• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Marvel games with the quality of the Arkham games ?

Slayven

At the very least the X-Men are still doing fine in the comics & are getting a good bit of love (& while the F4's comic got cancelled, they're still major players in Secret Wars, plus there's Johnny's upcoming inclusion in Uncanny Inhumans), but merchandise & game appearances for the X-Men has slowed to a crawl & F4 merchandise were outright banned by Marvel.

F4 never moved toys, even when they had them. Actvision isn't going to sink money into a license game.

Neoxon

F4 never moved toys, even when they had them. Actvision isn't going to sink money into a license game.
That may be true, but at least they were bunched with more popular characters. That's no longer the case. Likewise, the X-Men don't have much in the name of merchandise these days & figure makers were recently told by Marvel execs to scale back on X-Men stuff.

Slayven

That may be true, but at least they were bunched with more popular characters. That's no longer the case. Likewise, the X-Men don't have much in the name of merchandise these days & figure makers were recently told by Marvel execs to scale back on X-Men stuff.

Got to produce what sales, that is Spiderman and the Avengers.

I want a 70s Junkie Walking-Talking Xavier and 70s Swinger Wolverine figures like everyone else. But them the breaks.

SykoTech

I enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom 3 more than any of the Arkham games. Haven't finished Origins yet though (just beat Copperhead), but I don't think it'll change things once I do beat it.

But yeah, I would definitely like more quality standalone Marvel games. Spider-Man by Sucker Punch would be amazing. Hopefully the Battlefront and the upcoming story driven Star Wars game sell big and give Disney some motivation to push for some quality Marvel videogames too...if that's even how it works.

Neoxon

Got to produce what sales, that is Spiderman and the Avengers.

I want a 70s Junkie Walking-Talking Xavier and 70s Swinger Wolverine figures like everyone else. But them the breaks.
That still doesn't explain the lack of an X-Men cartoon or their removal from games. Marvel even outright lied by saying Fox has the animated rights to the X-Men when evidence proved that's not the case (& that it contradicted statements by other Marvel reps).

Gartooth

Look up Disney Infinity 2.0 & Marvel Mighty Heroes, they don't care. Marvel's been short-changing anything Fox has the movie rights to outside of the comics, trying to force them into obscurity.

And let's be honest, the FGC would buy the game regardless & have other MCU characters fill the void left by the cut mutants & F4 characters.

Disney Infinity? The game that is a blatant advertisement for movies, and TV shows that can include Lone Ranger characters but not Goofy or Minnie? Marvel ain't promoting X-Men movies which we can both agree on, plus the fact that they need to sell toys of the characters and thus would split profits with Fox is why the characters aren't in that game. Marvel vs. Capcom is a completely different situation, and a more apt comparison would be the recent Lego Marvel Superheroes or Marvel Heroes.

Also those characters definitely do matter to the long term appeal of MvC, it is why Capcom fought for Sentinel that would otherwise be a nobody.

Neoxon

Disney Infinity? The game that is a blatant advertisement for movies, and TV shows that can include Lone Ranger characters but not Goofy or Minnie? Marvel ain't promoting X-Men movies which we can both agree on, plus the fact that they need to sell toys of the characters and thus would split profits with Fox is why the characters aren't in that game. Marvel vs. Capcom is a completely different situation, and a more apt comparison would be the recent Lego Marvel Superheroes or Marvel Heroes.

Also those characters definitely do matter to the long term appeal of MvC, it is why Capcom fought for Sentinel that would otherwise be a nobody.
Fun Fact: Fox only gets merchandising money if the X-Men merchandise is based on their movie versions. If it's based on the comics, Fox doesn't see a dime.

Anyway, there's a bunch of other games that lack the X-Men & Fantastic Four. And even Lego Marvel's sequel is being restricted to MCU characters up to at least Phase 2. In my easier statement I mentioned that we'd probably get Wolverine & Deadpool if we're lucky, just not anyone beyond those two.

Gartooth

Fun Fact: Fox only gets merchandising money if the X-Men merchandise is based on their movie versions. If it's based on the comics, Fox doesn't see a dime.

Yet as I've noted before, DI is primarily focused on TV and movie incarnations of Marvel characters hence Fox X-Men being unappealing. It doesn't have a strong Marvel comics connection like some of the other games I've mentioned.

Anyway, there's a bunch of other games that lack the X-Men & Fantastic Four. And even Lego Marvel's sequel is being restricted to MCU characters up to at least Phase 2. In my easier statement I mentioned that we'd probably get Wolverine & Deadpool if we're lucky, just not anyone beyond those two.

Do you have a source that there won't be non-MCU Avengers in this?

Neoxon

Yet as I've noted before, DI is primarily focused on TV and movie incarnations of Marvel characters hence Fox X-Men being unappealing. It doesn't have a strong Marvel comics connection like some of the other games I've mentioned.

Do you have a source that there won't be non-MCU Avengers in this?
Here you go. Note that it specifically states characters from the movies while the Lego Marvel initial statement was more broad.

Gartooth

Here you go. Note that it specifically states characters from the movies while the Lego Marvel initial statement was more broad.

...featuring characters and storylines from the blockbuster film Marvel’s The Avengers and the much anticipated sequel Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, and more.

This right here is ambiguous. It does not imply that we are getting movie Guardians or Ant-Man, neither does it deconfirm non-MCU characters.

Neoxon

This is likely the main story mode. You playing as 10 characters though out the game.
That would basically leave Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Phil Coulson, Maria Hill, War Machine, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, & Vision for the main story across both films (this is assuming that villains won't be playable at any point in the story). At most, we'll probably get unlockables of other heroes up to the end of Phase 2 (Guardians, Ant-Man, Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil, etc.), maybe a hint of Phase 3 if we're lucky (Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Bolt, Medusa, etc.).

This right here is ambiguous. It does not imply that we are getting movie Guardians or Ant-Man, neither does it deconfirm non-MCU characters.
But the wording of the rest of the press release shows that it's MCU-centric.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That still doesn't explain the lack of an X-Men cartoon or their removal from games. Marvel even outright lied by saying Fox has the animated rights to the X-Men when evidence proved that's not the case (& that it contradicted statements by other Marvel reps).

what removal from games? they just added Iceman to Marvel Heroes like a month ago.

Avengers gets the focus now for the same reason that X-Men got the focus in the 90s. They are simply more popular than the X-Men right now.

I feel bad for people who like Spider Gwen because she will ultimately be done away with in the next year like they did with Brother Voodoo Sorcerer Supreme, Captain America Bucky, Eric Masters Thor/Thunderstrike, Alt Universe Teen Tony Stark, and many other attempts to rebrand existing heroes with different characters just to be killed off. The same thing will happen to Falcon Captain America, but he will most likely just go back to being Falcon.

I don't think this character will be around long enough to capitalize on a game. Maybe if we were in the SNES era, where comic event games like Maximum Carnage and Death of Superman could easily be pumped out fast enough to be relevant, but not now with years long development.

I remember when X-Men comics were all abuzz with Hope Summers restoring mutants but a few years later she's busy being in a coma in one of the least popular X-books

Gartooth

But the wording of the rest of the press release shows that it's MCU-centric.

No it doesn't. It mentions the two Avengers movies and nothing else aside from the tag "and more". Your claims that it is an MCU Lego game with no comic characters is unsubstantiated until we know more about the game.

Neoxon

what removal from games? they just added Iceman to Marvel Heroes like a month ago.

Avengers gets the focus now for the same reason that X-Men got the focus in the 90s. They are simply more popular than the X-Men right now.
- Disney Infinity 2.0
- Marvel Mighty Heroes
- Marvel Future Fight

Those are just off the top of my head.

No it doesn't. It mentions the two Avengers movies and nothing else aside from the tag "and more". Your claims that it is an MCU Lego game with no comic characters is unsubstantiated until we know more about the game.
Then wouldn't more non-MCU characters be even mentioned prior like they were for Lego Marvel? I'd love for more non-MCU characters in the game, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Roto13

I feel bad for people who like Spider Gwen because she will ultimately be done away with in the next year like they did with Brother Voodoo Sorcerer Supreme, Captain America Bucky, Eric Masters Thor/Thunderstrike, Alt Universe Teen Tony Stark, and many other attempts to rebrand existing heroes with different characters just to be killed off. The same thing will happen to Falcon Captain America, but he will most likely just go back to being Falcon.

Spider-Gwen isn't meant to be the new Spider-Man.

Neoxon

I don't think this character will be around long enough to capitalize on a game. Maybe if we were in the SNES era, where comic event games like Maximum Carnage and Death of Superman could easily be pumped out fast enough to be relevant, but not now with years long development.

I remember when X-Men comics were all abuzz with Hope Summers restoring mutants but a few years later she's busy being in a coma in one of the least popular X-books
Even after Secret Wars they'll be sticking with Captain Falcon & Lady Thor. And given the talent behind both of their books, they aren't going anywhere for a while.

As for Spider-Gwen, she's just an alternate universe Spider-Woman. If she lasts depends on her long-term sales.

Karkador

Banned
The Capcom Marvel fighters + the X-Men Arcade game have shown that the ball was in Marvel's court from the start.

Ask this question again when the Arkham games still hold up 20 years later. Personally, I'm already done with them.

Az987

all good things
Eh, probably not. Disney doesn't seem to care that much about games as of late.

I'm sure they could've gotten a great Marvel Game out of one of the few studios they owned and shut down.

I'm pretty sure Rocksteady is owned by Time Warner so why would they ever be allowed to make a Marvel game? Let's make a great product for our #1 competition in super hero stuff.

Roto13

Eh, probably not. Disney doesn't seem to care that much about games as of late.

I'm sure they could've gotten a great Marvel Game out of one of the few studios they owned and shut down.

I'm pretty sure Rocksteady is owned by Time Warner so why would they ever be allowed to make a Marvel game? Let's make a great product for our #1 competition in super hero stuff.

https://youtu.be/InGUkuCighk?t=30

Top Bottom