• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichibros 11:

Literature Girl wins the episode without even saying a word. Can someone explain to me why Karasawa tops the character poll when he's barely in the show (and presumably manga)?

So incredibly sad that this is over next week. Good comedy anime are a precious commodity and I'm not seeing anything of the sort in the spring season.

Shirokuma Cafe is an adaptation of a josei comedy manga with the director of Chi's Sweet Home and several voice actors skilled at humorous delivery. I don't know what the quality of the source material is like, but I'd say there's potential there.

Also, this is the perfect time to start watching Gintama. You can be all caught up by the time it comes back next year.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mouretsu Pirates 11:

I'm just not feeling this plot line anymore. Beyond the
loli vs. loli
absurdity, this just isn't the kind of thing that I want to see out of the show. The whole problem with this arc is that the Bentenmaru crew aren't really involved in anything. They're just the facilitators of the current plot, continuing to exist in the background as one-dimensional technobabbling talking heads as an ill-fitting character that was suddenly plopped into the show monopolizes all of the development and plot advancement. Sure, we're seeing Marika continue to develop as a pirate captain, but only in the most basic sense.

There's still a distinct lack of bodaciousness and space piracy, with the
political drama, mystery, and dramatic technological strategizing
that dominate the show in their stead failing to fulfill the show's potential. I'm not going to drop the show, but it's fallen from "kinda enjoyable" to "meh" over the past couple of episodes for me.

Guilty Crown 22 - end
tumblr_m1b3y0TCAy1r9c51co2_r1_500.gif

Overall I would give the series a 10 / 10. Visuals, friendship and bonds, action and intensity, and the experience in sound and drama was unlike any other anime that Ive seen before. I liked how focused it was for its episode count that surprisingly didnt even leave me begging for more. Character designs were great and most were memorable. Intriguing and unique series that Im glad to have watched and am dying to experience it all again for the third time dubbed, hopefully in english.

Favorite character(s): Ouma Shu (one of my top protagonists), Yahiro, Souta, Daryl, Kenji, Daath(sp), Gai
Honorable mention: Dan Eagleman, Rowan

On 22
Explosive, epic, intense and I had my volume so high it was immersive. Everything was a flurry of explosions, the stylish void accents, and colors.
Daryl was pretty cool and the moment with him and Rowan in the elevator made me cry. That was really touching and the way he looked, made it even more heart wrenching. Shu was pretty epic and that moment with Inori was really cool. The ending itself was shocking and nothing I expected. The savior of the world and death of Inori, wow. Not to mention even taking her blindness! They really wanted to eliminate all chances of a sequel and deliver something that people could have predicted. The song that went through the ending was nice as well as when Inori sang.

Deadly

I laughed hard at
Arisa's Void disappearing causing her to get shot
, harder at
"Deep down you're a cool guy, Daryl"

That was indeed hilarious.
Why didn't the guy just go with him in the elevator? Cause he totally stalled them for hours to let the other guy escape...

So im afraid to ask... but is second half of Guilty Gea---Crown worth a watch?

But wait... I completely forgot about what happened in the first half... which means I need to rewatch that.

My god.

Dynedom

But wait... I completely forgot about what happened in the first half... which means I need to rewatch that.

My god.

Part of me wants to be evil here but that avatar is too :cajun.

Avoid the series.

My god.

There is a 40 minute recap of the first half you could watch, ie, it takes lots of footage from episode 1, 2, and the episode prior to the halfway point, so I guess you just need to watch those three instead of the whole first half.

Makoto

Mouretsu Pirates 11:

I'm just not feeling this plot line anymore. Beyond the
loli vs. loli
absurdity, this just isn't the kind of thing that I want to see out of the show. The whole problem with this arc is that the Bentenmaru crew aren't really involved in anything. They're just the facilitators of the current plot, continuing to exist in the background as one-dimensional technobabbling talking heads as an ill-fitting character that was suddenly plopped into the show monopolizes all of the development and plot advancement. Sure, we're seeing Marika continue to develop as a pirate captain, but only in the most basic sense.
I sort of feel the same way. There are all these characters that were already established from the get-go yet we got someone new taking the spotlight. It's frustrating to see so many of the crew take the backseat, but it's still early I guess.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That was indeed hilarious.
Why didn't the guy just go with him in the elevator? Cause he totally stalled them for hours to let the other guy escape...

Such a joke. I didn't even know that guy's name.

My god.

Don't even consider it.

Uchip

Banned
People, lets rejoice with the good part of B★RS; the big amount of work done to make cool things with such CGI:

BRS01_001_CGW.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtpvIWV94Sk

BRS02_283_CGW.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNOU_w62NA

BRS03_189_CGW .mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhhQuXdTWI

BRSOP_026_CGW F.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZdQfn6FVQ

BRS04_002_CGW 3.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsroP2-_hpM

BRS04_303_CGW 3.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6mVcOsTtU

BRS05_143_CGW 4.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIds1GK_S50

BRS05_301_CGW 4.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiaWPOXI4w

BRS06_091_CGW5.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTj0olLvi4

BRS06_288_CGW5.mov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxZzM1nh0-0

『ブラック★ロックシューター』CG後記 | REGULAR | CGWORLD.jp
http://cgworld.jp/regular/brs/

Be advised; evidently, each title represents first the number of the episode and secondly the cut number, so the videos contain minor spoilers of their respective episodes... careful!

