• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Kind of sucks that there's no auto backup mechanism for these types of issues. :/

Brotkasten has the right to be extremely angry. I know I would.

I had something similar happen where my phone (at the time HTC Titan) crashed while I was using it. When it rebooted it was like the OS reloaded itself. The wallpapers where back, the generic bookmarks, my email accounts where unpinned from the home screen, and I had to redo the contacts that I have to manually link their social networks.

It wasn't really that bad took about 5 mins but I was thrown off by it.

Microsoft really needs to step their game up when it comes to backup and restore. WP8 better bring full backup and restore functionality for the OS. Meaning that no matter what manufacture I switch to my text messages, apps, home screen, saved game data better come over. I fully expect WP8 to be the last time I go through this.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
At&t screwed up my phone by semi-adding in visual voicemail, and now every time I go to the phone app it throws up a message that I have to click past. Annoying enough that I want to reset my phone, but I really don't want to go through the pain if downloading and configuring my apps again. I dont mind too much losing my messages but id rather keep them.

I have a dev unlocked phone, any homebrew apps that can help?

At&t screwed up my phone by semi-adding in visual voicemail, and now every time I go to the phone app it throws up a message that I have to click past. Annoying enough that I want to reset my phone, but I really don't want to go through the pain if downloading and configuring my apps again. I dont mind too much losing my messages but id rather keep them.

I have a dev unlocked phone, any homebrew apps that can help?

There's a homebrew app to backup txts.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1448197

PG2G

New app partnerships announced at CTIA Wireless

Rovio – The company is building a dedicated development team to create titles for Nokia Lumia and the wider Windows Phone ecosystem, with the goal of publishing all future Rovio titles – including Angry Birds Space – on the platform as quickly as possible.

PayPal – Nokia and PayPal are working together to create a Windows Phone app to allow secure, fast and easy payments through PayPal wherever you may be.

Some others listed there too, like TIME and NewsWeek. Looks like Nokia is giving a pretty good push to fill some of the gaps.

A bunch of exclusive Lumia apps too..
1. PGA TOUR
2. ESPN Fantasy Football
3. Groupon Major Update (6 months time exclusive)
4. AOL Entertainment Hub

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn, ESPN fantasy football, I dont like this at all. Looks like Nokia phones will be the only windows phones worth buying. This sucks for me, and my co worker who owns a Titan will be pissed as well when he hears about it, we both play ESPN fantasy football.

I mean, good on Nokia for paying people like Rovio to give a shit about the platform, but if the results aren't going to trickle to the entire ecosystem, that just sucks. Its not like I had an option to upgrade to a Nokia phone last October
:(

hwalker84

Some others listed there too, like TIME and NewsWeek. Looks like Nokia is giving a pretty good push to fill some of the gaps.

1. PGA TOUR
2. ESPN Fantasy Football
4. AOL Entertainment Hub

ESPN – The exclusive ESPN Sports Hub will receive a number of updates over current months, bringing greater personalisation options, such as panoramas dedicated to your favourite teams.
Please allow us to login to ESPN I'll dump the other ESPN in a heartbeat if that happens.

PG2G

I just need an ESPN app that makes good use of live tiles. Let me pin my favorite teams to the home screen and make it display the next game date/time and current game scores. Outside of weather apps, I can't think of a more obvious use of live tiles.

I just need an ESPN app that makes good use of live tiles. Let me pin my favorite teams to the home screen and make it display the next game date/time and current game scores. Outside of weather apps, I can't think of a more obvious use of live tiles.

There is an app that does this already...forgot the name of it, though.

1. PGA TOUR
2. ESPN Fantasy Football
4. AOL Entertainment Hub

SPORT:

The PGA Tour app – exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 12 months from launch
ESPN – exclusive to Nokia Lumia until May 2013

GAMES:

Rovio – titles starting with Angry Birds Space join the original Angry Birds game in coming to Nokia Lumia and Windows Phone consumers

EA – bringing leading game titles to Nokia Lumia and Windows Phone consumers

LIFESTYLE:

Groupon – Exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 6 months from launch

Tripdots – Exclusive to Windows Phone customers for 3 months from launch

FINANCE:

PayPal app for Windows Phone

ENTERTAINMENT:

AOL Entertainment Hub – exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 6 months.

NEWS:

Time Magazine app for Windows Phone

Newsweek – The Daily Beast app for Windows Phone

PRODUCTIVITY:

Box app for Windows Phone

Troll

Banned
I wonder if there is any incentive for a company to move development to WP without being asked to, it seems like the hold outs get money hats.

Troll

Banned
Business Insider is suggesting that Microsoft has lobbied to have the next Facebook phone run WP.

Business Insider said:
Why would Facebook do this? Microsoft will pitch three advantages.
We're not Google.

We know what to do and how to do it.

Making a phone is not easy. You have to develop the OS, get manufacturers to build handsets for it, get carriers to carry it, market it, sell it, and ship it. Facebook has no idea how to do any of this. Microsoft does, and it will offer to help Facebook with all of it.

We know everyone.

Microsoft has relationships across the industry. Samsung, HTC, and Nokia are already making Windows Phones. LG was. AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon are already carrying the phones. Microsoft spends hundreds of millions of dollars with ad agencies every year. It's working with a logistics firm, Brightpoint, to get the product shipped to stores efficiently.

Why Microsoft want to do this? Again, according to our source:

Some of the appeal is being able to drive mobile traffic to Microsoft's online properties, particularly Bing.

Microsoft's grandest desire is deep penetration in mobile that will allow it to someday offer consumers a NFC-powered payments product.

Microsoft wants to do something like PayPal, but in the physical world. It wants to get there before Google figures out how to fix Google Wallet.

Microsoft is not particularly interested in the concept of location-based advertising.

Walshicus

Have been taking a look at the mobile stats for the site I analyse again. Of course this is just one site, but it's interesting how the data plays out.

Using January 2012's traffic as % of all handheld mobile as a baseline:
WP7: 177% (pretty much linear upward trend every month since Jan)
iPhone: 99% (had a small jump in March, but fell after)
Android: 106% (again, pretty linear upward trend with a small dip in March)
Blackberry: 82% (down, down we go)

Anyone else got any similar real-world data?

Troll

Banned
Have been taking a look at the mobile stats for the site I analyse again. Of course this is just one site, but it's interesting how the data plays out.

Using January 2012's traffic as % of all handheld mobile as a baseline:
WP7: 177% (pretty much linear upward trend every month since Jan)
iPhone: 99% (had a small jump in March, but fell after)
Android: 106% (again, pretty linear upward trend with a small dip in March)
Blackberry: 82% (down, down we go)

Anyone else got any similar real-world data?

What site is that, if you don't mind

But they did.

He8J6.png

And why the hell would Microsoft sue them for that? It's not like Apple developed that app.

Ugh, that petent is useless. It's way too specific.

Something weird happened with my phone.

The battery died over the weekend and I couldn't find the micro-USB cable to charge it, so it was w/o juice for few days. Yesterday I got a new cable, charged the phone and when I turned it on, it seems that a semi-reset happened. The lockscreen wallpaper was the default Mango wallpaper, my E-Mail accounts were gone, my contacts and messages were still there, but it said there wasn't a Live ID, the Facebook stream still worked, though. The previously deleted stock wallpapers were back as well. Biggest problem now is that I can't add a Live ID anymore. Obvious solution would be a complete reset, but I don't want to lose my messages again. This is fucked. Fuck this phone and fuck this OS, I'll get a Blackberry 10!

I remember something similair happening to my HD2 that was running Windows Mobile 6.5 at the time.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Something weird happened with my phone.

The battery died over the weekend and I couldn't find the micro-USB cable to charge it, so it was w/o juice for few days. Yesterday I got a new cable, charged the phone and when I turned it on, it seems that a semi-reset happened. The lockscreen wallpaper was the default Mango wallpaper, my E-Mail accounts were gone, my contacts and messages were still there, but it said there wasn't a Live ID, the Facebook stream still worked, though. The previously deleted stock wallpapers were back as well. Biggest problem now is that I can't add a Live ID anymore. Obvious solution would be a complete reset, but I don't want to lose my messages again. This is fucked. Fuck this phone and fuck this OS, I'll get a Blackberry 10!
FUCK YEA. ill join you. just gimmie 1 min

6Kg7Ks.jpg

kk i am ready!

Kind of sucks that there's no auto backup mechanism for these types of issues. :/
is there a manual backup?

although auto should be default if they had it.

JaggedSac

Nokia is running a contest on Facebook or twitter to win a magenta 800 for mothers day. Can't be too far off.

Hmm, hopefully the 900 has the magenta by next Monday, otherwise my s.o. will have to stay will black or get the white(she doesn't like the cyan for some reason).

jagowar

finally, a pureview video that's stabilized. good lawd it's amazing. dude in the video is an idiot though, it's not optical zoom, it's actually digital zoom but with zero loss due to pureview's down sampling tech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEoAkdKgbLg

Very impressive.... that tech really should be in all cameraphones/phablets.

1. PGA TOUR
2. ESPN Fantasy Football
4. AOL Entertainment Hub

To me this is a horrible idea.... ms should be the one footing the bill and not nokia and releasing the apps to all windows phones. Non nokia phone owners are going to have a much more limited marketplace to choose apps from and they will still have the feeling that windows phone has no apps when in reality it does but just not on their phone. This is windows phone version of fragmentation.

Cipherr

Very impressive.... that tech really should be in all cameraphones/phablets.

To me this is a horrible idea.... ms should be the one footing the bill and not nokia and releasing the apps to all windows phones. Non nokia phone owners are going to have a much more limited marketplace to choose apps from and they will still have the feeling that windows phone has no apps when in reality it does but just not on their phone. This is windows phone version of fragmentation.

I don't see this as any different than what HW manu's like Samsung do with their phones with all the Voice recognition stuff, and their phone specific camera software suites and whatnot.

Fact is, Nokia is the only one putting any effort into the WP game, fuck the others if they don't want to bother.I dont think MS is going to run WP like Apple does iOS, so little differences like this are going to be commonplace. However since Nokia is like the only major one for WP doing this, they will become the sort of, king of the OS phone wise anyway.

Troll

Banned
Just got my lumia gaf, which are the must have apps gaf?

ESPN
Nokia Drive / Transport
USA Today
Music Subscription Service (Zune, Spotify or Rdio)
Amazon
Xbox Live
Facebook
Twitter (1st party, Medoh or Carbon0
Kindle
Ebay
Fandango
Skydrive

Depends on your interests, too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I would say the Nokia marketplace app does a great job in filtering out the best apps, so just browse that, then use the main marketplace for the indie/low hype gems after you have all the big apps.

Commodore

So a few decent new News apps have popped up. Newser which was mentioned already, and FLUD.

Right now neither are good enough to make me switch from Weave, but both do a few unique things worth mentioning. FLUD, is fantastically designed. But its definitely a version 1.0 app, very slow and jittery, twitter integration is broken, and I can't view all sources in one feed. Its social networked, so if you build a decent group of like minded individuals, you might get a decent feed of articles. At the very least, I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye out to see what they do over time with updates and improvements. The web site is also slick.

http://www.flud.it

Newser on the other hand has a nice Live Tile(thing is constantly updating), and an interesting concept of curated news, that is user categorized by voting(Most Hilarious, Scary, Brilliant, Depressing etc.)

Both are decent options. Weave still wins for me though.

Loxley

So my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade to my not-so-great LG Rumor Touch. The only problem? I'm on Sprint :/ Imagine my dismay when I checked Sprint's website to check out their Windows Phone 7 line-up...or lack thereof.

They have the HTC Arrive (joy) and that's it. Pretty depressing, and from what I can tell they have no plans to expand their WP7 offerings any time this year. I was genuinely considering supporting WP7 since I've heard great things about it, especially compared to Android, but man...Sprint, come on.

Anno

Apparently someone at Sprint had positive words regarding WP8 today. Hopefully that means additional phones come out once Apollo hits. For what it's worth, the Arrive is probably still a fine phone for most of what you'd want it to do. WP tends to run really well even on very aged hardware.

Troll

Banned
So my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade to my not-so-great LG Rumor Touch. The only problem? I'm on Sprint :/ Imagine my dismay when I checked Sprint's website to check out their Windows Phone 7 line-up...or lack thereof.

They have the HTC Arrive (joy) and that's it. Pretty depressing, and from what I can tell they have no plans to expand their WP7 offerings any time this year. I was genuinely considering supporting WP7 since I've heard great things about it, especially compared to Android, but man...Sprint, come on.

Right now I can only recommend holding off for a Windows Phone 8 device. If you have to get a new phone then your best bet today is probably the iPhone.

Commodore

Apparently someone at Sprint had positive words regarding WP8 today. Hopefully that means additional phones come out once Apollo hits. For what it's worth, the Arrive is probably still a fine phone for most of what you'd want it to do. WP tends to run really well even on very aged hardware.

Another option, you might be able to buy a used Arrive for under $150 outright from eBay or Craigslist, and test drive it till you see what Sprint's plans are later this year with WP8.

jedimike

So a few decent new News apps have popped up. Newser which was mentioned already, and FLUD.

Right now neither are good enough to make me switch from Weave, but both do a few unique things worth mentioning. FLUD, is fantastically designed. But its definitely a version 1.0 app, very slow and jittery, twitter integration is broken, and I can't view all sources in one feed. Its social networked, so if you build a decent group of like minded individuals, you might get a decent feed of articles. At the very least, I'm intrigued enough to keep an eye out to see what they do over time with updates and improvements. The web site is also slick.

http://www.flud.it

Newser on the other hand has a nice Live Tile(thing is constantly updating), and an interesting concept of curated news, that is user categorized by voting(Most Hilarious, Scary, Brilliant, Depressing etc.)

Both are decent options. Weave still wins for me though.

Thanks for the summary reviews. I'm currently using Pulse because I loved the android version but the WP version is not as good. I'll check out weave and newser.

As for games:

Wordament [is a must]
DODONPACHI MAXIMUM
Flowerz [fun, free game for playing while trying to fall asleep]
ilomilo
Fruit Ninja
Bullet Asylum
Taptitude
Words by Post

VanMardigan, nicely put together comment on TheVerge article earlier today. You had me very confused for the first paragraph, then the genius of the post came together nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom