• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now i know, Nintendo's whole strategy is about the social and family interaction in gaming. I'm not concerned by that so i'm not their actual target, and it hurts! I hate Nintendo cause they're not interested in me !

But still, i'm just a little worried that they fully assume the "let's use lots of gimmick and things to buy in a smart way cause in the end, that's what makes money, not zelda shit..." But i know Ubisoft is the king for that, so them being the first exemple we have is not the best exemple, i'll admit it!

Enlighten me please!

I can see where you come from, and it was pretty clear from the very moment they unveiled the console and the controller, that many developers would use it's unique features for rubbish gimmicks and leave much of the potential of the WiiU untapped.

Look at the Wii. It took a dedicated 3rd party developer like Treyarch, Ubisoft (Red Steel 2), Climax (SHSM) or Eurocom to really show off how clever implementation of the Wiimote could create completely new gaming experiences that are new and don't have to rely on gimmicks.
Most of the releases, even from Nintendo though treated the potential of the Wiimote like a gimmick and it's implementation was often so forced that it felt pathethic to say the least.

I expect the same from WiiU, but honestly, what has been shown so far is allready leagues better in terms of usability, potential and integration than anything the Wii has gotten over its first year.

Ubisoft in particular have shown multiple interesting concepts of using the Pad in interesting ways. Spherical aiming and shooting in Killer Freaks, Dungeon Master or AI director also in Killer Freaks, Recon and strategy maps in Ghost Recon Online, Asymetrical Gameplay for local play and different skill sets in Rayman Legends.

I don't know but those all seem like practical improvements over standard game controllers, and it's all pretty traditional stuff.

The thing I'm more interested about is: What game will become the leader example on how to use the Pad. It's pretty safe to asume that one game will hit it out of the park in terms of creating a compelling use of the screen and Pad features and will probably deliver the template for most 3rd parties on how to implement the Pad into their games and ports without having to do too much guesswork and effort.

Just so I understand, you can't send significant amounts of data over NFC, right? So in this trailer, the figurines likely just transmit a key which unlocks existing game content?

Or a DLC voucher.

guek

Banned
Remember that the WiiU version is rendered TWICE. Once in HD for the TV and once for the DRC (or uPad if you like this name better)

in this case, not necessarily. I think it's a mirror image of what's on the tv, not a unique view, meaning they could simply render it all once and mirror the image on the upad.

BurntPork

Banned
So I'm guessing we shouldn't have seen that trailer until the Nintendo Press Conference at E3, hmmm?

Honestly, I wonder if it maybe would have been at Ubisoft's conference the day before.

Why did you want me back here?

Also, I can't wait to rub this undeniable confirmation that IdeaMan has sources in a certain poster's face...

Yes, I had doubt as well, but it was more in a "take everything with a grain of salt" kind of way.

Log4Girlz

in this case, not necessarily. I think it's a mirror image of what's on the tv, not a unique view, meaning they could simply render it all once and mirror the image on the upad.

Even if it was a different view, its not exactly taxing to run a 2D game.

guek

Banned
Honestly, the thing I find the most attractive about NFC is that it's such a huge potential money maker, it's going to be really really really hard for devs to ignore the wii u as a platform.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Honestly, I wonder if it maybe would have been at Ubisoft's conference the day before.

Why did you want me back here?

Also, I can't wait to rub this undeniable confirmation that IdeaMan has sources in a certain poster's face...

Yes, I had doubt as well, but it was more in a "take everything with a grain of salt" kind of way.
He wanted you to look at the last page. Idea man posted some info about the drc

AzaK

Honestly, the thing I find the most attractive about NFC is that it's such a huge potential money maker, it's going to be really really really hard for devs to ignore the wii u as a platform.

Absolutely. I'm not sure how NFC protocols work but as long as games can recognise characters made by different publishers. Then they could partner with each other to reuse the figures and things.

Oh, that's true. In fact this could save on double processing in a lot of games, just mirror a part of the screen with overlays on top (targeting reticle, etc.).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
so seriously what is the fallout from this leak? Ubisoft is too large to be in any trouble so this could have been planned all along... I want to see a game that can show us more about WiiU's power though

On the contrary, it's buzz-making, and don't really reveal anything new. The NFC feature was already introduced by Nintendo themselves, and then the possible and expected applications were discussed by tons of people since a few months now, with these figurines, etc.

And the game itself, even if it's a graphical marvel, can't constitute a way to evaluate the Wii U capabilities "as" (marks because it's more complicated than that) it's a 2D platformer.

and thanks for this my little smiles :)

and ideaman was right I give the guy props because he was dropping hints like crazy about this one

suracity

But the problem is if everyone uses it without control then there will be too many toys/similar products on the market and customers will lose their interest quickly.
And eventually parents/kids may just buy some famous stuff like pokemon etc. Then 3rd parties may get more things to complain. "Your toys make more money than ours!” Lol

Also, I can't wait to rub this undeniable confirmation that IdeaMan has sources in a certain poster's face.

This cult of personality stuff makes me really uneasy.

How is this undeniable confirmation of anything? His post mentioned rayman legends, which we knew was a multiplatform sequel, coming to Wii U. He's been very careful (or clever) in not giving substantial detail, so he didn't mention anything new that we saw in this trailer.

Now.. if his comments about that not being the final controller ring true, then I'll be more inclined to believe him, but this proves nothing.

Be wary of 'insiders' and false prophets!

But the problem is if everyone uses it without control then there will be too many toys/similar products on the market and customers will lose their interest quickly.
And eventually parents/kids may just buy some famous stuff like pokemon etc. Then 3rd parties may get more things to complain. "Your toys make more money than ours!” Lol
Exactly.

BurntPork

Banned
He wanted you to look at the last page. Idea man posted some info about the drc

Thanks. :)

I'm in a good mood, so i'll drop a mini-bomb, k ?

This is NOT the final & definitive controller. The one used in this trailer isn't the "updated" model.

Okay. Interesting. Glad I was wrong about Nintendo not showing third-parties. xD Though I knew that the final controller would be different for sure.

Also, I really want to see the Wii U version of AC3 vs the PS3 and 360 versions now. :)

How is this undeniable confirmation of anything? His post mentioned rayman legends, which we knew was a multiplatform sequel, coming to Wii U. He's been very careful (or clever) in not giving substantial detail, so he didn't mention anything new that we saw in this trailer.

Now.. if his comments about that not being the final controller ring true, then I'll be more inclined to believe him, but this proves nothing.

Wasn't he the first person to mention the name?

EDIT: No, he wasn't. Forget it.

Does it really matter? If he's fake, one day some people on the internet will be disappointed, he'll say "lol I got u all" and be banned, and life moves on.

the NFC stuff for Ubi raises some questions

those figures did not seem like final retail products to me... I mean how do you package a heart, rabbid, and AssCreed together?

also if they are final, is the in game stuff they unlock Exclusive to WiiU or will PS3 have downloads or codes to unlock the same features

and thanks again IdeaMan

Erethian

those figures did not seem like final retail products to me... I mean how do you package a heart, rabbid, and AssCreed together?

also if they are final, is the in game stuff they unlock Exclusive to WiiU or will PS3 have downloads or codes to unlock the same features

and thanks again IdeaMan

It's more than likely this trailer wasn't intended for E3, as much as it was intended for gaming media who'd be under NDA, or retail partners. Which would also explain the use of stuff like Wii U controllers with gigantic cables running out of them.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If he's lying, well he's a really elaborate and crafty peace of work. Posters that have been verified and have actual insider sources and info to compare with his have even vouched for him and know we have confirmation on a wii u Rayman. How can you guys really be so skeptical at this point?

and thanks again IdeaMan

Perhaps on on other systems they could be compatable with the skylanders portal?

BurntPork

Banned
If he's lying, well he's a really elaborate and crafty peace of work. Posters that have been verified and have actual insider sources and info to compare with his have even vouched for him and know we have confirmation on a wii u Rayman. How can you guys really be so skeptical at this point?

Like I said, grain of salt.

Anyway, Ubisoft said before that they have six Wii U games in development, right?

1.)Killer Freaks
2.)Ghost Recon Online
3.)Assassin's Creed 3
4.)Rayman Legends
5.)Unannounced Rabbids game
6.)Your Shape

Is that correct?

Perhaps on on other systems they could be compatable with the skylanders portal?

The NFC stuff says it's exclusive.
I would guess that they'll either:

A) Bundle some of the items with the game and sell them later at stores.
B) Have them be preorder bonuses.
C) Only sell them at the stores but in limited quantities.

Perhaps Nintendo will be buying shelf space for NFC products for third parties even. That would be interesting.

Like I said, grain of salt.

Anyway, Ubisoft said before that they have six Wii U games in development, right?

1.)Killer Freaks
2.)Ghost Recon Online
3.)Assassin's Creed 3
4.)Rayman Legends
5.)Unannounced Rabbids game
6.)Your Shape

Is that correct?

It was actually a sports game, not Your Shape. And it's been canceled (Studio closure).

The NFC stuff says it's exclusive.
I would guess that they'll either:

A) Bundle some of the items with the game and sell them later at stores.
B) Have them be preorder bonuses.
C) Only sell them at the stores but in limited quantities.

Perhaps Nintendo will be buying shelf space for NFC products for third parties even. That would be interesting.

It was actually a sports game, not Your Shape. And it's been canceled (Studio closure).
LE Pikachu with surf figurine will be mine!

thanks to Ubisoft it took me a while to notice Sony's Smash copy is out in full force today :)

not sure how to feel about dark and grey mature smash bros lulz

but I guess it was a matter of time

Doesnt have to be from the same company, rock band can use guitar hero guitars

yeah true

Still Nintendo are not known for sharing... they may easily lock out the feature with exclusive coding... Skylanders can work with upad while Nintendo stuff does not play nice on skylander's portal because its missing a few lines of code that Nintendo added to its chips. So upad can read all NFC but other NFC devices cannot read your Pokemon because Nintendo does not share

This is how Nintendo works

this could still be exclusive content

orioto

Good Art™
Kids love to collect things. This is why trading card games and such have been so huge. Collections become a symbol of power for them.

Yeah card i can see the point but toys.. The idea of needing a plastic toy to do something that could be done with ... just pushing a button. I don't know, that seems inconvenient.
Or maybe small toys! But in the Rayman vid they're using the kind of toy you don't take out with you at school i don't know.

Yeah card i can see the point but toys.. The idea of needing a plastic toy to do something that could be done with ... just pushing a button. I don't know, that seems inconvenient.
Or maybe small toys! But in the Rayman vid they're using the kind of toy you don't take out with you at school i don't know.

The point is that they don't want you to be able to just push a button, they want you to pay a little extra for the bonuses, and I think most people would agree that DLC + cool swag is better than DLC on its own, assuming it's reasonably priced.

guek

Banned
yeah true

Still Nintendo are not known for sharing... they may easily lock out the feature with exclusive coding... Skylanders can work with upad while Nintendo stuff does not play nice on skylander's portal because its missing a few lines of code that Nintendo added to its chips. So upad can read all NFC but other NFC devices cannot read your Pokemon because Nintendo does not share

This is how Nintendo works

this could still be exclusive content

that's super easy to work around. nfc chips are incredibly small and probably cheap. just have multiple chips in each product, one of which is nintendo's "exclusive" chip

No, the toys in the Rayman video are about normal size.
Take a look at the Skylander toys sometime.
Those are the size of normal action figures, about. It's not so much for taking to school, but having a pile of them for when friends come over.
Though, I do fear that too many companies will try and jump on this and overload the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom