• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U September Conference Summary Thread

Drago

Hey, does anyone know if the console stand will be sold outside of the Deluxe set and in White? I may want one

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey, does anyone know if the console stand will be sold outside of the Deluxe set and in White? I may want one

No white, the stand is neutral dark grey (just like the charge cradle & gamepad stand). It is being sold separately in Japan (¥315). EU / NA not announced but should be available sooner or later.

zroid

Banned
I know they said something about Wii U only working with Wii Remote Plus, but I'm assuming this has to include Wiimotes w/ M+ dongle, right?

Right???

D-e-f-

Banned
I know they said something about Wii U only working with Wii Remote Plus, but I'm assuming this has to include Wiimotes w/ M+ dongle, right?

Right???

Yes sure.

By the way, it DOES support regular Wii Remotes.

Official blurb from Nintendo's own Wii U fact sheet from yesterday:
see for yourself @ http://press.nintendo.com/wiiu/ (name: wiiu / password: nintendo)

Other Controllers: The Wii U console supports one Wii U GamePad controller, up to four Wii Remote™
(or Wii Remote™ Plus) controllers or Wii U™ Pro Controllers, and Wii™ accessories
such as the Nunchuk™, Classic Controller™ and Wii Balance Board™. In the future,
the Wii U console will support, depending on the software, two Wii U GamePad
controllers.

for all the people still complaining about the price:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/177337/Sizing_up_Wii_Us_price_tag_against_history.php

Wii U is still among the cheapest consoles.

Lachie007

I think new games made only for the wii u will only work with wiimote pluses but regular wii motes still work when playing wii games.

With COD im defo planning on getting it. It has pointer controls so i can actually play it! The splitscreen without the splitscreen could be awesome too.

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
Can't wait for November 30th, absolutely excited for the launch!

So far, picking up the Premium Edition and almost 8 games(!)
I desperately need some free time ;-)

D-e-f-

Banned
With COD im defo planning on getting it. It has pointer controls so i can actually play it! The splitscreen without the splitscreen could be awesome too.

I think "Two Screen"-Multiplayer is the term they're using for this.

Btw, Reggie again on the friend code situation (from the Kotaku interview):

Regginator said:
We've heard the community feedback on friend codes and we're making it dramatically easier for you to connect with your friends," he said.

Oh and a nice bit from the comments in the article
Kotaku's Jason Schreier said:
No advertisements at all on the Wii U interface, Reggie told me.

OP should update the Launch Day lineup (or at the very least have different symbols for the regions)

This the the NA Launch Day lineup

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
ESPN Sports Connection
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Transformers Prime
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Mr. Matthew

Neo Member
Which 8 games? :D
That's a bunch man

I know, but I wanna play so much after seeing all those trailers the other day :p

So far:

- Nintendoland (bundled ofcourse)
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II
- Assassin's Creed III
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
- Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
- ZombiU

Honestly, if all of this is available day one, this is by far the best launch a Nintendo console has ever had. Period.

Oh, kudos on the OP, really great!

MNC

As long as there's proper online support with patches and whatnot. I don't want a system that can't have patches. Because I'm starting to get hyped for this system.

Nibel

As long as there's proper online support with patches and whatnot. I don't want a system that can't have patches. Because I'm starting to get hyped for this system.

There is flash storage available

Why should patches be impossible? They are already possible on the 3DS and that means a lot

D-e-f-

Banned
There is flash storage available

Why should patches be impossible? They are already possible on the 3DS and that means a lot

People seem to be really expecting Nintendo to basically sell them a Wii with better graphics and with all the missing features. It's so sad and hilarious.

Yesterday, I had a conversation with someone elsewhere who just assumed nothing would change in terms of online and motion control focus (previous Wii owner who got burned by the system). I quickly gave up arguing, it was pointless.

Type_Raver

So, we're going to have variable formats and sizes of storage space, but don't know if this has been answered...

Do games install onto the flash/hdd?

Personally, I hope so, as it speeds up load times, particularly off the internal flash memory (8/32GB).

beril

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm dead certain that's only for US. In both EU and JP you'll be able to buy additional Wii U Gamepads at launch. Also curious on the Swedish price. Still nothing confirmed but I assume it's going to be a whopping 2999/3499 -- higher than any other region.

EDIT: Just got a mail from GAME confirming me that you'll be able to buy additional gamepads at launch. Still no price on it though.

The swedish price seems to be a complete mystery. I've checked a bunch of online stores but no one seems to have an updated price for the system; some of them have the updated info about the SKUs but still have a ridiculous dummy price set to 4999. I wonder if they're hesistant to announce a price while the SEK is this high. Because at the current excange rate 350 euro is just over 3000, but if they set it at that they may have to raise it before launch

Nibel

So, we're going to have variable formats and sizes of storage space, but don't know if this has been answered...

Do games install onto the flash/hdd?

Personally, I hope so, as it speeds up load times, particularly off the internal flash memory (8/32GB).

They didn't say anything about this. Theoretically, you could buy every digital version of the game you want and save it on your HDD/Flash - this would be even better with Nintendo Network Premium since you can save about 10% with each purchase.

I would welcome a install option. If I remember correctly, Iwata wanted that Wii games "install" themselves on the console to make them run faster, and while this is still the case it just isn't that much data that's being saved on the console. I know I didn't use the correct terms, but techies probably know what I mean and the fact that they thought about this with the Wii is a good thing.
Maybe we will be suprised again! I would love a 360-like install function.

I have a question and this seems as good a place as any to ask.

Which launch games are confirmed to have same console multi? I am hoping to get my gf on board with this. We will be in Japan, but I guess MH will be one per console... Maybe NSMB is our best bet?

D-e-f-

Banned
EDIT: Just got a mail from GAME confirming me that you'll be able to buy additional gamepads at launch. Still no price on it though.

Then GAME is lying to you. That is straight up false information.

edit: I believe GAME thinks you are talking about the Pro Controller. They don't know there's a difference.

I have a question and this seems as good a place as any to ask.

Which launch games are confirmed to have same console multi? I am hoping to get my gf on board with this. We will be in Japan, but I guess MH will be one per console... Maybe NSMB is our best bet?

CoD: Black Ops 2
NintendoLand
New Super Mario Bros. U
Warriors Orochi 3/Musou Orochi 2
Rayman Legends
ZombiU
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Rabbids Land
Just Dance 4
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
and all the minigame collections of course...
and the sports games should as well

...are the ones I can think of right now.

For later stuff, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 will also have local multiplayer

MH3 Ultimate has cross-platform multiplayer with the DS version. In Japan, the Dragon Quest X beta will also let you play on the same console with two players!

Something interesting from the Bill Trinen interview RE: launch day software :
BT: [...]So gradually you're going to start seeing the third parties announcing specifically who's there on launch day. As we get closer to launch you may get some more clarity on whether there's some other first-party games coming on launch day, too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why would this not have been announced yesterday?

Probably because it's not coming at launch, but just during launch window...and Nintendo wants to have games announced over and over continuously and...and I don't know :p

If I have friends/family that live in Latin America and they have a Wii U, would I be able to communicate with them with a North American Wii U via Miiverse etc?

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this in since it's kind of a mess right now with all the Wii U stuff everywhere......

If I have friends/family that live in Latin America and they have a Wii U, would I be able to communicate with them with a North American Wii U via Miiverse etc?

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this in since it's kind of a mess right now with all the Wii U stuff everywhere......

Don't see why not. They're all NA Wii Us. If they were an entirely different region, like Europe then you might have a concern.

opi1saved

Neo Member
I'm going to get BLOPS2 for WiiU mainly for the prospect of 60fps Wiimote aiming with the tried and true Treyarch Wiimote customization features, all of my gaming buddies left the 360 a long time ago, and with Goldeneye I mostly switched to Wii for online shooters. I am addicted to the Wiimote controls. The feel and accuracy is just so much better than analog aiming.

This has turned out perfectly for me. I love Wiimote controls for Call of Duty and my son prefers dual analog. And as much as I enjoy playing with him, I hate sharing screen space. Now I get to enjoy IR aiming at 60 fps in HD without sacrificing screen space, while my son plays alongside me with the dual analog controls he is familiar with on his own personal screen. Perfect scenario.

big_erk

Thanks for this thread, helpful for me who missed the entire series of events.

Bayonetta 2 is huge, and really the biggest thing the console has going for it.

While I enjoyed Bayonetta, it is a somewhat niche game. It is a great get for Nintendo, but hardly the biggest thing they have going for them. I'm going to be more impressed with Tvii if that lives up to the marketing.

D-e-f-

Banned

Of course you can. The internet is worldwide, you know :)

Communication is never restricted with these services. You're in the same region anyway, so you wouldn't even be affected by region-locked multiplayer which is something that does exist.

Any mentions of region free??

No. Don't expect it, there's zero reason to assume it would be region free.

Did members of the press had a new chance to try the games? It would be interesting to get some fresh impressions or see if any opinions were changed.

a) yes, that was what the whole event was for. 5 hours for press to do interviews and play games.
b) expect more hands-on impressions next week since they all have to travel back home and write up their reports.

This has turned out perfectly for me. I love Wiimote controls for Call of Duty and my son prefers dual analog. And as much as I enjoy playing with him, I hate sharing screen space. Now I get to enjoy IR aiming at 60 fps in HD without sacrificing screen space, while my son plays alongside me with the dual analog controls he is familiar with on his own personal screen. Perfect scenario.

Well, I highly doubt that even if the game runs in 1080p natively with 60frames, that it would still do so in two-screen multiplayer since it now would have to put out another 60frames/480p stream to the gamepad or otherwise one player would be at a disadvantage. I would expect the multiplayer resolution to be lower in that scenario. They'd probably prioritize the frame rate again over everything else.

While I enjoyed Bayonetta, it is a somewhat niche game. It is a great get for Nintendo, but hardly the biggest thing they have going for them. I'm going to be more impressed with Tvii if that lives up to the marketing.

It's not supposed to be a huge thing to bring the masses, it's more like a strategic title that's supposed to send a message. And I think they accomplished that. I was excited by the announcement, even though I do not care about Bayonetta and have never played the original.

big_erk

The whole Nintendo-Amazon feud has me bummed. I have a lot of credit saved up on Amazon that I was going to use for the U. At least they are carrying the games and accessories.

Top Bottom