D-e-f, thanks for the kindness of your time. Hopefuly there's a barrage of videos describing the control pad functionality, that's the aspect the media should focus on.

I sent an email to Nintendo telling them I would want Nintendo Land to come in a retail case with the Deluxe Set so that it looks nice in my collection. Here is what they said:

Hello again,

It's great to see your interest in Wii U! I can definitely understand why you'd like to have Nintendo Land come in a retail-like game case so that it looks good in your collection. While we don't have any information about how the game will be packaged, I will be more than happy to forward your feedback to our other departments here at Nintendo.

As you're probably aware, Wii U will be released on November 18th, 2012. In case you haven't had the opportunity, I wanted to let you know that everything we have available to share regarding Wii U has been added to our website. On our website you can find additional details, such as the price, many of this system's innovating features, and a lineup of the games that will be released for this magnificent new home console. Here's a direct link:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu

Sincerely,

Kevin Anderson
Nintendo of America Inc

Finally found it; the JP Wii U hub page:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/index.html

Sadly there's not much there, I only noticed a ROTK12 trailer. :p

So when are we getting 3DS news? Will there be a separate Fall Conference after all focusing on both Wii U and 3DS? Iwata said price and such wouldn't be shown there, but we got that here, and since there's been nothing for the 3DS so far, that either leaves a ND specifically for the 3DS, or the FC.

Also I feel that the JP support shown is a tad low, like I said before, we saw a mountain of 3DS games at the 2010 and 2011 FC, so we should've seen loads for Wii U, I mean where's support from:

MarvelousAQL
Konami
Namco Bandai aside from Tekken and Tank
Sega's JP support

Etc.

I also remember that PES2013 and Deca Sports was listed somewhere for Wii U and we never say those (same place also mentioned Warriors Orochi 3).

So yeah, major key companies were absent. There needs to be more, it seems that JP just focused on this year with a couple of surprises (Bayonetta 2 for instance) for next year, but it's still very small, so hopefully there will still be a FC for both platforms.

qwerty2k

this might be a stupid question but...have we actually seen any images of the OS interface yet? is it the same as the Wii Channels?

Hiltz

this might be a stupid question but...have we actually seen any images of the OS interface yet? is it the same as the Wii Channels?

It looks like there is an icon you can click on with Wii channel-like tiles located on the right side of the Miiverse screen. However, it seems like the difference is that it won't be the main menu like it is on the Wii. I haven't seen Nintendo actually show it in action yet except for this screenshot.

miiverse0607-610.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned

It looks like there is an icon you can click on with Wii channel-like tiles located on the right side of the Miiverse screen. However, it seems like the difference is that it won't be the main menu like it is on the Wii. I haven't seen Nintendo actually show it in action yet except for this screenshot.

miiverse0607-610.jpg

The Miiverse screen you see in Hiltz' post is part of that OS interface. The GamePad will show the other half which consists of "tiles" (Nintendo's term for it) that give you access to the games and applications (similar to the channels on the Wii). You can launch straight into everything right from that screen.
Bonus: no ads! (middle finger to you, 360 dashboard!)

Bill Trinen detailed that in the 1Up interview.

I hate Miis, but the Miiverse thing is a nice tool for developers. Sometimes people don't know when a new game comes out, and Miiverse is like free, automatic advertising.

D-e-f-

Banned
Finally found it; the JP Wii U hub page:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/software/index.html

Sadly there's not much there, I only noticed a ROTK12 trailer. :p

So when are we getting 3DS news? Will there be a separate Fall Conference after all focusing on both Wii U and 3DS? Iwata said price and such wouldn't be shown there, but we got that here, and since there's been nothing for the 3DS so far, that either leaves a ND specifically for the 3DS, or the FC.

Also I feel that the JP support shown is a tad low, like I said before, we saw a mountain of 3DS games at the 2010 and 2011 FC, so we should've seen loads for Wii U, I mean where's support from:

MarvelousAQL
Konami
Namco Bandai aside from Tekken and Tank
Sega's JP support

Etc.

I also remember that PES2013 and Deca Sports was listed somewhere for Wii U and we never say those (same place also mentioned Warriors Orochi 3).

So yeah, major key companies were absent. There needs to be more, it seems that JP just focused on this year with a couple of surprises (Bayonetta 2 for instance) for next year, but it's still very small, so hopefully there will still be a FC for both platforms.

Remember there is still TGS and on Thursday we pretty much only learned about launch window stuff (aside from Bayonetta whose release may or may not fall into that timeframe). There will also be the regular Nintendo Direct in October (remember, every two months at the end of the month!) and probably another Japan-exclusive one at Christmas like in the past and then another global one in February. A lot of time within the launch window to announce more and more stuff.

Expect more 3DS news in October. I wouldn't expect them to do yet another ND before TGS.

ari

Banned
this is a very impressive launch lineup.

there is no twilight princess or halo, but there is some gems along with secondary-get games like ninja gaiden, mass effect,just dance 4 and rayman.NSMBU just for the hell of it for the majority of owners and the virtual console will be decent for me because i didn't touch a wii for years.

The appeal of this thing is very impressive.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is there any confirmation yet on if there is going to be an achievements- like system?

There is not. not in the traditional sense. not mandated for all titles.

Developers can implement them and integrate them into Miiverse, NintendoLand will have something like that but there simply is no unified system divided up by points or something like that.

Read the Bill Trinen 1Up interview.

