• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

http://nokiapoweruser.com/2012/05/0...ery-performance-coming-to-lumia-800-710-soon/

In what seems like an unconfirmed tip from our reader ”Amit”, in a program organised yesterday, Nokia has probably demoed the Tango/wp 7.5 refresh update and the changes that it brings obviously include internet sharing/Tethering but the details of other changes are really interesting.

•Marketplace now being named as Nokia market place with Nokia store’s logo.
•Improved battery performance.
•Nokia is about to release an App which allows bluetooth file transfer for Lumia phones.

Bluetooth file transfer is something for which windows phone OS has been criticised severely by Symbian users, and in a recent discussion CEO Elop has confirmed that it will be coming soon to Lumia devices.

Amit also reports that in reply to his question “whether current Lumia devices would be updated to Apollo” he was ascertained that Lumias will receive many future updates including “Major ones”. Hmmm!! lots of positivity in that reply

RUMORS RUMORS RUMORS

Well as long as you don't post anything that might get you in trouble.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thought--there's no intention to say anything I shouldn't here or on twitter. I've done nothing wrong (they say to identify yourself as an employee when discussing things), so there's no reason not to post my twitter handle.

why are people so obsessed with making their homescreen look like a cheap Android knock-off?

Because that's what people actually want. I'm sure most of the users actually wanted an Android phone, but just couldn't afford one, so they got Windows Phone as the cheaper alternative. Others probably thought that the start screen was just some silly OEM skin and thought they could flash some CM ROM on it, but now they're stuck with a 2y contract.

Poor souls.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Because that's what people actually want. I'm sure most of the users actually wanted an Android phone, but just couldn't afford one, so they Windows Phone as the cheaper alternative. Others probably thought that the start screen was just some silly OEM skin and thought they could flash some CM ROM on it, but now they're stuck with a 2y contract.

Poor souls.
maybe widgets are the shit, and you just don't realize it yet.

ChanHuk

Banned
Because that's what people actually want. I'm sure most of the users actually wanted an Android phone, but just couldn't afford one, so they Windows Phone as the cheaper alternative. Others probably thought that the start screen was just some silly OEM skin and thought they could flash some CM ROM on it, but now they're stuck with a 2y contract.

Poor souls.

Couldn't afford an Android phone? Most the Android phones out there are the ones that are given out for free.

Truth is, people like customization, but that becomes complicated. In reality, they want something that just works, but easily customizable. That doesn't exist.

Couldn't afford an Android phone? Most the Android phones out there are the ones that are given out for free.

Truth is, people like customization, but that becomes complicated. In reality, they want something that just works, but easily customizable. That doesn't exist.

lol

Android?

hwalker84

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/07/samsung-focus-2-windows-phone/
focus-2-wp-2012-05-07-600.jpg

Why couldn't they make the Focus S in LTE?

Commodore

Focus 2? More like Focus 1.37. Wierd that they'd release this knowing what's happening later this year. They either know what's going down with the update situation or they are really gunning for first time smart phone buyers who don't mind getting what it offers.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I dont know, I think that's a good deal. Not for me or anyone who visits this thread, but definitely a nice mainstream alternative to a cheap android phone. We need more of these, and then hopefully we in this thread get the superphones this fall with Apollo.

Although I agree with greyface that this should've been out on sprint and Verizon. I'm pretty sure MS and Samsung would've wanted that as well, but both Verizon and Sprint have been reluctant to order new wp7 devices.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just downloaded the Newser app. The news app has a nice metro design and the superlatives section is pretty cool. Newser partnered with Nokia on the app so I'm not sure if it is available on non-lumia devices.

ElNino

Just downloaded the Newser app. The news app has a nice metro design and the superlatives section is pretty cool. Newser partnered with Nokia on the app so I'm not sure if it is available on non-lumia devices.
I tried it this morning and it looks (and runs) nice. I'm not sure how many of the news stories will interest me, but I'll give it shot in addition to my daily feeds.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Only reason that makes me think the Samsung phone isn't a great deal is because there have been soooo many frick'n 900 deals that it doesn't seem that great. I mean at one point AT&T was basically paying you to take a 900.

That being said the phone probably isn't that bad. It's probably more similar to the Focus Flash verses the Focus S, but for a cheap LTE phone you could do waaayyy worse.

I just think now's a bad time in general to buy a phone in the US on any carrier with any OS unless we are talking the One X. Everything else is either last year's model or a souped up/and or cheap remix of last year's model. The HTC One X being the lone current exception, and the 900 being half an exception.

Only way I'm getting something now is if I HAVE to have a phone, and/or I can get a phone like the 900 for basically free/penny.

JaggedSac

Just grabbed it, it is available to non-Lumia devices. Pretty neat little app.

GJS

The unbranded Chinese country variant of Tango/refresh (1750.805.8773.12140) for the RM-801 Lumia 800 popped up today.

It can be flashed to non Chinese handsets and adds tethering and some camera features but removes facebook and twitter. If you need tethering now you can use it until the version with facebook is uploaded to the Nokia servers and then reflash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1640558

Only reason that makes me think the Samsung phone isn't a great deal is because there have been soooo many frick'n 900 deals that it doesn't seem that great. I mean at one point AT&T was basically paying you to take a 900.

That being said the phone probably isn't that bad. It's probably more similar to the Focus Flash verses the Focus S, but for a cheap LTE phone you could do waaayyy worse.

I just think now's a bad time in general to buy a phone in the US on any carrier with any OS unless we are talking the One X. Everything else is either last year's model or a souped up/and or cheap remix of last year's model. The HTC One X being the lone current exception, and the 900 being half an exception.

Only way I'm getting something now is if I HAVE to have a phone, and/or I can get a phone like the 900 for basically free/penny.

what's wrong with the One S?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
what's wrong with the One S?

Nothing really I guess, and I like the handset set size. It's still feels like the baby brother version of the X though which has the higher resolution screen and the better build design.

In general though HTC with their Android One series are the only company so far to actually put out a full 2012 lineup of phones though. Everything else so far is either 2011 on the cheap or 2011 1.5 aka a half step.

Nothing really I guess, and I like the handset set size. It's still feels like the baby brother version of the X though which has the higher resolution screen and the better build design.

In general though HTC with their Android One series are the only company so far to actually put out a full 2012 lineup of phones though. Everything else so far is either 2011 on the cheap or 2011 1.5 aka a half step.

Good news tho, the Dual Core qualcomm 'Krait' of the One S isn't much slower than the Tegra 3 quad core in the one X, in fact, they're nearly just as fast in actual OS performance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I'm drooling at the thought of a Krait-powered Windows Phone. I'm pretty sure that's as good as it gets for us this year, since any newer chipset would take at least some time to go through the testing and approval process, meaning 2013.

I was just thinking how this is terrible UI design. Not a new observation, but I just can't believe that it persists.

If we look at the phone screen, there are more vertical pixels than there are horizontal pixels. In this sense, we say that the horizontal pixels are more valuable because there are less of them.

Now we look at this screen. There is a whole vertical column of pixels on the home screen completely wasted but for a small circular icon at the top...

This is terrible and stupid UI design. Why not put it on a horizontal block? Your total wasted pixel space would be reduced probably by half and you could more easily put text there (i.e. a ticker of some sort).

I was just thinking how this is terrible UI design. Not a new observation, but I just can't believe that it persists.

If we look at the phone screen, there are more vertical pixels than there are horizontal pixels. In this sense, we say that the horizontal pixels are more valuable because there are less of them.

Now we look at this screen. There is a whole vertical column of pixels on the home screen completely wasted but for a small circular icon at the top...

This is terrible and stupid UI design. Why not put it on a horizontal block? Your total wasted pixel space would be reduced probably by half and you could more easily put text there (i.e. a ticker of some sort).

the want the idea of navigation on the device to be quick and obvious to someone who has never even seen a WP7 phone before.

It's a shame no one every noticed that. Better DM Joe Belfiore about that asap.

the want the idea of navigation on the device to be quick and obvious to someone who has never even seen a WP7 phone before.

That's fine, but the same concept could have been implemented with a horizontal block instead of a vertical block and would have saved maybe 2/5 - 1/2 of the total number of pixels on the home page while still allowing alternate usages for the black space.

Seems like a silly design mistake and I'm surprised that they keep letting it persist.

kehs

Banned

It's not wasted space though, it has a very clear implied function to it. It's a seperator between your main screen and the next screen. Once on the other screen, the space still exists on the left side. It acts as a "handle" between the two sections. The small icons teases you to press it, and after the first time you do, you'll know what the section is there for.

They are valuable pixels, and they are being used to their full extent.

That's fine, but the same concept could have been implemented with a horizontal block instead of a vertical block and would have saved maybe 2/5 - 1/2 of the total number of pixels on the home page while still allowing alternate usages for the black space.

Seems like a silly design mistake and I'm surprised that they keep letting it persist.

UI is more than homescreen alone. I love the Windows Phone 7 UI, but I don't like the Windows Phone 7 home screen to be honest.

no, a silly design would be having the arrow as a bar on the top or bottom while still implying there is more to be had to the right instead of the arrow and bar being on the right side.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Uh oh, imagine the post he'll make if he looks at the actual app list screen that the arrow points to. Talk about "wasted space". Sheesh.

GJS

The arrow persists in space that would exist no matter what with the current design.

The tiles are sized so that a certain amount of them fit on the screen, if you were to resize the tiles so that there was less space on the right hand side then there would be less tiles on the screen.

The arrow persists in space that would exist no matter what with the current design.

The tiles are sized so that a certain amount of them fit on the screen, if you were to resize the tiles so that there was less space on the right hand side then there would be less tiles on the screen.

they would just have to completely re-do the entire tile system, that's all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom