• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft exploring bringing back catalog to Nintendo and PlayStation

GHG

Gold Member
I think he's looking forward to streaming only or something like that. I have several purchases that moved over from 360 to Xbox 1 and then to Xbox Series. The entire PS4 library moved over to PS5. It's not that much of stretch to say that if the PS11 is a streaming only device that they couldn't move your purchases over there.

He's talking about licenses transferring from Xbox to PC. That's a completely different ball-game to backwards compatibility.

Shin-Ra

Games for Windows Live support FAQ

Games for Windows Live is a retired PC gaming platform that ran alongside Xbox 360. We no longer provide customer support for Games for Windows Live. The following are answers to the most frequently asked questions about Games for Windows Live.

…​

Can I download games I own?​

Games from your Games for Windows Live collection can no longer be downloaded.

King Dazzar

He's talking about licenses transferring from Xbox to PC. That's a completely different ball-game to backwards compatibility.
You know it genuinely wouldnt surprise me if the shills start saying its peoples fault for buying games instead of using GPU. Something along the lines of the console was always designed to be used as part of rental service...

Its why I stopped investing in Xbox. Serious trust issues. What a shit show.

King Dazzar

I think he's looking forward to streaming only or something like that. I have several purchases that moved over from 360 to Xbox 1 and then to Xbox Series. The entire PS4 library moved over to PS5. It's not that much of stretch to say that if the PS11 is a streaming only device that they couldn't move your purchases over there.
I think the concern is what happens on the road to Xbox streaming only. Its not a journey exactly awe inspiringly filled with confidence is it.

GHG

Gold Member
Shin-Ra Shin-Ra please don't go there.

willow smith ptsd GIF by Red Table Talk

I think the concern is what happens on the road to Xbox streaming only. Its not a journey exactly awe inspiringly filled with confidence is it.

It's a journey that doesn't end the way they expected it to. This is another example of Microsoft just making those ever-present mistakes in their hubris.

Xbox won't exactly be leaving the market--it's just if your goal is Game Pass on TVs and phones, it kind of just..kills the console. Why buy it?

Your first party offerings are few and far between and though we may say Hellblade looks great, it isn't going to put them on the map suddenly. Not even Starfield was able to do that and it was more of a big AAA title.

Microsoft has a lot of opportunity to either:

1.) see if some franchises deserve new entries from an interest perspective. Banjo, Killer Instinct, Age of empires, Blue Dragon comes to mind.

2.) try and build “good will” and re-establish fallen IP like Halo, by giving the other consoles the MCC. Or Halo 1-3 or whatever. This is critical. Halo could still be MS biggest IP and also a box office movie sensation. But the current view of Halo is bad. The TV show, Halo 5 launch, and Halo Infinite launch did the brand no favors.

3.) GAAS, games that could be GAAS across Consoles, PC, mobile, and iPad. Full House poker, (the rumored) World of Warcraft mobile, Guitar Hero and 1v100 come to mind immediately. These could be F2p or have monetization items such as commercials or season passes.

4.) Bring back a profit on smaller niche IP. Battletoads, Rare Replay, Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Powerstar golf, psychonauts 1-2, etc.

5.) Finally. Just give everyone that canceled Goldenye XBLA game. That would be fun and an interesting gauge compared to their other FPS franchises.

Last edited:

1.) see if some franchises deserve new entries from an interest perspective. Banjo, Killer Instinct, Age of empires, Blue Dragon comes to mind.

2.) try and build “good will” and re-establish fallen IP like Halo, by giving the other consoles the MCC. Or Halo 1-3 or whatever. This is critical. Halo could still be MS biggest IP and also a box office movie sensation. But the current view of Halo is bad.

3.) Finally, games that could be GAAS across Consoles, PC, mobile, and iPad. Full House poker, (the rumored) World of Warcraft mobile and 1v100 come to mind immediately. These could be F2p or have monetization items such as commercials or season passes.
All of those things need to be made "at quality"...Xbox can´t do that

All of those things need to be made "at quality"...Xbox can´t do that
Suddenly, MS is flush with studios and it is likely they will acquire a few more in 2024. So, rent it comes down to a vision and a matter of quality. Some games could probably be brokered that Nintendo or maybe Sony help as well in finding a quality studio. Games like a hd remake of Banjo 1-2 come to mind. I’m sure Nintendo would have an interest in that. Even Sony since they don’t have any mascot games.

Throughout the years, there have been numerous instances of a video game console manufacturer publishing games for competitors' consoles.

During the period from 1982 to 1984, the three biggest console makers were Atari, Mattel, and Coleco. All of them published games for rival consoles, as well as for home computers.

Since when are we letting historical precedent and fact ruin a good FB wet dream?

pasterpl

Microsoft stock holders must simply not know about the imminent collapse of Xbox or they actually have no idea it exists.

Who in their right mind would buy Microsoft shares if they knew about Xbox?

Just for the context. Apple suffered due to EU USB_C ruling and recent case they have lost in USA for slowing down older iPhones that costed them $500m they have to pay to their customers

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Microsoft stock holders must simply not know about the imminent collapse of Xbox or they actually have no idea it exists.

It might say more about those thinking MS would collapse because of issues within Xbox.

I dont think it needs to be explained anymore.

This is the biggest hurdle/step towards a abandoning their own platform. It's so obvious.

They lose $$ on every hardware console they sell. What's the point of even producing them, especially if your consumer base doesn't even buy a lot of games either?

If Xbox publishes its 1P games on Nintendo and PS, they will make their Xbox hardware even more redundant. It'll reach a point where only a handful of people will buy Xbox. So the revenue/profit from selling software will not be financially viable anymore.

Also, we already have an example of Sega treading this path before.
I wouldn't really put all my eggs in that basket to be honest. Although if people as followed as Tom Warren, Jez, RandalThor and others are reporting, there's most probably a high likelihood of it actually happening. We'll see. Will Microsoft pull a Sega and shift their focus entirely on publishing their games on all platforms, while gradually dropping the hardware side slowly? Time will tell.

It might say more about those thinking MS would collapse because of issues within Xbox.

I dont think it needs to be explained anymore.
Xbox is just a tiny crack on the wall for Microsoft, it's got nowhere near the earning potential of their other, much more profitable divisions. Azure earns them massive amounts, Windows and office products earns them gargantuan amounts and that's not including their AI division, which makes the earnings and profits brought in by Xbox look absolutely miniscule by comparison. Microsoft will be making dozens of billions, even without Xbox(where they've been potentially bleeding cash, instead of earning it. Twitter fanboys just create dramas om the internet to make it seem like the Playstation side made such statements, when in reality, they can't resist mentioning them at every opportunity. They basically lives rent free in their heads at this point, to the point of obsession.

Last edited:
When I see people taking out the results of MS in general and its stock market value to do damage control for the state of Xbox, the only thing they do is make it look bad, as a company with an economic power dozens of times greater than Sony or Nintendo has not been able to overcome them in more than 20 years but on top of that they are going to have to release games for them because their strategy does not hold up, it is incredible how poorly managed the brand has been.

2.) try and build “good will” and re-establish fallen IP like Halo, by giving the other consoles the MCC. Or Halo 1-3 or whatever. This is critical. Halo could still be MS biggest IP and also a box office movie sensation. But the current view of Halo is bad. The TV show, Halo 5 launch, and Halo Infinite launch did the brand no favors.

3.) GAAS, games that could be GAAS across Consoles, PC, mobile, and iPad. Full House poker, (the rumored) World of Warcraft mobile, Guitar Hero and 1v100 come to mind immediately. These could be F2p or have monetization items such as commercials or season passes.

4.) Bring back a profit on smaller niche IP. Battletoads, Rare Replay, Halo Wars, Gears Tactics, Powerstar golf, psychonauts 1-2, etc.

5.) Finally. Just give everyone that canceled Goldenye XBLA game. That would be fun and an interesting gauge compared to their other FPS franchises.

None of that moves the needle on Console.

Platformers that aren't Mario or Donkey Kong and more importantly on the Nintendo platforms aren't going to move the needle. Even Sonic can barely move units. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart did nothing.

Killer Instinct is so low on the list of fighting games after Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8...

Age of Empire is not going to sell consoles. It's a PC game and always will be.

MistWalker hasn't made a console game in over a decade and that was on Wii. Sakaguchi's hatred of Sony destroyed his own studio. As the kids are saying these days cutting off your nose "despite" your face.

None of those smaller IP are going to move the needle, especially with GamePass Day 1. No one is buying those games.

None of that moves the needle on Console.

Platformers that aren't Mario or Donkey Kong and more importantly on the Nintendo platforms aren't going to move the needle. Even Sonic can barely move units. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart did nothing.

Killer Instinct is so low on the list of fighting games after Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8...

Age of Empire is not going to sell consoles. It's a PC game and always will be.

MistWalker hasn't made a console game in over a decade and that was on Wii. Sakaguchi's hatred of Sony destroyed his own studio. As the kids are saying these days cutting off your nose "despite" your face.

None of those smaller IP are going to move the needle, especially with GamePass Day 1. No one is buying those games.
We will have to disagree. Banjo will move units. Mario levels? Absolutely not. Same amount as Sonic? Yes, that is likely, imo. Which is a “win” for MS because it doesn’t have a mascot currently. Especially with the Halo debacle.

Killer instinct has an opportunity. Mortal combat and tekken are not as good gameplay wise as they used to be. I think it could be due for a renaissance similar to Street fighter.

Age of empires historically is a very popular game. I understand if you are under 30 years old you won’t understand fully. It was before most of their time.

They have “opportunities”. So, it makes all the sense in the world to bring these genes out.

I don’t understand why there is so much backlash on this. Microsoft is going to do this and hold almost all big titles for next gen. Xbox series is on pace to sell less than Xbox One. That is a disaster. Microsoft will circle the wagons and push out the remaining games and wait for the next gen in 2025-2026.

Releasing the old games bring them low cost, high opportunity for additional revenue and to gauge IP interest. To help offset the lower growth.

Last edited:
We will have to disagree. Banjo will move units. Mario levels? Absolutely not. Same amount as Sonic? Yes, that is likely, imo. Which is a “win” for MS because it doesn’t have a mascot currently. Especially with the Halo debacle.

Killer instinct has an opportunity. Mortal combat and tekken are not as good gameplay wise as they used to be. I think it could be due for a renaissance similar to Street fighter.

Age of empires historically is a very popular game. I understand if you are under 30 years old you won’t understand fully. It was before most of their time.

They have “opportunities”. So, it makes all the sense in the world to bring these genes out.

I don’t understand why there is so much backlash on this. Microsoft is going to do this and hold almost all big titles for next gen. Xbox series is on pace to sell less than Xbox One. That is a disaster. Microsoft will circle the wagons and push out the remaining games and wait for the next gen in 2025-2026.

Releasing the old games bring them low cost, high opportunity for additional revenue and to gauge IP interest. To help offset the lower growth.

I don't really think any of those games will do much but I agree they should at least try. The issue is they need to release quality and consistently. They also need to do this for a long time in order to rebuild the brand. It wont change things for this gen it's over. The damage to the brand wasn't done overnight it's been happening since the end of 360. They can expect it to take that long just to rebuild their brand.

Which I assume they themselves also recognize and is most likely why they are just switching strategies. They don't want to wait another decade to rebuild their reputation in the gaming community.

If anything, Xbox is so irrelevant to MS's overall business that stockholders don't even care about it, lmao.
This tweet isn't doing what you tguys think it is.

MS isn't doing like that because of Xbox...let's get serious.

If anything, Xbox is so irrelevant to MS's overall business that stockholders don't even care about it, lmao.
This tweet isn't doing what you tguys think it is.

MS isn't doing like that because of Xbox...let's get serious.

Very good point.

With that said maybe twilo99 twilo99 you should reconsider what you said. Obviously Microosft isn't highly valued due to Xbox but because if their other divisions like Cloud, Windows and Office.

Banjo Kazooie has never been as popular as Sonic. The first game sold 3.65 million units and the sequel sold 1.49 million units.
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a complete flop.

The platform userbase that existed on the N64 doesn't exist on the XBS and no one actually cares about Banjo Kazooie in 2024 and they barely did in 2000. It's never going to be the Xbox mascot.

Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are all at peak popularity. KI hasn't been relevant well ever...

I didn't say Age of Empire wasn't popular. I said it's not a console game, and it isn't. No one is buying consoles to play AoE.

You're clearly a fanboy so I'm not sure why I'm trying to have a factual debate with you, but it's hilarious that you think any of these games have any sort of leverage for Xbox. They don't and they've proven that for decades.

Banjo Kazooie has never been as popular as Sonic. The first game sold 3.65 million units and the sequel sold 1.49 million units.
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts was a complete flop.

The platform userbase that existed on the N64 doesn't exist on the XBS and no one actually cares about Banjo Kazooie in 2024 and they barely did in 2000. It's never going to be the Xbox mascot.

Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter are all at peak popularity. KI hasn't been relevant well ever...

I didn't say Age of Empire wasn't popular. I said it's not a console game, and it isn't. No one is buying consoles to play AoE.

You're clearly a fanboy so I'm not sure why I'm trying to have a factual debate with you, but it's hilarious that you think any of these games have any sort of leverage for Xbox. They don't and they've proven that for decades.

I've never understood the Banjo hype. The only one I even found semi fun was the mario kart rip off they had. I never heard anyone talk about those games when I played them it was just me and my cousin playing them.

KI is another one that just doesn't do much. It was always seen as a joke of a fighting game. Like lets have fun but no one is taking this seriously. AOE is more PC focused and it will at least help them grow in that strategy but most will just buy it on steam.

That's delusional. Maybe that's the case for Xbox (if they even release a next gen console at all), but for Nintendo and PlayStation? Not a chance, both have over 60% physical ratio for most of their bigger first party releases. And that's probably true for most AAA publishers.

Because Xbox don't do well with physical copies doesn't mean that the same is true with Playstation and Nintendo.

No idea why people use Xbox as an indicator of how the other two will do. Xbox should only be used as an indicator for itself to be honest.

I've never understood the Banjo hype. The only one I even found semi fun was the mario kart rip off they had. I never heard anyone talk about those games when I played them it was just me and my cousin playing them.

KI is another one that just doesn't do much. It was always seen as a joke of a fighting game. Like lets have fun but no one is taking this seriously. AOE is more PC focused and it will at least help them grow in that strategy but most will just buy it on steam.

The hype comes from wanting a platformer and a mascot and thinking that will cure all that ails Xbox.

So many people in life look for curealls and silver bullets. It's mental weakness in the face of reality.

Jak and Daxter was more successful than Banjo Kazooie, it's on the same platform being PlayStation, and Naughty Dog won't even farm the game out to another studio there's so little interest in it.

Crash Trilogy remaster was very successful, but Crash 4 bombed and it was well received. That should tell you everything you need to know about the prospects of a Banjo title. They're nonexistent.

KI is so low on the historic charts for fighting games and there are SO many fighting games out right now. KI is going to flop more than Forza did.

I'm surprised that Microsoft doesn't have a strong push for KB/M on Xbox. It might help get some of these consumers there. I guess the Razer Turret didn't perform that well, but I think they need to create a specific keyboard for gaming not for PC. I think they're stuck in a paradigm that it has to be the same keyboard, but they're also in a tough spot with having enough keys and mobility without being table top.

twilo99

Very good point.

With that said maybe twilo99 twilo99 you should reconsider what you said. Obviously Microosft isn't highly valued due to Xbox but because if their other divisions like Cloud, Windows and Office.

They are just proving my point.

If Xbox is small enough for Microsoft and their shareholders to not care, there isn’t really a compelling reason to shut it down, which goes against the narrative.

The stock price not being affected by the Xbox “collapse” is simply not convenient.

If it was the other way around, where the stock price was going down, a correlation would be made immediately and Spencer hanged from a tree…

Astray

If these games were winning properties, we probably wouldn't even be having conversations about whether and how MS is porting it's best and brightest to Sony and Nintendo platforms..

nick776

When I see people taking out the results of MS in general and its stock market value to do damage control for the state of Xbox, the only thing they do is make it look bad, as a company with an economic power dozens of times greater than Sony or Nintendo has not been able to overcome them in more than 20 years but on top of that they are going to have to release games for them because their strategy does not hold up, it is incredible how poorly managed the brand has been.
Like I've said, any other public company would clean house and get all new management. Phil Spencer remains in his position, though.

Interfectum

Like I've said, any other public company would clean house and get all new management. Phil Spencer remains in his position, though.
They are promoting him upwards though. Soon he'll be so deep in the c-suite that his decision making power over Xbox will be gone.

StereoVsn

I don't think they have much to gain to be honest.

I think ABK was largely in decline, I think Bethesda was largely in decline, and I think MGS was largely in decline.

I'm not sure how much interest they have on PlayStation and they're already on PC.

Non-Nintendo Software still doesn't sell super well on Switch with few exceptions like Hogwarts Legacy.

I think they have to entirely readjust their goals as a company to just be a modest but large 3rd party publisher, but in a world where there's only PlayStation as a premium console, it makes everyone essentially a 2nd party publisher.

I don't really envision a future where they're really creating bangers. I don't see them managing their studios well unless they get an entirely new leadership team that makes changes across the board. So many of their IP are dead and will be difficult to bring back to life.

Porting Forza to PS5 isn't going to sell millions of copies of it. No one on PS5 wants Forza.

I think they'll have some limited success with legacy titles like Master Chief Collection, Gears Trilogy, and maybe more recently Flight Simulator... but that's about it. Even more limited success with Sea of Thieves and HiFi Rush.
I mean I would take Forza (if it was good) and next Horizon on PS5. Because MS fucked with controllers and my wheel won’t work Xbox now.

Personally I think there are enough customers on PS5 that don’t have Xbox or Gaming PC who would buy a lot of Forza Horizon copies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If Xbox is small enough for Microsoft and their shareholders to not care, there isn’t really a compelling reason to shut it down, which goes against the narrative.

The stock price not being affected by the Xbox “collapse” is simply not convenient.

If it was the other way around, where the stock price was going down, a correlation would be made immediately and Spencer hanged from a tree…
Yup.

It all comes down to if MS wants to clamp down on Xbox and gaming for efficiencies sake, but not survival. The narrative is Xbox makes bad money or has lost money for 20 years and has shrinking market share. Well, it's still here and the corporate coffer is actually bigger with Bethesda and Activision purchases. On the other hand, something like Windows phones and Zune disappeared.

Sony lost shit loads of money on their TV division 10 years ago. Billions for years. It was so bad the company lost money because the losses were so big it dragged down all other divisions. And they did a big round of firings. At that time to raise money they even sold off some non-essential product divisions to get some cash infusions.

Sony's TV division is still around.

PS3 was a money loser right from the beginning and basically gave back all the profits they made from PS1 and PS2 eras. They still stuck around for PS4 and the first few years barely made money. The big money came around when everyone amped up on direct e-store digital purchases and mtx around 2016.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Xbox is just a tiny crack on the wall for Microsoft, it's got nowhere near the earning potential of their other, much more profitable divisions. Azure earns them massive amounts, Windows and office products earns them gargantuan amounts and that's not including their AI division, which makes the earnings and profits brought in by Xbox look absolutely miniscule by comparison. Microsoft will be making dozens of billions, even without Xbox(where they've been potentially bleeding cash, instead of earning it. Twitter fanboys just create dramas om the internet to make it seem like the Playstation side made such statements, when in reality, they can't resist mentioning them at every opportunity. They basically lives rent free in their heads at this point, to the point of obsession.
It also creates the perception that MS will just continue to sink costs into Gamepass and Xbox regardless of how much they are losing.

Make no mistake: Xbox would have been LONG gone without other divisions raking in so much dough. There is simply no way it is currently profitable. How do I know? It's simple: Microsoft never shares the Xbox numbers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mean I would take Forza (if it was good) and next Horizon on PS5. Because MS fucked with controllers and my wheel won’t work Xbox now.

Personally I think there are enough customers on PS5 that don’t have Xbox or Gaming PC who would buy a lot of Forza Horizon copies.
Sony would welcome any game from Xbox with open arms. They get a 30% cut of every game released on PS.

Actually you just proved that the performance of the Xbox division does matter. If it isn't living up to expectations then changes need to me made. Doesn't necessarily mean the death of Xbox but it could lead to a huge change in how they handle their business.

Don't think Microsoft wants the Xbox division to be a month sink. They will change it to achieve their goals. Which could lead to a very different gaming division as we know it.

Top Bottom