• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

Juken

I'm happy to see Nintendo making an effort, but I hate the idea of having to look at Miis for another generation.

Amir0x

Banned
I would like a Mii redesign as well. Maybe more like MySims

Really, if we have to have these avatars, I guess Microsoft has the best approach. But it's ugly too.

And everyone needs to stay far, far away from the PlayStation method. Gross.

You have to remember that Miiverse is not the OS. It's a social network. You should be able to avoid it entirely.

That's what is confusing me. Everything I keep seeing about this system is that basically the Miiverse will be the first thing everyone sees, and you use it to navigate to programs, settings, online functions, etc.

Is there a more standard OS that can avoid this process, much the same way PlayStation Network has HOME that you need to open separately but a regular OS on the side?

You know that that "sub-HD" screen is comparatively tiny and you won't die from too many jaggies, right?

I won't die from too many jaggies, you are right. I've seen the screen and used it in action, though, and it's simply something I will avoid using where possible, is all, where there is a superior solution. I know it won't always be possible, but where I can limit its use I'll take that road.

The_Lump

Banned

That's not what I'm referring to.

Someone took some off camera shots of ZombiU and there were notifications on the corner (which I think looked like the miiverse icons, sorta).

Ah here we are:

wii-u-notification-1.jpg

No idea if its anything to do with miiverse, but I thought it was.

edit; Oh balls. Banned site which has WiiU news....Daily.

No, it's the first thing you see. What you think of when you say OS is also not the OS. The Xbox Dashboard is not the OS, the XMB is not the PS3's OS.

It doesn't have to be, that's optional. And fine, UI. Miiverse is not analogous to XMB or the Dashboard. They've said time and time again it's a social network integrated into the Wii U's menu, not the menu itself.

Meelow

Banned
I'm happy to see Nintendo making an effort, but I hate the idea of having to look at Miis for another generation.

Their is no reason for Nintendo to abandon the Mii's, I do wish though they made them look better, I like the Xbox Avatars.

big_erk

I like Miis, much better than I like Xbox avatars. Even with or maybe because of the simplified features you are able to create an easily identifiable representation of yourself. Miis look like well designed caricatures of the people they represent. Xbox avatars do not.

Their is no reason for Nintendo to abandon the Mii's, I do wish though they made them look better, I like the Xbox Avatars.

See above.

Amir0x

Banned
It doesn't have to be, that's optional. And fine, UI. Miiverse is not analogous to XMB or the Dashboard. They've said time and time again it's a social network integrated into the Wii U's menu, not the menu itself.

this is why this shit is so confusing... conflicting reports all over the place. Nintendo needs to get more specific already with only a few weeks left to go heh

with all the "games" I'll be purchasing on day 1 of Wii U's launch, this menu stuff may be something I fool around with a lot on launch day. That and Xenoblade, anyway :p

D-e-f-

Banned
That's not what I'm referring to.

Someone took some off camera shots of ZombiU and there were notifications on the corner (which I think looked like the miiverse icons, sorta).

Ah here we are:

wii-u-notification-1.jpg

No idea if its anything to do with miiverse, but I thought it was.

edit; Oh balls. Banned site which has WiiU news....Daily.

That pop-up was among the screens I linked you to. It has nothing to do with Miiverse. We know that already.

The_Lump

Banned
That pop-up was among the screens I linked you to. It has nothing to do with Miiverse. We know that already.

Yeah I see the same pop up now. Thought it looked different in the one I was trying to link to bit its the same - my bad.

Wasn't saying noone knew that already, was just pointing out where I was coming from.

And looking at some of your responses to people - you're obviously well read on miiverse and thanks for keeping people up to date. There's really no need for the impatience though mate. This is a thread to discuss miiverse after all, and not everyone has time to read everything on the subject so they ask questions or pose queries. Those in the know can inform without condescending :)

The_Lump

Banned
I like Miis, much better than I like Xbox avatars. Even with or maybe because of the simplified features you are able to create an easily identifiable representation of yourself. Miis look like well designed caricatures of the people they represent. Xbox avatars do not.

See above.

Yeah I've always liked the miis really. It's just the lack of limbs that bothered me. Weirdly for a Nintendo "character" it seemed a poor design choice (aesthetically at least).

cacildo

Miis are cute. Cuter than the Xbox avatars. Avatars are... i dont know... they just feel kinda douchey*

But miiverse, i dont think it will catch on

I know its a lame comparsion, but you do remember the wii "channels" everybody checked once and then forgot about, right? Like "everybody vote"?

*hope im saying it right

The Boat

I think Miis should stay simple, even if they add some customization like the hats from 3DS StreetPass games. Simple, but customizable Miis mean a broader appeal and they're an incentive for people to experiment which is why we see so many weird and different Miis like Wookies, Michael Jackson, Captain Falcon, Ghandi...

ASIS

Miis are cute. Cuter than the Xbox avatars. Avatars are... i dont know... they just feel kinda douchey*

I know its a lame comparsion, but you do remember the wii "channels" everybody checked once and then forgot about, right? Like "everybody vote"?

*hope im saying it right

There's a huge difference though.

1. Everybody votes isn't the first thing you see when you turn on your Wii, now is it?

2. Wii U's online structure is, or at least should be, much better than the Wii's, which would allow people to actually connect their console and utitlize its unique features.

A better comparison would be the itunes top 10. So many people care about that crap because its one of the first things they lay their eyes on, I think that caught on.

Davey Cakes

*hope im saying it right
I agree about Miis. I think they're great. They make either for a pretty simple caricature of a real person, or a decent representation of a fictional character. Miis are "simple fun." I don't particularly care for Xbox avatars. They do a better job of making people look like people, but come off as "goofy" to me in pretty much everything. The simple approach of Miis and "cuteness" made for a balance that Avatars just don't really have. As for Sony's approach to the concept with Home, that was just a misfire.

I think that Wii had a lot of good concepts that just weren't properly fulfilled. "Channels" were promising and neat on a conceptual level but they just didn't feel very integrated into the Wii itself. In fact, the Wii overall tried and mostly failed at giving a true sense of community with its online features. It had bits and pieces, but nothing to pull it all together. The Miiverse, on the other hand, seems like a much better attempt at making the Wii U feel "connected" with the rest of the Nintendo-gaming world. This is mostly because it's trying to be more like an actual social network rather than a weakly-connected social experience like the Wii's "Everybody Votes" and "Check Mii Out" channels. Miiverse is optional and yet it's like an extension of the Wii U's OS. I like what I've seen so far.

Well could go with the Animal Crossing look too...

Just do not like Miis because I never got one to look like me but would like to see something more charming used

I think Miis should stay simple, even if they add some customization like the hats from 3DS StreetPass games. Simple, but customizable Miis mean a broader appeal and they're an incentive for people to experiment which is why we see so many weird and different Miis like Wookies, Michael Jackson, Captain Falcon, Ghandi...

They should be about as simple as Xbox 360 avatars IMO. I hope they do something similar to Find Mii and Find Mii 2. Maybe just a free eShop game where you use your Mii characters in a rpg setting......

Humm, though they are kinda already doing that with Nintendoland lol

cand

I like miis, they are the best avatars. I don't like their games though... And, I know Pilotwings Resort is not that bad, but I blame the miis for the game not being awesome. Serious if I see Wuhu Island one more time I will shot someone in the face.

Goldmund

*hope im saying it right
Nintendo's idea was to provide the user with a simplified representation of himself inhabiting a game's world. Microsoft's idea was to create an army of display dummies flaunting -- in front of future victims and perpetrators -- the various marketing ploys they succumbed to.

Davey Cakes

I like miis, they are the best avatars. I don't like their games though... And, I know Pilotwings Resort is not that bad, but I blame the miis for the game not being awesome. Serious if I see Wuhu Island one more time I will shot someone in the face.
I'll agree about Wuhu Island. I think we've seen enough of that. Nintendo can come up with some new place for Miis to hang out. Maybe they can do something with NintendoLand on a conceptual level; stretch it into being more like an actual gigantic theme park.

Wuhu has been in Wii Sports Resort, Pilotwings Resort, and Mario Kart 7. Anything else? Either way, three games is probably enough.

Tmdean

Banned
Wuhu has been in Wii Sports Resort, Pilotwings Resort, and Mario Kart 7. Anything else? Either way, three games is probably enough.

They said in the Iwata Asks for Wii Sports Resort that Wuhu island was conceptualized as a setting that they would reuse for a variety of different games, so unless that's changed, I think we're going to see more of it.

Oersted

I'll agree about Wuhu Island. I think we've seen enough of that. Nintendo can come up with some new place for Miis to hang out. Maybe they can do something with NintendoLand on a conceptual level; stretch it into being more like an actual gigantic theme park.

Wii Fit U also.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just me or did the Mii design evolve?

guia_nsmbm.jpg

Based on the pics I have seen, Wii U Miis appear to be a bit taller, consistently possess solid arms and legs. The redraw of the face elements in HD also seems to have made them every so slightly less abstract.

Well, for games at least Mii heads are being attached to Mario-like bodies and Nintendo Land costumes made specifically for those games. From what is posted in the OP it looks like their basic design is relatively the same.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Iwata said that they wanted the island to be like a character, starring in several different games.

Xbox Avatars are a horribly sad imitation of Miis. As simple as the miis are they give you a lot more creative freedom to come up with wacky little characters.

Kiryu

would you kindly read the post right above yours? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPd...ailpage#t=758s

2012 Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct

watch. it won't be skype.
Ah I forget about Nintendo Direct but I did watch it at E3 last year.

Is it weird that if you want to have video chat with someone with Wii U since most of my friends won't get Wii U. Therefore I would be high likely to chat with strangers on Neogaf who owns Wii U. They should implent Skype or anything similar to it but I remember Sony owns Skype...? :O

Tmdean

Banned
Sony owns Skype...? :O

You're thinking of Microsoft.

When Apple announced Facetime they promised to make it an open standard. But to no one's surprise that hasn't happened.

I don't think there's any open standard video calling protocol that Nintendo could have used. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Glass Joe

Just a thought... It would be really awesome if MiiVerse included communities. A NeoGAF community, for example, that you can sign up for and get approved, to compare high scores and relevant game discussions, without having to add everyone individually.

Just a thought... It would be really awesome if MiiVerse included communities. A NeoGAF community, for example, that you can sign up for and get approved, to compare high scores and relevant game discussions, without having to add everyone individually.

That would make a lot of sense.

wsippel

Banned
You're thinking of Microsoft.

When Apple announced Facetime they promised to make it an open standard. But to no one's surprise that hasn't happened.

I don't think there's any open standard video calling protocol that Nintendo could have used. Correct me if I'm wrong.
XMPP is an open standard and supports video chat via the Google developed Jingle extension.

Based on the pics I have seen, Wii U Miis appear to be a bit taller, consistently possess solid arms and legs. The redraw of the face elements in HD also seems to have made them every so slightly less abstract.
The Miis walking around in the Nintendoland hub show the best representation of these "new" Miis. I believe Iwata has said it before that Miis will be changing slightly.

And welp I went to my gamestop today to pay off my Wii U a bit and all I have is 116 left. They told me no midnight ;( screw them!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Miiverse is integrated into the OS. It is part of the OS, and it is what you'll see when you boot up the system. But it's not the only part of the OS, and not necessarily the main way you'll navigate the system. That's what the second screen on the GamePad is for.

Iwata has stated that, initially, a more traditional menu/channel based navigation screen will appear on the GamePad. I assume it will be very similar to the Wii and 3DS. You'll use this to directly access your applications, games, menus, settings, and all that crap.

Miiverse is like...it's like having the map screen of a DS/3DS game appear on the lower screen. It's an 'overview' of the social networking Miiverse, the feed of information and networking Miis appearing in this image next to icons of your games and applications. You don't necessarily use Miiverse the image to navigate the OS.

And as Iwata stated, the OS and Miiverse display are interchangeable between the GamePad and main display. If you'd rather the traditional display appear on the main screen, fine, Miiverse will appear on the GamePad instead. End of the day, the point is both will always be enabled. You've got two screens, not just one.

How the traditional OS screen actually looks is a mystery. Nintendo hasn't shown it yet.

I am thinking I need a new ISP just so I can take full advantage of being online all the time with Miiverse. Right now my current wifi setup is set in a way that if I am online with Wii it kicks my macbook offline, if I have my 3DS using it same problem I can only use one device at a time.

Unless I can get my ISP to fix this standard for my wireless devices I'll need to get something else to use Miiverse without interruptions.

Yuripaw

Banned
What?!!! miis over avatars any day, you can have way more fun with miis.

Agreed. Xbox avatars all kinda feel the same to me. They all had similar proportions, and while there are plenty of outfits people can buy for their avatars (ugh), i feel like all the different outfits can't change how they all look fucking the same. They all have the same shitty poses, and shit eating grin that i expect some microsoft board member thinks people should wear.

Miis are kinda like a model of simplicity. You can customize the face, and color of the outfit, but that's it. It's not going overboard. I've always at least felt that you can add more character and personality with the faces on a Mii.

I've made multiple Miis, and consistently I feel like I'm able to make one that looks like me. Never been the case for avatars.

you guys bringing up MS Avatars makes me wonder if MS will also have a Social Network hub based around them just so they can do this "me too" again
In other words how long until Miiverse is copied?

RedSwirl

Someone told me Nintendo confirmed that, at least communities in the style of Mario Kart 7 being system-wide. If they made those "communities" cross-game it could be a really cool online gaming feature that neither Sony nor Microsoft have.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah I see the same pop up now. Thought it looked different in the one I was trying to link to bit its the same - my bad.

Wasn't saying noone knew that already, was just pointing out where I was coming from.

And looking at some of your responses to people - you're obviously well read on miiverse and thanks for keeping people up to date. There's really no need for the impatience though mate. This is a thread to discuss miiverse after all, and not everyone has time to read everything on the subject so they ask questions or pose queries. Those in the know can inform without condescending :)

Sorry, some people here just don't even read the last page or even the last few posts. Gets very frustrating after a while. I'll try to reign it in even further. :)

The_Lump

Banned
Sorry, some people here just don't even read the last page or even the last few posts. Gets very frustrating after a while. I'll try to reign it in even further. :)

Yeah sorry, I'm probably guilty of that lately as I'm sneaking a read whilst at work! No worries though.

Back to ZombiU, I wonder why they didn't just tweak their notifications and other semi-online features to fit into miiverse? I assume it was introduced to devs too late in the game maybe.

Any chance some launch window games might get some miiverse love by the time they launch?

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah sorry, I'm probably guilty of that lately as I'm sneaking a read whilst at work! No worries though.

Back to ZombiU, I wonder why they didn't just tweak their notifications and other semi-online features to fit into miiverse? I assume it was introduced to devs too late in the game maybe.

Any chance some launch window games might get some miiverse love by the time they launch?

The only one that might use it out of the retail games is Scribblenauts. They already said they would back at E3 but then backpedaled later a little bit. I doubt the sports games will have it crammed in at the last minute because ...well ...effort. Effort, port and sports games don't go well together :)

And I believe the Cloudberry Kingdom guys flat out said they wanted to put it in there. I guess they have a bit more leeway with smaller eShop games since they don't have the hassle with pressing discs in time and stuff. But that might not make it out this year so who knows.

I really don't think we'll see any non-1st party games with Miiverse this year (maybe one)

man nintendo is starting to get dated

errm ...?

kami_sama

I am thinking I need a new ISP just so I can take full advantage of being online all the time with Miiverse. Right now my current wifi setup is set in a way that if I am online with Wii it kicks my macbook offline, if I have my 3DS using it same problem I can only use one device at a time.

Unless I can get my ISP to fix this standard for my wireless devices I'll need to get something else to use Miiverse without interruptions.

I suppose you are connecting to the Internet through the router the company provided, right?

Then you just need to buy an extra wireless router and connect the devices to there.

Axiology

The Miis have evolved. Mostly from Wii to 3DS, though.

We haven't had an extensive look at the Miis for WiiU, but I know there are a lot more options for the Miis on 3DS

Top Bottom