• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
VanMardigan, nicely put together comment on TheVerge article earlier today. You had me very confused for the first paragraph, then the genius of the post came together nicely.

I get tired of the suggestion, even by some here, that because wp7 is better at those particular #smokedbywindowsphone scenarios, that those challenges are somehow bogus or not representative of things that people actually do and care about.

Edit: This article

Man, so many broken sarcasm meters in that article.

Also, lol

The Verge said:
Windows Phone has some fantastic features, but Microsoft's unlikely to start a fight it doesn't think it can win.

The Verge giveth, and the Verge taketh.

I've always said the Omnia 7 build quality was dogshit. The bottom piece just came off today and I have to find some cellotape to hold it in place.

Totakeke

I've always said the Omnia 7 build quality was dogshit. The bottom piece just came off today and I have to find some cellotape to hold it in place.

It's been fine for me, but just two days ago the screen suddenly got this washed out look like there wasn't enough power on the screen. Seems like something is loose in the phone, gonna get it checked.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia's version of Executive Caddie, Caddie+, just became available for Lumia devices. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

1. PGA TOUR
2. ESPN Fantasy Football
3. Groupon Major Update (6 months time exclusive)
4. AOL Entertainment Hub

Are you fucking kidding me? That would/will be a huge app, and it's Nokia exclusive?! I would use that all the time.

Speaking of ESPN, when you tap on a game, and it brings up the gamecast, box score, etc it puts an add right over where you have to tab to get to stats or other things about the game. It is the most baffling decision I've ever seen.

Weave
Rowi
Baconit
Netflix
Appflow (for other reccomendations)

I was going to mention Rowi. I've used every Twitter app that people have recommended in this thread, and it's still my favorite Twitter app.

GJS

Ok the battery ran out and now the phone doesn't charge :(

what do I do?

Keep plugging and unplugging the USB. Should get the screen to come on and vibrate, then you just leave it to charge until it turns itself on fully. Can also try a soft reset by holding power and volume down at the same time.

It's a weird problem with the lumia phones, don't let the charge drain completely and don't turn the phone off as it might not turn on again for a good 15-30 minutes.

PG2G

I can't wait for Thurrott to be wrong

Nokia's future is also clouded by the mysteries surrounding the upcoming Windows Phone 8, also known as "Apollo." While carriers such as Sprint and Cricket expressed enthusiasm over Windows Phone 8 at this show, Microsoft and Nokia won't admit it exists—which means they can't tell Lumia owners whether they'll be able to upgrade their phones. WP8 has been predicted to come out this September or October.

"Both Nokia and Microsoft understand the importance for consumers to keep their devices fresh and updated. Without any announcements being made, we're working to make sure people have fresh and updated experiences on any device they may have," Weber said.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404151,00.asp

Frost_Ace

Keep plugging and unplugging the USB. Should get the screen to come on and vibrate, then you just leave it to charge until it turns itself on fully. Can also try a soft reset by holding power and volume down at the same time.

It's a weird problem with the lumia phones, don't let the charge drain completely and don't turn the phone off as it might not turn on again for a good 15-30 minutes.

Ok thanks that worked, such a weird problem...

is there any way to have the facebook chat on the phone? I can't find it in the official app.

gcubed

Nokia is officially junk status for stock right? So... MS should just quit messing around, buy them, and compete with Apple directly. I'd switch on my next contract if I knew I could get a phone with non carrier riddled updates that isn't an Apple phone.

With all the carrier love coming out for WP8 though i'm resigned to the fact that this wont happen

Troll

Banned
Nokia is officially junk status for stock right? So... MS should just quit messing around, buy them, and compete with Apple directly. I'd switch on my next contract if I knew I could get a phone with non carrier riddled updates that isn't an Apple phone.

With all the carrier love coming out for WP8 though i'm resigned to the fact that this wont happen

This is a "getting the milk for free" scenario. Plus, I honestly think Nokia would be better off without Microsoft getting involved.

PG2G

I don't think the Microsoft producing both the software and hardware would make any difference as far as carriers are concerned.

gcubed

This is a "getting the milk for free" scenario. Plus, I honestly think Nokia would be better off without Microsoft getting involved.

yeah well, the getting the milk for free scenario has good apps being phone exclusive and is a stupid way to combat app quantity questions.

I don't think the Microsoft producing both the software and hardware would make any difference as far as carriers are concerned.

meh, i believe they need to support the phone as well and they could remove the carrier from the chain as far as updates go

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I think people forget (my self included) that MS is a software company nothing more. Aside from a few keyboards and mice.

I have honestly the feeling that Skype on Windows Phone is one of the worst Skype experiences you can have.

I think people forget (my self included) that MS is a software company nothing more. Aside from a few keyboards and mice.

Software, services, peripherals and that little Xbox 360 thingy.

PG2G

meh, i believe they need to support the phone as well and they could remove the carrier from the chain as far as updates go

If a company like Apple were to come around today and try to get the same deal they got 5 years ago, I don't think the carriers would let it happen. The Apple deal came with a lot of lessons learned for the industry.

jagowar

I have honestly the feeling that Skype on Windows Phone is one of the worst Skype experiences you can have.

skype for mango was sent to die.... I think they still made a huge mistake even releasing this app. They really should have never released it and waited for the true integration in w8/wp8 and let that be the first version. Releasing this broken version of skype has damaged wp's rep more than not putting it out would have.

gcubed

If a company like Apple were to come around today and try to get the same deal they got 5 years ago, I don't think the carriers would let it happen. The Apple deal came with a lot of lessons learned for the industry.

i love how the american government has such a hard on for physical-based MSOs but for some reason don't consider wireless service providers to be an MSO or an ISP for any kind of their ire. Can you imagine if Comcast tried to pull any of the shit the wireless carriers pull? They'd be front page news for weeks, hearings, trials, public floggings. Wireless? Oh, who is that?

dream

Microsoft should just buy Skype to ensure that Windows Phone gets a first class version of their software.

Troll

Banned
yeah well, the getting the milk for free scenario has good apps being phone exclusive and is a stupid way to combat app quantity questions.

That's true, but there really isn't anything stopping HTC or Samsung from doing it either. Well other than the obvious.

WSGfd.gif

Korey

So my live tiles stopped updating.

I have a weather app and MyStocks stock pinned to my home screen, and they're both not updating. The weather one will update if I click on it and go into the app, but the stock one won't.

Any ideas or solutions? Please don't tell me to wait for Apollo

dream

Ironically, Mr. Gruber seems less pessimistic about Windows Phone than Thurott.

As for time running out, I don’t think that’s quite Microsoft’s problem. I see no reason why, if they stick with it, Windows Phone couldn’t take off eventually, even after a few years of slow sales. One of the things that has made the mobile market so vibrant is that people buy new phones frequently — often every two years — and there’s relatively low friction to switch between platforms. Just because Windows Phone 7 hasn’t made a significant dent in the market doesn’t mean Windows Phone 8 is similarly doomed.

So my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade to my not-so-great LG Rumor Touch. The only problem? I'm on Sprint :/ Imagine my dismay when I checked Sprint's website to check out their Windows Phone 7 line-up...or lack thereof.

They have the HTC Arrive (joy) and that's it. Pretty depressing, and from what I can tell they have no plans to expand their WP7 offerings any time this year. I was genuinely considering supporting WP7 since I've heard great things about it, especially compared to Android, but man...Sprint, come on.

You feel my pain. It's likely there will be no other option until WP8.

MCD

I have a weather app and MyStocks stock pinned to my home screen, and they're both not updating. The weather one will update if I click on it and go into the app, but the stock one won't.

LOL

Disable/re-enable their live tile settings.

Which Weather app? It seems to depend on the dev. WeatherMaster has rarely failed me. Not sure about MyStocks.

ElNino

Check to make sure the background agents are still running.
settings->applications->background tasks

I believe background tasks will stop functioning if the app isn't opened at least once every two weeks, which I had happen to MyStocks once as well. In the background tasks settings I selected the option to resume the task the next the time the app is launched before launching the MyStocks app. After that, the tile began updating again.

(Fake) Edit: I did once have an issue where all my tiles stopped working and had reverted back to a state from a few days previous. It seems that the issue might have been related to my carrier generating my statement, as once my bill was ready everything went back to normal.

Korey

LOL

Disable/re-enable their live tile settings.

Check to make sure the background agents are still running.
settings->applications->background tasks

I believe background tasks will stop functioning if the app isn't opened at least once every two weeks, which I had happen to MyStocks once as well. In the background tasks settings I selected the option to resume the task the next the time the app is launched before launching the MyStocks app. After that, the tile began updating again.

(Fake) Edit: I did once have an issue where all my tiles stopped working and had reverted back to a state from a few days previous. It seems that the issue might have been related to my carrier generating my statement, as once my bill was ready everything went back to normal.

Thanks guys, I tried both and I'm just gonna wait to see if either updates in a couple of hours.

frontieruk

Should've seen him during the NoDo delay and when Mango was pushed back to Q1 2012.

was that around the time of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWQ7Cfw0Qk&feature=player_embedded

I think he was on the rag the only reference to the reports of updates being blocked was just over 30 seconds... poor Paul being attacked so harshly

p.s. Brot I've not forgotten the other gifs, I've just been in and out of hospital so have really felt upto finishing them, but I will do I promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom