• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see Marvel games with the quality of the Arkham games ?

Springy

I get the feeling that Beenox could turn out a great Spider-Man game if Activision gave them a fucking break and a decent development cycle.

Gartooth

I get the feeling that Beenox could turn out a great Spider-Man game if Activision gave them a fucking break and a decent development cycle.

The publisher that knowingly wanted the Deadpool team to make a shit game should absolutely not be put in charge of the Marvel games especially if it is a wholesale deal like Star Wars.

I think Beenox and High Moon did try to do good by the properties though.

mreddie

The Activison and Sega games were either ok to FUCK NO.

Think the only ones that were handled with care were Shattered Dimensions and Deadpool despite how low budget it felt.

I did not know Traveler Tales were owned by Times Warner, I should pay more attention to that, thank you for the pointing it out @ThoseDeafMutes. Despite that, I doubt Rocksteady would ever be allowed to make a big budget Marvel title when the resources could be spent on creating more top quality DC content.

Best wishes.

SimonM7

I skimmed the thread and sorry if this has been mentioned already, but:

Disney/Marvel mopped up all their game licenses over the course of recent years and have commented that they want the right team to make the right game. The way they've cherry picked people to make Star Wars games is going to happen with Marvel games as well. It's just a matter of time before we're seeing the results of that, but it could be a while.

Karak

I skimmed the thread and sorry if this has been mentioned already, but:

Disney/Marvel mopped up all their game licenses over the course of recent years and have commented that they want the right team to make the right game. The way they've cherry picked people to make Star Wars games is going to happen with Marvel games as well. It's just a matter of time before we're seeing the results of that, but it could be a while.

Ya I mentioned it a long time ago but it was the same hogwash statement many companies make when they don't turn an IP into another form of media, or when they are happy with whatever money is coming in from what they are already doing, which is somewhat what everyone is already talking about.

Anung

Un Rama
The publisher that knowingly wanted the Deadpool team to make a shit game should absolutely not be put in charge of the Marvel games especially if it is a wholesale deal like Star Wars.

I think Beenox and High Moon did try to do good by the properties though.

Wait, seriously? Why would they want it to fail?

High Moon seemed like the perfect choice for adaptations after how well they captured the spirit of Transformers.

Zissou

My favorite 'feel like a superhero game' is still Crackdown. I played and finished Arkham Asylum and didn't like it enough to really look into the sequels.

Gartooth

Wait, seriously? Why would they want it to fail?

High Moon seemed like the perfect choice for adaptations after how well they captured the spirit of Transformers.

I guess I shouldn't say that they wanted it to be a bad game, but Activision wanted it rushed out the door and didn't care about the end product after multiple time and budget cuts. Here's the gaf thread on it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Disney seems content to work mostly outside of the AAA space. So many Marvel mobile and f2p games. I know a guy who's poor af but managed to spend 10k on Marvel: Avengers Alliance.

That man is not poor.

At least, he wasn't before Marvel: AA

Renekton

Pretty sure Marvel vs Capcom 3 is far higher quality than any Arkham game.

MvC3 will be a global tournament staple for years to come.

Gartooth

Ultimate Marvel being rushed was a tragedy, it could've been an even better expansion. Still love the game though even if Capcom killed support for it too early. :/

SimonM7

Ya I mentioned it a long time ago but it was the same hogwash statement many companies make when they don't turn an IP into another form of media, or when they are happy with whatever money is coming in from what they are already doing, which is somewhat what everyone is already talking about.

I can't imagine they were losing money on Acti, Sega and Capcom churning out Marvel games, though. Consolidating everything seemed like a move to me, not inaction.

Gartooth

I sure as hell hope so lol. Would love to play something like the arkam series in a marvel world.

I think a more focused game like the first Arkham Asylum would be pretty great if paired with an appropriate Marvel franchise, although it probably isn't as popular an opinion since I imagine a lot of people want an open world game.

We already got Deadpool recently, which was just as good as the Arkham games, even if the combat was way too complicated by comparison.

In other words I don't see the Batman games as anything particularly special to aspire to be.

What a stupid thing to say. They're completely different kinds of games. You can't say a multiplayer focused game is better than a single player focused game just because people will play the multiplayer game longer. That's a given. That's just the multiplayer game doing its job.

As far as single player games go, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two of the best of the last generation. You really can't directly compare them to MvC3. It's just a matter of whether you prefer single player action-adventure games or multiplayer fighting games.

Renekton

What a stupid thing to say. They're completely different kinds of games. You can't say a multiplayer focused game is better than a single player focused game just because people will play the multiplayer game longer. That's a given. That's just the multiplayer game doing its job.

As far as single player games go, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two of the best of the last generation. You really can't directly compare them to MvC3. It's just a matter of whether you prefer single player action-adventure games or multiplayer fighting games.
Well OP said quality level and not genre. Otherwise, you are conveniently restricting all comparisons to only 3D detective adventure, if so go ahead and correct all the posters in this thread.

For a fighting game, if the mechanics aren't carefully balanced, gamers drop it like a rock and there is zero multiplayer longevity, shorter than even Arkham game SP playthrough. See Smash Brawl.

UMvC is very well-designed game, doesn't insult the player with press-triangle-to-auto-dodge crap, and easily surpasses the quality of the Arkham series.

Neoxon

To be fair, comparing both games is like comparing apples to oranges.

Neoxon

I just want an X-Men Legends 3

like, possibly right now
Even if Activision's Marvel license wasn't terminated, we're never gonna get another X-Men-centric game for the foreseeable future. It's either gonna be Avengers, MCU, or all of Marvel.

RE_Player

Not until Disney has top quality internal studios.

The reason the Arkham games, as well as Injustice, are of high quality and such a priority for Warner Bros is they own the IP. They have a vested interest in maintaining a quality brand. Why in the world would a company like Activision devote resources, time and money into establishing a game of the quality of the Arkham series for Marvel when they won't have the license in the end?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Me thinks that Disney sees the video game market as...well, not very profitable. Very limited avenues to pull money from. This is why they went the infinity route. Make money off the game, the discs, the toys, etc. The business model of video games don't seem to entice them very much because there are only so many ways to make money from it. That's why you see Disney only really focusing on the profitable areas. Toys to life, accessories (FROZEN EVERYTHING), etc. Outside of that? Cheap ports or F2P games with purchase models.

AAA gaming is very limited in their eyes. They are right in a way.

Neoxon

that's terrible to hear :(
Long story short, Marvel's having a dick-fighting contest with Fox & are screwing over the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in everything outside of the comics. There are even recent Marvel games that leave out Wolverine.

Roto13

So you've played nothing but the demo of Arkham Asylum and have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Cool.

Or maybe he's like me and has an informed opinion. I finished Asylum and City and got a couple of hours into Origins before not being able to tolerate the shitty combat any more.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a much, much better fighting game than Arkham is an action adventure game. It's not even close.

I think a lot of superheroes just don't work for video games.

Batman and Spiderman work because they allow themselves to have interesting game mechanics. Their style has a lot of variety and creativity in their moves/gadgets.

Iron Man would just be like a Gundam game or Armored Core because he's just a brute force shooter in his style.

Captain America is too simple because he's a great melee fighter and only uses his shield, which doesn't lend itself to variety because he's excels at leadership and tactics than building. Thor and Hulk are just as simple too.

The only heroes I can think could make a great video game is... Hawkeye and Black Widow lol.

Well, they need to focus on a Superhero with no superhuman abilities to make it as good as Arkham games. Batman works for Rocksteady because it is grounded to Batman's reality that he just don't use lasers and super speed to overpower enemies.

So, a Daredevil game made by Rocksteady could work for Marvel.

Daredevil's blind. Without finding a way to factor how he's blind in, he'd just be a copy of a Batman.

Zissou

So you've played nothing but the demo of Arkham Asylum and have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Cool.

The combat is very basic though. I played the game on the default difficulty and any melee encounter boiled down to "mash attack until a dude is about to hit me, press dodge button and resume mashing." The stealth aspects, atmosphere, etc. were why I kept at it- the game was enjoyable despite of the combat, not because of it.

I mean, yea the Batman games require some semblance of timing for the combat at a basic level but they aren't particularly deep.

I've played all the Batman games and I'd agree with his assessment fully. And I find the combat satisfying too.

I liked ultimate spiderman.

But yeah they should find a good partner for their games. I'm cynical they'll try to acquire and build up their own gaming division because they tried that once and it didn't go so hot with Epic Mickey.

Wish anyone would make a turn based super hero rpg. Even something like Freedom Force would be good.

Comparing Arkham to UMVC3 is pointless. I could say Arkham's combat isn't as deep as UMVC3. I could also say that UMVC's story is shit and I don't feel like I'm being drawn into marvel's world when I play the game.

Cannot wait for Suicide Squad, Injustice 2 and the inevitable Justice League or Superman rocksteady game.

Spinluck

Eh.

Nah.

daftstar

Or maybe he's like me and has an informed opinion. I finished Asylum and City and got a couple of hours into Origins before not being able to tolerate the shitty combat any more.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a much, much better fighting game than Arkham is an action adventure game. It's not even close.

The hell? That statement makes no sense. They both have completely different standards to judge them on...

As for the "shitty combat", I've yet to hear a proper alternative that would work where:
- You fight multiple foes at once
- Hand-to-hand combat
- You're Batman

The free-flow system is perfect for how Batman would handle thugs. It's accessible (which is good since you're playing as Batman) but as deep as the player wants. Yea you could cheese you're way through a fight but there's so much more at your disposal. Special takedowns, aerial slams, batclaw slams, stuns, seamless gadgets, disarm takedowns, beatdowns, etc. combined with a variety of enemies that require different approaches (shield, stun rod, knife, armored, gun-toting goons). Not to mention a whole other predator mechanic.

I see people all the time fault the game for things they themselves don't take advantage of.. You gotta watch some of the challenge room footage on YT to appreciate it really.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGR4juLR2U Watch that and tell me it's brain-dead "press triangle to win"

Top Bottom