• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

This x10000

The people defending this functionality are missing the point. If we have to plunk it back down on a stand to use the Wiimotes, the only thing we've done is made the TV smaller and made the experience worse.

This is undoubtedly additional functionality but without actually being able to use the controls RIGHT ON THE TABLET, it's pointless.

its all about providing options, you don't have to use it

imagine a family, kids are watching cbeebies on the living room telly, the mum is watching Jeremy kyle on the bedroom telly, the dad can just put the pad on the stand and play xenoblade

By that logic you are assuming most families that buy gaming consoles share a single TV?

at the moment I only have a single tv, a nice big 3d one in the living room, I've got an old 14 inch telly in a cupboard somewhere but its analogue so its pretty useless now

DoubleTap

By that logic you are assuming most families that buy gaming consoles share a single TV?

You clearly missed the point that he made that the update isn't for you. Which you have made clear in several ways.

It still doesn't mean that this update benefits no one.

Somnid

The fantastically bad part of this argument which has existed since day one is it never mattered if you had 1 or 100 TVs in the average home. The average home that has a Wii U has exactly 1 and it's hooked-up to the primary TV. So how do you reconcile that if it's in use? Traditionally, you don't, but Wii U has options and options make it more playable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wii-U_GamePad_Stand.jpg

its not like this was packed in with the system is it?
Hey, guess what? It wasn't packed in with all systems.

Nags

Banned
You clearly missed the point that he made that the update isn't for you. Which you have made clear in several ways.

It still doesn't mean that this update benefits no one.

So this update is for kids and/or households with one television?

Kurt

Sorry to ask but is there option to boot right away to this wii gamepad mode (pressing b won't work , it still required tv)
Even when booting wii mode from the wii u menu, requires tv :/

Nags

Banned
Sorry to ask but is there option to boot right away to this wii gamepad mode (pressing b won't work , it still required tv)
Even when booting wii mode from the wii u menu, requires tv :/

Terrible if there is no work around for that.

JCX

its all about providing options, you don't have to use it

imagine a family, kids are watching cbeebies on the living room telly, the mum is watching Jeremy kyle on the bedroom telly, the dad can just put the pad on the stand and play xenoblade

I've been playing through Xenoblade now and wished I could play it on the gamepad. Using motion controls for wii games would be weird, but since I use CC Pro, it should be fine.

DoubleTap

Sure, whatever, why not? Does it make the update pointless? There are people, who like the fact that they can play their WiiU and now, Wii games without having to turn on their TV. It's an added feature. I could care less how many TV's people own.

Penguin

Silly question, but is there a way to make the Wii U GamePad the default sensor bar for Wii mode?

Figured.. easier than keeping the sensor bar around that way

Somnid

Silly question, but is there a way to make the Wii U GamePad the default sensor bar for Wii mode?

Figured.. easier than keeping the sensor bar around that way

It's not software controlled. If the camera at the end of the Wii Remote sees an IR light that's what it tracks against.

Roto13

You do realize that even homes with multiple TVs will often have game consoles hooked up to the same big central living room TV people like to watch, right?

Neff

ovcw.jpg

a33j.jpg

iv2r.jpg

These pics just don't do what I'm seeing justice. This is without a doubt the best I've ever seen this game look. The detail and clarity witnessed when displayed on the Gamepad screen is just stunning. As amazing as this feature is, we really need a control patch for it, or better yet, releases of this and Zero on the eShop.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Geometry Wars Galaxies in its full glory, in my bare hands?

..Oh, no classic controller emulation.

branny

Is it too unreasonable to expect future GamePad button mapping support for games that offer GameCube or Classic Controller options?

Vibranium

Banned
ovcw.jpg

a33j.jpg

iv2r.jpg

These pics just don't do what I'm seeing justice. This is without a doubt the best I've ever seen this game look. The detail and clarity witnessed when displayed on the Gamepad screen is just stunning. As amazing as this feature is, we really need a control patch for it, or better yet, releases of this and Zero on the eShop.

Oh my god, oh my god. If Nintendo added Gamepad controls I'd seriously have to think even harder about getting a Wii U. The REmake was made for the controller, this damn masterpiece should be on the PC too, screw the Nintendo contract. ;_;

Porcile

I'm loving this! Got the Champions League on the TV and my Gamepad propped up while I chill out on the sofa using the Classic Controller to play my old VC games. Not the the most fully featured implementation I suppose, but freakin' sweet none-the-less.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is it too unreasonable to expect future GamePad button mapping support for games that offer GameCube or Classic Controller options?

Yes.

The gamepad doesn't have the ability to send out a signal the Wii could recognize.

This is basically just sending the picture somewhere else, like if you were using capture equipment

If it were easy to make the gamepad or pro controller work with Wii games, then they would work. Give Nintendo a little credit here, they made the console so I would think that they have pretty inctricate knowledge of the hurdles involved in implementing this. Hopefully it's a nut they are able to crack eventually.

patientx

Guys I just realised there is something this needs :

The ability to be able to use the mic on the gamepad for singing games ! If they can use the gamepad's speakers for soundout maybe they can also use its mic for games that needs usb mics. That would be dope.

Porcile

Can someone explain why Wii mode doesn't work without being connected to the TV when going through HDMI? If I switch to 576i I can use Off-TV without a connection to the TV. I'm assuming it's to do with the different signals being sent?

Oregano

Just spent over an hour on My Life as a King. Man that game needs a sequel. If it was on 3DS I would probably play it 24/7.

no but you may want to be in the same room with your wife while she watches something and still play games?

or you might want to play games in bed without having your TV involved?
Guys I just realised there is something this needs :

The ability to be able to use the mic on the gamepad for singing games ! If they can use the gamepad's speakers for soundout maybe they can also use its mic for games that needs usb mics. That would be dope.

isnt that possible with wii karaoke u?
Just spent over an hour on My Life as a King. Man that game needs a sequel. If it was on 3DS I would probably play it 24/7.

There is a sequel My Life as a Darklord!

FFCC in general needs to be revived.

This is pretty useless for me. I don't have my Wii U connected on my TV if I use OFF-TV play and apparently if you go into WII-MODE its verifies if there is a hdmi or scart output !
So I constantly get the message if "Cant ACCES WII-MODE TRY AGAINN sigh*", thanks for the update Nintendo.

PusherT

Mad World looks so good on the wiipad. The game fit the screen so well and looks sharp. I like that you can plug in the headphones and play wii games right in the bed. Madworld is really fun and the music is good

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes.

The gamepad doesn't have the ability to send out a signal the Wii could recognize.

This is basically just sending the picture somewhere else, like if you were using capture equipment

The fact that as soon as you press a button in Wii mode on the gamepad a pop up appears and tells you it doesn't work means that the Wii mode is operating under a hypervisor. That hypervisor should be able to tunnel control messages to the Wii mode.

Skyzard

Banned
Does the game pad have its own sensorbar for the wii controller so I can at least play in bed? Almost good job ninty.

I guess there needs to be a connection between the two as well so probably gg.

So how are people holding up their game pads while playing? Does it have a stand?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Does the game pad have its own sensorbar for the wii controller so I can at least play in bed? Almost good job ninty.

Yep. there's a sensor bar built in to the black strip at the top.

G.O.O.

Excuse me but the configuration of my flat and those of my friends make this question quite surreal in my eyes

we all have girlfriends and none of us has any room for more than one TV. I mean, we don't all own a wii U, but come on...

Porcile

This is pretty useless for me. I don't have my Wii U connected on my TV if I use OFF-TV play and apparently if you go into WII-MODE its verifies if there is a hdmi or scart output !
So I constantly get the message if "Cant ACCES WII-MODE TRY AGAINN sigh*", thanks for the update Nintendo.

I had this problem. Switch your Wii U TV settings to 576i and it will work, Well, its working for me now, and I haven't got it plugged into a TV.

And don't forget to hold down B at power up to go straight into Wii Mode.

ibrahima

Banned
Seems a little crazy to me that the Gamepad's sensor bar is supported in Wii-mode, but nothing else is. I know it's been speculated elsewhere here that perhaps off-tv play in Wii-mode was an unintended benefit of something else Nintendo developed (like dual audio output, possibly? dunno). Maybe this is a peak at things to come?

As far as solving what seems to be everyone's new Nintendo nightmare; no Gamepad input in Wii-mode. I'd give one (fairly unlikely) suggestion; Nintendo can solve it with a new model of the Gamepad that can pretend to be a Classic Controller, just chuck in a bluetooth radio and include a hardware or software switch and be done with it.

Fuck.

I just said that didn't I?

I know that having to spend another what... maybe another eighty to a hundred £ / $ dollars to support improved legacy compatibility for a couple of dozen titles might seem crazy to a lot of existing owners (and it almost certainly is, especially for all those with new Wind Waker branded Gamepads that they've just got with their fresh new Wii Us) but as a non-Wii u owner with plenty of Wii games, fuck it, that would almost definitely tip me into buying one.

I recognise that there are still a bunch of Wii games that want you to select menus with the pointer and dick you around with the remote until you can opt to use the Classic Controller, but fuck those, I want semi-portable versions of Castlevania Rebirth and Megaman 9/10, that's what matters.

I am talking out of my arse here, and it will probably never happen, but a Gamepad that could pretend to be a Classic Controller and would let me play WiiWare and WiiVC on it would be fucking awesome, particularly as Nintendo's release schedule for Wii U VC is bordering on geriatric.

On the other hand it could just be a firmware update away given Nintendo's recent habit. I fucking hope so, I might actually buy one at this rate.

The fact that as soon as you press a button in Wii mode on the gamepad a pop up appears and tells you it doesn't work means that the Wii mode is operating under a hypervisor. That hypervisor should be able to tunnel control messages to the Wii mode.

Except that Wii Mode–and every individually programmed Wii game, since the Wii doesn't use an OS–is expecting bluetooth input.

And the Gamepad doesn't have bluetooth.

Nintendo can solve it with a new model of the Gamepad that can pretend to be a Classic Controller, just chuck in a bluetooth radio and include a hardware or software switch and be done with it.
Yep, I think that's the one thing that might actually make this possible. Unfortunately, Nintendo's not going to do it because think about what a nightmare that would be.

That said, I think it's possible we could see a 3rd party Gamepad that does this, someday.

Also, the sensor bar doesn't actually "sense" anything, it's just a couple of IR lights that the Wii Remote uses to orient itself. That's why it's "supported" in Wii Mode. All that the Gamepad is doing is turning on the invisible LEDs.

ibrahima

Banned
Also, the sensor bar doesn't actually "sense" anything, it's just a couple of IR lights that the Wii Remote uses to orient itself. That's why it's "supported" in Wii Mode. All that the Gamepad is doing is turning on the invisible LEDs.

You are completely right, and I am completely stupid, I even knew that already years ago! Damn... how did I forget that?

I had this problem. Switch your Wii U TV settings to 576i and it will work, Well, its working for me now, and I haven't got it plugged into a TV.

And don't forget to hold down B at power up to go straight into Wii Mode.

Thank you good sir you just made my day !! Wii-u update justifiedd !!

*Playing Xenoblade in bed*

Top Bottom