• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

The Production IG Kid Icarus shorts were pretty dumb, fortunately Studio 4C's was pretty nice. Hurry up and give me the Shaft stuff Nintendo!

(Watching an anime in 3D is pretty weird btw)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kid Icarus: Uprising: Medusa's Revenge Part 1 (this is the Studio 4C one): Much, much better than the P.I.G. attempt. It's a lot more serious without any humour, the animation is crisp, the art colourful, and it was surprisingly violent (omg dead peoplez). Also it had Medusa. Medusa is fucking hot (dat sex snake hair and sideboob omg).

Pit's design looks a little weird though. The whole thing still feels very pointless, but at least it didn't offend me like P.I.G.'s cartoon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It looks like some unholy hybrid of K-ON, Bakuman, Drrrrrrrrrr, and the 3D settings in Eve no Jikan.

(Will watch.)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regulus: Pretty sure the 4C short is only one part.

We should be getting the Shaft 2-parter next.
ADac3.gif
ok now i'm mad

/XX/

I'll take those over 3DCG zombie crowds any day.
Same here, same here...

Hey! Don't take a part of my post out of context like that... I meant to say "ultra smooth 'digital' pannings over static images", as in "zoom & pannings", both handled in the same way.

You people are going to make me despise this English language of yours! I can't express myself for shit.

cajunator

Banned
So I brought my blu-rays of Yu Yu Hakusho over to my neighbors house, and they love it! We got to the Yusuke vs. Guy with helmet fight in the Genki tournament. My neighbor calls it Yo Yo Hakushocku.

I also brought over FMP:Fumoffu and they really liked that too, the one neighbor liked it better than YYH. He hasn't seen a lot of anime.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is one of the funniest shows I've seen in anime. The characters are perfect for it.

What about RideBack? It's awesome. Motorbikes of sorts, an awesome female lead, a great OP (fuck any Mell's hater) etc etc.

Its a fun show. It's kind of different with the design of the cycle robots and the whole show is kind of "out there".

謎の彼女X TVアニメ番宣スポット
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cqqGThHTY

This looks interesting. Like there is some really dark twisted stuff hidden in the veneer of early 2000's era animation.

Fuck yes, best of the early troll characters right here.

Troll characters are the best. More anime needs troll characters. Lemon is kind of one. Unless by troll something else was meant. what is Medaka Box about?

This looks pretty cool. Will check it out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kid Icarus: Uprising: Medusa's Revenge Part 1 (this is the Studio 4C one): Much, much better than the P.I.G. attempt. It's a lot more serious without any humour, the animation is crisp, the art colourful, and it was surprisingly violent (omg dead peoplez). Also it had Medusa. Medusa is fucking hot (dat sex snake hair and sideboob omg).

Pit's design looks a little weird though. The whole thing still feels very pointless, but at least it didn't offend me like P.I.G.'s cartoon.

I keep forgetting to watch this. I need to fix that, are these on both JPN and USA 3DSs or just Japan?

ZetaEpyon

謎の彼女X TVアニメ番宣スポット
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cqqGThHTY

That voice really, really is not how I imagined Urabe sounding.

This looks interesting. Like there is some really dark twisted stuff hidden in the veneer of early 2000's era animation.

Dark and twisted are really not two terms I'd personally use to describe MGX. Well, maybe a little twisted. And yeah, it really does have an early 2000s look to it...

I'm pretty sure this was the point where I started actively disliking this show instead of merely being frustrated that it wasn't living up to its potential.
While it developed along different lines than I initially anticipated, I can't say I'm disliking it (outside episode 7). Right now it has that feeling of everything crumbling around the main characters which I always find compelling as the finale of a narrative.

What do you dislike about the show?

NewFresh

Hotarubi no Mori e

Strip club rules also apply to the spirit forest.

It was a cute short movie. I wish I had more to say about it, but it didn't really suck me in all that much.
The ending was still pretty affecting even thought it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone.

The visuals were very well done and at times I thought they were really gorgeous to look at. The art feels like it needed more of a magical feel and it just didn't have it. This isn't really a bad thing, more of a nitpick on my behalf.

I think the music was the real standout for me. It's filled with beautiful piano arrangements and the music swells just at the right moments. I would recommend people listen to the soundtrack even if you have no interest in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBulViyjZZQ <--My favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ypocLdJvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGdxnoRX4Y8

cajunator

Banned
Hotarubi no Mori e

It was a cute short movie. I wish I had more to say about it, but it didn't really suck me in all that much.
The ending was still pretty affecting even thought it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone.

The visuals were very well done and at times I thought they were really gorgeous to look at. The art feels like it needed more of a magical feel and it just didn't have it. This isn't really a bad thing, more of a nitpick on my behalf.

I think the music was the real standout for me. It's filled with beautiful piano arrangements and the music swells just at the right moments. I would recommend people listen to the soundtrack even if you have no interest in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBulViyjZZQ <--My favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ypocLdJvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGdxnoRX4Y8

This looks pretty intriguing. will check it out. Especially with those visuals and music.

NISA Fuckup #675948453284534 - House of Five Leaves DVDs are mono

Oops! I wonder when they realize that some basic QC is probably cheaper than having to offer a replacement program for every other release.

The offered me a replacement cover for Our Homes fox Deity and it was a nice gesture, but how many other releases have mistakes?

Another Episode 01

Dat eyepatch moe~

The atmosphere definitely comes off as pretty unsettling with the ambient background music aiding in that. The premise seems interesting enough to keep me wanting to see where the story goes so I'll keep watching this. I'm not sure what to think of the whole concept as of now. It don't think the underlying story could be as obvious as the preconceptions I have in mind by what's being shown so far but with these kind of shows I can never tell sometimes. I guess I'll wait and see and enjoy the ride till then. I did enjoy this episode overall though. And man, that ED is really nice.
You may find that the show starts to drag a bit, but keep watching.

DiGiKerot

The offered me a replacement cover for Our Homes fox Deity and it was a nice gesture, but how many other releases have mistakes?

The initial releases of Toradora (just the first set) and Persona -Trinity Soul- had replacement programs because there was a screw-up with the video which led to some interlaced frames being blended in a rather odd fashion.

cajunator

Banned
The initial releases of Toradora (just the first set) and Persona -Trinity Soul- had replacement programs because there was a screw-up with the video which led to some interlaced frames being blended in a rather odd fashion.

I didnt notice this in my Toradora set. Maybe I got lucky.
I ordered it pretty much when it came out though.

Branduil

Kid Icarus - Medusa's Revenge

It sure looked nice, but 3 minutes is not nearly enough time for the story they were attempting to tell.

DiGiKerot

I didnt notice this in my Toradora set. Maybe I got lucky.
I ordered it pretty much when it came out though.

It effected the whole initial pressing. It's the kind of thing that some people are impervious to noticing, but it immediately jumped out at me. The replacement disks look way, way better.

cajunator

Banned
It effected the whole initial pressing. It's the kind of thing that some people are impervious to noticing, but it immediately jumped out at me. The replacement disks look way, way better.

Is this still going on? Or has the replacement program expired?

I wasnt aware of this.

cajunator

Banned
Thing is, I did'nt really notice anything wrong when I watched it. Probably because my eyes are terrible. But what exactly was the perceived issues? Is there a side by side comparison of the quality?

Edit: now that I look more closely, it does look kind of off.
I guess I'll fill out the form, although its like 2 years late lol.
Probably going to tell me all the discs are gone.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Thing is, I did'nt really notice anything wrong when I watched it. Probably because my eyes are terrible. But what exactly was the perceived issues? Is there a side by side comparison of the quality?

I couldn't find any side-by-side comparisons, but this is supposedly a picture of the ghosting in Toradora:

cajunator

Banned
I couldn't find any side-by-side comparisons, but this is supposedly a picture of the ghosting in Toradora:

Uhh...My copy does NOT look that bad.
I guess I will just keep it.
the only thing is the show looks a bit dark/pale.
I don't remember if it's supposed to look that way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know if it's necessarily every second of the video that's affected, just certain scenes. If someone can pinpoint what episode is in that screenshot, you might be able to do a side-by-side comparison yourself.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know if it's necessarily every second of the video that's affected, just certain scenes. If someone can pinpoint what episode is in that screenshot, you might be able to do a side-by-side comparison yourself.

My copy DOES ghost at that particular part of the opening, but I'm not sure if its just the way the frames were put together.

Also, vol 2 does look much brighter and sharper.

Novid

Banned
Nah those have mostly dried up. They don't make any meaningful contribution to the overall market at all.

hafl the brothas and sistas that made all the good shit back in the 90's working for the americans. that money pot is needed. Should be NO SHAME making a anime from a game that sold 850,000 copies in 24 hours. Since when that became a problem?

DiGiKerot

The video on most anime DVDs is interlaced. If you take the raw, unfiltered video and look at it frame-by-frame, once every few frames you'll tend to see an image that has lines from two different pictures on alternating fields - that is, every even numbered line is from one image, every odd numbered line is from a different image - like this...

8IaR8.jpg

Whatever you use to play DVDs will normally do something clever (or not so clever) to process this fields in a fashion that you'll not notice.

The problem with the Toradora DVDs is that, for the interlaced frames, the two images that should be on alternate lines have been blended together - both images appear on each line, but merged together, resulting in a peculiar ghosting effect. Bear in mind that, in this happening, each line has effectively been doubled as well. Looks like this -

dq62Q.jpg

It gives the video an excessively aliased look - a lot of the fine line work has a slightly blocky look, and somewhat shimmers. It also means that fast motion in particular ghosts a lot, like watching something on an LCD display with a poor response time.

The thing is, some PC-based DVD players will deal with interlaced frames in the same fashion as is hardcoded on the Toradora disks, so a lot of people who use PC based players won't actually notice the difference.

Oh, and they also corrected the colour levels - whoever mastered the original disks turned the contrast up too high. The replacement disks look more muted, but that's how the show is supposed to look.

cajunator

Banned
The video on most anime DVDs is interlaced. If you take the raw, unfiltered video and look at it frame-by-frame, once every few frames you'll tend to see an image that has lines from two different pictures on alternating fields - that is, every even numbered line is from one image, every odd numbered line is from a different image - like this...

8IaR8.jpg

Whatever you use to play DVDs will normally do something clever (or not so clever) to process this fields in a fashion that you'll not notice.

The problem with the Toradora DVDs is that, for the interlaced frames, the two images that should be on alternate lines have been blended together - both images appear on each line, but merged together, resulting in a peculiar ghosting effect. Bear in mind that, in this happening, each line has effectively been doubled as well. Looks like this -

dq62Q.jpg

It gives the video an excessively aliased look - a lot of the fine line work has a slightly blocky look, and somewhat shimmers. It also means that fast motion in particular ghosts a lot, like watching something on an LCD display with a poor response time.

The thing is, some PC-based DVD players will deal with interlaced frames in the same fashion as is hardcoded on the Toradora disks, so a lot of people who use PC based players won't actually notice the difference.

Oh, and they also corrected the colour levels - whoever mastered the original disks turned the contrast up too high. The replacement disks look more muted, but that's how the show is supposed to look.

This doesn't look like my discs. I don't remember exactly when I bought the toradora set but I'm pretty sure I had preordered it. I do have that ghosting effect when I pause it in certain places, but it obviously hasn't bothered me enough to question it until now. I guess I'll just hold onto the discs as they are at this point.

I just hope my Fate Zero box has very high quality for the cheddar I just spent on it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hotarubi no Mori e

Did you know - the guy who played the Yokai also played Ichika (no echiiii) in Infinite Stratos!

DiGiKerot

This doesn't look like my discs. I don't remember exactly when I bought the toradora set but I'm pretty sure I had preordered it. I do have that ghosting effect when I pause it in certain places, but it obviously hasn't bothered me enough to question it until now. I guess I'll just hold onto the discs as they are at this point.

Well, those were screenshots taken by me from the replacement and original release NISA Toradora disks respectively, using a video editing tool rather than a player in order to not have any undesired filters or deinterlacing effects on the images. The ghosting doesn't apply to every frame, and isn't something that's going to be particularly visible as ghosting unless there is fast motion resulting in a large difference between successive images. The aliasing effect that resulted tended to bother people more.

I just hope my Fate Zero box has very high quality for the cheddar I just spent on it!

The 90 seconds of it I spot-checked yesterday looked fabulous~~~

cajunator

Banned
Well, those were screenshots taken by me from the replacement and original release NISA Toradora disks respectively, using a video editing tool rather than a player in order to not have any undesired filters or deinterlacing effects on the images. The ghosting doesn't apply to every frame, and isn't something that's going to be particularly visible as ghosting unless there is fast motion resulting in a large difference between successive images. The aliasing effect that resulted tended to bother people more.

The 90 seconds of it I spot-checked yesterday looked fabulous~~~

I'm rechecking episode one of Toradora now, specifically the shots you posted above and it does NOT have the ghosting effect right there. Maybe I do not have an affected disc. somehow. I order a lot of stuff though so maybe Rightstuf had some sort of fixed second batch when they offered it. It's perfectly watchable. no "shimmerinG" and action scenes are crisp.

cajunator

Banned
That's too much non-essential information for my tastes.
I can't tell the difference really.

Looking forward to watching Fate Zero again though.

cajunator

Banned
So many technical terms. no wonder I can't tell the difference!
So much of this is down to minute details that you really have to look for.

Thoraxes

High School DxD 11

That was a pretty awesome fight and fanservice. The way they sneak in panty-shots is great.

Also, that did not end how I thought it would at all. Next episode is gonna be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom