• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

jeffers

The fact that as soon as you press a button in Wii mode on the gamepad a pop up appears and tells you it doesn't work means that the Wii mode is operating under a hypervisor. That hypervisor should be able to tunnel control messages to the Wii mode.

gamepad has its own firmware, and the tv remote function on it works without the wiiu on ;)

Daknight

This will actually be useful for me to play Wii Fit till Wii Fut U comes out. Reason is that the TV we have is in our room and there isn't that much space in the room. This way I can move to the other room (dog room) that is beside ours and just use it there thanks to it having plenty of space. Hope the range is still good (been able to play in the living room). Sucks a bit having to start on the TV first, but a mild annoyance for now. This way I can start Wii Fit U training a month before :D

I know is a bit disapointing not controlling with the gamepad (or I would be playing some Wii games I never did get to finish that use CC). Still is a nice function to have :D

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Well Nintendo is half-way there....I have a ton of wii games...sold my wii...don't own a wiimote not gonna buy another wiimote

Finish the fight Nintendo and allow the games to be playable on the gamepad

ibrahima

Banned
Oh really! And the controllers pair with each other? (to get the wifi over bluetooth(?) range benefit).

Like has been already said, the sensor bar is just a pair of LEDs, there's nothing smart about them, you can even swap two lit candles for the sensor bar.

Well Nintendo is half-way there....I have a ton of wii games...sold my wii...don't own a wiimote not gonna buy another wiimote

ou really shouldn't own a wii u without either having (or intending to get) at least one wii remote plus, handily for you though theres some game + remote bundles out soon or some cool Mario & luigi remotes

Skyzard

Banned
Like has been already said, the sensor bar is just a pair of LEDs, there's nothing smart about them, you can even swap two lit candles for the sensor bar.

I remember, it's why I am asking about whether it has to still pair with the console or possibly the game pad?
It uses bluetooth right? The wii controller that is. Wouldn't be able to get it as far, only good for couch.
Also does the gamepad have a decent stand by any chance or does it stand up by itself well?

I remember, it's why I am asking about whether it has to still pair with the console or possibly the game pad?
It uses bluetooth right? The wii controller that is. Wouldn't be able to get it as far, only good for couch.
Also does the gamepad have a decent stand by any chance or does it stand up by itself well?

premium wii u come with a stand

Exile20

This is weird and just doesn't make sense especially considering you own Wii games also.
A lot of games come with a free wiimote+ now.

Even in its current state I think this is pretty cool. Played some Wave Race 64 in bed using the Gamepad stand and the classic controller. Game looks and sounds great (side note: this game holds up as well or better than any game from that gen) and controls are good. For anything that uses a CC or CC Pro I think it is pretty interesting.

Haines

Banned
If I'm ever traveling, you can bet my nerdy ass is gonna bring my Wii U along and take advantage of this. I was just playing Metroid Prime 3 and RE4 with Wii controls in my bed. I don't care how silly I'll look, cuz that's awesome.

Yeah, I would just use my 3DS....

Anyone notice if they added a hard reset functionality to the system?

I had mine do a full on freeze while using the browser and couldn't get it to shut off by conventional means. I was ready to go pull the power plug, because that's the only thing that's worked in the past, and I thought I'd try holding down the console power button just for kicks. To my surprise, it made a loud crackle noise through my speakers after 10 seconds or so, but shut off. When I turned it back on, there was a message there giving directions on how to do a hard restart (Which it said would always display after a hard restart). I've never seen that before or had holding the power button down work during a hard lock. Anyone else have this experience?

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I had mine do a full on freeze while using the browser and couldn't get it to shut off by conventional means. I was ready to go pull the power plug, because that's the only thing that's worked in the past, and I thought I'd try holding down the console power button just for kicks. To my surprise, it made a loud crackle noise through my speakers after 10 seconds or so, but shut off. When I turned it back on, there was a message there giving directions on how to do a hard restart (Which it said would always display after a hard restart). I've never seen that before or had holding the power button down work during a hard lock. Anyone else have this experience?
Hard reset functionality has literally been on the system for months. Hold power button for four seconds.

FyreWulff

I don't get it... Does the game pad act as a sensor bar or what?

uwLuzHh.jpg

top middle

This was added in the previous update.

Desiato

I hope the homebrew crew gets out a fix soon for the 4:3 ratio problem. My entire Pal game collection is now in 4:3 on my Japanese Wii U thanks to this update. I actually think the update is great, but am bummed about this side-effect.

patientx

There is a forwarder out there for Homebrew Channel which forces it to 16:9 so all the apps you open inside it also becomes 16:9.

KHlover

Banned
Tried it out yesterday. Holy fuck do Wii games look good on the gamepad. Dat free Anti-Aliasing *_*

Played Metroid: Other M and Skyward Sword. Controls worked as good as on the big screen (->reminded me just how much shooting missiles in Other M sucks, I need to install HBC on my WiiU ASAP and remap that shit), I was especially pleased by Skyward Sword. Due to the size of the screen all you need to do is swing the Wiimote with your wrist :D

masud

Banned
Tried it out yesterday. Holy fuck do Wii games look good on the gamepad. Dat free Anti-Aliasing *_*

Played Metroid: Other M and Skyward Sword. Controls worked as good as on the big screen (->reminded me just how much shooting missiles in Other M sucks, I need to install HBC on my WiiU ASAP and remap that shit), I was especially pleased by Skyward Sword. Due to the size of the screen all you need to do is swing the Wiimote with your wrist :D

The size of the screen has nothing to do with your movements. You could play ss on the wii with just your wrist.

sfried

I've been thinking deeply about how the GamePad might be utilized as a Classic Controller, but in doing so it would still have to be paired with a corresponding Wii Remote if it were to do so. Most of GAF seem to think the GamePad alone can replicate all of the Wii Remote's functions and probably replace the IR with touchpad controls, but as some have said, theat is going to take a lot of effort considering the stuff I mentioned about many games having inconsistent aspect ratios.

So I think in the meantime, a really slick Wii Mode boot should be implemented. Knowing the part before booting the Wii portion, instead of just having just two options where you point your Wii Remote on the desired option on the screen, a third option (Display only on GamePad) should appear on the GamePad itself: To activate it, you just simply point your Wii Remote on the GamePad, and not only should it make the Sensor Bar settings automatically adjust so that it is set to "Above TV", but it also allows you to bypass the need for a TV to start Wii Mode. That means so long as you can pair a Wii Remote to the Wii U, you can start start Wii Mode on Gamepad with the system assuming that said paired controller has a Classic Controller Pro connected to it, provided no other devices are connected physically to the active Wii Remote.

I know GAF would rather get rid of the need for Wii Remotes entirely, but the problem is IR is native to the system, and is even still active while using Classic Controllers.

User Tron

If the Wii U pad still sends out the commands of the sticks and buttons, it should be possible to make an adapter that translates those into Wiimote commands and retransmit them.Maybe someone can test this with a pc and the program for receiving the pad commands.

Wii games look pretty awful on the gamepad imo, dont get why they appear so soft when the gamepad and Wii resolution are so similar.

maybe Nintendo can make an adaptor so a wiimote can be plugged into it then habe the gamepad recognised as a cap.

I wonder why they bothered though to be honest,
A- you need the tv on even have wii games appear on the gamepad, unless you change the res in settings.
B- now people are gonna be further demanding the gamepad be used when in Wii mode, casuals will surely be dumbfounded as to why it isnt possible.

Actually there shouldn't be any AA. The pad is 480p, just like the Wii outputs. It's as jaggy as ever. :p Smaller screen makes it less noticeable, though.

Drillow

AFAIK, Wii outputs at 640x480 (4:3 image stretched on wide-screen).
Wii U Gamepad is 854 x 480, so it's not really 1:1

B- now people are gonna be further demanding the gamepad be used when in Wii mode, casuals will surely be dumbfounded as to why it isnt possible.

Casuals would be dumbfounded if they booted up a remote-only game and were told to "unplug the classic controller" but as far as they could see, there's nothing plugged in anywhere.

Turrican3

expecting a consumer using a portable device to suddenly need to use peripherals when the buttons are RIGHT THERE is laughable.

While I see your point regarding games that support Classic Controller (I agree that Nintendo should find a way to use the Gamepad as a replacement, assuming it makes sense from the technical, security and practical point of view as others have already said) I'd find awkward - to say the least - playing anything that makes heavy use of the wiimote (and possibly nunchuck) on the GamePad replacing the original controls with more or less complicated button replacements.

That's obviously not even taking into consideration motionplus-only titles like Red Steel 2 or Wii Sports Resort that would make things even more complicated regarding practical usability and basically require a "real" wiimote.

On the whole, in my opinion this is a nice feature that came unexpected, I don't really understand all the complaints... the way I see it is like the PS3 browser, definitely far from being perfect but hey, it's free, built-in and for me better having it than not.

MDX

As far as solving what seems to be everyone's new Nintendo nightmare; no Gamepad input in Wii-mode. I'd give one (fairly unlikely) suggestion; Nintendo can solve it with a new model of the Gamepad that can pretend to be a Classic Controller, just chuck in a bluetooth radio and include a hardware or software switch and be done with it.

Why do they need to come out with a whole new gamepad?
Why cant they just sell a small Bluetooth dongle that can attach to the gamepad,
for those people who are really interested in playing Wii games.

As a matter of fact, that could be what they are planning. By teasing
everyone with this latest update, they can get them to buy into a dongle and make
money on a small accessory.

krumble

Was playing The Last Story on my pro controller on my bed last night - Wii games scale well to the gamepad screen and was a great experience really

D-e-f-

Banned
One step forward, two steps back.
With this sort of implementation I really don't see any reason to play Wii mode on the gamepad. I'll just stick to the big screen.

There's no step back. It's only forward. You lose nothing, you only gain. Would GP button support be awesome? Hells yea! Is it necessary to make this incredibly awesome? Hells no!

Just my opinion. How on earth does your comment leave you in a better position? The level of damage control from some fans here is shocking.

There can be no damage control without damage. Stop being silly.

Only if you were one of the crazy folks who bought the Deluxe package, but I digress. I think part of the ideology behind off-TV play is that you can walk around or sit on the couch or lay in your bed and play, not set everything up elsewhere to have a 5" mini-TV.

You mean the crazy people who make up the vast majority of Wii U owners. The ones with enough foresight to see the benefits in that package?

Does the update add pro controller support for NSMBU by any chance?

No. The NSMBU update from two months ago added pro controller support to NSMBU, though. :)

I don't get it... Does the game pad act as a sensor bar or what?

wii-u-detailsr7k85.jpg

EloquentM

aka Mannny
DEF putting in that work. It's just funny to me that in most negative wii u threads the posters either don't have a wii U or barely play theirs.

JCX

I'm not sure if I'm ready to migrate my whole Wii over. Would it be okay to just copy the xenoblade save file to an SD card then load it of the Wii U?

zruben

Banned
I'm not sure if I'm ready to migrate my whole Wii over. Would it be okay to just copy the xenoblade save file to an SD card then load it of the Wii U?

not all games allow the save file to be copied... I'm not sure if Xenoblade is one of them.

if you can't maybe there are homebrew apps that lets you do that.

D-e-f-

Banned

not all games allow the save file to be copied... I'm not sure if Xenoblade is one of them.

if you can't maybe there are homebrew apps that lets you do that.

Xenoblade can be copied no problem!

That said, I did my Wii->WiiU transfer yesterday. It was quite time consuming due to all the re-downloading after moving it over. What's weird is that the part from SD->WiiU takes a lot longer than Wii->SD.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Xenoblade can be copied no problem!

That said, I did my Wii->WiiU transfer yesterday. It was quite time consuming due to all the re-downloading after moving it over. What's weird is that the part from SD->WiiU takes a lot longer than Wii->SD.
Data management is probably handled differently so files are possibly being converted so that the wii U can actually interpret the data?

Techies

Just repeating what I posted in another forum. Just a shame I can't use this new method of aiming on Wii u specific games.

The wii-remote almost feels more accurate than a mouse.

So I updated my Wii U and saw the new feature regarding playing wii games on the gamepad, got excited until I saw that the gamepad's buttons was basically unusable and had to use the wii controller instead.

I first thought to myself pointing a wii controller at such a small screen won't work well, but I was wrong, it was pretty accurate, actually it was more accurate a required less movement.

Since what you see on the gamepad was mirrored on the big screen I thought to myself, instead of pointing to sensor bar on the TV, why not point to the gamepad instead and see how well that translates on the big screen.

While sitting down, and with a few wrist movements I could instantly put the crosshair at any pixel I could visibly see in an instant with great accuracy. For the heck of it I kept switching between the the sensor bar on TV and to the gamepad. Whenever I switched to the TV I found myself having to move my whole arm and needed to stand up, whilst on the gamepad I could remain seated and just move my wrists while my arm rested on my side.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just utilized this playing Mario Kart Wii local multiplayer. Fantastic.

Berg

Just repeating what I posted in another forum. Just a shame I can't use this new method of aiming on Wii u specific games.

The wii-remote almost feels more accurate than a mouse.

Hmm, never have had to stand up and move anything above my wrist when playing with the wiimote. It's all in the wrist....and settings. (specifically COD; dead zones, sensitivities, etc.)

sfried

If the Wii U pad still sends out the commands of the sticks and buttons, it should be possible to make an adapter that translates those into Wiimote commands and retransmit them.Maybe someone can test this with a pc and the program for receiving the pad commands.

Nah, you can't emulate pointer commands, not even with the touchscreen (remember that different games have peculiar aspect ratios and resolutions, like the games just mentioned trying out). It would laso be very impractical to make the GamePad act like a gigantic Wii Remote...considering the screen that you'll be using is the GamePad's.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nah, you can't emulate pointer commands, not even with the touchscreen (remember that different games have peculiar aspect ratios and resolutions, like the games just mentioned trying out). It would laso be very impractical to make the GamePad act like a gigantic Wii Remote...considering the screen that you'll be using is the GamePad's.
Yeah, but in certain games that only have Wiimote cursor features for no particular reason except as a gimmick (Or second player feature) like Galaxy which only uses it for collecting starbits out of reach, it wouldn't be a problem. They could even release patches for those games to either remove the need for that ability, couldn't they? Maybe not. Or maybe. I dunno. Wii games can be patched, right? Would be a nice dream. Even if they only patched a handful of games like Galaxy 1+2 and Twilight Princess (Skyward Sword would probably be a problem because of the Motion+ swordplay.) I'd be happy.

But whatever.

Zero148

just played some Mario galaxy 2 while watching CL. Really nice new feature.

Had the Gamepad on the charging cradle on the table, had a blast

Wii games can be patched, right?

No, that's the problem. The Wii gave all control to the game as soon as it was launched, even the HOME menu is actually built into games. That's why no Wii game was ever patched - be sure if it was possible, Nintendo would've fixed the glitches in Mario Kart Wii like they did on the 3DS with Mario Kart 7.

Skyward Sword's “patch” is just a channel that you have to boot and that edited your game save, it wasn't a patch.

Top Bottom