• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

Leyasu

Banned
You said, "tapping on a hornets nest." I'm telling you why it's not so much the hornets nest but the content of the post that people comment on (alongside who the poster is).

And lots more shit gets a pass? Okay. As long as we agree that it's a shit post, we're good.

Shit post or not, anything the relates to certain stuff on here can infuriate the swarm lol

killatopak

Gold Member
na only or ww?

pro was out of stock the whole year in the asia/japan region. Sold out the moment a shipment comes in.

b0bbyJ03

oh wow, surprised to hear this. Didn't notice much enthusiasm for the X. Then again, I didn't notice much for the pro either I guess (even tho I ended up picking one up along with a 4K HDR TV).

watdaeff4

Hoping this doesn't open up a can of worms and wanting just the pure objectivity (i.e. tech related answers - not "more games, Halo/FOrza/Gears lol, etc")

From a "power/tech" basis, is there really that much difference? Asking for myself because I plan on upgrading one of the two, but not both.

To give a point of reference, I can't tell a difference in games between the OG PS4 vs. OG XB1 models. I'm suspecting it's going to be the same in the Pro vs. X comparisons (for me)

Wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question.

You might want to cool your jets a bit before claiming this thing a sales success based on commitment-free pre-order numbers, lol.

I'm convinced sales will be great at launch. The Xbox enthusiast crowd has built up substantial pent-up demand for new hardware. But beyond that I think it could be a really tough sell to the larger audience. Regular Xbox One sales have been dropping continuously and I doubt this consumer apathy is something that a 500$ hardware refresh is going to solve. It's certainly not just the hardware that is causing this decline.

Hence why Microsoft should be revitalizing the brand with more than just hardware. They also desperately need hallmark AAA games that can't be played anywhere else that dominate the conversation. Right now their current franchises are just nog generating that kind of buzz.

Which cleary you are not and never will be which is why I was always puzzled to see you in those topics, along with this one. The real test of course will be after Christmas and what kind of real demand there is beyond the enthusiast. I personally don't think this new system is going to send shockwaves throughout the industry but it is obvious many have tried their best to undersell it and continue to do so.

Has this forum not used Amazon as a barometer for sales - software and hardware for a while now? I'm sure I've seen people use Amazon data in NPD and other sales threads?

Has this forum not used Amazon as a barometer for sales - software and hardware for a while now? I'm sure I've seen people use Amazon data in NPD and other sales threads?

It's a good indicator of who wins in a month (generally). Not a good indicator of actual numbers, the gap or software sales.

MilkyJoe

Hoping this doesn't open up a can of worms and wanting just the pure objectivity (i.e. tech related answers - not "more games, Halo/FOrza/Gears lol, etc")

From a "power/tech" basis, is there really that much difference? Asking for myself because I plan on upgrading one of the two, but not both.

To give a point of reference, I can't tell a difference in games between the OG PS4 vs. OG XB1 models. I'm suspecting it's going to be the same in the Pro vs. X comparisons (for me)

Simplest way to look at it from a hardware perspective;

PS4 Pro = 2 x PS4 in power.

XB1X = 3 x PS4 in power + 4GB more (and faster) RAM + UHD Blu Ray drive

wapplew

No but it could keep selling out

Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Ori 2 early next year will do that. Not to mention unstoppable PUBG.
Forza Horizon 4 and Halo 6 and who know what else they announce at E3 for second half of 2018.
None stop hitting the market with high profile exclusives, it will be a crazy year.

Did people already forget, that the Amazon chart is not POS based?
It's an intelligent algorithm and anything, that sells a bif amount in a very short time is shooting up the chart, because it's also expected to sell more and charting higher than something else selling more over a way longer period of time.

I'm not 100% if this was just for the hourly or also monthly and yearly, but i strongly believe it's both.
The same happed to the Ps4 Pro last year. And that should be the benchmark to compare it with, even tho it's flawed because of different years.
I can't remeber where PS4. Pro showed up in the chart tho.

p.s. This does not mean Amazom charts are completely wrong, misleading and useless, just not a pure 100% POS ranking.

watdaeff4

Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Ori 2 early next year will do that. Not to mention unstoppable PUBG.
Forza Horizon 4 and Halo 6 and who know what else they announce at E3 for second half of 2018.
None stop hitting the market with high profile exclusives, it will be a crazy year.

If all of those come out next year, that's a pretty damn good year. And I'm even dismissing Crackdown in that as I wasn't a fan of the first game and the new one hasn't impressed me.

State of Decay, PUBG, Halo 6 and Horizon and I'm set. Will wait for consumer impressions on Sea of Thieves

I understand that, but none of those are sellers like halo. Just look at the switch, if it wasn't for Zelda where would it really be? You can't say Zelda hasn't helped sell the switch even more than it could have without it. That's why a system seller is always needed imo. It's only a positive

Somnia

If all of those come out next year, that's a pretty damn good year. And I'm even dismissing Crackdown in that as I wasn't a fan of the first game and the new one hasn't impressed me.

State of Decay, PUBG, Halo 6 and Horizon and I'm set. Will wait for consumer impressions on Sea of Thieves

Honestly the delay of Crackdown 3 was great for MS. They should now have 2-3 first party games in the first 6 months of next year and then Ori, Forza, Halo in the back half (and whatever else they announce). Plus PUBG is something they'll push and ride as long as it's only on their console.

2018 should be a good year for MS games wise.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Someone already tried this math earlier and there are many things wrong with it.

World =/= US
Amazon is only one marketplace
Pro was out of stock for several portions of the year on Amazon

Honestly, these numbers really don't tell us much. It could have a fantastic launch, but we don't know based on this.
If the numbers were really fantastic, I think Sony would let us know. I would say that like the reception around here and virtually everywhere, the Pro's sales are middling. It's just good Sony doesn't need it I guess.

pswii60

I understand that, but none of those are sellers like halo. Just look at the switch, if it wasn't for Zelda where would it really be? You can't say Zelda hasn't helped sell the switch even more than it could have without it. That's why a system seller is always needed imo. It's only a positive

I thought they'd be pushing out Halo 6 this year, given it's 2 years since Halo 5 launched. There was a 3 year gap between 4 and 5 but that included development time to move to the new generation with a brand new engine. It seems MS is giving the game more time, which will hopefully be just what Halo needs to return to greatness.
For amazon UK 2017 so far

SWITCH #6
PS4 #19
XBOX ONE X #43
PS4 PRO #61
SONY PSVR #70
XBOX ONE S #81

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames#1

Xbox One X isn't going to move any higher given it's now unavailable, unless more stock is released. That's a really poor showing for the S though, it seems many have been waiting for the X - probably because MS announced it over a year ago!

Amazon isn't a good metric to use when trying to workout how much a piece of HW is going to sell. Having said that I feel like this is a sign that the X is going to sell better than many anticipated (myself included). I'll take this with a huge grain of salt until I see actual sales numbers though.

watdaeff4

As someone who bought Switch day one; this is an extremely poor comparison.

You may personally be disregarding the multiplats or other games that are already going to be available Day one for the Scorpio but fact of the matter is they are still there

I thought they'd be pushing out Halo 6 this year, given it's 2 years since Halo 5 launched. There was a 3 year gap between 4 and 5 but that included development time to move to the new generation with a brand new engine. It seems MS is giving the game more time, which will hopefully be just what Halo needs to return to greatness.

Xbox One X isn't going to move any higher given it's now unavailable, unless more stock is released. That's a really poor showing for the S though, it seems many have been waiting for the X - probably because MS announced it over a year ago!
Haven't all mainline Halo games been 3 years between releases?

Yep, but it would have been nice to have a new gears or halo at the same time as the X. That's all I'm saying. Still, I'm excited to replay my enhanced games

Gowans

I think you have to take into account that this doesn't take into a account bundles on both platforms.

Every separate bundle of PS4 Pro or Xbox One, PS4 etc are counted as a separate item.

watdaeff4

Yep, but it would have been nice to have a new gears or halo at the same time as the X. That's all I'm saying. Still, I'm excited to replay my enhanced games

Well, if it makes a difference regarding Gears - it's getting an update and Gears 4 didn't sell well so this gives people a chance to try it out on the new hardware

I think you have to take into account that this doesn't take into a account bundles on both platforms.

Every separate bundle of PS4 Pro or Xbox One, PS4 etc are counted as a separate item.
I see this point thrown around but in US (which is the source of the thread) we haven't had any bundles except for the upcoming Destiny 2 bundle

Seth

I have one pre ordered, unsure if ill keep it or not. Just grabbed a project scorpio edition just incase. I really can't justify wanting one.

I bought one at launch, then I bought an S near launch as well. I played Ryse and Halo on the orignal xbo and thats it. On the S, I played GOW and now all I do is watch 4k blu rays. Halo was awful, GOW was really good but wouldn't have been upset if i missed it.

Looking at the stack of games I bought this year, almost all of them are exclusive to switch or ps4. So it almost seems like a waste to get it even for third party games, for me.

Why do i keep buying these things? I don't even use them :(

I wouldn't be surprised if halo 6 doesn't
comes out until spring 2019, they have to reinvent the single player logic and expand on 5. 4 year cycle will be worth it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
As stated by the author of the article, this doesn't really mean anything other than there's a good deal of interest - and that's a good thing.

Overwatch on PS4 has a higher sales rank on that list than Uncharted 4 does, and Uncharted Lost Legacy is apparently 30 ranks higher than either of them.

Like, it's a bunk list. The thirst for the Xbox One X is there for sure, but don't look at the best seller chart to confirm it.

watdaeff4

There was 5 years between Halo 3 and Halo 4 but we had ODST and Reach between those.

Gotcha, but that was also the change in Studios.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was just trying to make a point that a 2 year turnaround window was probably unrealistic

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One X outsells the PSPro eventually. Feels like Microsoft is marketing the Xbox One X far more than Sony has ever pushed the PS4 Pro.

Yeah and The X is a far better product than the Pro, can see it happening.

And that the X1X is a bigger jump from the X1 than the Pro is from the PS4. Can't see as many people settling for the vanilla version with more tangible enhancements.

Blam

Overwatch on PS4 has a higher sales rank on that list than Uncharted 4 does, and Uncharted Lost Legacy is apparently 30 ranks higher than either of them.

Like, it's a bunk list. The thirst for the Xbox One X is there for sure, but don't look at the best seller chart to confirm it.

I mean Uncharted 4 didn't get sold as much as it shipped with playstations.

blakep267

No but it could keep selling out
But they lucked into it by accident, that 2018 has everything that was delayed. Your Sea of thieves, crackdowns, SoD2 etc. then halo 6 and Horizon 4 also in 2018. Not saying the momentum is going to go all out but there's going to be more software releasing

You mean in the USA ?
The XB1X is not going to out sell Pro WW.
For eg Pro sold 220k in Japan so far and that is market where consoles are dead.
Mind you that almost 2 months worth of XB1S sales in there strongest market at it current rate.

Dredd97

coming out a year later and costing $100 it better be as well!...

just like the original xbox was a better product than the PS2, and i'm pretty sure the original xbox sold out it's pre-orders too..

but just like history, the xbox one x isn't going to move the needle sales wise.. the die is cast, the generation is over for xbox, they can settle for 2nd or 3rd again and be happy about it.

KORNdoggy

this...makes sense doesn't it. why wouldn't this be the case? the pro came out in September LAST YEAR. it's a niche product that has front loaded sales. sales have been dropping off since then because most of the people who wanted one, will have bought one....LAST YEAR.

lets see if the xbonex is even charting this time next year becasue i imagine the sales will be front loaded for that too and it'll be on a steadly decline from launch onwards, but it's at least a comparison that makes sense.

this is like being impressed/surprised by the switch selling better than the PS4 during it's launch period in 2017. lol one is likely reaching something of a market saturation, the other is fresh to the market. the outcome is obvious.

If the numbers were really fantastic, I think Sony would let us know. I would say that like the reception around here and virtually everywhere, the Pro's sales are middling. It's just good Sony doesn't need it I guess.

Pro has actually been selling really well all things considered. Since it's about 20% of PS4 sales, that means it's pulling about 200k world wide in sales every month.

And that's what makes the XB1X unlikely to topple it when it comes to sales despite the larger focus in marketing and strong preorder start. The Pro just has a way, way bigger base to appeal to, even if that appeal wasn't executed on very well.

Top Bottom