• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If any of you guys like to golf, I recommend the Executive Caddie app. It is really nice app and it is currently free.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Executive caddy was nice, but it didn't always send me the scorecard via email afterwards and the interface was unintuitive. Never even figured out how to properly add my playing partners. That was all 2 months ago, dont know if they've fixed that stuff.

JaggedSac

Interesting, was a time frame told to investors? I would think even the most bullish of estimates would not have put Nokia doing much better than they currently are.

e I thought that SGIII was a fake ... (along with the bastard Windows Phone 8 version). It looks like cheap Nokia 610 or 710.

I am hoping HTC released version of the One for Windows Phone 8 as it seems Nokia might not survive their stock imploding.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope there is a Nokia W8 tablet by the end of the year. Also with Nokia, if worse comes to worse MS could always by them.

Firestorm

Thanks NeOak! I use up about 1.2GB a month but I assume a large part of that is from web browsing and some app downloads which I'll refrain from doing.

NeOak

Interesting, was a time frame told to investors? I would think even the most bullish of estimates would not have put Nokia doing much better than they currently are.

One of their ex-executives said that a single bad Symbian phone woulds sell 3 millions at least. Lumias have sold what? 2 mil across 3 devices?

Korey

Taking landscape photos:

I'm a newb to smartphones so hear me out. If you take a photo holding the phone in landscape, and you view the picture later, it'll think the photo is supposed to be portrait. So when you tilt your phone to landscape, for some reason the wide photo (which used to take up all the screen) will turn into a small portrait photo.

Any solutions to this? Are you just not supposed to take wide shots with the camera phone?

strata8

Taking landscape photos:

I'm a newb to smartphones so hear me out. If you take a photo holding the phone in landscape, and you view the picture later, it'll think the photo is supposed to be portrait. So when you tilt your phone to landscape, for some reason the wide photo (which used to take up all the screen) will turn into a small portrait photo.

Any solutions to this? Are you just not supposed to take wide shots with the camera phone?
It sounds like your phone is bunk. Do the camera controls rotate correctly when you turn the phone? What about landscape apps like Email, Messaging, Settings etc?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sometimes that happens if you hold the phone at an awkward angle. For example, if you are aiming mostly downward while in landscape mode the phone may have trouble recognizing which orientation to select.

But yeah, if you are taking a landscape photo for something right in front of you, and you hold the phone straight out in front of you, it should orient it properly.

Edit: you can always rotate the photos with desktop software once you sync it, and there are a ton of apps that will do that as well, but if it's happening all the time and you're holding the phone properly, then your accelerometer is probably busted.

JaggedSac

One of their ex-executives said that a single bad Symbian phone woulds sell 3 millions at least. Lumias have sold what? 2 mil across 3 devices?

They were headed to the stink hole with no chance of coming out with Symbian albeit with a slightly less steep drop in marketshare over the past year. With WP, they at least have a smidge of a chance to stop the marketshare collapse in the future and possibly grab some back.

NeOak

They were headed to the stink hole with no chance of coming out with Symbian albeit with a slightly less steep drop in marketshare over the past year. With WP, they at least have a smidge of a chance to stop the marketshare collapse in the future and possibly grab some back.

Chance? What chance? Meego was their chance. They had everything planned, a clear migration path, great hardware (N9 and N950) to introduce the platform and industry support for the OS (Meego was being used for car computers too and the eventual Intel phone would have ran Meego instead of Android).

What sinkhole when your shittiest phone with your "obsolete" (lol) platform sells more than 3 different models combined with the "new and hot" WP7?

They should have gone Meego and WP7 instead of the suicidal exclusivity that destroyed over 2/3rds of their worldwide marketshare in a year.

Edit: Oh and Amazon dropped the Lumia 900 price to 40 bucks for contract extension.

Chance? What chance? Meego was their chance. They had everything planned, a clear migration path, great hardware (N9 and N950) to introduce the platform and industry support for the OS (Meego was being used for car computers too and the eventual Intel phone would have ran Meego instead of Android).

What sinkhole when your shittiest phone with your "obsolete" (lol) platform sells more than 3 different models combined with the "new and hot" WP7?

They should have gone Meego and WP7 instead of the suicidal exclusivity that destroyed over 2/3rds of their worldwide marketshare in a year.

Edit: Oh and Amazon dropped the Lumia 900 price to 40 bucks for contract extension.

It was no win for them either way ... they would have collapse with Meego, may be even worst. The real question would be would they have done better if they have gone with Android. (I doubt it).

I think the market just expect sudden reversal of fortune ... not sure why if they looks at Palm, or Blackberry I think Nokia has done decently.

JaggedSac

Clear path != success

Here was their projection before WP7:

uxqMK.png

So they aren't doing much worse than they would have been.

And lol at an Intel phone and car computers meaning jack squat.

venne

It was no win for them either way ... they would have collapse with Meego, may be even worst. The real question would be would they have done better if they have gone with Android. (I doubt it).

I think the market just expect sudden reversal of fortune ... not sure why if they looks at Palm, or Blackberry I think Nokia has done decently.

I don't think we can properly evaluate Nokia's decision until 2013. I see it being a Windows 8 play, not Windows Phone 7. This fall should see the first true fruits from the Microsoft/Nokia partnership, namely Windows 8 phones and tablets.

Like Windows Phone 7 itself, I see the current Lumia line-up as a stop gap to have some market presence during the company's transition.

frontieruk

I don't think we can properly evaluate Nokia's decision until 2013. I see it being a Windows 8 play, not Windows Phone 7. This fall should see the first true fruits from the Microsoft/Nokia partnership, namely Windows 8 phones and tablets.

Like Windows Phone 7 itself, I see the current Lumia line-up as a stop gap to have some market presence during the company's transition.

This, though I see the lumia actually being a surprise to Nokia with the success it's having with the range in the USA, I think Nokias profile is improving so mindshare will increase leading to marketshare. It'll be interesting to see if they can carry the momentum with their wp8 devices.

strata8

That's a bit of an assumption to make. It's fair enough, IMO, if the app uses the YouTube name. Apps like easyTube and SuperTube have been on the marketplace for ages without an issue.

It's a silly article. Removing a single YouTube app doesn't mean Google is "going on the offensive" against any apps that use their services.
It's wmpu, just move on, there's nothing to see.
Don't use their brand name and you'll be fine.
Could be a good thing, these notices tend to indicate an official release on the horizon.
There is an official app. click here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom