• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

Leyasu

Banned
This is his favorite retailer
logo_basspro-01.png

Perfection.

If it does, that's what's sad and what was discussed ad nauseum (myself included) in another thread and what Colbert touched on in this thread.

All he did was make a post showing enthusiasm towards a product. He made no comment that compared it the a competitor or threw shade at any other product.

Yep, I read some of the other threads. I'm gonna no comment, no charge that.

From a business owner marketing standpoint it could be a valid strategy to focus available budgets to different selling points at different points in time to have a ongoing and uninterrupted story/narrative.

But I doubt it was initially planned this way as the release schedule has really taken some hits. What they do now is to play the strength of the technical aspects as good as they can and support it by showcase titles like RotTR, GoW3 or the coming FM7 or AC:O (which by the way will blow your minds if not already).

Forza looks amazing. Still, without "teh exclusives" it's going to fly off the shelves this year. Speaking of the 2018 line up, am I the only person that that halo 6 won't be there?

Probably been noted elsewhere but that pic shows a single PS4 Pro sku, bare-bones, no pack-in, no bundles, which I highly doubt is the only PS4 Pro package on Amazon. So its hardly a 1:1 comparison in terms of sales volume.

Once you click on that link it shows the other bundled SKU's so they are all counted from the same page. The PS4 Pro hasn't had many bundles worth buying that are any sort of real money saver though either.

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I think you're underestimating. I definitely expect well over a million for Xbox in November, more like 1.5m. But about 65/35 split with S over X, not the other way around.

1,5mn? Nah. Those are November 2015 numbers, and as Matt said if I remember correctly, that was some kind of freak month, a perfect storm, propelled by several major IPs and discounts. In order to get to 1,5mn units, XBOX One S would basically have to sell approx. the same as last November with your split, and I cannot see that happening.

watdaeff4

1,5mn? Nah. Those are November 2015 numbers, and as Matt said if I remember correctly, that was some kind of freak month, a perfect storm, propelled by several major IPs and discounts. In order to get to 1,5mn units, XBOX One S would basically have to sell approx. the same as last November with your split, and I cannot see that happening.

The new Minecraft box being discounted to $250 for Black Friday weekend would do it.

It won't happen, see my previous post

Fredrik

Again, saying "best selling" means that people have paid for it.

Post should say Xbox X unpaid pre-orders are outpacing the best-selling PS4 Pro SKU on Amazon US YTD 2017.
Why is this important, do you honestly think that more people will cancel their Project Scorpio edition preorders than people will place new preorders going forward? In the end I think we can just assume that all these preorders will turn into sales. And when all preorder slots are filled MS will open up preorders for the regular Xbox One X too, which we can assume will take the preorder figures even further, which will also turn into sales unless the PR message is signifcantly hurt for some reason. At this point there is no reason to assume that the preorders will get cancelled and nobody will fill in the blank spots.

Leyasu

Banned

I'm sorry, but matt doesn't know the future. I'm not saying that I do or that ms will move millions of boxes either.. just, wait and see.

I thought that Matt was a dev?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Once you click on that link it shows the other bundled SKU's so they are all counted from the same page. The PS4 Pro hasn't had many bundles worth buying that are any sort of real money saver though either.

Strange, did the US store not get the Zero Dawn bundle? Sony was pushing that pretty hard in the UK, and with it offering better value I'd have thought it'd have sold most. Have to admit it was that (and Nier: Automata launching so close time-wise) that got me to pull the trigger and upgrade.

I'm sorry, but matt doesn't know the future. I'm not saying that I do or that ms will move millions of boxes either.. just, wait and see.

I thought that Matt was a dev?

Matt from NPD, not banned Darkwing Duck Matt (hope he comes backt at some point!). I believe it was in one of the sales predicition or discussion threads were he mentioned that November 2015 was unlikely to repeat itself - at least in 2016.

Leyasu

Banned
Matt from NPD, not banned Darkwing Duck Matt (hope he comes backt at some point!). I believe it was in one of the sales predicition or discussion threads were he mentioned that November 2015 was unlikely to repeat itself - at least in 2016.

Thanks dude

watdaeff4

Strange, did the US store not get the Zero Dawn bundle? Sony was pushing that pretty hard in the UK, and with it offering better value I'd have thought it'd have sold most. Have to admit it was that (and Nier: Automata launching so close time-wise) that got me to pull the trigger and upgrade.

In the US the upcoming Destiny 2 bundle will be the first new SKU for the Pro outside the initial "base" SKU. (someone feel free to correct me if I'm incorrect)
For example, in 2017 Switch has two main SKUs on Amazon, at positions 6 and 20 for the year. PS4's two main SKUs are at positions 9 and 90.* Rank 6 is higher than 9, and rank 20 is much higher than 90...but Switch has actually sold ~10% less than PS4 in the US this year.

Not to go too far off-topic, but...

More than likely, the main reason the PS4 outsold the Switch this year is due to (un)availability of the Switch. If Amazon got a disproportionate amount of stock compared to other major retailers, it's quite likely that's why you see the rankings as such.

EDIT: double post - sorry.

I did some maths.

PS4 had sold 53 million at the start of 2017. In six months, that number climbed to 63 million by the end of June. That means 10 million units in six months. With July and most August, that should give around 3 more millions for about 13 million PS4s sold this year.

About 20% of PS4s sold since Pro launched are Pros. Let's assume this percentage holds up for 2017 only (it should probably be a bit lower since it doesn't include the Pro launch) and that would mean around 2.6 PS4 Pros have been sold so far in 2017.

If Amazon is representative, we can probably estimate XBOX pre-orders to be around 3 million so far. Quite impressive.

Lol. Ok, I thought that I recognised the name.

Still, posts like that are like tapping on a hornets nest.

Yea, because the post isn't really based on reality? Like most of his posts.

Do you expect posts like that to get a free pass or something?

Dredd97

LoL..the King is back. Why wouldn't ppl deposit/pre-order a multi-plat beast..makes all the sense. We all tired off this BS when a console struggles to play a goddamn gm..Now MS is , Handling it.

you have to win a generation to be the king.. MS is still the pretender to the throne :)

I'm an existing xbox one s owener and i've got an x on pre-order so i guess i'm one of the 80% who's upgrading.. (and I did the same with PS4 to pro too.. and don't regret that at all, excellent console, just wish it wasn't a bit noisy when it plays certain games)

farisr

I did some maths.

PS4 had sold 53 million at the start of 2017. In six months, that number climbed to 63 million by the end of June. That means 10 million units in six months. With July and most August, that should give around 3 more millions for about 13 million PS4s sold this year.

About 20% of PS4s sold since Pro launched are Pros. Let's assume this percentage holds up for 2017 only (it should probably be a bit lower since it doesn't include the Pro launch) and that would mean around 2.6 PS4 Pros have been sold so far in 2017.

If Amazon is representative, we can probably estimate XBOX pre-orders to be around 3 million so far. Quite impressive.
Let's do some more amazon maths. According to amazon charts, the Pro has sold more than Xbox One (that are readily available to purchase, not preorder) in 2016 and 2017. And if that "20% of all PS4s sold are PS4 Pro" figure is true, that would mean that the PS4 has been outselling the Xbox One by more than a 5:1 ratio in the US alone.

Amazon is really not a good representation of console hardware sales.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I did some maths.

Someone already tried this math earlier and there are many things wrong with it.

World =/= US
Amazon is only one marketplace
Pro was out of stock for several portions of the year on Amazon

Honestly, these numbers really don't tell us much. It could have a fantastic launch, but we don't know based on this.

I did some maths.

If Amazon is representative, we can probably estimate XBOX pre-orders to be around 3 million so fa
r. Quite impressive.

Am I the only one having a déjà-vu right now?

Btw, IF amazon is representative - XOX being slighty above PS4 Pro in the charts - that leads to a best case scenario of approx. 500k XOX preordererd in the US. Which indeed would be quite impressive. But your 3mn number for global preorders is just way off.

With D2 it would have to be unofficial since Sony has marketing, right? I’d bet there’ll be some sort of bundle with FM7 though.

Third party side, I'd think MS would bundle games like AC: Origins and maybe Shadow of War. Those seem to be two fairly prominent XB1X showcases (the former much more so).

In order to get to 1,5mn units, XBOX One S would basically have to sell approx. the same as last November with your split, and I cannot see that happening.
Well, it could be 1.4m total instead. But in general I'm basing this on an assumption that One X is not a very good candidate for customers new to the platform. Most people just now buying into the ecosystem will go for One S, leading that number to be only slightly down from last year. Meanwhile, about 2-3% of the existing install base will upgrade as soon as possible. Couple that with collectors, scalpers, and the portion of new customers that do spring for the premium box, and there's the number.

This story sounds plausible to me...though of course plausibility is a pretty rough guide to accurate predictions.

EDIT: double-post - sorry.
Regarding your Switch comment, of course there are other factors in any case. The point was that we can't know all such distorting effects, or their impact, thus making Amazon not wholly reliable in practice. (Which isn't to say that it means nothing.)

Dredd97

With D2 it would have to be unofficial since Sony has marketing, right? I’d bet there’ll be some sort of bundle with FM7 though.

I'm half expecting an assassin's creed bundle though, and next year an athem bundle (if anthem comes next year that is)..

Peltz

Not surprised. Xbox One X is a more compelling product than PS4P.

PS4 ecosystem is more appealing overall but Pro isn't exactly an exciting piece of hardware within that.

Dredd97

PS4 ecosystem is more appealing overall but Pro isn't exactly an exciting piece of hardware within that.

slightly ot.. Sony should put a PS4Pro -PSVR bundle for $500 (yes i know they won't but it would be an interesting package all the same)..

Third party side, I'd think MS would bundle games like AC: Origins and maybe Shadow of War. Those seem to be two fairly prominent XB1X showcases (the former much more so).

I'm half expecting an assassin's creed bundle though, and next year an athem bundle (if anthem comes next year that is)..

So There's hope for Assassins Creed and Forza 7..I'm just looking for another X but a bundle would be nice.

Any possible XBOX X bundles in US this Nov at launch ...Destiny 2,F7 perhaps?
If so, there's very little chance it'd be the "free game" type of bundle, or they'd have already announced it to dilute the sticker shock. It would be more like "save ten bucks" so $549 with a game.

...but I think they'll want to avoid a number starting with a 5, so I expect no bundles. Maybe retailer gift cards with it on Black Friday?

They usually do a "Buy an XBox One, get a free game of your choice" in September to combat the Destiny bundles/marketing by Sony
But One X isn't out until November.

Doesn't Shadow of War already have two separate One S bundles? Could be confusing to add another. In any case, for reasons stated above I don't expect any One X bundles.

Dredd97

So There's hope for Assassins Creed and Forza 7..I'm just looking for another X but a bundle would be nice.

well they're yet to announce the regular xbox one x atm, it's just the project scorpio LE that's available.. when the standard version get announced there will be bundles, Forza 7, AC, Shadow of War.. possibly a greatest hits edition which could come with enhanced versions of the Witcher 3, GoW 4.

Leyasu

Banned
Yea, because the post isn't really based on reality? Like most of his posts.

Do you expect posts like that to get a free pass or something?

Lots of shit gets posted on here, probably even more far fetched than his that get free passes. Unless of course, I visit the alternate reality gaf.

Lots of shit gets posted on here, probably even more far fetched than his that get free passes. Unless of course, I visit the alternate reality gaf.

You said, "tapping on a hornets nest." I'm telling you why it's not so much the hornets nest but the content of the post that people comment on (alongside who the poster is).

And lots more shit gets a pass? Okay. As long as we agree that it's a shit post, we're good.

watdaeff4

Hoping this doesn't open up a can of worms and wanting just the pure objectivity (i.e. tech related answers - not "more games, Halo/FOrza/Gears lol, etc")

From a "power/tech" basis, is there really that much difference? Asking for myself because I plan on upgrading one of the two, but not both.

To give a point of reference, I can't tell a difference in games between the OG PS4 vs. OG XB1 models. I'm suspecting it's going to be the same in the Pro vs. X comparisons (for me)

Trup1aya

I think a lot of this had to do with MS heavier marketing.

Beyond that - i can see 1X being a more attractive upgrade for a xb1 owner than the Pro was for Ps4 owners given the larger performance delta.

Hoping this doesn't open up a can of worms and wanting just the pure objectivity (i.e. tech related answers - not "more games, Halo/FOrza/Gears lol, etc")

From a "power/tech" basis, is there really that much difference? Asking for myself because I plan on upgrading one of the two, but not both.

To give a point of reference, I can't tell a difference in games between the OG PS4 vs. OG XB1 models. I'm suspecting it's going to be the same in the Pro vs. X comparisons (for me)
Are you talking about resolution? I guess there are dimishing returns, and I guess some people might not see the difference between 4k checkerboarded and native 4k.

watdaeff4

Are you talking about resolution? I guess there are dimishing returns, and I guess some people might not see the difference between 4k checkerboarded and native 4k.

Resolution - performance, etc.

EDIT: Also not all X games are going to be native 4K are they? Aren't some also going to be checkerboarded?

Do you own a Pro? If not, I'd say go for it as you'll definitely notice a difference from the OG X1 to the 1X.
No - I'm a Measly Amateur owner (bad joke)

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Resolution - performance, etc.

EDIT: Also not all X games are going to be native 4K are they? Aren't some also going to be checkerboarded?

I doubt there's going to be /that/ much of a difference between the two in those terms. I imagine X1X versions will have stuff like better foliage, shadows, particle effects, more NPCs, stuff like that. And yeah, AC Origins is already confirmed to be CB 4K. Here's a wiki list with more info - a lot of them are native it seems, but this isn't really official.

leeh

No - I'm a Measly Amateur owner (bad joke)
Nah, you'll probably see all the big 3rd party titles using CBR 4K, with more a handful being native IMO.

If you don't own the Pro, I'd say 100% go for it. Even if you use a 1080p TV, the IQ of a super sampled image from CBR4k/4k will be a huge difference from the OG X1 excluding all the toggle changes.

big_z

Most people can't tell the difference if not a side by side comparison. Hell i do some testing and product feedback on the side and playing across all platforms for various games the difference is often unnoticeable during play. The main thing that stands out for me is the quality of AA and texture filtering. Both go a long way at producing a cleaner image and the 1x should finally provide quality filtering for a console or at least it's a feature they've been marketing. Having a 4GB ram advantage will allow for higher quality textures as well but it won't be night or day.

Personally I would wait for more media showing how the power of the x improves games. It will have the best versions of multi platform games but don't expect a generational leap in quality. I'm also curious to find out how noisy the console is. The pro is annoyingly loud and I fear the same will happen with the x due to the cooling design they're using.

watdaeff4

Nice to see Xbox doing well but for me Im hoping Pro gets a price cut with X1X coming out.

As a potential buyer, that would be nice. but if Sony's strategy for the Pro is similar to what MS is likely with the X (i.e. trying to get as much money as possible from the enthusiasts) then I don't see one this year.

But yeah I'm hoping too. If not, for those that like Destiny, that Pro bundle (in the US, not for sure if it's available elsewhere) is actually a pretty good package.

As a potential buyer, that would be nice. but if Sony's strategy for the Pro is similar to what MS is likely with the X (i.e. trying to get as much money as possible from the enthusiasts) then I don't see one this year.

But yeah I'm hoping too. If not, for those that like Destiny, that Pro bundle (in the US, not for sure if it's available elsewhere) is actually a pretty good package.

Not sure about price cuts, but a proper $399 bundle is very likely, given that they already offered one last Black Friday.

big_z

Nice to see Xbox doing well but for me Im hoping Pro gets a price cut with X1X coming out.

A game bundle for Black Friday is likely the best you can hope for. Sony already has a $100 lead so unless X1x sales burn up the charts and pro sales slow down noticeably there's really no incentive to lower the price.

farisr

If you're trying to decide between a Pro and a X1X, and you can't tell the difference between OG PS4 and OG Xbox 1 comparisons, I don't think you'll be seeing that much of a difference in general between PS4 Pro and X1X comparisons either. The power differences are similar percentage wise and the vast majority of games will likely not be taking full advantage of either system, these systems will be on the tail end of optimization priority for most devs.

Here are the things you should be considering:

-First party titles, current and on the horizon, which system's interests you more? As those are the titles that will take most advantage of each respective hardware.
-Which platform do you play third party titles on the most for whatever reason (controller preference, friends play on it etc).?
-Do you want UHD bluray playback in this system (Pro doesn't have it)
-If the X1X does come out on top in any of the previous categories for you, is it worth the extra $100 to you?

watdaeff4

Not sure about price cuts, but a proper $399 bundle is very likely, given that they already offered one last Black Friday.

I don't think we got one in the US

If you're trying to decide between a Pro and a X1X, and you can't tell the difference between OG PS4 and OG Xbox 1 comparisons, I don't think you'll be seeing that much of a difference in general between PS4 Pro and X1X comparisons either. The power differences are similar percentage wise and the vast majority of games will likely not be taking full advantage of either system, these systems will be on the tail end of optimization priority for most devs.

Here are the things you should be considering:

-First party titles, current and on the horizon, which system's interests you more? As those are the titles that will take most advantage of each respective hardware.
-Which platform do you play third party titles on the most for whatever reason (controller preference, friends play on it etc).?
-Do you want UHD bluray playback in this system (Pro doesn't have it)
-If the X1X does come out on top in any of the previous categories for you, is it worth the extra $100 to you?

Thanks for the feedback (and to all the other feedback) but want to keep just with the tech and not the extras that could attract the wrong posts.

What you are saying on that note is what I'm suspecting (i.e. I won't tell a difference).

suicreeps

Still not really taking this yet, some people are doing some insane extrapolations, and I would like some info not regarding unreliable preorders

Top Bottom