• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

scurker

Even with the caveats this update is promising. If homebrew can allow for the Wii to use bluetooth controllers in Gamecube mode, they certainly can figure out how to make the Gamepad work in Wii mode as well. It all depends on how creative Nintendo wants to get.

Dryk

When you say that the "Wii can't process Wifi" you literally are talking about the Wii hardware - not the Wii U with the Wii running inside of it. They clearly can get inside their own hardware and software and change it. It would take effort, but that's the whole point. People are stuck on the issue of "Nintendo can't"
No, they can, but they won't yet. Going into Wii Mode and breaking out of the sandbox was considered the best chance of hacking the Wii U by homebrewers, but they found that it was a lot harder than they expected. Nintendo aren't about to knock a hole in the wall to run a controller cable through without making sure that its not exploitable (spoiler: it still will be). Locking that down again takes time, I mean the original way of hacking the Wii was through the horse's name in Twilight Princess and who saw that coming?

Criticise them for not putting more resources into it, criticise them for lack of communication on the matter sure. But I'm still not convinced that you could make a good case for it being worth the effort, despite how many people around here (myself included) would love the feature.

Are you going to take that tone when I bring up the issue of folders, too?
No, the lack of folders is BS.

This is so pointless.

1) The Wii U can do all the things were are talking about
2) The Wii is just code that runs on the Wii U hardware
3) The Wii Mode "sandbox" only exists because Nintendo wrote it that way
4) The Wii is capable of doing a lot more than what the O.G. hardware did because Nintendo wrote the software that way and homebrew proves it.

Nintendo can get write the necessary code to get all of the needed Wii U's hardware parts working to do what is being described... run a Wii game, display it on the gamepad, get input from the gamepad... focusing on the "Wii Mode sandbox" is misleading. The actual Wii hardware was limited by the Wii hardware... The Wii U is not.

If the pad is internally considered to be a Wii remote + CC combo, then even if it IS possible it's a massive clusterfuck, a logistical nightmare.

There is no way to accomplish this that would satisfy even enthusiasts like us who might even be willing to deal with some oddities.

Some games would never boot because they require disconnecting the CC. Some games, you'd never be able to get past the intro screen because it requires a pointer to click "start" even if the rest of the game is playable over CC. There'd be no way to re-sync the pad because that requires pressing 1+2 on the remote, which an assumed-CC pad does not have. The list goes on and on.

So not only do they have to dick around for ages with something that might be entirely impossible, then they have to provide a compatibility list that displays huge swaths of of their software library as "incompatible" and come up with some way to explain how it works to the average person.

Drago

hopefully with a homebrew channel update.

it seems the system update itself caused this since it displays in 4:3 on the TV too.
Yeah, I noticed that. Wii mode corrects the aspect ratio for 4:3 games now, which is a nice touch.

Hopefully the homebrew channel team responds to the forced 4:3 and they're able to quickly get out a fix.

If the pad is internally considered to be a Wii remote + CC combo, then even if it IS possible it's a massive clusterfuck, a logistical nightmare.

There is no way to accomplish this that would satisfy even enthusiasts like us who might even be willing to deal with some oddities.

Some games would never boot because they require disconnecting the CC. Some games, you'd never be able to get past the intro screen because it requires a pointer to click "start" even if the rest of the game is playable over CC. There'd be no way to re-sync the pad because that requires pressing 1+2 on the remote, which an assumed-CC pad does not have. The list goes on and on.

So not only do they have to dick around for ages with something that might be entirely impossible, then they have to provide a compatibility list that displays huge swaths of of their software library as "incompatible" and come up with some way to explain how it works to the average person.

You are assuming that they are too inept to create a simple interface that says... "select the controller you want" with a wiimote, wiimote+nunchuk, ccp icons. 3 icons, that's not hard.

You keep assuming that their implementation will be messy and sloppy and confusing. This is not necessarily the case, for any and all scenarios you propose.

No, they can, but they won't yet. Going into Wii Mode and breaking out of the sandbox was considered the best chance of hacking the Wii U by homebrewers, but they found that it was a lot harder than they expected. Nintendo aren't about to knock a hole in the wall to run a controller cable through without making sure that its not exploitable (spoiler: it still will be). Locking that down again takes time, I mean the original way of hacking the Wii was through the horse's name in Twilight Princess and who saw that coming?

Criticise them for not putting more resources into it, criticise them for lack of communication on the matter sure. But I'm still not convinced that you could make a good case for it being worth the effort, despite how many people around here (myself included) would love the feature.

Sure, I agree with you. I've never said that it is easy. Just that it's probably possible and that we should push them and voice that they be more aggressive with the services and features they provide as a platform holder. Not excuse them.

J.W.Crazy

I imagine patching in a simple universal CC emulation for the gamepad is possible but it introduces another set of problems. They'd need a way to juggle different control schemes on a game by game basis and it would more than likely need to be handled on the Wii U side. With Wii BC security already compromised opening up further access to Wii U specific hardware might be too risky for Nintendo.

I'm totally pulling this out of thin air but it seems logical that the more they interconnect the Wii U and Wii BC the greater the chance of hacking being possible on Wii U.

You are assuming that they are too inept to create a simple interface that says... "select the controller you want" with a wiimote, wiimote+nunchuk, ccp icons. 3 icons, that's not hard.

You keep assuming that their implementation will be messy and sloppy and confusing. This is not necessarily the case.

So you select wiimote.

How's the mapping set up? A and B are the same, X and Y are 1 and 2? The d pad works, all the rest of the buttons are disabled? You think people are going to be happy with that? Maybe the motion control is backward or disabled entirely, because it works a different way from what the Wii expects (too much fidelity, too little fidelity). Does the pad camera work as the remote's camera, so you turn it around and face it toward the TV awkwardly?

Your "solutions" make the problems worse.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Controller issues aside, this is an awesome update. Just got Endless Ocean from Gamestop; Off TV is the best feature for Wii U hands down.

Gonna have to invest in some Wii titles - off topic, anybody got thoughts on Phantom Brave, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, or Tales of Symphonia 2?

The only types of games i can see enjoying with this set-up would be those where you hold the Wii-Mote sideways like a NES controller.
Games like Kirby Dreamland 3,Castle of Shikigami III,Wario Shake It,etc....

EDIT: Since this is a thread about original Wii games it should be noted that Gamestop is having two pretty good sales on Wii games that just started today.

Buy 2 Get 1 Free Used Wii games
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/320312-buy-2-get-1-free-used-wii-and-ds-games-gamestop/

AND

GameStop: Preowned 2 for $10 Sale
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/320316-gamestop-preowned-2-for-10-sale-starts-930/

tebunker

Banned
Was this part of the Network Services agreement before?

The Network Services may permit you to transfer some or all of your data, information, account balances, and Digital Content between Nintendo Devices that you own, or between your Network Accounts. Please refer to the User Manual for more information on this feature.

On top of that the new eshop load screen looks like they will be adding features. As well it looks like some of this was set up for future stuff. Don't really care about most of the update, would have liked some faster loading though.

So you select wiimote.

How's the mapping set up? A and B are the same, X and Y are 1 and 2? The d pad works, all the rest of the buttons are disabled? You think people are going to be happy with that? Maybe the motion control is backward or disabled entirely, because it works a different way from what the Wii expects (too much fidelity, too little fidelity). Does the pad camera work as the remote's camera, so you turn it around and face it toward the TV awkwardly?

Your "solutions" make the problems worse.

huh? You select "wiimote" and you use your freakin wiimote

select CCP and you use the gamepad

this is something that likely has a more elegant solution than cumbersome one.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I know you're trying to stand with this protocol crutch, but I think as long as I can emulate any past console on my PC -- work programmed by hobbyists, mind you -- with a single USB controller that was not originally designed for whatever system I choose to play, it's not unfeasible.

Comparing emulation with the Wii mode is a bit silly. With emulation, you have total control over all elements of input and output. Backwards compatibility can be hampered by hardware issues.

I'm not saying the current situation is good, nor that NCL tech folks shouldn't have designed the Gamepad to act as a CC -- they should have, as the current setup is rather silly, to say the least.

I'm merely saying that's it's not necessarily a matter of "THEY WANTS MY DOLLARS" and intentional omission is what's going on here. It seems plausible that there could be issues with using the the Gamepad as a controller, either due to lacking hardware on the Gamepad's side, or limited ability to "patch in" Wii U support to Wii mode.

Claiming it's "obviously" anything is fairly silly at this point. I understand and share the frustration, but I think it's a bit much to claim this is an insidious plot -- if that were the case, and this were an INTENTIONAL DESIGN CHOICE, why bother giving Wii video on the Gamepad at all?

huh? You select "wiimote" and you use your freakin wiimote

I thought the game pad was set up as controller 1, though?

You're saying the virtual Wii instantly drops the pad as controller 1 and re-syncs a remote in its place, different internal ID, method of communication, all that?

Do people go through the normal method of re-syncing a controller here, or is it supposed to pretend that the new remote you've switched to is the pad's "virtual remote," only without the CC plugged in?

Zee-Row

Banned
Fucking bullshit , Sony can get the PS3 controller to work while the PS3 is in PS2 mode when you play a game with the older models. Nintendo can't do the same? Of course i'm talking about games that don't need motion controller like the VC. I guess they want that extra cash.

I thought the game pad was set up as controller 1, though?

You're saying the virtual Wii instantly drops the pad as controller 1 and re-syncs a remote in its place, different internal ID, method of communication, all that?

Have you ever synced a wiimote, and then synced a new one to be controller one?

You want me to troubleshoot all these scenarios when you know that they can design an easy system, not a messy one like you assume.

onipex

I already played a few Wii U games with the wiimote using just the gamepad so that is okay for now. Hope they add gamepad use in the future. Seeing what they did with VC games I wouldn't be surprised if actual gamepad play wasn't free and it game with miss verse support as well.

Drago

On top of that the new eshop load screen looks like they will be adding features. As well it looks like some of this was set up for future stuff. Don't really care about most of the update, would have liked some faster loading though.

423.gif

Have you ever synced a wiimote, and then synced a new one to be controller one?

So people are expected to do this constantly for every game with a different control scheme?

"Oh shoot, I'm using the pad but the title screen requires that I point and click. Let me pop up this menu, choose to resync all controllers, switch to a remote...there we go. Ok, now I'm in, and I can use the CC at this point. Wait, how do I re-sync the pad? It says to press 1+2, but I don't have those buttons here...?"

This is different on a PER GAME BASIS. Any given Wii game could be its own headache to the average user. Maybe you get lucky and the pad works the whole way through. Most likely not.

Regiruler

That's oddly really specific.

So people are expected to do this constantly for every game with a different control scheme?

"Oh shoot, I'm using the pad but the title screen requires that I point and click. Let me pop up this menu, choose to resync all controllers, switch to a remote...there we go. Ok, now I'm in, and I can use the CC at this point. Wait, how do I re-sync the pad? It says to press 1+2, but I don't have those buttons here...?"

This is different on a PER GAME BASIS. Any given Wii game could be its own headache to the average user. Maybe you get lucky and the pad works the whole way through. Most likely not.

oh FFS, how often have you switched up from wiimote to wiimote/nunchuk to CCP in one sitting?

you keep ignoring the obvious: THERE WILL BE AN ELEGANT AND CLEAN SOLUTION OUT THERE IN THE UNIVERSE

i'm out. good night.

Tybolt

Banned
Comparing emulation with the Wii mode is a bit silly. With emulation, you have total control over all elements of input and output. Backwards compatibility can be hampered by hardware issues.

...But isn't Wii Mode emulated to begin with? Pretty sure this isn't like the first run PS3s that pretty much had an entire PS2 built into it.

Now this is very interesting. Great find.

VanWinkle

Ooooooh VERY interesting. Good find!

Although, what do you mean by the load screen looking like they will be adding features?

you keep ignoring the obvious: THERE WILL BE AN ELEGANT AND CLEAN SOLUTION OUT THERE IN THE UNIVERSE

You say something is obvious without offering any workable solutions or showing that you have any clue how it could be done elegantly.

I bring up legitimate issues and you wave your hands in the air saying how everything would work so well regardless. Just have faith, it'd be beautiful! Come on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

Been in the agreement since Nov 18 2012, according to Google. So it's always been there

Wii to gamepad - GAF goes crazy
No gamepad controls - GAF-useless piece of shit
> 1 month - thread-> In the end I spent a lot of time on Wii mode on the gamepad, not so bad

/GAF

qq more

...But isn't Wii Mode emulated to begin with? Pretty sure this isn't like the first run PS3s that pretty much had an entire PS2 built into it.

No. It's not. If it was emulated then it would've been so much different than it is now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just to be clear, I'm using this to find that out, maybe I'm wrong on how Google lists results but it says Nov 18 2012 in the results

https://www.google.com/#es_sm=93&q=...Manual+for+more+information+on+this+feature."

Edit: checked on a cached version from Sept 19 and it says this:

The Network Services may permit you to transfer some or all of your data, information, account balances, and Digital Content between Nintendo Devices that you own, or between your Network Accounts. Please refer to the User Manual for more information on this feature and limitations on its use.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
oh FFS, how often have you switched up from wiimote to wiimote/nunchuk to CCP in one sitting?

You're talking about two completely different things.

Situation 1: switching between remote and nunchuck and CC. This normally just requires using the physical plug to switch between controllers.

However, you can't do this when the pad is always considered a CC. If you need pointer functionality with the device that is considered controller 1, the pad simply can't do it, so you need to move on to:

Situation 2: switching between actual controllers, resyncing controller 1 as 2 etc.

This is really cumbersome to have to deal with on a per-game basis, and you can't switch back to a pad if the pad is always considered a CC. It has no 1 and 2 button to press at the same time. How do you resync it?

You're conflating these two things. When I ask how you use a pointer when the pad is considered CC, you act as if it's no big deal, you just use a remote. However, this requires resyncing devices, and the pad has no method to be resynced as controller 1 again. But then you act as if this is no big deal because "people switch controller plugs all the time."

Persona7

Banned

Is it? I remember some talk about the Wii U processor architecture being basically the same as the processors in the Wii and GCN so they could implement Wii backwards compatibility on a hardware level. I was not really following it though.

gogoud

Just to be clear, I'm using this to find that out, maybe I'm wrong on how Google lists results but it says Nov 18 2012 in the results

https://www.google.com/#es_sm=93&q=...Manual+for+more+information+on+this+feature."

true but if you read their eula it says it was updated on the 30th

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/latam/info/en/docs.jsp?menu=wiiu&submenu=wup-eula-agree

it could have been added recently and search cache internet magic thingy hasn't updated or something something nintendo and something something nobody reads the eula until someone finds something.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I want to play Rhythm Heaven Fever on my Gamepad, but I don't have a TV in my dorm at the moment.

Someone help me please.
Hold b when turning on the wii u.
Edit: that won't work. Just try moving your wii remote the bottom left in imaginary space. Once you feel a vibration hit A

I want to believe that this update is some sort of primer-release for the ability to play at least some Wii games on the gamepad. Because if this is it, then I feel this is wasted potential.

Is it? I remember some talk about the Wii U processor architecture being basically the same as the processors in the Wii and GCN so they could implement Wii backwards compatibility on a hardware level. I was not really following it though.

It is done on a hardware level yeah. That's why the processor isn't very....good. They made that a pretty significant feature though.

Meanwhile. that's a pretty good update, probably just getting things ready for the holidays though.

Cbajd5

Others like KojiKnight disagree with you. It's more plausible to accept that Nintendo is technically able to manipulate their own hardware to do this than not.

When you say that the "Wii can't process Wifi" you literally are talking about the Wii hardware - not the Wii U with the Wii running inside of it. They clearly can get inside their own hardware and software and change it. It would take effort, but that's the whole point. People are stuck on the issue of "Nintendo can't"

Can KojiKnight show me where the Dolphin developers have the GamePad working with Dolphin? (Not the Wii U Pro Controller, but the GamePad, as they are different controllers that use completely different protocols.) Then I might agree. As far as I know the only way to use the GamePad as a controller with your PC is through the Web Browser connecting to a local host on your PC that can interpret the HTML5 commands Nintendo had made available to web developers.

This is so pointless.

1) The Wii U can do all the things were are talking about
2) The Wii is just code that runs on the Wii U hardware
3) The Wii Mode "sandbox" only exists because Nintendo wrote it that way
4) The Wii is capable of doing a lot more than what the O.G. hardware did because Nintendo wrote the software that way and homebrew proves it.

Nintendo can get write the necessary code to get all of the needed Wii U's hardware parts working to do what is being described... run a Wii game, display it on the gamepad, get input from the gamepad... focusing on the "Wii Mode sandbox" is misleading. The actual Wii hardware was limited by the Wii hardware... The Wii U is not.

The easiest example to prove you are wrong is that imagine if Nintendo launched the Wii U and introduced the "Wii Mode sandbox" and told you that it's a custom sandbox that runs native wii games and also accepts inputs from the gamepad. That would be the only "wii mode sandbox" you'd have ever heard of then.

It's only pointless because you don't know how any of this works.

1) The Wii U can, Wii Mode cannot.
2) No, Wii Mode is a vitrualized Wii (vWii) running off of a special Wii firmware that utilized select components (and parts of some) of the Wii U that would make up a Wii. It is just Wii code running off of that hardware.
3) It exists because it needs to work exactly like a Wii. Otherwise they'd have to emulate it, which uses exponentially more resources.
4) It can only do whatever it can do with the hardware it was designed to work with. That is, Bluetooth controllers for input. Not WiFi like the GamePad.

The only case where Wii homebrew has any extra features on the Wii U are those that implement an exploit to use the third core that the Wii U has but the Wii didn't. This has to be specifically programmed in if you want to use it, and the only reason it can use it i because it's basically core2 while the Wii only had core0 and core1. That is, the normal Wii would be able to use it if it was there. It can't just suddenly start accessing parts of the hardware it has no idea how to use (or access).

(I'm guessing it's just sending the same 480p signal it'd send through a Component Cable, and the Wii U's graphic output component has a process that actually handles it and outputs it to the GamePad, like how it can upscale to 1080p over HDMI and component video connections. It should be obvious this is a one way connection.)

Your example is basically "imagine I've always been right thus you're wrong" which makes absolutely no sense.

Roo

So, I played some Off-TV Play Mario Kart Wii and MK64 and it seems there's an audio problem.
In MKWii, the item warning sound is missing (from both, the Wiimote and Gamepad) and in MK64 the music crashes some miliseconds every 20-30secs.

Top Bottom