• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is just Amazon? I'd be shocked if no-money-down pre-orders didn't manage to surpass the PS4 Pro. Comparing no-investment pre-orders with actual sales is hilarious.

jelly

Not bad, still think it's a bit scalp city with the Scorpio edition though.

If the black version takes it's time to arrive post release the thirst will be even stronger. Microsoft lined that up well.

I grow tired of fanboys. Sure its good news for MS and even e-bay no doubt. I really couldn't careless about if pre-orders are more than the Pro.

I care far more, that I've got a Pre-order and that the system will deliver on its 'promise' of 4K gaming and be being the best platform to make games on; That will do far more for the brand that some pathetic fanboy post about the most pre orders

Wait, what? 20%(1) of all PS4 sold since Pro launch, is a pro. Ok, let's do a little math then.

November 2016 surpased 50 million sold (2), and now there is around 60,7 (3) million total, meaning sales of roughly 10,7 million from NOV16 til now.

So, above 2,14 million pre orders? Goddam.

(1) https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/06/11/ps4-pro-sales/

(2) http://www.********.com/article/268...wii-u-global-lifetime-salesapril-2017-update/

(3)http://www.********.com

So sony doing BS on the 20% quote or are scorpios selling like super hot fire.

Take your pick, Gaf.

Chao

Absolutely nothing about xbox one x excites me, not the price, not the catalogue, not Microsoft themselves

But you have to take into account the jump between Xbone and xbonex is bigger than the one between ps4 and ps4 pro, so anyone already invested in Microsoft's ecosystem will love this update.

With ps4 pro the reason was 'i don't have a 4k tv anyway' but Xbone x represents a major improvement for games which were 720/900p or one with poor performance in the base model.

Fredrik

This is just Amazon? I'd be shocked if no-money-down pre-orders didn't manage to surpass the PS4 Pro. Comparing no-investment pre-orders with actual sales is hilarious.
Are you assuming that more people will cancel their preorders than place new preorders up until launch? If anything these figures will go up since X actually seems to deliver on it's promise going by DF comparisons and gamecom impressions. I'm guessing that the hype will actually go up, unless MS mess up somehow in PR the coming months.

Wait, what? 20%(1) of all PS4 sold since Pro launch, is a pro. Ok, let's do a little math then.

November 2016 surpased 50 million sold (2), and now there is around 60,7 (3) million total, meaning sales of roughly 10,7 million from NOV16 til now.

(2) http://www.********.com/article/268...wii-u-global-lifetime-salesapril-2017-update/

World ≠ Murica

JayBabay

Congrats Microsoft, no matter how you interpret this, the result will still be very impressive and I own a Pro.

wapplew

How much stock MS ready for the holiday? Xbox one launch at 3m, I think 2-3m is reasonable guess for One X launch numbers this holiday.

But you have to take into account the jump between Xbone and xbonex is bigger than the one between ps4 and ps4 pro, so anyone already invested in Microsoft's ecosystem will love this update.

Spot on, exactly why I ordered the X, also having a 4K TV helps justify it

And this is where you're making the first wrong conclusion.
Probably best not to take anything wapplew says seriously. As far as I can tell, every single post of his is a troll.

Wait what? Am I reading this correctly, Xbox One X preorders are already higher than Pro numbers for this year to date (2017)?
Yes, for Amazon. Earlier in the thread, people have brought up several possible confounding factors: that preorders are zero cost on Amazon and thus some might not translate to actual sales; that there are multiple SKUs of Pro not included in the comparison; and that Amazon was out of stock on Pro for parts of the year.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned though--despite it being even more important to understand--is that Amazon rankings are unreliable as sales level predictors even if you remove all other factors.

For example, in 2017 Switch has two main SKUs on Amazon, at positions 6 and 20 for the year. PS4's two main SKUs are at positions 9 and 90.* Rank 6 is higher than 9, and rank 20 is much higher than 90...but Switch has actually sold ~10% less than PS4 in the US this year.

*There are other SKUs for both, but given they're all out of the top 100 they're very likely to cancel out or have trivial effect on the overall numbers.

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare XOX preorder numbers to Pro preorder numbers from last year? I know we don't have those numbers but the metric being used here seems pretty useless.
The best we can say is that Xbox is number 3 so far for August. Pro ended up number 5 for September last year (that was when preorders started). But there's no way to say which ranking is harder to achieve.

And besides, as I pointed out above, even if we knew the exact number of units for each and One X was higher, that still wouldn't necessarily mean that sales in November would be higher overall.

scoobs

I imagine the thirst from Xbox fans for something new, and most importantly more powerful, is real. Upfront sales are expected at any console launch, so we won't know if its a success until the dust settles and this things been on the market for many months. The good news here is, theres clearly demand for the product at least initially, so Microsoft has to be happy about that.

I imagine the thirst from Xbox fans for something new, and most importantly more powerful, is real. Upfront sales are expected at any console launch, so we won't know if its a success until the dust settles and this things been on the market for many months. The good news here is, theres clearly demand for the product at least initially, so Microsoft has to be happy about that.

I think also good pre orders and hopefully continued success post launch would mean that it'll be well supported in terms of features and upgrades for games...and maybe that'll translate to good PC versions for the Play Anywhere titles, rather than straight ports.

Does feel weirdly surprising that the XoX's pre orders on Amazon outstrip the Pro...but then I remember the Pro isn't exactly the big seller that the vanilla PS4 is. I'm pretty interested in the XoX but games like Scalebound being cancelled have soured me on some exclusives and I don't want to spend £450 for a temporary BC machine.

oti

Banned
LoL..the King is back. Why wouldn't ppl deposit/pre-order a multi-plat beast..makes all the sense. We all tired off this BS when a console struggles to play a goddamn gm..Now MS is , Handling it.
Did a bot write this?
That's impressive. Pro dropped the ball, it seems.
What.
GAF: Hold my beer.

I'm surprised we haven't seen the classic: "That's because PS4 owners were happy with the base model, XB1 owners aren't"
Whining about hypothetical posts sure is a great contribution to the conversation.

Kill me.

leeh

I'm surprised we haven't seen the classic: "That's because PS4 owners were happy with the base model, XB1 owners aren't"
Yeah, well I've seen the odd post around the power difference which I agree with.

Still, I just think they've hit it on the head with how much they've pushed this and how. The most powerful tag line is corny and reminds me of "strong and stable" but it seems to of done the trick from what we've seen early on.

Makes that E3 price thread very embarrassing in retrospective with all the "LOL DOA" posts for 15 pages.

I can't tell if you guys are actually interested in this tallest midget competition between two niche products, or just pretending in order to have something to argue about.

Yeah, well I've seen the odd post around the power difference which I agree with.

Still, I just think they've hit it on the head with how much they've pushed this and how. The most powerful tag line is corny and reminds me of "strong and stable" but it seems to of done the trick from what we've seen early on.

Makes that E3 price thread very embarrassing in retrospective with all the "LOL DOA" posts for 15 pages.

Well, yeah, but be it Gaf or Reddit etc...any forum on the internet is always going to be an incredibly small sample size. Supply post launch and demand will be more interesting...has there been a console from Sony/Nintendo/MS that's actually been DOA?

I can't tell if you guys are actually interested in this tallest midget competition between two niche products, or just pretending in order to have something to argue about.

You're implying we have something better to do? :p

Slight tangent, but looking at this top 100, how is the Xbox One S not even in there? The PS4 slim Uncharted 4 bundle is at number 9 by comparison. Are sales that bad for Xbox this year?

So, above 2,14 million pre orders?
Your calculation of how many Pros have sold roughly matches best estimates. But those are worldwide numbers, whereas the current thread is about the US. And those are total numbers, whereas the thread is about Amazon only. And most importantly, you counted all Pro sales, when this thread is only matching One X against its 2017 sales.

So sony doing BS on the 20% quote or are scorpios selling like super hot fire.

Take your pick, Gaf.
I reject your reality and substitute my own: the comparison is not viable.

Boost mode is not enhanced. Enhanced means they get an actual patch. ...They tested every released game as well for compatibility.
They have not tested every game yet, that's atill ongoing according to Albert Penello.

As for enhanced numbers, there are currently at least 200 released games enhanced on Pro. Microsoft's official list is 118 titles enhanced on One X. This will grow before launch, but it already includes 40 games that will not be available in 2017. Many of those, as well as some that are this year, will also be enhanced on Pro when they come out. Thus the ratio for at least a little while will be over 2:1 in favor of Pro.

Sweep14

How does that compare with PS4 Pro 2016 preorders ? Does the XB1X is more preordered in 2017 than the Pro was in 2016 on amazon ? Because if not than there is nothing to brag about imho.

wapplew

Slight tangent, but looking at this top 100, how is the Xbox One S not even in there? The PS4 slim Uncharted 4 bundle is at number 9 by comparison. Are sales that bad for Xbox this year?

I guess because you can walk in to your nearest game store to pick up One S anytime, you don't feel urgency to buy online.
One X pre order is unmissable.

zeopower6

The One S also was barely in last year's ranking in the 60s or so. People just didn't really buy them online.

Microsoft Manufacturing as Many Xbox One X Units as Possible; Response Was “Overwhelming”

A couple of days ago, during its pre-Gamescom live show, Microsoft opened pre-orders for the Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, and today DualShockers had a chat with Xbox Games Marketing General Manager Aaron Greenberg about the company’s expectations for the console.

Greenberg explained that, while Microsoft doesn’t know what kind of share of Xbox One family sales will be taken by Xbox One X consoles, they’re really trying to manufacture as many as they possibly can.

The response to the console has been “overwhelming,” with stock at several top retailers selling out right away in many countries.

According to Greenberg, the Xbox One X is Microsoft’s flagship and premium product, but they don’t want people to forget the benefits of the whole Xbox family, including the fact that all games and accessories work on both Xbox One S and Xbox One X, full backward compatibility of over 400 Xbox 360 games, and three generation of titles available to play with the addition of original Xbox games.

Bit more at the link below

http://www.dualshockers.com/xbox-one-x-overwhelming-response/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

leeh

When people say "DOA", they don't literally mean the system won't even be able to sell its pre-order allotment.
That's a bit pedantic, we know what everyone thought, the console would be a flop. It's not a flop though.

Well, yeah, but be it Gaf or Reddit etc...any forum on the internet is always going to be an incredibly small sample size. Supply post launch and demand will be more interesting...has there been a console from Sony/Nintendo/MS that's actually been DOA?
Yeah ofc, but it doesn't mean that the thread isn't embarrassing. The hate on the 1X after the price announcement was staggering.

That's a bit pedantic, we know what everyone thought, the console would be a flop. It's not a flop though.

I genuinely doubt anyone (or at least any reasonable person) thought the system's pre-orders wouldn't sell out. It could still be a flop. Wii U's pre-orders sold out very quickly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

You're counting from Pro launch, the Amazon ranking is counting for this year only.

Obviously it would be better with these Amazon comparisons if we could go back to compare against Pro sales from the time its preorders opened, but unfortunately we can't do that. We're comparing against 8 (presumably relatively quiet) post-launch months of Pro sales in 2017.

leeh

I genuinely doubt anyone (or at least any reasonable person) thought the system's pre-orders wouldn't sell out. It could still be a flop. Wii U's pre-orders sold out very quickly.

It's a good start it seems. But it's still too early to say this definitively
Understood. So GAF's definition of DOA is selling way better than expected in pre-orders and selling out of stock reserves in a very short period of time.

/s

You see why some people just get angry at how these discussions go?

Understood. So GAF's definition of DOA is selling way better than expected in pre-orders and selling out of stock reserves in a very short period of time.

/s

You see why some people just get angry at how these discussions go?

I mean, the exact same thing happened with Wii U. In fact, the Wii U's pre-orders sold out at GameStop quicker than the X, which you can still pre-order.

I'm not saying the system won't have a great launch, but that doesn't tell us all that much in the long term. I mean, it could have a great 2018 or a horrible one, but the fact that it's pre-ordering well really isn't an indicator of its long term performance. Heck, it's not an indicator of its short term performance (beyond the first month or two).

The Jason

Yep

Hell I pre-ordered the original PS4 and cancelled (didn't have the money at the time of release).

leeh

I mean, the exact same thing happened with Wii U. In fact, the Wii U's pre-orders sold out at GameStop quicker than the X, which you can still pre-order.

I'm not saying the system won't have a great launch, but that doesn't tell us all that much in the long term. I mean, it could have a great 2018 or a horrible one, but the fact that it's pre-ordering well really isn't an indicator of its long term performance. Heck, it's not an indicator of its short term performance (beyond the first month or two).
It's had more pre-orders than the 8 month sales of the Pro. How is that not an indicator of performance?

oti

Banned
It's sold more units in pre-order than 8 months of the Pro. How is that not an indicator of performance?

Dude, it hasn't sold a single unit. These are pre-orders. If you want to make this stupid comparison, use PS4 Pro pre-order numbers.

Hoo-doo

Banned

You might want to cool your jets a bit before claiming this thing a sales success based on commitment-free pre-order numbers, lol.

I'm convinced sales will be great at launch. The Xbox enthusiast crowd has built up substantial pent-up demand for new hardware. But beyond that I think it could be a really tough sell to the larger audience. Regular Xbox One sales have been dropping continuously and I doubt this consumer apathy is something that a 500$ hardware refresh is going to solve. It's certainly not just the hardware that is causing this decline.

Hence why Microsoft should be revitalizing the brand with more than just hardware. They also desperately need hallmark AAA games that can't be played anywhere else that dominate the conversation. Right now their current franchises are just nog generating that kind of buzz.

Top Bottom