• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

GAH, it's like a dangling carrot! XD MH Tri looks BEAUT on the GamePad (used it even as a reference to lower my TV's sharpness for less jaggies! lol) but you can't control the fucker with the GamePad buttons and sticks GAH!!!

Still a sight for just fucking around in, but yeah, it's a blessing in disguise! XD

Revven

Wiis main control scheme is the Wii Remote.

So this is a surprise WHY? Seriously people...

Some games support the classic controller and so common sense would say that you should be able to use the buttons and sticks on the GamePad to play those particular games...

But NOPE.

Interesting… Wii homebrew (or even Wii games booted up through Wii homebrew) are rendered at 16:9 but then squished to 4:3 and shown with black bars on the sides on both the TV and the GamePad after the new update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir_eagUgIhg

Yeah Mario 64 was auto 4:3, was very curious about that since it doesn't do that normally, you have to normally manually change the aspect ratio on your TV, how odd.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wiis main control scheme is the Wii Remote.

So this is a surprise WHY? Seriously people...

The classic controller can be used to navigate the Wii home menu and launch games. All VC games and a large number of top tier Wii games support the CC.

So if the CC was mapped to the Wii U gamepad buttons, you could do an awful lot of stuff without having to hold a wiimote or a separate classic controller plugged into it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, I just played DKC2 and DKC3 on my gamepad with a CC Pro.

Worth it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I dont understand the excitement over this if it requires a Wiimote/Nunchuck.

In all fairness, there's no good way to replace a Wii Remote with the GamePad.

The only way I expected this to work would be if Classic Controller functionality were offered by the GamePad -- I never had any expectations of Wii Remote simulation.

While I do hope Classic Controller simulation comes in the near future (and/or touchscreen emulation of a wii remote pointer), it's possible that there is no way to actually use Wii communication with the Pad due to design conflicts.

Granted, this is the sort of thing that should have been considered during the Wii U design process, as it's fairly stupid to have this mode and NOT support CC emulation, but I could see a scenario in which it's technically impossible.

Then again, the video streaming implies the Wii mode is a bit more open to Wii U tech than we previously thought...

Maedhros

In all fairness, there's no good way to replace a Wii Remote with the GamePad.

The only way I expected this to work would be if Classic Controller functionality were offered by the GamePad -- I never had any expectations of Wii Remote simulation.

I don't think ANYONE was expecting this at all...

EctoPrime

What if this display update was not really for the gamepad but a cost cutting Wii U tv with inbuilt lcd screen to be unveiled at E3.
You put a ps4 style trackpad on the pro controller and everything works.

No second psu, external sensor bar, nfc chip, gamepad exclusive wifi chip or plastic stands would drop the cost to make quite a bit.

wp_20130930_001vgoy3.jpg

Not useless at all.

The classic controller can be used to navigate the Wii home menu and launch games. All VC games and a large number of top tier Wii games support the CC.

So if the CC was mapped to the Wii U gamepad buttons, you could do an awful lot of stuff without having to hold a wiimote or a separate classic controller plugged into it.

Mmmm portable Rune Factory frontier <3

Couldn't they just map classic controller controls to the gamepad? I could understand for motion-controlled games, but why can't the gamepad just serve as a classic controller in this mode?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The main problem is that the Wii doesn't recognize the gamepad as an input device. The only way you can control Wii games is via controllers connected over Bluetooth, which the gamepad does not have.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nuts, was hoping from some off TV Xenoblade play. Or at least he ability to use the Pro Controller in place of classic controller.

The main problem is that the Wii doesn't recognize the gamepad as an input device. The only way you can control Wii games is via controllers connected over Bluetooth, which the gamepad does not have.

Wii didn't recognize the gamepad as an output screen either... until... you know... Nintendo made an effort.

I'm not hating on this new feature per se. But it's utility is minimal as noted by all parties. Nintendo's service and features, and their speed in delivering them is woefully inadequate. It's really getting to the point where there is so much competition and their services and features are competing very aggressively with each other. Steam, PS+, etc...

Wii U waited about 10 months for this update? Serious? There are no folders. Wii U ships with a Gamepad and a virtual keyboard, but there are no system wide text-messages between friends or notifications (miiverse doesn't count, home button doesn't count), etc...

Tybolt

Banned
Wii didn't recognize the gamepad as an output screen either... until... you know... Nintendo made an effort.

