• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
was that around the time of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWQ7Cfw0Qk&feature=player_embedded

I think he was on the rag the only reference to the reports of updates being blocked was just over 30 seconds... poor Paul being attacked so harshly

p.s. Brot I've not forgotten the other gifs, I've just been in and out of hospital so have really felt upto finishing them, but I will do I promise

The guy with the grey hair is dressed like a Catholic priest.

NeOak

Gotta love Windows Phone and its asshole in-call button placement.

I was on a call with the customer service department of my ISP, so i placed the call on speaker. When i tried to turn off the speaker, the fucking touchscreen borked and ended the call instead.

I hate WP7 right now. Place the end call button AWAY from the rest.

Commodore

I was on a call with the customer service department of my ISP, so i placed the call on speaker. When i tried to turn off the speaker, the fucking touchscreen borked and ended the call instead.

Quick! Hurry and upload a photo to Facebook faster than competitors! (call button placement could be improved certainly)

NeOak

Quick! Hurry and upload a photo to Facebook faster than competitors! (call button placement could be improved certainly)

The guy who made the in-a-call UI should be tortured for all eternity. Its not the first time that happens, but when i had to wait over an hour because i was being transfered around for each step... ugh

venne

You're holding it wrong.

Korey

Thanks guys, I tried both and I'm just gonna wait to see if either updates in a couple of hours.

Three hours later, and my live tiles still won't update :\

(Fake) Edit: I did once have an issue where all my tiles stopped working and had reverted back to a state from a few days previous. It seems that the issue might have been related to my carrier generating my statement, as once my bill was ready everything went back to normal.

I did make a long call yesterday and it hasn't updated in my online call records so maybe that's it, but I don't understand how something like that would affect background tasks.

Troll

Banned
Yes to swag, yes to thurrot and yes to josh.

If you guys are serious let me know, I'll get the domain but I can't design a site.

Troll

Banned
Will it be something more than just reposting articles from every other blog? :p

I don't see why not. I am sure we can come up with original content, editorials and of course news postings. Plus, you don't even have to quit the internet for a year!

Just a bunch of jaded Windows Phone users on a blog, what could be better?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just go back through the thread and post our awesome long rants as articles! Can't be any worse than Josh's Lumia 900 "review".

Edit: Or you can get a transgender, mohawk hair styled, faded stain hoodie interview dressing, choke chain wearing editor like Engadget. Man, the comments on Myriam's videos are brutal, but I'm pretty sure the "controversy" over her videos isn't hurting their traffic.

Troll

Banned
So we're trying to compete with WMPowerUser and hit new lows?

WMPU is shit, and yet it still gets attention. Imagine what a non shitty WMPU would be!

Actually let me do it for you, it would be GLORIOUS.

Just go back through the thread and post our awesome long rants as articles! Can't be any worse than Josh's Lumia 900 "review".

Edit: Or you can get a transgender, mohawk hair styled, faded stain hoodie interview dressing, choke chain wearing editor like Engadget. Man, the comments on Myriam's videos are brutal, but I'm pretty sure the "controversy" over her videos isn't hurting their traffic.

I actually ran into Myriam when I lived in SF.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
WMPU is shit, and yet it still gets attention. Imagine what a non shitty WMPU would be!

Actually let me do it for you, it would be GLORIOUS.

I actually ran into Myriam when I lived in SF.

I am in, if you need someone to make you look like the fox news of WP7/8

I don't see why not. I am sure we can come up with original content, editorials and of course news postings. Plus, you don't even have to quit the internet for a year!

Just a bunch of jaded Windows Phone users on a blog, what could be better?

and i get to be the token Android guy that used to love Windows Mobile but has hope for the future!

Commodore

A new challenger appears...tried a new twitter app, twabbit today.

Gist:

Twabbit is a fun full featured Twitter client for Windows Phone.

It is fun because you can customize a lot of it to your own taste, it even vibrantly changes colors according to your theme.

It is full featured, and here's why, in random order -

1. Fetch tweets at lightning speed, even with just an EDGE connection
2. Persistently present new tweet button that enables you to compose from anywhere inside the app
3. Quick reply bar for replying swiftly to conversations while viewing the tweet you are replying to, at the same time
4. Support for multiple twitter accounts
5. Support for user customizable single touch as well as multi touch gestures
6. Tired of nagging hastags or other social apps invading your timeline? Just mute them using Twabbit's "under the hood" mute feature!
7. Upload pictures swiftly without having to worry about the network and just downscale them automatically

Supported picture upload services - Twitter, TwitPic, yFrog

Supported picture previews - Twitter, TwitPic, yFrog, Instagram, 500px, pinterest, EyeEM and virtually any link that ends with a .jpg or .png.

A lot more fun features await you inside Twabbit. Download and enjoy the fun twitter experience!

TL;DR its surprisingly quick, from scrolling, to fetching tweets. Saves your spot. There's a crazy amount of options. It can pull in over 200 tweets per refresh, something Carbon still doesn't do, but what Cardon still does well that twabbit doesn't is have a nice distinct design. Twabbit's overall design is a little vanilla, but it does perform a bit better. Will see how it goes for a bit.

Not a fan of the app interface for Rdio.
Yeah? Which platform?

Rdio is much better than Spotify in my opinion because it focuses on letting you build and discover music in the cloud, whereas Spotify just focuses on searching and playlists for god knows what reason.

can someone give me a link to one of those twitter apps, i cant seem to find them on the web marketplace.

and:

My Omnia 7 Headphones broke and all alternatives I tried were either bluetooth (which i dont like) or the buttons dont work the way they should. the ones i have atm only know one action: every button increases the volume.

anyone know, which cheapish (~€30) headphones support all the functionality of the omnia headphones, or which ones work?

Talon

Yeah? Which platform?

Rdio is much better than Spotify in my opinion because it focuses on letting you build and discover music in the cloud, whereas Spotify just focuses on searching and playlists for god knows what reason.
Android, iOS. Its PC interface is tops.

I like MOGs interface the best.

Troll

Banned
can someone give me a link to one of those twitter apps, i cant seem to find them on the web marketplace.

and:

My Omnia 7 Headphones broke and all alternatives I tried were either bluetooth (which i dont like) or the buttons dont work the way they should. the ones i have atm only know one action: every button increases the volume.

anyone know, which cheapish (~€30) headphones support all the functionality of the omnia headphones, or which ones work?

Rowi

Carbon

Mehdoh

Twabbit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm using Mehdoh for now, but I hear it's like the 3rd best behind Rowi and Carbon. Mehdoh is straight free where the others are freemium though (ie free ad supported or a pay version).

That being said I sent a tweet out to the Mehdoh dev and he said he should have version "2.0" which is going to bring a ton of features and stuff out by the end of May.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm on mehdoh too. Its the fastest and smoothest and "free-est". Still, it ain't perfect and I'd imagine hardcore twitter users would be highly unsatisfied with the limitations.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With Nokia being able to rebrand the Marketplace, I hope they can give the option to use there own services for Local Scout. Using Nokia Maps to search for business, shopping, etc. is much better than Bing outside of Canada.

Klocker

Anyone watching the Bing Search summit?

You can go to www.bing.com/new for a sneak peak vid/notification. I'm still torn on Bing, but use it a lot because of my phone and the rewards program.

EDIT: Very social-search oriented.

nice

I converted to Bing after geting my Windows phone in 2010 and have not looked back... really well done

EXCEPT I opt out of al the social connection searching... I'm sure it's fun for some (younger users ;)) but I'm out on that

Troll

Banned
There is supposed to be an update soon. I mostly use the People Hub though.

Yeah the update sounds good.

Facebook said:
- Threaded messaging
Full Facebook threaded messaging including group messaging, all in a beautiful Metro style design.

- Tagging
Now you can tag friends and locations in your posts in the ‘with’ and ‘at’ format.

- Delete posts and comments
Use the tap and hold context menu to delete posts and comments from your wall.

- Active links in posts
Tap on links in posts to go directly to the content.

- Updates to the photo comments and likes page
The photo comments and likes page has been updated to match the posts comments and likes page. You can see a hint of the image at the top of the page, pull down and you can see the whole thing.

- And finally, by popular demand…
…you can now ‘like’ comments

Oh, yeah this makes me jealous.

Asjc-SWCEAEEwMA.jpg

frontieruk

I'm using Mehdoh for now, but I hear it's like the 3rd best behind Rowi and Carbon. Mehdoh is straight free where the others are freemium though (ie free ad supported or a pay version).

That being said I sent a tweet out to the Mehdoh dev and he said he should have version "2.0" which is going to bring a ton of features and stuff out by the end of May.

Mehdoh 2.0 is a bit special ;) very close to Gravity

Troll

Banned
I am still trying to find a person that's decent at web design and willing to work for free.

If you are serious about blogging about windows phone, pm me a couple people already have just need a couple more.

I'll get the domain and all that boring stuff, they are cheap anyways. Don't fight it, it will be fun.

<3

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It weird with Zune on my phone, when I would listen to an artist that didn't have an image it would still show the last artist that had pic on the tile. Now it just shows the generic tile with some artists. I wish they would update the artists in Canada.

Vanillalite

I am still trying to find a person that's decent at web design and willing to work for free.

If you are serious about blogging about windows phone, pm me a couple people already have just need a couple more.

I'll get the domain and all that boring stuff, they are cheap anyways. Don't fight it, it will be fun.

<3

Get a domain

Make Sure it has CPanel

Install Latest Version of Wordpress

Install a Theme You Like

Find someone good at photoshop who can create a nice banner

Install WP Addons

Create Content

Go!

PS: Having someone familiar with HTML/CSS is nice tho as you can edit the theme/template you choice to really fit your needs.

Troll

Banned
Get a domain

Make Sure it has CPanel

Install Latest Version of Wordpress

Install a Theme You Like

Find someone good at photoshop who can create a nice banner

Install WP Addons

Create Content

Go!

PS: Having someone familiar with HTML/CSS is nice tho as you can edit the theme/template you choice to really fit your needs.

Can I recruit people off GAF to help with that stuff or would it look bad?

Vanillalite

Can I recruit people off GAF to help with that stuff or would it look bad?

Just install wordpress on your own since it's basically a 1 step install, and then in the wordpress control panel you can basically preview a big ass list of themes or use the standard default theme. It also lets you basically click one button and install a new theme.

So you can do that on your own. GAF is usually pretty good about Photoshopping skills though. Just ask around I'm sure someone can create a pimp banner for you. Hell just look at all the shit Brot did for the OP.

Troll

Banned
Just install wordpress on your own since it's basically a 1 step install, and then in the wordpress control panel you can basically preview a big ass list of themes or use the standard default theme. It also lets you basically click one button and install a new theme.

So you can do that on your own. GAF is usually pretty good about Photoshopping skills though. Just ask around I'm sure someone can create a pimp banner for you. Hell just look at all the shit Brot did for the OP.

Thanks man, WaitingforApollo.com will be better for it.

My HTC Titan rebooted by itself today and now it's on an endless boot cycle. Tried using the hardware button method for factory resetting (vol up and down + power), but after the reset the boot cycle/loop persists. Only way to shut it down is by removing the battery. Anybody have any ideas as to how to fix the darn thing? XDA and google search aren't being too helpful. BTW it's totally stock and needs the updates that AT&T have been holding out on; no modifications, rom flashes, or forced updates on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom