• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

Ok, just got done trying it out. I can confirm 100% that the Gamepad cannot be used as controller for any Wii game or even any Wii VC game. You still need a Wii remote and/or a classic controller.

Hype severely deflated.

ALM5252

Or, the correct one, "doing 100% BC requires the system to become a Wii. Thereby removing any ability for the console to recognize anything beyond what the Wii had". It's not emulation, it's a virtual machine that is literally a Wii. Breaking the 99.9% BC it has isn't really a good option, because it's not emulated.

When I use Devolution on the Wii U to play some of my GameCube games, I use the Pro Controller. The Wii didn't have the Pro Controller, yet some hackers figured out how to make it work. They also got the PS3 controller to work as well.

Lunzio

It took away from developer hours where they could have been spent on another worthwhile features. Honestly, Wii games on the Gamepad where you can't use the gamepad as a controller are completely and utterly useless. Who the fuck is going to prop that up in front of them to play a Wii game? Seriously. Are people that starved for Wii gaming time on their bigger TVs?

That time passed a long, long while ago.

To be fair, I don't believe you know exactly how many hours or development time was placed into this part of the update. I'm certainly not saying that this is perfect by any means. What I am saying is that there's a very glass half-empty approach to thought with the criticism.

One immediate idea for use is not having the ability to use the television that the Wii U is hooked up to... and using a gamepad + stand. Having that option is not a detriment to your gaming abilities.

I've been very critical of Nintendo for the last year, but this is not one of the things that warrants such a vitriolic response.

Doesn't the Wii U basically transform into a Wii when switching to Wii mode? And now it can use the gamepad as a TV with this off-tv feature. It sounds like complications probably interfered with having the gamepad acts as a TV+controller.

Clefargle

This means the entire vc library for Wii can now be played in bed with a Wii remote turned sideways. Good enough for me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ok, just got done trying it out. I can confirm 100% that the Gamepad cannot be used as controller for any Wii game or even any Wii VC game. You still need a Wii remote and/or a classic controller.

Hype severely deflated.

Damn. The fact that they bothered to hack this feature through and release it makes me suspect there's a hardware level issue preventing mapping / spoofing the classic controller.

Says it all:
IMG_20130930_212453_zpsa9c84315.jpg

EMT0

Banned
If you can't use the Gamepad to control Wii games, the purpose of this just got flushed down the drain. Come on Nintendo.

TrueBlue

People actually thought that Wiimote intensive games would suddenly be controlled with the Gamepad? Really? Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword would have to be re-tuned considerably.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would ASSUME since this was even possible that the GamePad CAN be used as a CCPro replacement, surely?

The gamepad screen appears to come on even before buttons on the gamepad have function. To me this sounds like a really, really dirty hack to pipe Wii video through the gamepad, but otherwise the Wii mode remains sealed off from touching anything. Including inputs from the buttons on the gamepad.

Darryl

Banned
Yeah it's more like moving sideways. Like driving on the yellow line. o_O;

Such a weird oversight. Surely someone during development realized this was an issue?

It's just adding something that was weird to never have. I think if they were relying on Wii games (currently being clearanced out of stores everywhere) being played away from the TV (even though the most popular games would still be unplayable without motion) to stand as a powerful checkpoint on their console than they would've had this feature at launch. People are just reading into it way too deep. It's a cute quirk of the system.

StevieP

Banned
When I use Devolution on the Wii U to play some of my GameCube games, I use the Pro Controller. The Wii didn't have the Pro Controller, yet some hackers figured out how to make it work. They also got the PS3 controller to work as well.

Devolution is an emulator, and is subject to both the pros and cons of such an approach. The Wii mode on Wii U is a virtual machine that has, basically, 99.9% compatibility because it turns the Wii U into a Wii. That's why you don't have Gamepad support.

Cbajd5

Says it all:

Wait, does it say that if you try to use the Gamepad? That's kind of neat.

Damn. The fact that they bothered to hack this feature through and release it makes me suspect there's a hardware level issue preventing mapping / spoofing the classic controller.

Well yeah, the Gamepad does everything over WiFi while the Wii Remote uses Bluetooth. The best they might be able to do is make the Wii U Pro Controller be recognized as a Classic Controller Pro or something, but if any Classic Controller Pro + Wii Remote set-up's allow for the Wii Remote to still do stuff then it probably wouldn't work either.

Sophia

Devolution is an emulator, and is subject to both the pros and cons of such an approach. The Wii mode on Wii U is a virtual machine that has, basically, 99.9% compatibility because it turns the Wii U into a Wii. That's why you don't have Gamepad support.

Uh. Devolution is a USB loader, not an emulator...

Well yeah, the Gamepad does everything over WiFi while the Wii Remote uses Bluetooth. The best they might be able to do is make the Wii U Pro Controller be recognized as a Classic Controller Pro or something, but if any Classic Controller Pro + Wii Remote set-up's allow for the Wii Remote to still do stuff then it probably wouldn't work either.

That is what people want. :\ nvm, misunderstood you.

ohlawd

Tatsunoko vs Capcom. The very kind of game you'd want to use this feature with.

Thanks for answering.

Looking back on it; this really is a sidestep. I was only thinking about games that needed motion control like SMG and Skyward Sword but then I remembered games like Xenoblade where you don't need the Wiimote at all.

Sayter

Yeah, I'm going to try Tri (HA) after this LONG update installs (40mins o_O) and see if CCPro is mapped to the Pad.

At the very least, this eliminates upscaling as it's basically native-res on the GamePad.

Also, the Pad can have a stand, so you don't have to play on your lap.

But why would you even want to play a Wii game on the controller pad screen in the first place?

I'm still getting a WiiU for Bayonetta 2 when it comes out. But this update has me completely dumb struck.

Hype severely deflated.

Then what was the fuckin' point

was someone seriously asking to play with their little Wiimote on Off-TV play

like what the hell great use of resources here

rjc571

Banned
Damn, don't see why they can't patch some of the Wiimote's controls into the gamepad. They should be able to use the gyro for tilt, at least. I'd buy a Wii U if I could play the Kororinpa games on the gamepad.

TunaLover

So Wii mode is something else then, it has now access to WiiU resources? It would be interesting if now the Homebrew scene can find out more uses for the Gamepad, Devolution already support a lot of controller options, so maybe djTuei can hack the thing to use in Gamecube games.

TrueBlue

Thanks for answering.

Looking back on it; this really is a sidestep. I was only thinking about games that needed motion control like SMG and Skyward Sword but then I remembered games like Xenoblade where you don't need the Wiimote at all.

Hmm. The idea is great, and a good extension of what the system is about. The execution is a little middling though, hopefully they can add in Gamepad support to Wii games that didn't rely on the Wii Remote as much.

Yado

Who sat down and thought this was something Wii U users really needed? Why would they even do this...

ALM5252

It's not an emulator. It does exactly what the Wii U does when entering Wii Mode. It makes the Wii U that thinks it's a Wii think it's a GameCube. No emulation at all.

zroid

Banned
weird as it sounds, I might actually use this despite lack of GamePad control. It'll let me watch my football or whatever on the TV while I play brawl etc. muted. Just the idea of playing Wii games on a small (native res!) screen is kind of neat on its own, lol.

Somnid

There's a lot. First of which is highjacking the input process to remap the controls. Very non-trivial in a compatibility mode but let's just leave that part alone. The next problem is you introduce config hell. What does pressing left on the analog stick even mean? Wiimote left? Wiimote up (vertical orientation)? CC stick Left? GCN stick left? Nunchuck Left? That has to be determined by the user and certainly it's not obvious for an end user who may not understand what control type the software is even designed to use because it's a complete mess. And it needs to have permutations with and without peripherals because those attachment events matter too and you need a way to emulate that. After all that we still need to map it to a port, GCN 1-4 or Wii 1-4. But even after all that maybe only a fraction of Wii games would actually work without expecting a Wii Remote with IR (IR emulation via touch being yet another can of worms). Essentially, it a highly technical feature that deeply depends on the user knowing exactly how they want to play and knowing what the software expects. It's a problem where a little bit of thought makes you understand there's a lot more involved here. It's not impossible but there are deep problems.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Who was even asking for this?

I don't have a CC pro to test if that works, but I sincerely doubt it. This seems to lock out all the buttons and ports on the Gamepad. You can't even got back to the home screen from the Gamepad.

Top Bottom