I think the biggest issue here is that the Gamepad fully acknowledges the fact it's apparently "not compatible" when you press buttons on it.

It's absolutely inane. Knowing Nintendo, they did this to try to boost Wiimote sales or something just as insipid.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Truly 'amazing'...
Wait, there are IR LED's in the GamePad? Wow. I mean, what was the reason for them before this feature came along? Were they planning it all the time?

All they need to do for games like Galaxy is make the touch screen act as the on-screen cursor and make it so the LZ acts as a shake. Goddamn I'd love to play Galaxy on my GamePad without needing another remote. I mean it couldn't be that hard, right? All the parts are there. Make the touch screen act as the cursor. The rest of the stuff is still there. More than enough buttons. Come on, Nintendo. Do it! Figure it out. Then the Wii U would be amazing. If I don't have to turn on my TV, I am happy. I wonder about Motion+ though. Does the GamePad have gyroscopes. I guess later generation Wii games would still require a WiiMote. But many good ones would be fine.

I'd also like to play Kirby's Epic Yarn at some point on the GamePad.

Man too bad the Wii U doesn't read gamecube games.

Can't say I'd ever use this if you can't control the game with the gamepad but w/e kinda neat.
I'm hoping that at some point they either A) put in a GCN emulator and/or B) offer GCN games on the Virtual Console. Not that there's many games I'd want to play, but Pikmin 1+2 and Mario Sunshine would be nice.

You can play GameCube games using Devolution though.
What's Devolution? And would the Wii U disc drive take in a GameCube disc the same way the Wii does? (Since it's so small)

Any word yet on how blurry 480p Wii games look on the gamepad? Any better, due to the smaller screen?
The Wii has the same resolution as the GamePad does. 480p. So it should actually be 1:1 pixel ratio.

I just wish the GamePad came with a port for connecting a Classic Controller so you didn't also need a WiiMote with batteries.

Cbajd5

It's a completely different thing. If it's done through the Wii Mode itself then that WiFi connection is probably output only. (To sandbox it to prevent any possible exploits from reaching the main Wii U mode.) More likely than not it's something in Wii U mode that uses a tiny amount of system resources to mirror the HDMI/Component/Composoite output to the Wii U GamePad as well, which would be output only as well.

I think the biggest issue here is that the Gamepad fully acknowledges the fact it's apparently "not compatible" when you press buttons on it.

It's absolutely inane. Knowing Nintendo, they did this to try to boost Wiimote sales or something just as insipid.

Does that message come up only on the GamePad or does it come up on the TV as well? Either way, it's either the Gamepad doing it locally or just associating any and all input to display that message, which is considerably less resource intensive than deciphering specific WiFi inputs and sending them to an emulated Bluetooth connection. The second case also makes it un-exploitable I'm guessing as there's only one possible result, which cannot effect normal inputs at all.

It acknowledges it because Nintendo wrote the damn message. Upon Wii U launch, Nintendo said "no gamepad for wii mode" but now they made an effort and look...

It's a completely different thing. If it's done through the Wii Mode itself then that WiFi connection is probably output only. (To sandbox it to prevent any possible exploits from reaching the main Wii U mode.) More likely than not it's something in Wii U mode that uses a tiny amount of system resources to mirror the HDMI/Component/Composoite output to the Wii U GamePad as well, which would be output only as well.

You gotta be kidding. This is the *EXACT* type of thing people said on launch when they announced "no gamepad for wii mode." Really, all it takes is for them to give a damn and do it. You're making technical excuses for a feature that would benefit everyone. You don't really have proof that they can't do it.

Only tested Mario 64 and MH Tri.

Mario 64 doesn't look like it would if on a computer in native 640x480, it's on the blurry side. I do suspect unless proven otherwise the GamePad is actually 800x450, below Wii native-res. The res is from Miiverse screens.

Also there's complete... underscan (never got Over from Under XD) where you see boarders around every game, kinda odd when you don't with Wii U games at all.

Wiz

Just tested Smash. Me and my brother tried a few matches looking only at the gamepad lol. Was making my eyes hurt.

Q6TLxYR.jpg

ALM5252

Ugh -_-
So it fucked up homebrew? Is there a way to avoid that at the moment?

I wouldn't say it F*cked it up. I'm sure an updated HBC will be released eventually.

