• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

jsnepo

If you ask me it is genius to have something as a tablet to act as the controller. Nice work Nintendo. Now if Sony would just allow the Vita to become a controller as a substitute for the DS3.

D-e-f-

Banned
I still can't believe that after all this waiting for Wii U information, Nintendo still didn't say anything new about it's online network for Wii U. Wow.

Well that most certainly is not true. Miiverse is a huge part, the biggest part of their online service. They've shown their always on-community months ago which is leaps and bounds ahead of what the competition offers. It baffles me that people keep dismissing that and say "they haven't told us anything about online." In addition they've said there's now an account system, we know there are friends lists, it has the necessary online infrastructure for ACIII/Black Ops2/Aliens:CM, etc. There will be an eShop on day-1 ...

How is that nothing?

Can all games be played on the WiiU pad?

On the screen (Off-TV Play)? No. It obviously doesn't work with games that integrate the second screen as a central gameplay mechanic (see ZombiU).

wish there's a sku that has the wiiu with no wiiu gamepad but the wiiu pro controller for cheaper price.(like in the $200 price mark)
It would really help for those ppl planning to play games that don't really need it (mh3u).
or if plan to import, which means there's already 1 gamepad from the import or local sku (unless gamepad is not region free capable)

This would be really really really really really stupid. At that point, just buy a 360/PS3...

If you ask me it is genius to have something as a tablet to act as the controller. Nice work Nintendo. Now if Sony would just allow the Vita to become a controller as a substitute for the DS3.

They do, it's called Cross-Controller . They have to develop the games to support that, though since the systems were not originally intended to do that.

---

Btw, I advise anyone to not listen to this week's Weekend Confirmed or skip the first half. You'll be banging your heads on your tables during their Wii U "discussion"... I had to take a break to be able to finish the episode.

Instead, I'd suggest Wired's GameLife podcast with Chris Kohler. While he's critical, he approaches the whole thing from a more level-headed perspective and actually did some research and brings up some new and interesting stuff! Kohler also has a short Q&A with Bill Trinen on Wired.

I think what everybody wants to see is the straight up convient sending friends game invites, chat and messages. Will I have to pause my whole game just to send a message or can It still be running. Can I use the in game press Y to invite friend to game features? Can I see recent players and add them, can I send them messages? Can I browse what people are playing while playing my game without freezing it? Just simple stuff like that.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yup and what I'm talking about is for the Vita to be a controller for all existing games without the need for an individual game patches.

Which will never be possible on the PS3. Maybe if they were smart they laid the groundwork with the Vita so they can easily make that a standard in the PS4.

D-e-f-

Banned
I think what everybody wants to see is the straight up convient sending friends game invites, chat and messages. Will I have to pause my whole game just to send a message or can It still be running. Can I use the in game press Y to invite friend to game features? Can I see recent players and add them, can I send them messages? Can I browse what people are playing while playing my game without freezing it? Just simple stuff like that.

I'm curious, how many hands do you have? You wanna type a message while you keep playing?

Why would you not want to pause your game? That would be terrible! You have to bring up some kind of interface in some way, obviously. This is not magic, it's still based on systems and logic.

- We know for a fact that you can send messages easily. We have seen that.

- They have not shown stuff like game invites but I believe that is a game-specific thing. The game sends a message (remember, sending messages is confirmed lol) to your friend which includes a button prompt to boot the game in question. This is game-specific functionality so no issues there.

- You have to bring up the Miiverse screen which obviously pauses your game in some fashion (it would be really really bad and stupid if it didn't). We know that you can see what people are playing there.

What you're asking about is really specific functionality that is partially a given or not really significant. What do you gain from, for example, bringing up the Miiverse friend interface on the controller while the game is not paused? You have to focus on the controller for what you're doing anyway for what you're doing (message typing, scrolling through friend list).

The only tech that would make what you're asking possible is some sort of Super Kinect that not only accepts voice commands ("Invite OctoG123") but also talks back to you (You: "What is Regginator playing right now"? Console:"Regginator is playing Netflix: Breaking Bad")

While playing a game say cod. Im in a multiplayer match. Can I run and go hide somewhere and send my friend a message then return to action. Stuff like that its got nothing to do with how many hands I have more of convience and quickness. I wouldnt really want my game suspended like the 3DS just to send a message or invite. This is all simple stuff they should have.

edit: Also I just want to press a simple button(home button) to bring the OS to see what my friends are doing real quick. You dont need a super kinect for that.

This thread really is a bastion against all the hysteria and negativity out there.

I think Nintendo has repeated their conceptual success with the Wii. The emphasis on local multiplayer and touch interface will help distinguish them from Microsoft and Sony. TVii seems like a great jump into the rapidly expanding world of streaming video.

Seeing Bayonetta and Monster Hunter was the icing on the cake for me. I really hope it translates into strong Japanese developer support.

All said, a great week for Nintendo. The three things I mentioned make it a guaranteed purchase for me - really looking forward to playing Nintendoland with my wife and kids.

It will be interesting to see if they can repeat the massive success of the Wii.

Nibel

While playing a game say cod. Im in a multiplayer match. Can I run and go hide somewhere and send my friend a message then return to action. Stuff like that its got nothing to do with how many hands I have more of convience and quickness. I wouldnt really want my game suspended like the 3DS just to send a message or invite. This is all simple stuff they should have.

Uhm, the OS uses 1GB of ram.

I don't see why such a thing should be impossible - it all comes down to what the developers do with the tools they get.

Uhm, the OS uses 1GB of ram.

I don't see why such a thing should be impossible - it all comes down to what the developers do with the tools they get.
Not that its impossible to do but just to see if its there. Thats the stuff people are looking for when they say they want to see more of the online infastructure and its versatility.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not that its impossible to do but just to see if its there. Thats the stuff people are looking for when they say they want to see more of the online infrastructure and its versatility.

Still, that's pretty minuscule stuff you're wondering about. You're basically asking if you have to scroll left or right before you see a specific feature. I'd hardly call that crucial information. On both the PS3 and 360 you push the PS/Guide button to bring up the overlay which presents you with the option to quit your game as the first choice. You then have to push left or right to access your friend list. Chances are, you're gonna bring up a similar "overview" when you push the home button and choose your options from there.

I doubt they'd go into such detail about these little things at any point. You'll probably have to wait for info on that until someone has final retail units for reviews and stuff.

Umm, that old story doesn't really apply anymore. We've learned last week that there really is no overarching achievement system. Developers can integrate their achievements (in multiplatform titles, for example) into Miiverse if they choose to do so. That's all there is.

Nibel

Umm, that old story doesn't really apply anymore. We've learned last week that there really is no overarching achievement system. Developers can integrate their achievements (in multiplatform titles, for example) into Miiverse if they choose to do so. That's all there is.

coyk2.jpg

Still, that's pretty minuscule stuff you're wondering about. You're basically asking if you have to scroll left or right before you see a specific feature. I'd hardly call that crucial information. On both the PS3 and 360 you push the PS/Guide button to bring up the overlay which presents you with the option to quit your game as the first choice. You then have to push left or right to access your friend list. Chances are, you're gonna bring up a similar "overview" when you push the home button and choose your options from there.

I doubt they'd go into such detail about these little things at any point. You'll probably have to wait for info on that until someone has final retail units for reviews and stuff.

Yea its miniscule of course, like I said its simple stuff but thats the things people want to see. Why would a group of friends move from 360 cod to WiiU if the way of playing with friends is much more convient on 360.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The box art reveals that the code for Wii U is WUP (like we had DMG, NUS, DOL etc.). There is no practical benefit for knowing this piece of information, but I find the codes interesting. I was hoping for CFE. Seems like they decided early on the branding.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yea its miniscule of course, like I said its simple stuff but thats the things people want to see. Why would a group of friends move from 360 cod to WiiU if the way of playing with friends is much more convient on 360.

Unless they screw it up completely, I still think it should be easier on Wii U simply because you will probably have quicker access to these things on the screen. (the Dashboard and XMB both are really really slow). But that's something we can only test once the thing is in our hands.

The box art reveals that the code for Wii U is WUP (like we had DMG, NUS, DOL etc.). There is no practical benefit for knowing this piece of information, but I find the codes interesting. I was hoping for CFE. Seems like they decided early on the branding.

The stylus is WUP-015. Random info EXCITE! lol

2321845-wupa_015_imgeka_01_r_ad.png

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
After watching this interview about TVii, I'm starting to believe that the Wii U "trump card" is Miiverse, which is why it hasn't been revealed yet. It could be one of the boldest feature of the Wii U beside the GamePad. Reading this thread which covers Miiverse treadmark fillings should help to paint an idea of what is soon going to be revealed.

Edit: It's this image in particular that caught my attention:
i7NCkkRah0PBa.png

That's from the NA Conference. Notice how Miiverse is one of the choices in the sharing services selection with Facebook and Twitter.

Nibel

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
After watching this interview about TVii, I'm stating to believe that the Wii U "trump card" is Miiverse, which is why it hasn't been revealed yet. It could be one of the boldest feature of the Wii U beside the GamePad. Reading this thread which covers Miiverse treadmark fillings should help to paint an idea of what is soon going to be revealed.

Edit: It's this image in particular that caught my attention:
i7NCkkRah0PBa.png

That's from the NA Conference. Notice how Miiverse is one of the social services option in the sharing options with Facebook and Twitter.
I like the Facebook integration, with replies to your post integrated into the Wii U's app interface.

NeoRausch

I'm still baffeld by the fact that the OS get's 1GB all alone for its own use.
i mean....what's the biggest console OS to date?
1Gig seems GIGANTIC!

After watching this interview about TVii, I'm stating to believe that the Wii U "trump card" is Miiverse, which is why it hasn't been revealed yet. It could be one of the boldest feature of the Wii U beside the GamePad. Reading this thread which covers Miiverse treadmark fillings should help to paint an idea of what is soon going to be revealed.
That thread has like 3 posts but informs on so much information is this stuff clueless to everyone else? All of that stuff paints a beautiful picture in my head of miiverse. The sharing, taggging part too. I could see how miiverse could fit into facebook,twitter,youtube, and instagram all in one. Nintendo will create their own social network but just like all social networks these days they can share through each other. Miiverse wont be big..until its big. It will be vastly overlooked at first until it becomes that new thing.

Yeah, from the (very cool) Bill Trinen 1UP interview in the OP:
We tend to do it more built into the game itself. What I think is going to be different about Wii U is that you then have the opportunity, through Miiverse, to then share that information.
It's kind of unclear but the end result seems to be that Miiverse will aggregate all your achievements. Typically, I'm pretty sure every multiplat will have the existing achievements/trophies as accomplishments.

I could see the multiplats having the achievements as accomplishments but they arent some score or something like that but rather simply a accomplishment that you can have for bragging rights and sharing through Miiverse-within miiverse, and also to fb, twitter at the time all seamlessly.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really positive article from GamesIndustry. I particularly liked the last paragraph.

Perhaps this is a reminder to everyone in the industry, that for all the talking we do about hardware and specifications and platforms, this is still ultimately a business that's about selling games. Nintendo still does that better than almost anyone else. For the fourth time in a row (DS, Wii, 3DS and now Wii U), the industry finds itself having somewhat underestimated the extraordinary talent and market strength of the gaming legend from Kyoto. The real proof will start to pour in on November 18th (or 30th in Europe), but for now, my feeling is that Nintendo has done enough to ensure a solid launch - and demonstrated the kind of abilities it'll need to climb the steep slope ahead through 2013.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-14-wii-u-fantastic-games-make-up-for-high-price

Nibel

Nice little interview Bill Trinen - also, he comments on the achievements situation

1UP: On the 3DS, when you use the StreetPass, there are those Accomplishments. Are they going to build those into Wii U games? Like Microsoft has Achievements and Sony has Trophies. Are they going to do that with Wii U games?

BT: Those are specific to StreetPass Mii Plaza. We've had stuff like that in the past, in terms of Smash Bros. Mr. Sakurai is somebody that's been really big into that. I love the way that he handles it in Kid Icarus and the Kirby games. Or Meteos, I love that game, Meteos I still carry around...

1UP: I always called it meh-TAY-ohs, I don't know why... [laughs] Is that how you're supposed to say it?

BT: You say it that way in Japanese, so that's good. I think actually, even... Wii Sports Resort, they did some similar stuff like that. We tend to do it more built into the game itself. What I think is going to be different about Wii U is that you then have the opportunity, through Miiverse, to then share that information.

1UP: Yeah. "Oh, you collected 1000 coins, you got an accomplishment." Something.

BT: Yeah. The beauty of Miiverse is that, because it's integrated into the Home button menu, if you're an outside developer, you don't necessarily have to program specifically for it. People can be playing your game, press the Home button, and be able to access Miiverse in a way that lets them post about what they're doing in your game at that point. But at the same time, if you're interested, you're able to try to build more Miiverse functionality directly into your software, into the game that you're developing. You'll see that in New Super Mario Bros. U. We've seen the world map that's got some of those Miiverse comments in there. Nintendo Land is also going to leverage Miiverse, and we'll go into more detail on how that's going to work as we get closer to launch. It's great because you can do a lot with it if you want to, or you can rely on how it's built into the system, but it's going to give you an opportunity to leverage the unique ways that developers are getting people to do those sort of accomplishment-type things in their games.

Read the rest here

Kouriozan

Nintendo TVii and Miiverse are highly underrated

These two features could be killer applications in the US

I have a feeling that it'll be underrated indeed...until the launch day, then everyone will be talking about Miiverse.
The true potential of Miiverse will be unveiled when tons of people will use it.

NeoRausch

Do we have any idea if there will be multiple accounts? I don't mean DD games account but console accounts itself.

so you know, i can just login my concole account and read my miiverse stuff and later on my wife could do the same with her account.

any mention of that?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Do we have any idea if there will be multiple accounts? I don't mean DD games account but console accounts itself.

so you know, i can just login my concole account and read my miiverse stuff and later on my wife could do the same with her account.

any mention of that?

I read somewhere that you could have up to 12 accounts.

EDIT: Here is the link.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/16869

In an interview with Nintendo's Charlie Scibetta, it was confirmed that players can create up to twelve user profiles.

Speaking to GameTrailers in an exclusive interview, Scibetta reiterated Nintendo's more accessible approach to linking up with other players online in Miiverse by using individual accounts on the Wii U. What wasn't know was whether there would be limitations on how many accounts can be created on each system - the answer is 12 user accounts can be stored on each Wii U.

Zero148

the Tvii trailer shows how each family member has its own favourite list and so on, so I would say there are multiple accounts

Im ready to make my account! :D

Also FC must not mean shit if you can make 12 accounts unless theres newly generated numbers everytime you make a new one. I doubt nintdndo will go that way though.

Bumhead

Banned

Agreed, I think Miiverse is a big deal for Nintendo.

I think what some people are forgetting is that Nintendo haven't revealed their entire hand regarding the Wii U yet. I don't know about the US reveal, but our European Nintendo Direct seemed very clear that they'd carry on revealing new stuff between now and launch. Thursday wasn't about revealing everything by any stretch of the imagination.

Forgetting previous E3's and whatever, this is where Nintendo's marketing and information blitz for the Wii U starts. I'm almost certain we'll know everything we need to by launch.

D-e-f-

Banned
Im ready to make my account! :D

Also FC must not mean shit if you can make 12 accounts unless theres newly generated numbers everytime you make a new one. I doubt nintdndo will go that way though.

I posted a link to a Kotaku interview with Reggie on one of the previous pages where he talks about friend codes again.

They are a thing of the past basically.

Agreed, I think Miiverse is a big deal for Nintendo.

I think what some people are forgetting is that Nintendo haven't revealed their entire hand regarding the Wii U yet. I don't know about the US reveal, but our European Nintendo Direct seemed very clear that they'd carry on revealing new stuff between now and launch. Thursday wasn't about revealing everything by any stretch of the imagination.

Forgetting previous E3's and whatever, this is where Nintendo's marketing and information blitz for the Wii U starts. I'm almost certain we'll know everything we need to by launch.

end of October -> time for the next bi-monthly Nintendo Directo

Zero148 said:
what I don't understand, which benefit has the pro Controller over the Gamepad?
Less cost and weight, possibly more comfortable. Longer battery life I assume?
Chittagong said:
The W and U are pretty obvious, but I wonder what the P is?

I'm not sure that anyone can act like social network is their own idea at this point in time.
Thats true I mean 360 already allows you to share stuff like what your watching and achievements through facebook and twitter but its such a hassle and clunky as fudge. Iam sure though that when they do people that doubt Miiverse now or downing it when their prefered console of choice is doing the same thing will act like its all good or whatever..

*kanyeshrug*

Top Bottom