• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Marvel games with the quality of the Arkham games ?

The question is if we will even see other DC character games with the quality of Arkham

Green Arrow has potential.

Choosing your own path. Be a vigilante who murders goons or be an upstanding hero who inspires his city to be better.

Could work.

First Light showed a Flash game could work pretty well too.

Considering Disney closed down Lucasarts, it doesn't seem like Disney is eager to venture into AAA games publishing too much.

I wonder why Disney closed Lucasarts by the way, couldn't they have integrated Lucasarts into Disney Interactive Studios to have an expansive video game publishing division where they have creative control?

They just closed the development side of the studio and changed them into a licensing office. Disney wants AAA Star Wars games, hence their deal with EA. More than just Battlefront is in the works right now.

I dunno why people think the same cant happen with Marvel. Just because Disney doesn't want to develop the games themselves doesn't mean they won't license the IPs out. There is already evidence to support that.

Disney seems content to work mostly outside of the AAA space. So many Marvel mobile and f2p games. I know a guy who's poor af but managed to spend 10k on Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

Thats just...sad. The nature of F2P games doesn't sit right with me for this reason. It purposefully exploits the same personality flaws in some people as gambling or any other addiction.

FLAguy954

To be fair, Activision was absolutely killing it with the the PS1 Spider-Man games, Spider-Man 2 on the PS2, and the X-men Legends games(especially 2 which was fucking awesome) before Arkham Asylum came along.

Mulgrok

Marvel heroes 2015 is is a pretty good game.

I put around 2400 hours into it so far.... maybe I need an intervention. :p

Meneses

I think Spider-man actually fits Arkham's combat style better, with his quickness and agility. Sometimes it feels off when Batman lunges from one side of the screen to the other and continues the combo.

At this point, though, i'd settle for a Spidey game with great swinging mechanics.

MattyG

Banned
Hopefully. I'm shocked that Disney hasn't pitched deals for the rights to publishers like they did with Star Wars.

ninjabat

I dont know. I guess it depends on how big profits are for the mobile games. if those are big enough, then disney probably feels there is no need for AAA games.

Really hope they can make a new spiderman game soon.

Neoxon

Injustice Marvel Edition would be excellent. Netherrealm should do it as their next game.
Best leave the Marvel fighting games to Capcom once they get their financial shit together. While a NRS-made Marvel game wouldn't be bad, it wouldn't exactly last long in the FGC.

JoshHood

I wish :(

Seriously though, Disney do look like they might be slowly moving back towards console development, and Infinity seems to be doing well for them.

However, I feel like if they are gonna do it, they'll go all out with one of their big heroes or teams just to fit in with the MCU thing, and having all that on it will kill it. Movie tie-ins never seem to work out, and all the best superhero games are the ones that exist in their own universes.

Plus, you know they'll go for Iron Man or Captain America just because they're the big names, even if they don't make the most sense gameplay-wise. Like (and I know this is totally the hot topic right now) Daredevil: he has an in-universe explanation for the Detective Mode-style stuff, there's a specific, dense, open-world, and a pool of great but grounded villains.

But alas.

FoneBone

I dunno why people think the same cant happen with Marvel. Just because Disney doesn't want to develop the games themselves doesn't mean they won't license the IPs out. There is already evidence to support that.

There's nothing stopping it in theory, but there aren't a lot of publishers left that are big enough to make such a deal - I'd say EA, Activision, Ubi, and mayyyyybe Square Enix - and I'm not sure what their capacity to take on such a deal is at this point.

Neoxon

Injustice Marvel Edition would be excellent. Netherrealm should do it as their next game.
Best leave the Marvel fighting games to Capcom once they get their financial shit together. While a NRS-made Marvel game wouldn't be bad, it wouldn't exactly last long in the FGC.

After 3/UMvC3 I don't blame people.

Marvel (and Disney now) is more concerned about making cash off of movies.
And yet UMvC3 is still a tournament staple. While yes, it's pretty broken, it's basically a love letter to the Marvel universe.

Xemnas89

Green Arrow has potential.

Choosing your own path. Be a vigilante who murders goons or be an upstanding hero who inspires his city to be better.

Could work.

First Light showed a Flash game could work pretty well too.

The super sprint mechanic in Saint Row 4 makes me think someone could easily make a Flash game using that but with some slight changes.

Neoxon

And while there's a chance we'll get that AAA Marvel game, don't expect that game to involve the X-Men or the Fantastic Four, who are being neglected on the gaming side of things.

The best Marvel games I've ever played are a bit old school: X-Men Legends I & II. To my tastes both are arguably better than the Arkham games (I love the Arkham series & totally different genre though, so...).

More recently, I thought Wolverine was a pretty darn good game. Spider-Man 2 on OG Xbox was awesome. I have a copy of Spider-Man 3 for 360...heard it was also awesome but haven't played it yet. In a similar vein to X-Men Legends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance is also great (haven't played the sequel yet...).

It does seem like Marvel is slacking off the past few years compared to the Arkham franchise, but there have been some very good games previously. I think Marvels best games have been the team based ones to this point. So if I had to guess there's probably some thinking behind the scenes to get a new one of those out the door, but the question is how to do it "right", improve on the old ones significantly, etc... LEGO Marvel is GREAT so it kinda fills that niche a bit.

I've also heard good things about the Captain America & Deadpool games but haven't played either yet.

I've always wanted an open world, team based X-Men game that follows the "Days of Future Past" storyline. John Byrne was a genius & wrote/drew some of the best storylines in comics back in the day. I was hopeful we'd get a new X-Men game with the latest movie...was afraid it'd be a cheap cash-in...instead we got nada.

Gestault

Spider-man 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Marvel vs Capcom, Punisher (2005), X-Men Origins Wolverine and some others strike me as good stuff from not too long ago. I loved X-Men 2 Clone Wars, but that's admittedly going back a bit further.

Karak

We just did a long videocast about this(2 days ago), the reasons why its been lacking, and what we would want to see, as well as why we want to see them. Its an odd dilemma right now. Aside from a few staples its barren really. We discuss not just Marvel but DC as well.

link

We have had really good Spider-Man games at least. Shattered Dimensions was pretty damn good, and super cool. Beenox has the talent an passion if Activision would have given them a reasonable timeframe and budget. It won't happen, but a Suker Punch Spider-Man game would be fantastic.

Has there been a licensed game made by a 1st party studio in the last 10-15 years? Is something like that even possible?

As for Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), there are some I could see working. A Captain America action game could be very good. A Black Widow/Hawkeye stealth/action game could be very good.

But how do you make an Iron Man game? I don't think a Panzer Dragoon type of game would work.

Merkunt

*cough* *cough*

xmvsf.png

Karak

When we were at GDC we did get to talk to some devs and Cadiz, my partner on the channel, did ask about this from a couple devs who used to be involved with these kinds of games or had worked on them in the past and aside from the 1 or 2 comments from Marvels Entertainment lead about not having the trinity of reasons to make a game, there was no answer.
In fact it puzzled a couple of them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Spider-Man=Sucker Punch
Daredevil=Rocksteady
Punisher=Rockstar
Spider-Gwen=Platinum

Spider gwen by platinum would be a dream come true but if plot is actually going to be of any importance at all, marvel should write it and just leave P* in charge of gameplay, I love them to bits but I wouldnt be able to recommend any of their games for a gripping storyline

Actually Wonderful 101 would be the exception here the writing in that was hilarious at times

Why spider gwen by platinum? Shes not really a platinum like character. Moon knight and moonstone on the other hand.

I don't get people's fascination with a character that's been around for only a few months and whos comics arent particularly good. Just make a spidernan game

This.

Karak

Maybe as we discussed in the podcast Lego and Infinity and those games have just been an easier boat for companies to jump into.

Seriously, Marvel is doing such a great job with their movies and universe and they're making a ton of money, but all the games we get is licenced shit.

Will we see good games from Marvel and what would you like to see in the future.

ALSO, DC is not better. Besides Batman, they have nothing. Get your shit together and give us an open world superman game.

Your opinions, GAF ?

Big difference between knowing how to make great movies and knowing to make great games.

Karak

Big difference between knowing how to make great movies and knowing to make great games.

Right and knowing that they don't always need to be open world or a specific format, and knowing that a cheap android iOS isn't the same thing as mobile gets tons of games with superheros and many suck.

Personally a more grounded superhero jumping in on the popularity of TV shows but using the Alan Wake (last time on Alan Wake) format could rock. BUT NOT EPISODIC.

We have had really good Spider-Man games at least. Shattered Dimensions was pretty damn good, and super cool. Beenox has the talent an passion if Activision would have given them a reasonable timeframe and budget. It won't happen, but a Suker Punch Spider-Man game would be fantastic.

Has there been a licensed game made by a 1st party studio in the last 10-15 years? Is something like that even possible?

As for Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), there are some I could see working. A Captain America action game could be very good. A Black Widow/Hawkeye stealth/action game could be very good.

But how do you make an Iron Man game? I don't think a Panzer Dragoon type of game would work.

You're right. If devs are using Panzer Dragoon & Iron Man in the same sentence it'd be a disaster.

We already have a baseline game for how to do open world flight mechanics right...the 360 Superman game. Its only cool for a few minutes until u realize how repetitive it is. But, it DOES get one thing right: flight. Thats about the only thing it does right. But I mean it absolutely NAILS that cool feeling of taking off straight up like a rocket, changing course and flying over a city at mach 3, and then landing with a satisfying THWOOMP! in the middle of a bunch of thugs, scattering them, and then proceeding to go to town knocking them around with light poles and punching them thru buildings. The combat stuff is ultra repetitive and, like I said, after 30 minutes i was like, "Is that all there is to it?" But that flight mechanic. Man, is it sweet. If some dev could take that and fine tune it, then u have the basis for a really good Iron Man action adventure or open worldish game.

Hah no they're not! They were succesful sure, but one of a kind? A seperate team manage to make a passable Arkham Origins means they're literally not.

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games of all time, i didnt even finish Origins. Its metacritic score is 20+ points lower and the critics were being overly generous imo.

Karak

Asylum and City are two of my favorite games of all time, i didnt even finish Origins. Its metacritic score is 20+ points lower and the critics were being overly generous imo.

Mine too but those games were possibly overrated for what they offered and perhaps the 3rd suffered some burn out. Just saying its not all metacritic. In fact it should never at all by metacritic based ;)

As for Ironman discussion I think that would be much more interesting if NOT openworld. Not every game needs to be and a finely tuned story/missions based one would do that character much better. I mean having Ironman fly around and collect orbs or stop random fights, or whatever just doesn't seem interesting for that character much.

dorkkaos

Out of all the spiderman games, I really enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman.

mvc games are also top tier!

Xmen legends and all the sequels, all the way to ultimate alliance. Loved them.

I've heard the Origins story is significantly better (which wouldn't be hard to do). Haven't played it yet though.

I'm expecting Marvel to be in Kingdom Hearts 3 and for Kingdom Hearts 3 to be awesome.

And yeah, I'm certain that Disney is going to bring their focus around to these things at some point.

Top Bottom