Pineconn

So the Wii U's two biggest selling points according to NeoGAF:

1) Toilet Gaming
2) Ad-free advertising for free.

:D

I will never understand this, lol. One of my friends played Draw Something exclusively on the toilet. I have no intentions on... messing up my $100+ controller, so it's staying in the living room and the bedroom. :p

Will games that support the Pro Controller automatically support CCPro too? I'd rather get that one if I ever needed it.

Also, no Pikmin and W101 in the European launch window, what in the flying fuck is this shit?

I will never understand this, lol. One of my friends played Draw Something exclusively on the toilet. I have no intentions on... messing up my $100+ controller, so it's staying in the living room and the bedroom. :p

You say that now. Wait until you're in the middle of a dungeon in Zelda U and you feel a shit coming on that you know is going to take you away from the TV for at least 15 minutes. We'll see who leaves their $100 controller in the living room then.

I'm not saying they're wrong or it's unlikely but they don't give any source about the Wii U version and the official website only list Wii.
The actual source is a JP blog, one that usually posts magazine reports, so it might be true. Haven't seen any scans though.

big_erk

I hate Miis, but the Miiverse thing is a nice tool for developers. Sometimes people don't know when a new game comes out, and Miiverse is like free, automatic advertising.

I actually like Miis more than Xbox avatars. Even with the simple presentation, or maybe because of it, it is very easy to get a character that looks just like you. Add a little more detail and a few more options and it will be perfect. Miis are one of those wonderful Nintendo things that they just don't get enough credit for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The actual source is a JP blog, one that usually posts magazine reports, so it might be true. Haven't see any scan though.

The official site says nothing about a Wii U version unless I am missing something.

big_erk

Gives new meaning to Call of Doody, or does it. ;)

D-e-f-

Banned
Just watched the conference. Man, is the crowd full of fucking deadbeats or what? No laughs, no claps, nothing...

This was not an entertainment event with a crowd filled with plants (people who cheer) as is common practice at E3. Besides, some people laughed at some of the silly jokes (TVii).

Will games that support the Pro Controller automatically support CCPro too? I'd rather get that one if I ever needed it.

I sure hope so, the pro controller is 50 bucks, and CCP is 20 bucks, and I have 2 CC already

No. We've been over this in the old threads: The CCPro has fewer buttons. Unless it is specifically programmed for compatibility in cases where not all buttons are needed, it will not just work as a Pro Controller replacement.

jmizzal

This was not an entertainment event with a crowd filled with plants (people who cheer) as is common practice at E3. Besides, some people laughed at some of the silly jokes (TVii).

No. We've been over this in the old threads: The CCPro has fewer buttons. Unless it is specifically programmed for compatibility in cases where not all buttons are needed, it will not just work as a Pro Controller replacement.

GameCube controller worked on some Wii games so it should be possible, but up to the dev.

Penguin

I didn't want to start a thread for this, but I do like what Just Dance 4 is doing with the controller and puppet mode.

I think fun to control the moves that come up

I guess we'll get an ND in Oct. (maybe) finally telling us what the online system is capable of.

And we're only a few days away from TGS. I'm ready to see what they did
n't do
to the Wii U version of DQX.

komaruR

wish there's a sku that has the wiiu with no wiiu gamepad but the wiiu pro controller for cheaper price.(like in the $200 price mark)
It would really help for those ppl planning to play games that don't really need it (mh3u).
or if plan to import, which means there's already 1 gamepad from the import or local sku (unless gamepad is not region free capable)

jacksrb

Two things:

1 - On Go Nintendo, there is a story about the ESRB-equivalent in Brazil rating Need For Speed Most Wanted for Wii U - That is exciting because racing is really the only not well represented genre at launch [Sonic Racing is more arcady/carty]

2 - I would be really excited to see the Yoshi's Fruit Cart attraction in Nintendo Land be like Pokemon Snap where you are going along and using the gamepad to look around in the environment and hit a button to dart your tongue out and grab the various fruits

Zero148

wish there's a sku that has the wiiu with no wiiu gamepad but the wiiu pro controller for cheaper price.(like in the $200 price mark)
It would really help for those ppl planning to play games that don't really need it (mh3u).
or if plan to import, which means there's already 1 gamepad from the import or local sku (unless gamepad is not region free capable)

what I don't understand, which benefit has the pro Controller over the Gamepad? every button on it is also found on the gamepad and more. If you don't need the screen for the game, simply don't use it, or use ir only for multitasking on the OS (webbrosing). Every game is playable with the pro controller should also be playable with the gamepad without "gimmick" touch screen interaction

Drago

I gathered up a bunch of old 360, Wii, and PS2 games I'll never play again and I plan on putting them up for sale online tomorrow. If everything I put up sells, then I won't have to pay a cent out of pocket for my WiiU system (already traded my old 3DS in for $85)

Feels good man
3AQmK.gif

TDLink

So any word if Wii U can interface with the 3DS? Analogous to GBA & GCN?

They have said there will be connectivity between the two but not what it will be yet. Monster Hunter Ultimate and Smash Bros. 4 are both confirmed to communicate between their Wii U and 3DS versions though.

I guess we'll get an ND in Oct. (maybe) finally telling us what the online system is capable of.

And we're only a few days away from TGS. I'm ready to see what they did
n't do
to the Wii U version of DQX.

I still can't believe that after all this waiting for Wii U information, Nintendo still didn't say anything new about it's online network for Wii U. Wow.

Nibel

The Gamepad is basically the Wii U - the console next to your TV is just a box

Top Bottom