• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

I was going to congratulate you on a sound post, Ninja Scooter:

if they let you do it on Wii games, they'd have to let you do it on VC games, which means they then can't re-charge you again for VC games you already bought.

But then you edited it to include some hyperbolic venom:

They basically turned the Wii U into one of these:

misc_gamecubescreen.jpg

only for a system that is already dead. Not exactly a hot feature in 2013.

:(

Wouldn't allowing GamePad control for Wii games kind of throw a spanner in the works of Nintendo's plan to charge a fee to upgrade each individual Wii Virtual Console game to run on the GamePad?

Bingo, indeed.

Phanservice

Neo Member
I saw this news like 40 min ago. Was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper exited to use this feature. I mean, mario galaxy and xenoblade in bed? HELL YEA. then i came home to read "can't use gamepad to control" and then i thought "THIS IS ********* USELESS!" Always a catch eh Nintendo?.....pretty disappointing update so far.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Try reading the thread next time before you blindly jump to the defense

I have. I've been reading every page and about every post. And I understand the VC reasoning, but for Wii software, there are maybe about like... 7 games that purely can rely on the CC that I can think of. I don't see Nintendo bothering to go out of their way for those 7 games.

Hell, I read the thread title and was able to know exactly what was meant.

I was going to congratulate you on a sound post, Ninja Scooter:

But then you edited it to include some hyperbolic venom:

Really though if you can't use the actual buttons and d-pad/analog sticks sitting right there on the game pad themselves, then what else is this? They've turned their gamepad into a cheap 3rd party accessory.

Cbajd5

Wouldn't allowing GamePad control for Wii games kind of throw a spanner in the works of Nintendo's plan to charge a fee to upgrade each individual Wii Virtual Console game to run on the GamePad?

Kind of, but it's more the "complete technical incompatibility" thing.

*Bingo*. We have a winner.

Not really. More like they haven't figured it out yet...unless you think simply using the gamepad buttons is a bigger attraction than being able to play on the gamepad at all (which I can't possibly see being the case)

mantidor

Damn. The fact that they bothered to hack this feature through and release it makes me suspect there's a hardware level issue preventing mapping / spoofing the classic controller.

Pretty much, the same reason the remote or anything Wii doesn't work in Wii's Gamecube mode, backwards compatibility in Nintendo hardware is not emulation, is the actual hardware minimized and put inside the thing.

The Boat

Yes, one of the only ones!

The pad screen is simply too small for it to be of any real benefit used in this way. Holding it in your hands is a different matter entirely.

What a load of bull. I'm playing it on my desk right now and it works perfectly.

sensui-tomo

Pretty much, the same reason the remote or anything Wii doesn't work in Wii's Gamecube mode, backwards compatibility in Nintendo hardware is not emulation, is the actual hardware minimized and put inside the thing.
didnt modders find a way around that with CFW for the wii-u's wii mode in CFW ?

Not sure why some people are salty about this considering it's a free feature that we didn't have before. It definitely could have been MORE awesome, but it still is pretty rad.

The fact that Wii games can't be mapped to the gamepad is perfectly fine. In fact, it's expected. The real issue here is that not even VC games can be mapped to the gamepad. And this, my friends, is absolutely baffling on every level. If Nintendo had made it so that you could play Wii VC games without a second controller, they would have singlehandedly solved their ENTIRE problem with the Wii U's shitty VC library. Right then and there, they would have instantly gained the entire Wii VC library on Wii U, off-TV play and all. No more having to drip-feed a couple of games weekly (except to fill in the gaps with new releases, of course *coughMother3cough*) due to an embarrassing lack of resources, and THAT much more of an incentive for any customer on the fence to pick up the damn thing. It would save the company so much work in having to re-emulate every single retro game, so the fact that this feature isn't available at this very instant is just pathetic. I can only hope Nintendo come to their senses and patch this in as soon as possible. They may lose the extra cash from charging people to upgrade, but at this point that issue should be the least of their concerns.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
brb tranferring my wii data to wii u.

This is what I wanted day 1, the value for Wii u is getting better and better.

Except the GamePad sends control signals over WiFi while the Wii Mode only takes in control signals over Bluetooth.

It's like asking for the PS2 to work with PS3 controllers.

See above. If it's possible in any form it'd probably already be done for PC outside of the Web Browser Input Support -> Local Web Page -> PC stuff.

Simple answer: Hijackable output streams are a lot safer than hijackable input streams

Here's a better answer.

This feature didn't exist at first and people made up reasons for why Nintendo couldn't or wouldn't do it. Then Nintendo spent *months* to roll out an unannounced feature. They spent the time and energy into getting the Gamepad to display in Wiimode. But then they stopped and didn't spend the effort into mapping CCP buttons to Gamepad buttons. Now people are making up reasons for why Nintendo couldn't or wouldn't do it.

Answer: It's called effort. They put the effort into the wii mode gamepad video stream... and then didn't put the effort into the CCP button mapping. Period. All your tech talk is just a problem that they didn't bother to solve.

FYI.. Gamepad screen video is wifi. Gamepad button inputs are bluetooth.

Really though if you can't use the actual buttons and d-pad/analog sticks sitting right there on the game pad themselves, then what else is this? They've turned their gamepad into a cheap 3rd party accessory.

You don't have to cart the entire console and its cords around with you, making it still majorly more portable than the example you provided.

Also, the Wii U Deluxe (now the only available model) comes with a small plastic stand usable for just such a purpose...I don't know why everyone keeps suggesting they "use their feet."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the Wii U simply contain a Wii chip inside of it? When you're in Wii mode, you're just playing using that bit of the hardware, right? If that's the case, I could totally understand why the Gamepad wouldn't be compatible.

I'm curious how some Wii games are going to look like when they're being displayed on a screen close to their native resolution.

Beyond that the lack of tablet-to-CC-support is duuuuuuuuuuuuumb as all fuck. If I can map a 360 controller to Smash Bros. on the Dolphin, I don't see why Nintendo can't map their own controller to the previous Wii game when it already supported the CC/GCN controllers.

jbueno

Castle of Shikigami III and the Milestone shmups should be awesome with this. A conveniente and quick TATE setup.

espher

Still fantastic for me for moar Xenoblade time. Ideally we could use the Gamepad as a CC Pro down the road.

I approve 1,000x.

I find funny how people defend this trash. Fucking useless for 90% of the userbase. =/

Glad you speak for 90% of the userbase...and what exactly makes it useless? For all the people who sold all their wii controllers? Because if you have them I'm not sure how it's useless

Anth0ny

Didn't home brew people make the Wii u pro controller work with GameCube games loaded off a USB? Any chance they could make the gamepad work with Wii virtual console games running off the gamepad screen?

Maedhros

So, because it's useful to me I should not be happy?
Yes.

Of course a very small part of the fanbase will benefit from this, but at least they could recognize this is half-assed. Why wouldn't they allow at least the games that play with Classic Controller be playable on the WiiU pad? Terrible.

Glad you speak for 90% of the userbase...and what exactly makes it useless? For all the people who sold all their wii controllers? Because if you have them I'm not sure how it's useless

I doubt most of the people even were expecting it to work like this. OF COURSE they were expecting the pad to work at least on the games that can use the Classic Controller.

steveovig

It amazes me that they can put out a feature like this but they can't bother to/figure out how to put GBA games on any of their consoles as a regular feature?

Lumyst

Well well well what a nice treat to come home to, the implications of this firmware level stuff that affects Wii mode...nah. I'll be content with this for now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Welp, here I am playin Mario Kart Wii with the Wii Wheel sitting back at my desk, GamePad sittin pretty in its little stand. Aint that just the silliest thing.

And with headphones! Now there's a bonus I hadn't even considered.

Edit: Ah, Ninja Scooter pipped me to the post!
This argument would make more sense if they were actually doing that!

Gamepad support as a CC pro, Nintendo. Do it.

1) not going to re-release Xenoblade in HD anyway
2) Mario Galaxy won't work with the CC pro, so they can still re-release it, if nothing else!

VARIA

I was so close to caving in and buying a Wii U.

SO FUCKING CLOSE!

Being able to play all my Wii/VC games from anywhere would've been so awesome.

Ah, well. Money saved.

Didn't home brew people make the Wii u pro controller work with GameCube games loaded off a USB? Any chance they could make the gamepad work with Wii virtual console games running off the gamepad screen?

It depends on whether the controller is "exposed" to the Wii mode. If the Wii mode has no access to it, that's it. No access. If it can "see" the Wii U gamepad but is otherwise disabled for some reason, it's very possible.

Here's a better answer.

This feature didn't exist at first and people made up reasons for why Nintendo couldn't or wouldn't do it. Then Nintendo spent *months* to roll out an unannounced feature. They spent the time and energy into getting the Gamepad to display in Wiimode. But then they stopped and didn't spend the effort into mapping CCP buttons to Gamepad buttons. Now people are making up reasons for why Nintendo couldn't or wouldn't do it.

Answer: It's called effort. They put the effort into the wii mode gamepad video stream... and then didn't put the effort into the CCP button mapping. Period. All your tech talk is just a problem that they didn't bother to solve.

nope gamepad button inputs are wifi too

Cbajd5

Here's a better answer.

Okay, show me anything that shows that Gamepad inputs are Bluetooth.

The Pro Controller is Bluetooth, not the Gamepad. It's why you can have a Gamepad and 4 Wii Remotes/WIi U Pro Controllers connected in games that support it. It's why Wii Homebrew supports Wii Remotes/Wii U Pro Controllers/PS3 Controllers but not the Gamepad. Because those are all Bluetooth EXCEPT the Gamepad.

ALM5252

Edit: Ah, Ninja Scooter pipped me to the post!

I would probably upgrade a few of them depending on the game. I mean, the Wii U upscales the VC games great. Super Mario World and Super Metroid look 10x better than they did on Wii on my HD TV.

So for games like Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Mario 64, etc I'd upgrade them if they look very nice and clean. Plus save states and Miiverse would make the experience better.

EDIT: Either way, I'm sure the Wii Homebrew scene will find a way to make Gamepad act as a CCP during Wii mode. They might have to make an independent loader similar to Devolution (without USB loader support) that will "patch" the game you are playing and detect the Gamepad. Shouldn't be too hard if they kinda make it like the Riivolution app that patches games. You can have text files that have the button-mapping done for a specific game (matching the games ID) and then it patches the controller.

Now I want that to happen at the very least if Nintendo won't.

Toad.T

Banned
I find funny how people defend this trash. Fucking useless for 90% of the userbase. =/

The fact is, I entirely understand. Too many times I've had updates that were beneficial for others mean nothing to me. As such, I know everyone's pain.

-Should there be base level gamepad support for classic controller enabled/VC games?
Yes.
-Should the likes of waggle-light games (Such as the Galaxys, TP, DKCR) have said function mapped to a gamepad button, while you can use the other buttons on the gamepad?
Yes.
-Should you be able to at least use the home menu button as an instant transport to WiiU mode?
Yes.

I am not defending this by any means. Nintendo had an idea that may have had some potential, but botched it with less than stellar execution. (A phenomena you could say about most ideas from 3DS onward, but that's another thread.) I guess I'm just part of that 10%, and wanted to report my experiences as such. I'm sorry if the original post came off as me being a corporate-cheerleader.

Darryl

Banned

I was just never expecting to get this to begin with. I don't think anyone was. I've seen people ask for it and they've all been shot down by fellow users over the past 10 months. It just didn't seem realistic because of the expectations that a lot of people have in here. Re-mapping everything to work well with a gamepad didn't seem like a strategic use of their time and in actuality it probably wasn't going to be much benefit on our end either because the games are on their way out.

Nintendo I guess decided it was useful enough to people to take this quick half measure for the fans. Probably due to games like Xenoblade releasing so late in the US. I'm one of those people, so I'm happy. I never did beat Xenoblade due to how the game looked on my TV and the inconvenience of playing a 100HR+ game in my living room. I can play it now.

Top Bottom