• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft exploring bringing back catalog to Nintendo and PlayStation

GHG

Gold Member
Call and he shall answer 💪:messenger_face_steam:

I was waiting for the forspoken threshold to be crossed before doing a celebratory bump for rofif rofif .

But fuck it, un update might need to be made earlier than that.

Laugh Plotting GIF by Big Brother

Last edited:
“Console sales don’t matter”

Then why make one then? If it doesn’t matter to them then why should the consumer care?

Tired of this shit now. No way am I buying anymore of their hardware with all this crap.

I don’t know who I dislike more, the management or the people praising them for mediocrity.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For the two fronts in the discussion, it seems tough to come to terms with reason.

One side wants Xbox to keep all of the IP exclusive and see this as mutiny from the greater cause, and the other side wants to make the idea of Microsoft publishing on other platforms to mean that they are not making consoles anymore. Theyre both at the same point on the circle and not seeing the larger picture which is not about Xbox or PlayStation, but how to publish their IP on as many platforms and devices as possible.

As I said yesterday, I'm thrilled if Xbox is porting HFR to Nintendo it belongs there. Both Ori games and Minecraft belong on Nintendo. Nintendo fans aren't arrogant and entitled and don't expect Xbox to put all their 1st party games on Nintendo nor do the aggressively demand they do so. What, I can't stand is how a bunch of people in this thread take an unconfirmed rumor that HFR is going to Nintendo and turn it into to an absolute fact that Xbox is getting out of the console business and going 3rd party.

Not one of those so called journalists delves into why the consoles are not selling as well as the others.

No one wants to publicly call out the root of the problem, that the management haven’t done a good enough job in attracting a larger user base for it.

Are you telling me if Series S/X had much better numbers they wouldn’t be at least self congratulatory

Last edited:

King Dazzar

“Console sales don’t matter”

Then why make one then? If it doesn’t matter to them then why should the consumer care?

Tired of this shit now. No way am I buying anymore of their hardware with all this crap.

I don’t know who I dislike more, the management or the people praising them for mediocrity.
Yep, its a serious consideration now. I dont regret my XSX, but at this point, I sure aint buying any more pro controllers, accessories or anything else digital. Xbox will no doubt keep doing some console stuff for a long time yet, but it just feels like you'd be investing in something very uncertain. How else do Xbox management expect people to read the signs? That's my sensible take on it anyway.

Yep, its a serious consideration now. I dont regret my XSX, but at this point, I sure aint buying any more pro controllers, accessories or anything else digital. Xbox will no doubt keep doing some console stuff for a long time yet, but it just feels like you'd be investing in something very uncertain. How else do Xbox management expect people to read the signs? That's my sensible take on it anyway.

Imo it’s a disappointment. A glorified 1X with quick resume. Given how poor Xbox one went I expected better than this. That’s my fault to be honest, I shouldn’t have any standards for them by now.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You didn't hear me. Xbox would never have even existed if SEGA is still here. You only get to be here because someone else left.

I have no idea why you keep insisting it is normal for a business to hang on by the generosity of the parent company. That is not how you run any kind of business.
That's bullshit. Sega had it's chance and lost it. It is what it is. It's history. Microsoft is Xbox and vice versa. That is what it is, too. Because Xbox utilized the "fabled" warchest from Microsoft isn't some kind of gotcha or some "unfair" play. Who cares if Xbox tapped into Microsoft money to became a player in the game? Makes sense, does it not?

And frankly, we don't know what would be if Sega was still in the game. Microsoft could've made a play to get in the gaming industry regardless. We'll never know.

I say a 1 to 1.5 year delay of new xbox exclusives showing up on the psn store is on the horizon. Gives the xbox hardware a reason to exist while bolstering their 'engagement' metric in the long run because boy does it feel like defcon 1 now.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I say a 1 to 1.5 year delay of new xbox exclusives showing up on the psn store is on the horizon. Gives the xbox hardware a reason to exist while bolstering their 'engagement' metric in the long run because boy does it feel like defcon 1 now.
I think these releases will be day one very, very soon.

If Microsoft has really decided that they won't release another console, not even a refresh, then these releases will all become day one. No reason to delay by a year.

King Dazzar

As I said yesterday, I'm thrilled if Xbox is porting HFR to Nintendo it belongs there. Both Ori games and Minecraft belong on Nintendo. Nintendo fans aren't arrogant and entitled and don't expect Xbox to put all their 1st party games on Nintendo nor do the aggressively demand they do so. What, I can't stand is how a bunch of people in this thread take an unconfirmed rumor that HFR is going to Nintendo and turn it into to an absolute fact that Xbox is getting out of the console business and going 3rd party.
I get your passion for Xbox. And you no doubt love your Xbox console. I was there with the OG Xbox and loved it. The XSX is a great piece of kit too. But surely when you step back from all this. View console sales etc, are you not at least concerned about what MS may do with the console when you consider how much they are invested in Publishing now? I think we should be mindful & careful of where they are going.

I want Xbox in the console space to challenge Sony. But it is what it is and MS do as they do. If you aren't concerned about Xbox and their console future, then imo you aint paying attention. And thats on Xbox, not the GAF. Even if its being communicated through Xbox known shills only at this time. But lets wait to see how things develop. It'll be a transition over time....

Last edited:

RCU005

I really do think Microsoft is going to redefine what it means to be a platform holder moving forward.

They aren't abandoning their platform/hardware but they also aren't going to be afraid to publish games on rival platforms.

That’s just called Third Party.
They haven’t abandoned the Series X, but at this time, what’s the point of releasing another console when they can’t sell a third of the competition.

They could make a huge comeback, but it’s extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

twilo99

For the two fronts in the discussion, it seems tough to come to terms with reason.

One side wants Xbox to keep all of the IP exclusive and see this as mutiny from the greater cause, and the other side wants to make the idea of Microsoft publishing on other platforms to mean that they are not making consoles anymore. Theyre both at the same point on the circle and not seeing the larger picture which is not about Xbox or PlayStation, but how to publish their IP on as many platforms and devices as possible.

Making their own hardware and publishing everywhere should be their goal.

Having their own launcher/store on iOS and Android would be greatly beneficial.

Not sure what they are going to do with the battle.net launcher on PC...

Not one of those so called journalists delves into why the consoles are not selling as well as the others.

No one wants to publicly call out the root of the problem, that the management haven’t done a good enough job in attracting a larger user base for it.

Are you telling me if Series S/X had much better numbers they wouldn’t be at least self congratulatory

I watch Benji and he talked about it a bit. He didn't outright blame management he just basically said he doesn't think anyone realized 1st day on PC would cannibalize sales so much. He said he's even been surprised by the impact. I personally think it's a combination of first day PC releases and people losing faith in the brand. I was already losing faith at the end of 360 but I didn't want to leave. The used game policy was to much for me though since at the time I regularly had to sell my games to get whatever new title I wanted.

On defining duke I saw them talking about how Sony hasn't really had a PS4 like generation so far but Xbox hasn't been able to capitalize on that. All I could think is "That's the point?". Even when Sony is just doing ok it's still better than whatever Xbox is doing so why ever switch or invest in that ecosystem?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I get your passion for Xbox. And you no doubt love your Xbox console. I was there with the OG Xbox and loved it. The XSX is a great piece of kit too. But surely when you step back from all this. View console sales etc, are you not at least concerned about what MS may do with the console when you consider how much they are invested in Publishing now? I think we should be mindful & careful of where they are going. And whilst people may antagonise etc with console wars.

I want Xbox in the console space to challenge Sony. But it is what it is and MS do as they do. If you aren't concerned about Xbox and their console future, then imo you aint paying attention. And thats on Xbox, not the GAF. Even if its being communicated through Xbox known shills only at this time. But lets wait to see how things develop. It'll be a transition over time....
If Sony needs a challenger, Xbox isn’t it. They’ve done nothing to really challenge them for over a decade anyway.

In reality, this is simple - competition doesn’t need to just exist, it needs to compete. Otherwise, Nintendo, PlayStation, and Steam with Microsoft releasing their games on all of those platforms doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Making their own hardware and publishing everywhere should be their goal.

Having their own launcher/store on iOS and Android would be greatly beneficial.

Not sure what they are going to do with the battle.net launcher on PC...

Yeah, their battle with Apple is looming, and they need to get out there as much as possible. Xbox hardware should become like a Steambox PC and all their software should be able to run on Windows machines, so I don’t think they’ll be on iOS. Apple has their own game service and they’re the real competition.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The entitled and arrogant bit is unfair. As for your last point, I will just say that klobrille or timdog have the same opinion that you can't stand. That yes HFR going to other platforms is a bad sign. And that it may mean that Xbox will be third party. It is certain? No. But we are speculating here and if there is other ways of seeing this like preparing for a sequel or stuff like that I would prefer that you talk about that than dismiss it because each time more info is there dismissing it make your position more intenable. 1 year ago HFR was a Xbox exclusive and we all could agree that it will stay that way. PC is there for people who want it. A few weeks ago we talked in this forum about Blade. And now we got rumors about Hi Fi Rush and Sea of thieves. What will we get tomorrow?

twilo99

Yeah, their battle with Apple is looming, and they need to get out there as much as possible. Xbox hardware should become like a Steambox PC and all their software should be able to run on Windows machines.

Indeed.

Apple is coming for them and there is nothing they can do really other than... well, I guess buying publishers and hoping for the best lol

I think that Apple is capable of rolling the whole industry if they really wanted to, I'm just not sure what their "gaming" strategy is long term.

If Sony needs a challenger, Xbox isn’t it. They’ve done nothing to really challenge them for over a decade anyway.

In reality, this is simple - competition doesn’t need to just exist, it needs to compete. Otherwise, Nintendo, PlayStation, and Steam with Microsoft releasing their games on all of those platforms doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.

I disagree a bit. The only reason the Sony sub service exist is because of MS.

Last edited:

havoc00

I can see why MS would port a live service game like SoT to other systems (player base, revenue, etc...) but I think there's more to Xbox being devalued among console gamers if they start porting bigger titles like SoT to PS and Nintendo.

Xbox fills me with zero confidence for the future next gen tbh with the recent news tbh.

havoc00

And unfortunately, that's where I've been for some considerable time now. But lets wait to see how things play out first...
I still have some hope because the roadmap of games seems pretty good, but with leaks like this happening, still getting crushed in sales with discounts etc....

Banjo64

cumsessed
Most MS first party games i dont care about.

But if any old Gears games go on PS or Nintendo, try them out if you never played them. Pure meathead shooter, but the key thing is the slip sliding cover system which you'll be hiding behind tons of 90 degree concrete blocks. It's inane, but a blood splattering good time. Being good at grenade tossing is tough even when it shows an arc. They dont go far like COD where you can throw a football field away. Game gets repetitive so dont burn yourself out playing Gears 1. So if the backlog includes many Gears games, just start with Gears 3. Dont worry about the story. It's space marines vs. aliens where you kill everything that moves.
I’d say that Xbox would be doing a disservice to the series by porting anything other than Gears 5. The online on that game is the best in the series.

Fabieter

Publishers are going to force all games to be streaming only now?

If that’s the case, it’ll be happening on all platforms.

Well it will be in the end the case on all platforms but they have two benefits from streaming exclusives pc games no cheaters and no pirates at all.

I can see why MS would port a live service game like SoT to other systems (player base, revenue, etc...) but I think there's more to Xbox being devalued among console gamers if they start porting bigger titles like SoT to PS and Nintendo.

Xbox fills me with zero confidence for the future next gen tbh with the recent news tbh.
just with the recent news?

Hudo

If Microsoft can make a deal with Sony that they publish their games on Playstation but Sony have to allow people signing up for Microsofts services to play them, then that's a pretty big win for Microsoft.
I don't think Sony would allow this and Microsoft probably won't do it without a deal like this.

GHG

Gold Member
Apple if they go all in

Yep, said this for a long time now:

Apple have entertainment divisions across both movies/TV and music. If they were to carve out a dedicated in-house gaming division there would be clear synergy, they already know how to run high performing successful entertainment businesses.

Structurally they share far more in common with Sony than they do Microsoft.

If apple wanted to take gaming seriously and create a console it would signal the end of Microsoft's efforts, I'm pretty sure of that. If xbox find it tough to compete against just Sony and Nintendo I have no idea how they would cope if Apple, Sony and Nintendo were all pushing one another. For a start, their notion that you can't be successful in Japan as an American console manufacturer would immediately look stupid.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They always instilled a xbox is here to stay, we will throw money at this and stay the course attitude, that has started to erode a bit the last few months or so.
It is harsh to say, but they follow the money. Until recently Xbox was the way to get your money. But now with them seeing Xbox getting left in the dust by the PS5 and the switch, and with COD and other games like diablo making more money on other platforms than Xbox give them ideas. I think that this year E3 will be the occasion to be clear about their strategy. If some Xbox exclusive are on Sony conference, then yeah its fubar. But if Xbox give us a killer conference, or at least promise something to the fans, then it will be obvious to all that they are still going to give people a reason to want a Xbox. I have been almost exclusively on Playstation since the PS2. And so many studios and great games died for sometimes the stupidest reasons. Better to have a game go on the PS5 than letting the studio die. We will have years to talk on GAF of the why and what will happen but honestly if Xbox have a good devellopers direct in the next few weeks it should be enough to make it clear what they plan to do.

King Dazzar

They always instilled a xbox is here to stay, we will throw money at this and stay the course attitude, that has started to erode a bit the last few months or so.
Yeah for me I started having concerns a couple of years ago. It wasn't one specific thing like this. it was a load of smaller things going on and then all the leaks and narrative that came about with ABK saga. I've got a full Xbox digital library carried over from the X1X. But started rethinking and bought a PS5 couple of years ago, primarily due to Xbox trust/future concerns.

I am concerned that Xbox is selling so poorly compared to Sony. But after spending almost $80 Billion for Bethesda and ABK I don't see them going 3rd party any time soon. It's of course anything is possible. I really do not want Xbox to go 3rd party since I tried Sony for the 1st time last gen. I HATED it. It was cheaply made, lacking features, terrible fragile OS and crappy controller and I hated the boring cinematic walking sims I'd always heard were so great. I'd have to become a member of the PC master race which is not convenient. I'd have to string cables across the floor, and I just don't enjoy PC gaming as much Xbox. I love Nintendo as a company, I first got into gaming with The Legend of Zelda on the NES but I'm not really a fan of their games (except Zelda).

I have a strong interest in wanting Xbox to stay in the console business. I am also not liking certain people based on a couple unconfirmed rumors taking them and running with the conclusion Xbox is shutting down it's console business and stating their conclusions as a fact.
I cant be arsed returning to PC's either. I tried a PS4 and sold it pretty quickly. But I loved the X1X. I'm loving the PS5 though and for once far prefer the dualsense controller with the haptics and adaptive triggers. No regrets at all. But yeah choice is always a good thing. Lets see what happens.

One thing is for sure though. For a while now, Xbox have repeatedly done or said things, where by I've thought, you're not filling me with confidence for someone with all my digital library sat with you. And the way this is being pondered on by their own shills, is frankly crap brand management. And they expect customers to stay loyal? Head scratching stuff...

Astray

If Microsoft can make a deal with Sony that they publish their games on Playstation but Sony have to allow people signing up for Microsofts services to play them, then that's a pretty big win for Microsoft.
I don't think Sony would allow this and Microsoft probably won't do it without a deal like this.
They don't have the leverage to be able to force this. Not after they got pummeled in console sales this year by PS5 and an aging Switch.

They'd be lucky if they get a 20/80 split from Sony and Nintendo at this point.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
EA make you create something when you play their games. I had to do it for dead space on PS5. That shit really got me angry. If EA can, Microsoft can to.
Edit. I read accounts not services. Yeah gamepass will be a hard sell.

Last edited:

Del_X

This chart was (incorrectly) created by Derek. This isn't official.

Also, Derek later realized his mistake (it wasn't operating profit at all) and he was comparing apples with oranges, and corrected himself.

Derek making an errant comparison doesn’t change the fact that Microsoft’s own internal metrics say “we are profitable by 12% before variable costs.”

But yeah it would be nice to see what MSFT is doing or if it’s just a mismanaged shitshow

Last edited:

havoc00

With Sony comfortably in the drivers seat I see no way this happens.

Top Bottom