• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like Miis, but I have spent a lot of time in the maker. With the introduction of accounts I still hope I'm able to use different Miis per game. On the 3DS I like having a system based one for the friendlist and streetpass that looks like me and I use my quirkier ones in games.

D-e-f-

Banned
I like Miis, but I have spent a lot of time in the maker. With the introduction of accounts I still hope I'm able to use different Miis per game. On the 3DS I like having a system based one for the friendlist and streetpass that looks like me and I use my quirkier ones in games.

I'm confused. You can do that right now. You can play Wii Sports as Alf, Ice Cube, Snoopy or Michael Jackson if you don't want to use your You-Mii. Is there currently a Mii-based game on the 3DS? Pilotwings? I know Animal Crossing supports that. But what does that have to do with accounts? You could import your Miis from the Wii to the 3DS and even carry them around with you inside a Wiimote!

The Miiverse is integrated into the OS. It is part of the OS, and it is what you'll see when you boot up the system. But it's not the only part of the OS, and not necessarily the main way you'll navigate the system. That's what the second screen on the GamePad is for.

Iwata has stated that, initially, a more traditional menu/channel based navigation screen will appear on the GamePad. I assume it will be very similar to the Wii and 3DS. You'll use this to directly access your applications, games, menus, settings, and all that crap.

Miiverse is like...it's like having the map screen of a DS/3DS game appear on the lower screen. It's an 'overview' of the social networking Miiverse, the feed of information and networking Miis appearing in this image next to icons of your games and applications. You don't necessarily use Miiverse the image to navigate the OS.

And as Iwata stated, the OS and Miiverse display are interchangeable between the GamePad and main display. If you'd rather the traditional display appear on the main screen, fine, Miiverse will appear on the GamePad instead. End of the day, the point is both will always be enabled. You've got two screens, not just one.

How the traditional OS screen actually looks is a mystery. Nintendo hasn't shown it yet.
That's good to know. So you not stuck with the default Miiverse look if you prefer more traditional. So are you leanin toward the traditional screen being more like the 3DS navigation where you have game channels as well as settings in little icons?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's good to know. So you not stuck with the default Miiverse look if you prefer more traditional. So are you leanin toward the traditional screen being more like the 3DS navigation where you have game channels as well as settings in little icons?

I'm guessing so yeah. Nintendo has gone with channels twice and I can't imagining them abandoning them for the Wii U.

Either way, that's basically how the OS operates. The Miiverse overview isn't the home menu or even really the 'main' display. Instead it's an overview of the Miiverse hub that always shows up, due to having two screens active when the system powers on. I kind of liken it to the way a lot of DS/3DS game works, where the interactive 'game' portion is on the top screen, and an overview map with icons and data takes up the bottom screen. By default, the main menu is on the GamePad, meanwhile the overview and data feed Miiverse will be on the screen.

Again, interchangeable.

Amir0x

Banned
The Miiverse is integrated into the OS. It is part of the OS, and it is what you'll see when you boot up the system. But it's not the only part of the OS, and not necessarily the main way you'll navigate the system. That's what the second screen on the GamePad is for.

Iwata has stated that, initially, a more traditional menu/channel based navigation screen will appear on the GamePad. I assume it will be very similar to the Wii and 3DS. You'll use this to directly access your applications, games, menus, settings, and all that crap.

Miiverse is like...it's like having the map screen of a DS/3DS game appear on the lower screen. It's an 'overview' of the social networking Miiverse, the feed of information and networking Miis appearing in this image next to icons of your games and applications. You don't necessarily use Miiverse the image to navigate the OS.

And as Iwata stated, the OS and Miiverse display are interchangeable between the GamePad and main display. If you'd rather the traditional display appear on the main screen, fine, Miiverse will appear on the GamePad instead. End of the day, the point is both will always be enabled. You've got two screens, not just one.

How the traditional OS screen actually looks is a mystery. Nintendo hasn't shown it yet.

It really is pretty odd that we don't know that, and it's surely contributing to the confusion/mystery. It's going to be quite interesting to see the articles pop up in the coming weeks where people get to see what the thing really looks like in action.

I'm glad there is the option because I really don't know what they're thinking with the standard Miiverse screen. It's completely nonfunctional design, and ugly to boot.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm confused. You can do that right now. You can play Wii Sports as Alf, Ice Cube, Snoopy or Michael Jackson if you don't want to use your You-Mii. Is there currently a Mii-based game on the 3DS? Pilotwings? I know Animal Crossing supports that. But what does that have to do with accounts? You could import your Miis from the Wii to the 3DS and even carry them around with you inside a Wiimote!

You do realise this is a thread about Wii U right?

The current model is your online handle is the Mii name so you can change names whenever you like and can even have different ones per title.

I'm hoping that even if we have accounts and thus account names I'm still able to change names and Miis whenever I want.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It really is pretty odd that we don't know that, and it's surely contributing to the confusion/mystery. It's going to be quite interesting to see the articles pop up in the coming weeks where people get to see what the thing really looks like in action.

I'm glad there is the option because I really don't know what they're thinking with the standard Miiverse screen. It's completely nonfunctional design, and ugly to boot.

I don't think it's ugly, though the pop-up text boxes could be noticeably decreased in size to take advantage of a higher resolution. Nintendo has a dumb obsession with BIG EASY TO READ BOXES FOR CHILDREN AND ELDERLY. One moment allowing scaling on the 3DS menu, the other forcing stupid big boxes on the eStore. wut.

I think that's part of the point, in that the Miiverse really isn't supposed to be part of navigating the system at all, in the same way the top screen of the 3DS displaying spinning logos isn't used to navigate the system. Swapping the main menu and Miiverse between the TV and GamePad ensures there's always one active. Miiverse display is just a window, really.

But yeah, not showing the actual menu is a bit daft. Similarly to how Nintendo has messily explained Miiverse, they really need to show a video of everything going on with the Wii U menu. We've seen how messaging works on the GamePad, and how the Miiverse screen looks, but we haven't seen it all come together. And that's really the important thing. What will I be looking out, and how do I navigate between options?

Somehow I think we'll be waiting for review systems reports before we get the goods.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think it's ugly, though the pop-up text boxes could be noticeably decreased in size to take advantage of a higher resolution. Nintendo has a dumb obsession with BIG EASY TO READ BOXES FOR CHILDREN AND ELDERLY. One moment allowing scaling on the 3DS menu, the other forcing stupid big boxes on the eStore. wut.

I guess for me design attractiveness is directly related to its utility and functionality. To me, the way I see it, the oddly disorganized floating bubbles with a zillion different fonts and colors and designs and then, in the background, hundreds of Mii's tromping around, making the image a busy mess... it's definitely not my idea of pretty OR functional.

It's not a big deal though as long as it's not the frontend OS that we have to go back to all the time (is there a better word for this than OS?), and we can avoid it by switching what's on the gamepad to the main screen.

I think that's part of the point, in that the Miiverse really isn't supposed to be part of navigating the system at all, in the same way the top screen of the 3DS displaying spinning logos isn't used to navigate the system. Swapping the main menu and Miiverse between the TV and GamePad ensures there's always one active. Miiverse display is just a window, really.

This makes a lot more sense when it's explained this way, thank you. I guess I have to get familiar with the fact that the Wii U has a controller screen and that can be used in ways like this. But Miiverse is what will be the first thing we see when we boot up the Wii U, right, besides the setup phase?

But yeah, not showing the actual menu is a bit daft. Similarly to how Nintendo has messily explained Miiverse, they really need to show a video of everything going on with the Wii U menu. We've seen how messaging works on the GamePad, and how the Miiverse screen looks, but we haven't seen it all come together. And that's really the important thing. What will I be looking out, and how do I navigate between options?

Somehow I think we'll be waiting for review systems reports before we get the goods.

Yeah, I agree. Nintendo usually keeps things close to its chest for its systems leading up to release, but I thought they would have taken the opportunity to expand a little more with only so few weeks out. Ultimately it's not going to make a difference in how I approach the unit, but it would provide insight into the strategy that Nintendo is utilizing with their community building/online functionality/etc. There's still a ton we don't know about everything, now that I think about it.

EatChildren

This makes a lot more sense when it's explained this way, thank you. I guess I have to get familiar with the fact that the Wii U has a controller screen and that can be used in ways like this. But Miiverse is what will be the first thing we see when we boot up the Wii U, right, besides the setup phase?

Yeah, it is, but that's because unless you're in a game Miiverse will always boot. Both the main traditional menu and Miiverse will boot with the system, as combined they form the Wii U operating system, spread across the two available displays (and interchangeable).

I mean, that's the way it's sounding anyway. All Iwata has done is explain what Miiverse is, and state that a traditional menu system for games/applications/whatever will initially appear on the GamePad while Miiverse appears on the main display. And that, if you prefer, you can swap the two displays around.

Really, Nintendo hasn't explained the non-Miiverse OS at all, nor shown it.

Chaplain

Really, Nintendo hasn't explained the non-Miiverse OS at all, nor shown it.

Why do you think Nintendo has decided not to talk about the non-Miiverse OS? For me, it seems that either it's going to be revolutionary, and they do not want to show anything on it until the last possible moment. Or, its pretty much the same OS the Wii had, and they do not want their consumers to know about it because, like the pro-controller not having a mic jack plug, people will be disappointment and create negative press.

EatChildren

Why do you think Nintendo has decided not to talk about the non-Miiverse OS? For me, it seems that either it's going to be revolutionary, and they do not want to show anything on it until the last possible moment. Or, its pretty much the same OS the Wii had, and they do not want their consumers to know about it because, like the pro-controller not having a mic jack plug, people will be disappointment and create negative press.

I don't think it's a case of them expecting people to be disappointed, so much with them sticking with what they believe works and thus not feeling the need to put it at the forefront of marketing. That's to say I expect something very similar to the 3DS, as that's what the Wii U by default appears to be doing. TV = top 3DS screen. GamePad = bottom 3DS screen. Touch icons to boot menus, apps, games, etc.

Aside from this, Miiverse is their big new feature of the Wii OS. Not just the display, but the whole idea of Miiverse. Hence why that's been the feature they've wanted to talk about more than anything.

I fully expect to boot up my Wii U and find the main menu is a souped up 3DS.

The flaw there is Nintendo pretty much seems to have created the negative press themselves.

Miiverse I suspect has been undergoing continued work; and Iwata went through an entire Nintendo Direct over it. What we saw is pretty much what we will be getting; I think now its just a matter of getting all the bits and pieces working well together.

Sadist

Which honestly, that would be a step up compared to the Wii OS. It's certainly not perfect but I'd be okay with it if Nintendo makes the overview more logical than the 3DS eShop. Last update was a nice step in the right direction, but more work is needed.

I don't think it's a case of them expecting people to be disappointed, so much with them sticking with what they believe works and thus not feeling the need to put it at the forefront of marketing. That's to say I expect something very similar to the 3DS, as that's what the Wii U by default appears to be doing. TV = top 3DS screen. GamePad = bottom 3DS screen. Touch icons to boot menus, apps, games, etc.

Aside from this, Miiverse is their big new feature of the Wii OS. Not just the display, but the whole idea of Miiverse. Hence why that's been the feature they've wanted to talk about more than anything.

If we get a souped up 3DS OS I will not be mad, but Id be lying if I said I expected it.

warerare

I worry that Miiverse is the OS and we are going to have to pinpoint certain peoples Mii's in order to see what they are playing.

Yes, the only reason I worry is that we haven't seen anything else so what else am I supposed to think? I hope Nintendo lets us in on some of their secrets soon.
Well even if It was only the plaza we have seen the screens with the messages,friendlists,and other stuff. So pinpointing a Mii would be tedious compared to just clicking friend list.

warerare

Well even if It was only the plaza we have seen the screens with the messages,friendlists,and other stuff. So pinpointing a Mii would be tedious compared to just clicking friend list.

Have we seen a list, I have seen a list of messages and there is a screenshot out there that shows a number of options but none of them indicates an actual friend list.

wiiupro1.png

Have we seen a list, I have seen a list of messages and there is a screenshot out there that shows a number of options but none of them indicates an actual friend list.

wiiupro1.png
Oh your right, I must be seeing things? I thought I have seen one somewhere.

Hope there is one, pointing to miis would be too much especially if there are same looking miis.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh your right, I must be seeing things? I thought I have seen one somewhere.

Hope there is one, pointing to miis would be too much especially if there are same looking miis.

You have to shoot Ninja Stars at them. It's a menu-mini-game. You won't get shit done until you hit the one you wanna look at. Same goes for selecting menu options and games. System settings are selected with gyro controls, you have a puddle of water that balances a ball on top and you have to tilt it to move the ball over to the menu option you want to select.

You have to shoot Ninja Stars at them. It's a menu-mini-game. You won't get shit done until you hit the one you wanna look at. Same goes for selecting menu options and games. System settings are selected with gyro controls, you have a puddle of water that balances a ball on top and you have to tilt it to move the ball over to the menu option you want to select.
Absolutely terrible :/

edit:
That pop-up was among the screens I linked you to. It has nothing to do with Miiverse. We know that already.
That was made specifically for zombiu then huh?

D-e-f-

Banned
Absolutely terrible :/

edit:

That was made specifically for zombiu then huh?

Yea they built their own system since they probably knew they wanted to use the Demon's Souls system and random players spawning in the game before Miiverse got revealed. Didn't Idea Man repeatedly hint that developers didn't know some key part of the system which would be Miiverse?

Yea they built their own system since they probably knew they wanted to use the Demon's Souls system and random players spawning in the game before Miiverse got revealed. Didn't Idea Man repeatedly hint that developers didn't know some key part of the system which would be Miiverse?
Oh ok. You will have to excuse me as I wasnt paying much attention to all of ideaman's speculation or whatever. I do remember him saying something last month about the OS being opened up to devs or something though.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh ok. You will have to excuse me as I wasnt paying much attention to all of ideaman's speculation or whatever. I do remember him saying something last month about the OS being opened up to devs or something though.

I only remember it vaguely and also I'm not exactly sure when he said that or if it was the thing about a controller feature?!

Ultimately, all we know for a fact is that ZombiU does not actively make use of Miiverse (while it obviously still supports the basic, system level access to it) but instead uses its own systems to send people from game to game and randomly spread the messages players leave in the game from their servers.

EatChildren

Ultimately, all we know for a fact is that ZombiU does not actively make use of Miiverse (while it obviously still supports the basic, system level access to it) but instead uses its own systems to send people from game to game and randomly spread the messages players leave in the game from their servers.

When you say it doesn't actively use Miiverse, do you mean the traditional Miiverse framework (like NSMBU uses), or Miiverse full stop? Because I assume that even though ZombiU was using it's own method of data sharing (eg: doesn't use the Miiverse message feed), the connecting of data was still shared through a Miiverse level friend system. In other words, if I'm playing ZombiU and so are you, and we're friends over Miiverse, then that is the reference point the game uses to share data.

Because if it doesn't, then it probably uses a dedicated Ubisoft uPlay account system. And that's awful.

When you say it doesn't actively use Miiverse, do you mean the traditional Miiverse framework (like NSMBU uses), or Miiverse full stop? Because I assume that even though ZombiU was using it's own method of data sharing (eg: doesn't use the Miiverse message feed), the connecting of data was still shared through a Miiverse level friend system. In other words, if I'm playing ZombiU and so are you, and we're friends over Miiverse, then that is the reference point the game uses to share data.

Because if it doesn't, then it probably uses a dedicated Ubisoft uPlay account system. And that's awful.
Idk but that Mii silouette from the Daily Wii U zombiu (yea what a tounge twister) picture looks awfully similar in the same shape as the Miiverse Mii profile? pictures and emotion options.

Nintendo not telling us stuff got us on some connect the dot shit.

jmizzal

Is there any reason why you cant transfer your Wii VC/Wiiware games thats on a SD card on a Wii they were not downloaded on to a WiiU?

Glass Joe

Hmm that's an interesting take. I assumed the MiiVerse screens shown are what we were expected to navigate with the analog sticks (remembering "pointing" with a remote was not a gamepad feature). But having a more traditional (3DS) "bottom screen" makes more sense -- just not complete sense yet.

If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo's going to be pushing "tiles" of popular games they recommend or that your friends play that you don't own. Hopefully it won't be confusing to navigate what you have with what you don't. If Page 1 does this (I think the bottom right corner shows pages of content, as opposed to different grid view options), hopefully pages 2 and beyond can still be user sorted with the order they want and folders etc.

I really want to see it in motion and in action. An Iwata Asks on this needs to happen like, yesterday.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I really would love for the next Nintendo Direct to give us a live demonstration of Miiverse.
Not edited and pre-shot footage, just one of the Nintendo people walking us through the features and rest of the OS.

Fake edit: Meelow got banned?

I really would love for the next Nintendo Direct to give us a live demonstration of Miiverse.
Not edited and pre-shot footage, just one of the Nintendo people walking us through the features and rest of the OS.

Fake edit: Meelow got banned?
What the hell could meelow have possibly done?

D-e-f-

Banned

Well, I'm obviously just guessing here but I think that the friend-stuff is Nintendo Network related so the friend list they're using makes use of that. I say that because Nintendo Network is basically their big picture online roof that houses everything (eShop, Miiverse, etc). The NN logo is on all the game boxes that use online (Ninja Gaiden, Scribblenauts, etc). The friend data should be taken from that even though you may or may not "connect" via Miiverse.

I understand the family tree like this:

.......................................................................................|---> Mii Plaza........... |---> Miiverse
Nintendo Network..(basic features: Browser/Friend List,etc)...|---> Nintendo TVii
.......................................................................................|---> eShop

all of these should be able to talk to each other (we know NTVii can access Miiverse) and access data from each other but they all operate under the bigger Nintendo Network umbrella.

What we also know is that ZombiU will use uPlay (all Ubisoft games do these days so no surprise there). But I think it would be crazy to assume they'd use those accounts for their online features. You traditionally link your platform-account to your uPlay account so it always accesses the uPlay account automatically if you have done so.

I'm trying to find a way to phrase the two ways Miiverse is used but it seems finding a clear expression is very hard. When I say "does not actively use Miiverse," I mean in the way NSMBU and supposedly Nintendo Land will use it. Integrating Miiverse INTO the game directly (see: NSMBU map screen). When I say "has access to Miiverse," which all games do, I mean the activity feed thing that you can call up from the Wara Wara screen that shows you what people are saying about the game and who is playing it right now, the basic systeml-level stuff.

What the hell could meelow have possibly done?

The same thing he did last time, would be my guess? :)

I'm trying to find a way to phrase the two ways Miiverse is used but it seems finding a clear expression is very hard. When I say "does not actively use Miiverse," I mean in the way NSMBU and supposedly Nintendo Land will use it. Integrating Miiverse INTO the game directly (see: NSMBU map screen). When I say "has access to Miiverse," which all games do, I mean the activity feed thing that you can call up from the Wara Wara screen that shows you what people are saying about the game and who is playing it right now, the basic systeml-level stuff.

I'm pretty sure all games will "have access to Miiverse," as you put it. To me that is just the same as being able to see what game some one else is playing over Xbox Live, it should be a requirement for all games.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm pretty sure all games will "have access to Miiverse," as you put it. To me that is just the same as being able to see what game some one else is playing over Xbox Live, it should be a requirement for all games.

Yes, I said as much. We know already that all games will have "access" to that. That part is pretty much set in stone. They don't even need to require that since that is system-level functionality that is just ...there. Like your 3DS activity log that logs everything, even DS-games that were made when the 3DS hadn't even existed.

Well, I'm obviously just guessing here but I think that the friend-stuff is Nintendo Network related so the friend list they're using makes use of that. I say that because Nintendo Network is basically their big picture online roof that houses everything (eShop, Miiverse, etc). The NN logo is on all the game boxes that use online (Ninja Gaiden, Scribblenauts, etc). The friend data should be taken from that even though you may or may not "connect" via Miiverse.

I understand the family tree like this:

.......................................................................................|---> Mii Plaza........... |---> Miiverse
Nintendo Network..(basic features: Browser/Friend List,etc)...|---> Nintendo TVii
.......................................................................................|---> eShop

all of these should be able to talk to each other (we know NTVii can access Miiverse) and access data from each other but they all operate under the bigger Nintendo Network umbrella.

What we also know is that ZombiU will use uPlay (all Ubisoft games do these days so no surprise there). But I think it would be crazy to assume they'd use those accounts for their online features. You traditionally link your platform-account to your uPlay account so it always accesses the uPlay account automatically if you have done so.

The same thing he did last time, would be my guess? :)
Being too defensive? I had my eye on meelow I didnt see that anywhere.

AzaK

I guess for me design attractiveness is directly related to its utility and functionality. To me, the way I see it, the oddly disorganized floating bubbles with a zillion different fonts and colors and designs and then, in the background, hundreds of Mii's tromping around, making the image a busy mess... it's definitely not my idea of pretty OR functional.
I agree. The first thing I did when I saw MiiVerse for the first time was vomit. It is hideous, disorganised, ugly and just plain Yeuck!
[/QUOTE]

The latter I imagine, but maybe they're not quite so paranoid just that it's pretty ho hum and what they've done before. Therefore nothing really worth showing off.

Likewise. For the most part it works for me.

AzaK

I agree. The first thing I did when I saw MiiVerse for the first time was vomit. It is hideous, disorganised, ugly and just plain Yeuck!
[/QUOTE]

The latter I imagine, but maybe they're not quite so paranoid just that it's pretty ho hum and what they've done before. Therefore nothing really worth showing off.

Lyude77

Meh...I hope he comes back. He was funny with his "new" posts.

Do you think it could be the "hivemind" thing the mods (Nirolak) were talking about before E3? I looked at Meelow's latest posts, and I really didn't see anything, so I was wondering too (and I also hope he comes back).

I'm pretty excited for Miiverse. I'll have to friend a bunch of gaffers.

Do you think it could be the "hivemind" thing the mods (Nirolak) were talking about before E3? I looked at Meelow's latest posts, and I really didn't see anything, so I was wondering too (and I also hope he comes back).

I'm pretty excited for Miiverse. I'll have to friend a bunch of gaffers.
I have no idea at all.

D-e-f-

Banned

you live in a time loop. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Its quite Japanese. I can see it being a bit too cluttered for some people.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know what I'm excited for? The eShop games. Mostly Runner 2, Switch Force HD and Mutant Mudds Deluxe.

D-e-f-

Banned
What happens if your WiiU isn't connected to the Internet? What does Miiverse and the OS look like then?

Probably a "connect to the internet to experience the Miiverse" screen that might show some kind of preview or just a greyed out dummy version of the usual Miiverse stuff.

The actual menu on the touchscreen will surely be unchanged.

Top Bottom