• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

Cbajd5

Wait...

you can't use the gamepad to play it? even if it doesn't have motion controls?

I don't think the Gamepad works off of Bluetooth like the Wii Remotes do, so it's not easily possible.

I'm just basing this off of the fact that no homebrew lets you do that, although we can use all the Wii Remote combinations and PS3 controllers we want now.

Sandfox

I'll probably just use the stand to prop my gamepad on desk if I want to play a Wii game while watching TV or something.

ALM5252

HOLY SH*T!!!!

Now I can play Project M in bed while my girlfriend watches netflix! :D
I can even take it on the go now! :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
wait. If you need the wii mote, you need the sensor and to be near the system itself. So... it changes nothing but giving you a small screen to play on for those without a tv....

...why?

Damn son that's awesome, probably won't work well with motion heavy games but for traditional control games like Xenoblade it should be fantastic.

But what about games that don't necessarily use the remote? LIke...Mario Kart Wii...?

Or...OMG the Wii version of Resident Evil REmake!!!

The Boat

wait. If you need the wii mote, you need the sensor and to be near the system itself. So... it changes nothing but giving you a small screen to play on for those without a tv....

...why?

The gamepad has a sensor bar where the camera is.

Captain N

...why?

The gamepad has a sensor bar above the screen.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Without the ability to map Gamepad controls to games that don't need the Wii Remote it's kind of a useless feature?

So wait.. lemme get this straight.. I JUST NEED TO UNDERSTAND, K!?

So, liek, I still have to play Wii games with a Wiimote? An I still need to use the pad pro for the other games?

OMGZ FAIL

/gaf

lol, I can't get over how pointless this is, it seems like they added this feature for laughs

I'm seriously cracking up also. They really think they have something with this "You don't need to use the TV" idea. I thought Miyamoto was only pimping it because they don't have any game ideas for the GamePad. This company is beyond clueless.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
everyone's reaction
0255_lmyx.gif

Orbis

This is fucking stupid. You can use the gamepad screen but not the actual controller? Did I read that incorrectly? A ton of wii games have alternate control methods that don't require the wii remote.
Yup. Probably something to do with the Wii OS requiring a Wiimote, but I'm sure if they tried hard enough, they'd be able to come up with a solution to that. Like, mapping the 'pointer' to the touchscreen. This is almost completely pointless in its current form. I'd imagine it's a little more complex behind the scenes due to actual Wii hardware being run rather than an emulated system. Hijacking the video output and sending it to the pad is probably relatively simple.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What's the technical hurtle that prevents them from letting wii pro/classic controller games work on the gamepad?

CLEEK

This is hilarious.

I did a double take in the firmware thread when people started saying Wii games worked on the Gamepad, seeing as Nintendo had previous said it wasn't possible. Seems they're weren't fibbing.

Alfredo

the update is live, right? Someone please confirm or deny that the Gamepad can be used as a Classic Controller...

ALM5252

Maybe if enough people go on miiverse and say that we want the gamepad to have some sort of Wii Remote Emulation, they can try to make another update to implement it.

I'd be happy if the Gamepad was detected as a Wii Classic Controller.

linko9

Damn it, I should have waited to play Xenoblade. But this is awesome anyway, I've still got a ton of unplayed Wii games that would look like ass on my TV.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A tiny TV for the henpecked Nintendo fan to play alone when chased into their punishment crawlspace where a normal TV would never fit. Bathe in the warm glow of old Wii games as they remember bygone days of being allowed to play them on the big screen. It gets the hose again.

Nilaul

What abouit games that use the clasic controller or pro controller on the Wii? Do u still need a wimote?

Top Bottom