• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Marvel games with the quality of the Arkham games ?

Neoxon

Let's just agree that the Arkham games & the MvC games are like apples & oranges. Both are great, but can't be compared directly & are pleasing to different groups of people (while the fanbases for both do overlap a good bit).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's just agree that the Arkham games & the MvC games are like apples & oranges. Both are great, but can't be compared directly & are pleasing to different groups of people (while the fanbases for both do overlap a good bit).
we have to agree on facts now huh

daftstar

Will we ever see a DC game as good as Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Ultimate vs Capcom 3 should be the question.

Nope

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Metacritic score: 80
User score: 61

Marvel vs Capcom 2
Metacritic score: 90
User score: 89

Batman Arkham City
Metacritic score: 96
User score: 86

I think that question was answered in 2011 brah.

I think DC has an advantage with being owned by a company invested in the video game space. Until Disney decides they want a bigger piece of that pie, I would not bet on it.

Pretty much. Warner Bros are a competent publisher, whereas Disney's aims for the video game market changes from one week to the next.

Jtrizzy

I'm sure it's not easy to make a 3rd person game with powers like Iron Man or anyone who can fly basically. I'd like to see a console version of Marvel Heroes (300 + hours) that is akin to Diablo 3 in that it's more of a small group, in and out co op experience.

ninjabat

A Marvel v Capcom game made right now would suck since it would likely have no x-men. So they should rather focus on open world AAA games.

Neoxon

A Marvel v Capcom game made right now would suck since it would likely have no x-men. So they should rather focus on open world AAA games.
I'm pretty sure Capcom would fight for Wolverine & Deadpool like they did for Sentinel & Shuma in MvC3, but yeah, the X-Men representation would be lacking in a possible MvC4 made right now.

Of course, Fox is on top of their game right now with the X-Men films with little sign of slowing down, likely to prepare for the departure of Hugh Jackman. As such we have little reason to believe that they'll make a deal with Marvel anytime soon, so the dick-fighting contest will likely be a regular thing for years to come.

They did tease a suicide squad game, do you guys think that will come with the movie and is made by splash damage, who developed Arkham Origins ?

Also, will rocksteady continue to make Batman games after Arkham Knight, will they make a new super hero game or something completely new ?

Edit: and it's really funny how Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man and Activision the game-rights.

They did tease a suicide squad game, do you guys think that will come with the movie and is made by splash damage, who developed Arkham Origins ?

Also, will rocksteady continue to make Batman games after Arkham Knight, will they make a new super hero game or something completely new ?

Edit: and it's really funny how Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man and Activision the game-rights.

Splash Damage only did the multiplayer.

The single player was developed by Warner Bros. Montreal.

I think a lot of superheroes just don't work for video games.

Batman and Spiderman work because they allow themselves to have interesting game mechanics. Their style has a lot of variety and creativity in their moves/gadgets.

Iron Man would just be like a Gundam game or Armored Core because he's just a brute force shooter in his style.

Captain America is too simple because he's a great melee fighter and only uses his shield, which doesn't lend itself to variety because he's excels at leadership and tactics than building. Thor and Hulk are just as simple too.

The only heroes I can think could make a great video game is... Hawkeye and Black Widow lol.

From what I heard, the Cap America game from a few years back was pretty decent. I'm not sure why you couldnt make a decent brawler game with the character, as a fighting expert its a matter of giving him varied attacks, no? Hulk ultimate destruction proved that you can make a game with that character work,pity we havent gotten a true sequel to it yet.

Superman Returns was boring as hell, but they got the feeling of flight down and the idea of the city having a lifebar instead of Supes( being near invulnerable and all) was an interesting mechanic that just wasnt handled well.

I always thought there's potential for a very stylistic and clever way of making a Daredevil game using blindness as an actual mechanic in the design. Most likely only an indie would risk it though and sadly they'd never get the license.

Anung

Un Rama
Daredevil's blind. Without finding a way to factor how he's blind in, he'd just be a copy of a Batman.

Going to sound weird but I felt like Dying Light was exactly how I'd want a Daredevil game to play. Fast rooftop based parkour with a grappling hook. Swap out the regular graphics for a echolocation graphical style and zombie for gangsters and I'd be happy enough.

Something like this.

lurking.gif

Could tie it into combat timing quite well with the radar pulsating out before enemies attack.

I've put way too much thought into an imaginary daredevil game.

Tournaments will be hosting UMvC long after Arkham Knight is forgotten brah.

If we want to go with this wierd logic I guess DC Universe Online has been played the longest and by the most people over time.

God that game is so forgettable. I wish SOE didn't make it. Even Turbine would have done a better job.

Renekton

If we want to go with this wierd logic I guess DC Universe Online has been played the longest and by the most people over time.
Lol there's tournaments for Call of Duty too..
UMvC is a top two fixture in EVO which is only the world's #1 premier tournament for fighting games. Balancing a competitve game with this huge permutation of teams and assist (team of 3 out of 50 possible characters) is a crazy difficult task, so the end result has to have an exacting amount of quality control and refinement. I wouldn't be surprised to see pareto and fishbones all over the workplace.

Tournaments will be hosting UMvC long after Arkham Knight is forgotten brah.

You can replace Arkham in this statement with any number of contained, single player experiences, and basically the determining factor of superiority comes down to Ultimate MvC still being played years later in tournaments. Or is there another way to interpret the above comment?

I'd like to see a Daredevil game. I'm busy watching the series at the moment and it's very violent, dark and gritty and has some of the best fight scenes in an adaptation. I'm interested to see a game in such a dark, violent/gritty aesthetic and see what cool game mechanics can be done with the fact that he is blind and uses his senses that become powerful in his fights.

TimFL

Alright Sony make the best of this Battlefront partnership and go for Spider-Man.

Edit: And then I realize that Sony already has Spider-Man, and remember that Disney doesn't own jack.

Sony Pictures has the Spidey movie rights. Sony Pictures != Sony Computer Entertainment, they are separate.

The rights for making games for the Spidey flicks are with Activision at the moment, the real, proper Spidey game rights (for everything non-movie) returned to Marvel 2 years ago.

Gartooth

What the heck at the stupid comparison between Arkham and MvC in here. Metascores are a terrible metric for competitive fighters and so is judging a single player action adventure by its tournament scene.

I'm pretty sure Capcom would fight for Wolverine & Deadpool like they did for Sentinel & Shuma in MvC3, but yeah, the X-Men representation would be lacking in a possible MvC4 made right now.

Of course, Fox is on top of their game right now with the X-Men films with little sign of slowing down, likely to prepare for the departure of Hugh Jackman. As such we have little reason to believe that they'll make a deal with Marvel anytime soon, so the dick-fighting contest will likely be a regular thing for years to come.

lol come on. Purging the roster of the X-Men and Doom is removing a ton of the most popular Mahvel characters from the series and would hurt MvC4s appeal with one of the game's main demographics. SMH at equating Wolverine and Deadpool with Shuma and Sentinel.

Frog-fu

Banned
Spiderman, Daredevil, Blade and Punisher are the most suitable on the top of my head for a game like the Arkham series. I doubt Marvel would be interested in investing much dough in a game for the latter three though.

Then again, a Deadpool got made somehow, so I guess it's possible.

Neoxon

lol come on. Purging the roster of the X-Men and Doom is removing a ton of the most popular Mahvel characters from the series and would hurt MvC4s appeal with one of the game's main demographics. SMH at equating Wolverine and Deadpool with Shuma and Sentinel.
Look up Disney Infinity 2.0 & Marvel Mighty Heroes, they don't care. Marvel's been short-changing anything Fox has the movie rights to outside of the comics, trying to force them into obscurity.

And let's be honest, the FGC would buy the game regardless & have other MCU characters fill the void left by the cut mutants & F4 characters.

People have been clamoring for Marvel vs DC for years, but such a title would likely be doomed to licensing hell for all eternity.

I'm interested in how that works. DC side I think they own everything, but Marvel side I'm curious if fox owns the right to videogames on movie likeness or all likeness and other things like that (reminds me of how EA could make LOTR games based on the movies but not the books). I don't think it would be that hard to license on marvel's part, Ultimate Alliance happened with all their characters. The second issue would be co financing the game and who would develop it. I'm assuming netherealm would most likely handle it. I'm extremely doubtful WB would reach out to Capcom when they have NRS.

Personally I think a Thor game based off the comics is what I'd like to see the most from marvel. A good Hulk or Iron Man game would be acceptable as well. More likely we'll get Spiderman (again) before any other heroes

Slayven

Look up Disney Infinity 2.0 & Marvel Mighty Heroes, they don't care. Marvel's been short-changing anything Fox has the movie rights to outside of the comics, trying to force them into obscurity.

And let's be honest, the FGC would buy the game regardless & have other MCU characters fill the void left by the cut mutants & F4 characters.

Can i borrow some of that tinfoil from your hat?

ElRenoRaven

I really wish Disney would get wise and actually work on making some great AAA Marvel games. I'd kill for a AAA Iron Man game. I'd kill for Spider-Man to get some proper games again. Last truly great Marvel games were Ultimate Alliance 1&2 and Marvel Heroes on the PC is pretty damn good too.

Other then those they've just let so much potential go to waste.

Lasty95

Given that games in general have rarely come close to the sort of quality that RS have achieved, I'm going to say no.

I did live Spidey 2. They totally nailed the swinging, but the game around it was a mess.

Neoxon

Can i borrow some of that tinfoil from your hat?
At the very least the X-Men are still doing fine in the comics & are getting a good bit of love (& while the F4's comic got cancelled, they're still major players in Secret Wars, plus there's Johnny's upcoming inclusion in Uncanny Inhumans), but merchandise & game appearances for the X-Men has slowed to a crawl & F4 merchandise were outright banned by Marvel.

shaowebb

Still waiting for Marvel vs DC smash clone. Would be so good.

Honestly this is the most approachable way to do this crossover since its the only high level fighting game setup that I see that is both approachable to casuals as well as tourney folk and fun at all levels. Plus it would allow for the fastest and easiest way to create a large roster, and it lends itself well to NFC devices if they wish to make a very expandable and profitable roster in that manner. Add in an action platformer single player mode and you can use a mario maker style stage builder and have parts coupled with characte NFC devices that you sell akin to Disney Infinity to entice sells and longevity via user created content supporting its own market interest.

Plus it'd have one helluva great way to provide nods to both universes since items, and assist trophy stuff could be filled with all the little touches that help make the worlds of both Marvel and DC so iconic. Cosmic cubes, infinity gauntlets, motherboxes, and lazarus pits could all be things that you get as assist items that'd help excite fans of both. Plus the amount of sticker's collectible would drive people nuts. Just take PNG scans of comics and make them stickers to collect...hell take a few digital comics and have them as unlocks for beating arcade ladders with a character that way you would introduce players to comics they otherwise may never know of. This would help increase sells in various franchise comics.

The tourney fan in my would want a MVC style thing, but overall I think a Smash style Marvel vs DC would be the overall best way to go and it would likely still appeal to my love of tourney stuff so long as it has decent landing lag canceling mechanics available to folks and good ground speed.

daftstar

UMvC is a top two fixture in EVO which is only the world's #1 premier tournament for fighting games. Balancing a competitve game with this huge permutation of teams and assist (team of 3 out of 50 possible characters) is a crazy difficult task, so the end result has to have an exacting amount of quality control and refinement. I wouldn't be surprised to see pareto and fishbones all over the workplace.

That's cool and all but I'm not clear on what you're trying to say. If you're saying that MvC gameplay mechanics are top notch I get that. But they're two different genres so you can't directly compare the two. Or are you judging how good a game is based on longevity and player base? Cause that's even worse.

Jesus Christ

Care to elaborate?

I'm interested in how that works. DC side I think they own everything, but Marvel side I'm curious if fox owns the right to videogames on movie likeness or all likeness and other things like that (reminds me of how EA could make LOTR games based on the movies but not the books). I don't think it would be that hard to license on marvel's part, Ultimate Alliance happened with all their characters. The second issue would be co financing the game and who would develop it. I'm assuming netherealm would most likely handle it. I'm extremely doubtful WB would reach out to Capcom when they have NRS.

Personally I think a Thor game based off the comics is what I'd like to see the most from marvel. A good Hulk or Iron Man game would be acceptable as well. More likely we'll get Spiderman (again) before any other heroes

Fox owns the movie rights to Xmen, and did for Fantastic four as well I think( which I think has come back to Marvel). Activision produced titles like Spiderman( the movie rights were/are owned by Sony?) and the Ultimate Alliance series. Seriously the various Marvel properties are all over the place, so a lot of the issues would be on their end. As you said, DC is much more straightforward....

Neoxon

Fox owns the movie rights to Xmen, and did for Fantastic four as well I think( which I think has come back to Marvel). Activision produced titles like Spiderman( the movie rights were/are owned by Sony?) and the Ultimate Alliance series. Seriously the various Marvel properties are all over the place, so a lot of the issues would be on their end. As you said, DC is much more straightforward....
Fox does still have the movie rights to the Fantastic Four, that reboot coming in August isn't by Marvel Studios & is not set in the MCU.

Fox does still have the movie rights to the Fantastic Four, that reboot coming in August isn't by Marvel Studios & is not set in the MCU.

Cool thanks for the correction, I thought( without doing the research) that the reboot was because Marvel got their hands on the movie rights.

Top Bottom