• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will every PS5 and Nextbox game also have to function with PS4 Pro and XBOX?

No and there is no evidence that they will. This is a fear that people keep having for no good reason at all. I saw many people here insisting that the Pro was a new generation that was going to have exclusive games, it wasn't. Then people were saying the XB1X was going to be that way, it wasn't. And there was never anything pointing in that direction for either of those systems either except for MS's weird "beyond generations" thing which came off as nothing more than a buzz term to me.

Backwards compatibility is a given, but neither of these companies are about to start mandating cross gen games, that would be incredibly stupid. You don't release new hardware just to intentionally gimp the developers using it. Both the Pro and The XB1X were designed for 4K, that is their purpose. That's why the only things that were dramatically changed were things that would enable that to be done with CURRENT engine technology. Those resources can be used in other ways but that wasn't the intention.

ethomaz

Banned
lol so now that OG XBOX games will run on X1X do you think that they will be held back? 😂
Wut?

Your comment makes no sense.

Nextbox can play old games and that has nothing to do with OP subject.

What he says makes no sense regarding Xbox.
No sense are people believing Nextbox (Xbox Two?) games will run on Xbox One.

There will be a new gen where cross gen games will stop to exists... so Xbox One family of consoles will be excluded from the new games that will play only on Nextbox.

usually a game made to run at a certain framerate can't maintain that framerate on a weaker CPU

maybe if the ps5 version is 60 fps a ps4 version can be 30 fps

I expect full backwards compatibility for the next XBOX: that means it will play all XBOX One games.

I do not expect full forwards compatibility for the next XBOX: that means new games coming to the next XBOX may not necessarily work on older hardware.

Novocaine

It will be interesting to see what happens to the GAAS games. Like will Minecraft get a nextbox version? Or will the Xbox One version be pushed? If it gets a nextbox version what convinces me to buy it again when my Xbox One version works with everything?

Goalus

We will see... MS will launch a new gen console without any tie with this generation.

This nextbox will have exclusive games that only run on it and PC... no XB1 family support.

It won't because Xbox One X would have no purpose in this case.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Nobody really knows at this point.

My guess is that Microsoft will strongly encourage supporting a downgraded version that will work on One X but one the One or One S, but ultimately it will be up to the publisher. This will continue until Nextbox X. BC standard from now on.

PS5, no way in hell. And who knows.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony will have forward compatibility. People who think this will happen don't really seem to know much about game development, because it is nowhere the same as mobile app development.

Forward compatibility would introduce massive headaches for developers, and seriously cripple the technical scope of their games. It would also make progress in areas like CPU mostly useless.

There is also no chance that Microsoft will introduce forward compatibility, while Sony won't. Just think about it: This would require that all developers build their games around the Jaguar CPU of Xbox One (X). Third party devs will not do that, especially considering PlayStation is currently the market leader. And it makes no sense for first party devs either. Xbox exclusives would seriously lack compared to PlayStation exclusives, and Microsoft can not allow this to happen, because their first party effort is already seen in a bad spot.

Shock32

lol so now that OG XBOX games will run on X1X do you think that they will be held back? 😂

You're talking about backwards compatibility, which is good, everyone agrees. But the discussion is forward compatibility which is not so good to a point imo. Using your example, imagine is crackdown 3 was compatible with the OG xbox.

I honest hope MS and Sony will go different routes
So the consumer can choose if they hate and don't want to be "held back" by crossgen, or if they prefer a no generation approach and want backwards and forward compatibility

MS platform will be like currently it is on PC:

Eventually Xbone support will stop being mandated, but that does not mean 100% of the new games won't work on it anymore, it will be on a per game basis.

With the fact that if you buy the game on xbone you already have a XboneZ (the sucessor of scorpio) version that will run that game even better means that even those that want to wait until the hardware becomes cheaper will be still active purchasing new games, so there's an incentive for developers to continue supporting it longer.

Think Destiny, instead of being 2 separated versions being a single purchase that allows you to keep playing with your friends that upgraded to xbone, and when you finally move too because you wanted or an update made the game no longer able to run on 360 you get to keep all your progress, and dlc, and friends.

In other words, perfection.

ethomaz

Banned
It won't because Xbox One X would have no purpose in this case.
Xbox One X purpose is to be a mid-gen premium refresh for users that wants a premium device this generation.

It has nothing to do with the next generation.

Nextbox games won't play on any Xbox One hardware (that include Xbox One X) unless the early cross gen games that will be dropped after first year.

Making an example...

- First Nextbox CoD will be cross gen and support Xbox One X.
- Second Nextbox CoD will be new gen only and take advantage only of Nextbox hardware.

AmyS

Gemüsepizza;241072566 said:
Neither Microsoft nor Sony will have forward compatibility. People who think this will happen don't really seem to know much about game development, because it is nowhere the same as mobile app development.

Forward compatibility would introduce massive headaches for developers, and seriously cripple the technical scope of their games. It would also make progress in areas like CPU mostly useless.

There is also no chance that Microsoft will introduce forward compatibility, while Sony won't. Just think about it: This would require that all developers build their games around the Jaguar CPU of Xbox One (X). Third party devs will not do that, especially considering PlayStation is currently the market leader. And it makes no sense for first party devs either. Xbox exclusives would seriously lack compared to PlayStation exclusives, and Microsoft can not allow this to happen, because their first party effort is already seen in a bad spot.

This.

I agree 100%

Goalus

You're talking about backwards compatibility, which is good, everyone agrees. But the discussion is forward compatibility which is not so good to a point imo. Using your example, imagine is crackdown 3 was compatible with the OG xbox.

Forward compatibility in the Xbox ecosystem will always only extend over "adjacent" devices.

No and there is no evidence that they will. This is a fear that people keep having for no good reason at all. I saw many people here insisting that the Pro was a new generation that was going to have exclusive games, it wasn't. Then people were saying the XB1X was going to be that way, it wasn't. And there was never anything pointing in that direction for either of those systems either except for MS's weird "beyond generations" thing which came off as nothing more than a buzz term to me.

Backwards compatibility is a given, but neither of these companies are about to start mandating cross gen games, that would be incredibly stupid. You don't release new hardware just to intentionally gimp the developers using it. Both the Pro and The XB1X were designed for 4K, that is their purpose. That's why the only things that were dramatically changed were things that would enable that to be done with CURRENT engine technology. Those resources can be used in other ways but that wasn't the intention.

No evidence for PS4, Phil has more than once said that this is their plan for Xbox, even if they are still going to take a wait and see approach instead of committing to doing it this early.

Pachinko

Nah , at least not the PS5. I'd expect it'll have a far better CPU meaning the best we can hope for is that last gen games will simply have an upgrade tax the way a few titles did on PS3 back in 2013. This would only affect "games as a service" titles like Destiny or FFXIV though.

So , something worth keeping in mind going forward then - PS4 releases will always run on a regular or pro model and may even work via BC on a PS5 but new PS5 titles most likely won't work on the PS4 line save for a few exceptions.

MS won't be making a new Xbox for 4-5 years now so it's probably an even safer bet that we won't see forwards compatibility there either.

Goalus

Xbox One X purpose is to be a mid-gen premium refresh for users that wants a premium device this generation.

It has nothing to do with the next generation.

Nextbox games won't play on any Xbox One hardware (that include Xbox One X) unless the early cross gen games that will be dropped after first year.

No that isn't its only purpose.
You can only come to this conclusion if you are convinced that just because Sony might do it this way, everyone else will as well.

No evidence for PS4, Phil has more than once said that this is their plan for Xbox, even if they are still going to take a wait and see approach instead of committing to doing it this early.

When? Aside from his dubious "beyond generations" term, when has he explicitly said that their plan for the next system is to mandate that there has to be XB1 versions of those games?

You can only come to this conclusion if you are convinced that just because Sony might do it this way, everyone else will as well.

Yes, based on what we have heard that is in fact it's only purpose. They have said it over and over again. The thing was built to play XB1 games at 4K.

ethomaz

Banned
Nah , at least not the PS5. I'd expect it'll have a far better CPU meaning the best we can hope for is that last gen games will simply have an upgrade tax the way a few titles did on PS3 back in 2013. This would only affect "games as a service" titles like Destiny or FFXIV though.

So , something worth keeping in mind going forward then - PS4 releases will always run on a regular or pro model and may even work via BC on a PS5 but new PS5 titles most likely won't work on the PS4 line save for a few exceptions.

MS won't be making a new Xbox for 4-5 years now so it's probably an even safer bet that we won't see forwards compatibility there either.
We will be talking about PS5 and new Xbox in 2019/2020... so the newXbox is just 2-3 years max away.

7nm being ready Sony and MS will show new exclusive (not being hold by old) hardware.

ethomaz

Banned
It is not my conclusion.

MS themselves specified this purpose but I can see some users having dreams with things that MS never supported like a different purpose for Xbox One X.

Goalus

I could imagine a new Xbox in as early as three years (i.e. fall 2020) - that nobody will need to buy in order to stay in the ecosystem because all the newest games will run on Xbox One X as well. But like with Xbox One X at this moment, you _could_ buy it if you want the high-end Xbox.

ethomaz

Banned
I could imagine a new Xbox in as early as three years (i.e. fall 2020) - that nobody will need to buy in order to stay in the ecosystem because all the newest games will run on Xbox One X as well. But like with Xbox One X at this moment, you _could_ buy it if you want the high-end Xbox.
Nextbox in 2020 will have it Ryse and Forza 5 like game... you will only play it only Nextbox.

I hope that they do. Move it closer to a tablet/smartphone upgrade cycle with frequent refreshes that maintain comparability going backwards indefinitely, and going forwards for at least 5-7 years.

Goalus

It is not my conclusion.

MS themselves specified this purpose but I can see some users having dreams with things that MS never supported like a different purpose for Xbox One X.

OK, then let's see how it turns out.
I personally think that cost and effort that went into the development of Xbox One X are a little too large to just dump it in three years.

MS has also said that generations are a thing of the past in their ecosystem from now on. And the only way this could come to be would be the approach that I have laid out.

Only gaffers would think games being "held back" is a bigger concern to devs than hard-resetting a 100-million+ install base.

Third party AAA development is getting too expensive to absorb the hard reset between generations. Third parties have the most weight in the industry right now. Something will give, no matter what Mark Cerny's preferences are.

People saying "most ps5 games will only play on ps5" are deluding themselves. Even if Sony and Microsoft don't get rid of the concept of traditional generations, third parties will still release titles cross-gen for at least a year or more after "PS5" or whatever comes out.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Theres no reason why they couldn't do it, whether they is a different story.

It will be interesting to see how console manufactures and publishers handle it. I fully expect the next generation to be fully backwards compatible due to the hardware decisions they made going into this generation. But whether they will use these current consoles as the min requirements going into future generations is a different problem to address, the current generation best selling consoles essentially started over again in regards to what it could play, that hasn't stopped millions buying it, but will millions buy new consoles when they can continue to play every new game coming out? Some people will always upgrade, but if every PS5/XB2 game plays on current consoles there will there be the same urge to get a new console?

But I am also fine with how console generations have worked, forward compatibility is a nice idea and will work to some extent in regards to how we are moving to dynamic resolutions, but there's only so many organic improvements you can do without having to put out new stuff.
It will get to a point though where the baseline will move on. It does on pretty much everything at some point the gap is just usually bigger or seems bigger due to the number of hardware releaseses, people use phones as examples but seem to ignore than the OS makers leave older models behind and apps stop getting updates or just don't work eventually without specific OS versions.

What I would like at least at the start of a new generation is similar to what Dice did with BF4, buy one version and get an upgraded one when you get the new console. Like how you can get films that have both DVD and Blu-Ray discs. It's "forward compatibility" to a point, but the last console can be left when they feel they can't do what they want on older hardware.

Crayon

It would be crippling. A cross get game should simply release as a ps4 game. Naturally backwards compatible with ps5. If you can play ps5 games on a ps4 that is a backwards and confusing way to do things.

There's usually a 1 year period after a new console launches where publishers make their games for both the new and old systems. After that it should be focused almost exclusively on PC/PS5/Xbox 2

DFox

How it works with PlayStation is really clear.

It is up to developers to add cross-play between titles like today inside the PlayStation eco-system PS3, PS4, Vita & PS5.

Developers will not be required to release there games on multiple platforms but they have the choice.

Rune Corp

Neo Member
It takes developers a while to get the most out of new hardware, so I can MAYBE see the first PS5 games also being playable on PS4 Pro/ Nextbox games on X1X (with downgrades like a reduced framerate) until everyone gets out of the learning curve.

That said I don't know enough about tech to know if that's feasible, but given how we typically get cross-gen games when a new generation starts it at least seems feasible (to me)?

xrnzaaas

I would imagine there will be a transition period with crossgen first party titles (probably quite a long one) but ultimately they should let them go.

I don't think next gen games will be playable on current gen consoles, but I do think my digital Xbox library of Xbox, 360, and One games will be playable on Nextbox. I don't really care if Sony wants to gouge it's customers again for the same content as I don't have a Sony digital library.

Do you have a link for where Phil says that their future plan is forwards compatibility

This one?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...out-the-future-of-console-games/#583efd4128f5

"So from a development platform, we needed to think about our hardware as multi-generational. Because we said 'Okay, there's gonna be games that are going to live multiple generations. And our software platform really has to service a developer's need to service an ongoing set of users."

Full interview:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Phil_Spencer_looks_to_the_future_of_Xbox.php

I fucking hope not, that would be terrible for us as consumers and the industry as a whole.

New generations create a new baseline, a new minimum target that raises the ambitions and potential of all games. If we're shackled to outdated technology, potentially a decade old, and especially with those weak CPU's, we may as well all get new hobbies right now.

When? Aside from his dubious "beyond generations" term, when has he explicitly said that their plan for the next system is to mandate that there has to be XB1 versions of those games?

He's been giving interviews about that for a while now, even on the E3 interviews there's 2 or 3 where he goes into detail of what they want to do for the future of Xbox.

But honestly, it's already in a point they don't need to tell us anymore to see where they are going because it's already a very clear path:

- They unified their OS, development platforms, features, and even the store across PC, Xbox (and even Mobile)
- They are not throwing that away on the next xbox and starting over.
- The store already allows a single purchase granting license to play on a range of devices
- The development platform (uwp) already allows developing to xbox one, scaling up to xbonex, and scaling up even higher on high end PCs.
- And more importantly, it also allows to scale lower than xbone
- You have a unified development platform that works on xbone, xbonex and xboneZ, so it's not like going from 360 to xbone where the dev platform was completely different and incompatible, this means less work for supporting all the range.
- You have a unified OS with the same features, again unlike OG Xbox -> 360 and 360 -> Xbone where the change in development platform required a change even on xbox live. So same network across all devices that can just log in and interact together.
- You have a unified store across all these devices (something that also used to be remade every generation shift) allowing games purchased to be used on all devices that store supports.

Connecting the dots is really easy to see where this goes.

As for Phil saying himself, here's an text interview where he goes about these topics:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Phil_Spencer_looks_to_the_future_of_Xbox.phpQ

Today, if I look at the top ten games that people are playing on Xbox One (and I do that every day) a lot of those games are games that have been around for years

So as we were looking at the development platform, we saw games that had a longevity in the market. Not just from people playing, but also frankly developers building new content and continuing to profit off of people playing those games.

So when we thought about our tools, I said okay, games are going to live longer than we're used to them living on our platform. Which means from the service capability and monetization standpoint, we've got to go build tools so that they can continue to give content and services and other things to the customers.

So from a development platform, we needed to think about our hardware as multi-generational. Because we said 'Okay, there's gonna be games that are going to live multiple generations. And our software platform really has to service a developer's need to service an ongoing set of users.

So then when we started thinking about our hardware generations, and I talked about this a little bit at one of our showcase events last year, where I talked about hardware -- and I'm thinking as much as I'm saying -- I was thinking about console generations being able to take on some of the advantages that PCs have. Without becoming PCs themselves.

And then start talking to developers about like, what is scalable resolution, and why are you putting that into your game. Why might that be interesting in the future, if new CPU or GPU capability came online and you were able to use that

Like Halo 5 was a great example, right. It has dynamic scaling of resolution so in more complex scenes, those games, obviously you throttle down a bit on the resolution to keep framerate constant and you think well if you've got more CPU, what's going to happen in that situation. Well, the thing is gonna max itself out, right, and it's gonna run better.

I think of gaming in a similar fashion. And console generations make that difficult to do. There are advantages to the console generations, but I wanted to try to evolve our capability to kind of have the best of both. Old games that work well, new games that are innovative, and hardware platforms that could scale.

ElfArmy177

Hope so, what I'd like to see is everything on the new Xbox runs all Xbox one games, but I don't want the new games to run on old hardware. It holds back potentially great ideas

ByWatterson

Yes, but only for a time, as with this generation, although I expect the crossgen tail to be much longer, given the midgen refreshes.

Shin

Banned
Don't know why any platform holder would want forward compatibility, it renders all the money they spent on R&D useless.
Evolution is all about moving forward (imagine where the world would be without it), we can't stop it as much as people love their nostalgia.

Top Bottom