• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Microsoft and Xbox announced 'Marvel's Blade' at The Game Awards — but could it also be coming to PlayStation?

//DEVIL//

They might be still in negotiations with Marvel/Disney re this. Game is probably 2-3 years away.

edit. We know it will be on Xbox, gamepass, pc, steam that’s the minimum that we can be sure of.
They wouldn't show it if they were still in negotiation. Because that would put them in disadvantage when marvel sees the reaction and they will have the upper hand in negotiation.
Also I don't think it's even legal to show it if it's not done deal in terms of license and negotiation.

And this is a preplanned project since ar least 1 year if not more and they know exactly what development system it's on.

Its just MS being stupid MS.
In truth though I think they just want to maintain the image of nice MS and pro all consoles and systems because
1- still the FTC side battle
2- same as Indiana Jones they wanna leave it as a different date announcement

Last edited:

NeroDaGod

Genuinely surprised an IP like Blade is getting this much clout. Expecting the game to turn out mid but I’m hoping to be proven wrong.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Would this thread be a thing if this game was made by Insomniac? Come on, people. Arkane is a Microsoft studio. Just accept that and move on. Playstation gets a Wolverine game.
Windows central thinks otherwise. What make this really funny to me is that someone said the same thing in the thread about this game reveal and nobody really noticed. But then we got another thread just for that. It should be really simple, as you have said. But it isn't. It should be really simple for Xbox to fix this, but they have yet to do so. How can someone go from having a exclusive interview with the CEO of Xbox to having Xbox not being able to say something as easy as if their game is exclusive or not? This is the problem, not the game itself. Better get a laugh about it, because I prefer having people being silly with this game going to PS than Xbox embarrasing themselves if somehow the game get multiplat.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They wouldn't show it if they were still in negotiation. Because that would put them in disadvantage when marvel sees the reaction and they will have the upper hand in negotiation.
Also I don't think it's even legal to show it if it's not done deal in terms of license and negotiation.

And this is a preplanned project since ar least 1 year if not more and they know exactly what development system it's on.

Its just MS being stupid MS.
In truth though I think they just want to maintain the image of nice MS and pro all consoles and systems because
1- still the FTC side battle
2- same as Indiana Jones they wanna leave it as a different date announcement

How does acting like it's not an exclusive help it with the FTC? They showed games last night that were exclusives (Hellblade 2), so why would it "look" bad if Blade was exclusive too?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's because they didn't list platforms at all. Sony always does so.

Compare the trailer for Kojima's new game which had Xbox, Xbox Game Studios and Microsoft logo's front and back and is listed on the Xbox Youtube channel. This trailer had the Marvel, Bethesda and Arkane logos but nothing related to Xbox or MS. It also can't be found on the official Xbox channel. That's odd for what should be a big new Xbox/Gamepass exclusive game competing with Spider-Man and Wolverine.

soulbait

Who cares at this point? The game is a couple years away. Why focus on what platform it is going to be on or not. We do know it will be on Xbox. Which also means it will more than likely also be on PC.

When I watched it, I thought to myself, "This is probably going to PlayStation as well." If it does, that is a win a for the PlayStation only people, giving them access to more games. If not, it will be an exclusive for Xbox peeps and good for them; that is what more studios get you.

At this point though, it does not matter. Why get into such a tizzy over a single trailer for a game so far out?

Stafford

As a gamer who prefers Xbox I honestly just don't care. It's come to a point where it just doesn't matter at all for me. It comes to my platform of choice, and even if for some reason it's not coming to GP, it's fine, I'll buy it.

It's definitely odd that Xbox wasn't even mentioned though.

Hudo

Who cares at this point? The game is a couple years away. Why focus on what platform it is going to be on or not. We do know it will be on Xbox. Which also means it will more than likely also be on PC.

When I watched it, I thought to myself, "This is probably going to PlayStation as well." If it does, that is a win a for the PlayStation only people, giving them access to more games. If not, it will be an exclusive for Xbox peeps and good for them; that is what more studios get you.

At this point though, it does not matter. Why get into such a tizzy over a single trailer for a game so far out?
This.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This will come to PS5 , Disney and Sony have a very strong relationship. But mostly it makes business sense and Phil Spencer made comments what like 2 weeks ago that they will be making games available on all platforms. They’d love to have game pass on PS5 it’s only Sony stopping it. So this will come to Sony machines.

Charlie Brown Football GIF

Ah yes, “but Phil said”.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No it wouldn't because Sony would shout it from the rooftops that it's an exclusive.
You mean as opposed to "WORLD PREMIERE""EXCLUSIVE"and the famous "LAUCHING EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX"?
And let's not forget the interdiction to announce other platforms before a certain time period that is exclusive to Xbox.

You mean as opposed to "WORLD PREMIERE""EXCLUSIVE"and the famous "LAUCHING EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX"?
And let's not forget the interdiction to announce other platforms before a certain time period that is exclusive to Xbox.
Relax. My point is that Sony is clear about these things when it comes to first party.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yes. There was plenty of speculation of whether Spider-man would be a timed PlayStation exclusive or not back when it was announced.

Avengers Spiderman, sure.

Who thought a first party developed Spiderman wasn’t going to be exclusive to PlayStation?

soulbait

For those asking how it would benefit MS for it to be multiplatform: it adds more value to GamePass, if you have to buy the game somewhere else on launch day.

Everyone thinks MS is concerned with console sales. Even Phil said they cannot beat console sales at this point. And as digital libraries move, this is going to become harder and harder. What MS is concerned about is GamePass subscriptions. These can be through Xbox consoles (remember you can play XSX games on Xbox One via xCloud), PC, mobile, or even TVs (Samsung has started this), they do not care what the consumer is using.

Margins on consoles have always been small. Profits have been in accessories and games. MS has shifted and want that money through subscription. That is their number one focus. Not console sales. Not game sales. But subscription numbers.

Making a hit game that is available at no additional cost versus a $70 cost adds value for the subscription. But also, the games that sales for $70 on the other ecosystems is still money for them as well. It makes sense to do this for some games, and it makes the most sense for a licensed game like this.

I personally do not care. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford all current consoles and could build a kick ass gaming PC if I wanted (I am just not a fan of PC gaming). So I do not care about these business decisions, because they do not impact me in anyway, and I can play the games that I want to.

But for those who do care so much about what these businesses are doing (either due to fandom/allegiance or stock investments) you can at least see why the possibility of some games going multiplatform can make sense for MS.

Sony on the other hand? Their numbers and lead make it not as a big deal to them, especially because their main driver is console sales. When you lead so much, you don't need to look for other avenues like MS. Which is why they are fine with delaying PC releases as well. More profit on the backend of the hype of a game release.

mckmas8808

Compare the trailer for Kojima's new game which had Xbox, Xbox Game Studios and Microsoft logo's front and back and is listed on the Xbox Youtube channel. This trailer had the Marvel, Bethesda and Arkane logos but nothing related to Xbox or MS. It also can't be found on the official Xbox channel. That's odd for what should be a big new Xbox/Gamepass exclusive game competing with Spider-Man and Wolverine.

See! And that's why we are all confused. It's not some conspiracy as to why people are wondering.

//DEVIL//

How does acting like it's not an exclusive help it with the FTC? They showed games last night that were exclusives (Hellblade 2), so why would it "look" bad if Blade was exclusive too?
Hellblade 2 was before the FTC thing. Blade 2 is a new game the FTC can use against them in the sense " look, MS said they like their games on all platforms but in reality it's a lie and here is an example blade is Xbox exclusive"

Of course this is just speculation from my part.

mckmas8808

A tizzy? So it's bad to have conversations now?

Topher

Gold Member
Avengers Spiderman, sure.

Who thought a first party developed Spiderman wasn’t going to be exclusive to PlayStation?

I recall quite a bit of speculation about it because it was damn near unheard of at the time that a licensed property like Spider-man would be exclusive to one platform.

Thirty7ven

Banned
With Bethesda’s no comment it really is hilarious they wouldn’t confirm or deny it because the Xbox brand is that bad right now.

SodaZA

I think its going to be Xbox exclusive
I think the problem is that it wont be day 1 on gamepass

OR its so early in development it wont be launching on any current gen system

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So no point in first party exclusives then. Sony should bring their franchises to Nintendo, right?

Yeah, there is a point to first party exclusives. First and foremost to add value to the platform. A multiplat doesn't necessarily do that for one system over another. But when you are in a situation like Xbox consoles where the platform has a hard time growing past a certain point then the company has to start looking elsewhere in order to stay in business. That's why Xbox games are on Steam day one.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
Wouldn't be surprised if Blade is multiplat but OD seems like an original Xbox joint. PS fanboys gonna go hard on Kojima if it's true.
I have never had an Xbox console. I don't hate on those that do (because that's weird) but the games I have wanted have either been third party or exclusive to Sony (or Nintendo) since the PlayStation came out.

OD is the only game I have *ever* wanted that was on the Xbox and not the PlayStation. Not the only game that I thought looked good, just the only one I really wanted that I'm locked out of playing on the 5 (if it's really good I'll obviously just get it for PC). This game seems very interesting and I hope that it's an absolute banger. And yeah it's 100% not coming to PS unless something about Xbox as a whole drastically changes from now until release.

MacReady13

There is if Marvel expects a certain number of sales and isn't confident in Xbox providing that.
If Marvel are expecting sales then honestly, why release on Xbox in the 1st place? We ALL know Xbox doesn't care about sales. It's all about engagement and subs for game pass. Xbox fanboys don't buy games, hence why most companies release games on Playstation and Switch.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah, there is a point to first party exclusives. First and foremost to add value to the platform. A multiplat doesn't necessarily do that for one system over another. But when you are in a situation like Xbox consoles where the platform has a hard time growing past a certain point then the company has to start looking elsewhere in order to stay in business. That's why Xbox games are on Steam day one.

Console growth is done by having exclusives that drive hardware sales. Microsoft cant sell Xbox to console customers if they’re putting their games on PlayStation.
PC is another story. They’re just looking to sell the game, and Steam is the store to sell on.

Kilau

Yeah, this ain't exactly helping to quash all the "Microsoft going third party" talk. Some here are acting all coy about this, but in reality.....

sweating key and peele GIF

I won't pretend to know what their plans are but an Xbox future that doesn't involve a dedicated console is a possibility imo.

Topher

Gold Member
Console growth is done by having exclusives that drive hardware sales. Microsoft cant sell Xbox to console customers if they’re putting their games on PlayStation.
PC is another story. They’re just looking to sell the game, and Steam is the store to sell on.

I don't think console growth is Microsoft's priority any longer. I think back to Phil Spencer's defeatist rant about losing last gen being the worst gen to lose. And even on PC, Microsoft first tried to sell their games only on their own store. It wasn't until that failed miserably that they announced that all their games going forward would be on Steam. Meanwhile, Sony makes PC gamers wait for their games still and Nintendo ignores other platforms entirely.

Stafford

Apparently Sony hasn't retweeted it in Twitter yet. This sounds similar to how it went with Indiana Jones. To my knowledge they never retweeted that announcement trailer either.

Top Bottom