Also, some pictures I took with my phone. Lol

This is how Project M looked when I booted it through the HBC.
Didn't look bad when I went into the options and changed it to regular 4:3. But I got it be widescreen by going through the hackless method using the stage builder exploit.

Zornack

Not being able to play Wii VC games with the gamepad really kills this for me. At least we're one step closer to that, though.

Only tested Mario 64 and MH Tri.

Mario 64 doesn't look like it would if on a computer in native 640x480, it's on the blurry side. I do suspect unless proven otherwise the GamePad is actually 800x450, below Wii native-res. The res is from Miiverse screens.

Also there's complete... underscan (never got Over from Under XD) where you see boarders around every game, kinda odd when you don't with Wii U games at all.

It's not, the GamePad is 480p.

Htown

I mean, there's a difference between having a piece of hardware decide where the "Wii" picture goes after the "Wii" is done with it, and convincing the "Wii" to accept and send out signals that it doesn't have access to.

It's like saying "well, I can put this game capture device between the component cables and my TV, so there's really no reason I can't use a 3DS to control Skyward Sword."

Cody_D165

Banned
Not being able to play Wii VC games with the gamepad really kills this for me. At least we're one step closer to that, though.

Don't think they ever will, simply because they want you to pay dat one dolla. I didn't expect them to let you display them on the pad at all tbh.

I mean, there's a difference between having a piece of hardware decide where the "Wii" picture goes after the "Wii" is done with it, and convincing the "Wii" to accept and send out signals that it doesn't have access to.

It's like saying "well, I can put this game capture device between the component cables and my TV, so there's really no reason I can't use a Dual Shock to control Skyward Sword."

There are two scenarios

1) They can map CCP input to the Gamepad with some effort
2) Whoever designed it so that you can't doesn't deserve a bonus or promotion or commendation or whatever.

They built the hardware. All of it. 10 months ago, you couldn't get Wii mode on the gamepad and they said "iit's not supported." Now they can. All it takes is effort. People are making excuses for Nintendo.

clubstoic

Banned
Looks like you actually need a TV to boot Wii mode, even if you only want to play on the gamepad. Anyone experience otherwise? Very inconvenient and in most cases useless.

Wii Mode probably doesn't or cannot recognize the Hi-speed WiFi that the GamePad uses to send button/movement data to the Wii U, or cannot spare the processing overhead to convert that to a faked Classic Controller/Pro.

If it ever does, it'd be one heck of a feat, for which I would applaud Nintendo.

This is a really nice compromise, all the same. I don't get all the hate.

Zornack

Don't think they ever will, simply because they want you to pay dat one dolla. I didn't expect them to let you display them on the pad at all tbh.

I'd gladly pay for Chrono Trigger on my Wii U but Nintendo doesn't seem to want to let me.

Wii Mode probably doesn't or cannot recognize the Hi-speed WiFi that the GamePad uses to send button/movement data to the Wii U, or cannot spare the processing overhead to convert that to a faked Classic Controller/Pro.

If it ever does, it'd be one heck of a feat, for which I would applaud Nintendo.

This is a really nice compromise, all the same. I don't get all the hate.

I just want to play the SNES version of Chrono Trigger on a handheld. I have DSi, 3DS, Wii (with CT on it) and a Wii U but the only way I can play it on a handheld is with a hacked PSP. That's insane.

The pad is essentially being treated as a TV. The Wii U is acting as a wrapper around the virtual Wii...a Wii that does not speak game pad wifi.

Your TV can overlay a menu over the top of the picture, right? That doesn't mean you can use your TV remote to play games with.

Why would someone own Wii games to play on their BC capable Wii U and not already own Wiimotes? Even without this feature they would need Wiimotes to play Wii games.

I think this is a neat feature. Being able to use the gamepad controls would be optimal but that might just be impossible since the signal from the gamepad and the signal from Wiimotes are based on different technologies? Pretty cool non-the-less. My wife watches quite a bit of television so I can see myself using this feature from time to time.

Htown

There are two scenarios

1) They can map CCP input to the Gamepad with some effort
2) Whoever designed it so that you can't doesn't deserve a bonus or promotion or commendation or whatever.

They built the hardware. All of it. 10 months ago, you couldn't get Wii mode on the gamepad and they said "iit's not supported." Now they can. All it takes is effort. People are making excuses for Nintendo.
okay dude

whatever you say

Top Bottom