I like how simple the storyboard animation is
actually would like to see the full process of how its done rather than 4 separate comparisons

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shirokuma Cafe is an adaptation of a josei comedy manga with the director of Chi's Sweet Home and several voice actors skilled at humorous delivery. I don't know what the quality of the source material is like, but I'd say there's potential there.

Also, this is the perfect time to start watching Gintama. You can be all caught up by the time it comes back next year.

I'll give it a try. I don't know how well comedy with an all-animal cast is going to work, but I suppose I wouldn't blink twice at the concept if it was a Western cartoon, so there's no real reason for me to approach it differently just because it's technically an anime.

I've been intending to marathon Gintama for a while. I'm sure I'll begin some time in the next month.

duckroll

Does it explicitly state that it's an upscale in Japanese or something about lower quality elements? I find it hard to believe that they would lose all possibly elements for an HD transfer (OCN/interpositive/internegative/generational archival prints)

I know some companies put notices up in the announcements about older shows that were shot on 16mm so people can know it's going to look gritty and soft in HD before buying.

Yeah it does. I wouldn't phrase it that way if it wasn't literal.

"残念ながら、1987年に作られてたフラッシュバック2012版のエンディング(いわゆる完全版エンディング)はマスターフィルムが現存していないため今ある中で最良のマスターからのアップコンバート収録になります。"

Unfortunately, because the master film for the Flash Back 2012 edition ending created in 1987 (AKA the Complete Edition ending) no longer exists, this portion be an up-convert from the best quality master we have at the present time.

Instro

ooh milky homie talk reminded me to watch eps 11.

God of Lard.

WTF did i just watch?

Amazing.

What a world in which parodies of shounen final battles end up better than the real thing for the most part >.>"

When they go for action they do it quite well, so its always pretty cool when they do a sakuga episode. Last episode of the first season really rocks in that regard.

God of Lard is a pretty awesome villain.

Since Guilty Crown's simulcast is delayed, I am starting to rewatch Seitokai no Ichizon. I enjoy Seitokai no Ichizon breaking the fourth wall and all of those referencing other anime,
but most of all is the goal of a harem end!

NewFresh

People, lets rejoice with the good part of B★RS; the big amount of work done to make cool things with such CGI:

Be advised; evidently, each title represents first the number of the episode and secondly the cut number, so the videos contain minor spoilers of their respective episodes... careful!

This is great, after watching the first few episodes I was actually more interested in the process than the shows plot.

There was also a talk show, or something like one, where they went into the studio offices and BRS was being made. They showed a some nice comparison shots and a look into what they do to keep it from looking too cg. I wish I could find that link.

Instro

BRS 8

The colors dude, the colors.
Hyper Beam ending

Onward to the Guilty Crown finale so I can put newtamina behind me. I will get hurt and grow up in the world of true notamina.

Branduil

I like that we're all so used to Black Rock Shooter's abuse so far that we didn't even comment on how the otherworld never made any sense and all of the rules were arbitrary or unexplained all the way up until the end.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn 201-203 (end)

I guess a summation of the series would be: Amano throws away all rules when it comes to Logic, Space, and Time. Pretty funny anime, Tsuna was really cool animated and a nice protagonist. Kind of wish they animated Enma and beyond for the next arc and one thereafter, and the noncanon handling of things kept me watching and interested. 8.

Guilty Crown end

Wow. That... was... AMAZING. EXACTLY the kind of finale I was hoping for. So much going on and everyone
had their own significant battle to deal with.
The amount of craziness made this quite a bit more epic than I was expecting.
The hacking battle, Ayase's scuffle with Daryl, Shu vs Gai, Haruka pointing a gun at that other dude;
it was all carried out exactly the way it should have. I think what really made it epic was
Mana's dancing as the world got infected.
The music was just perfect for the last 5 minutes or so, and to top it all off,
the worst character died.
Seriously solid ending.

Overall, this series has been one giant roller coaster. Despite the rather shaky start, it really came into its own around the halfway point and just kept escalating from there. Great action and the characters really developed in a way I liked.

I was pretty impressed with how Shu developed. I mean it was all very bipolar, but the way it was executed really made me like the character even though I absolutely hated him at the beginning. Once
Hare died
, I stopped wishing he would become another Simon and started sympathizing with him and anticipating the direction his character would be taken in.
The loss of innocence, the consequences of that making him partially revert, the acceptance of what needs to be done;
it was all pretty interesting imo.

On the negative side of things, I wish Daath was fleshed out a bit more. I mean we really can't gather much about them from what we've been told, but it seems like a really neat plot point and a major wasted opportunity (provided the franchise is done with). I kind of relate it to the Geass in CG and how we really didn't get much history on them or C.C.

Speaking of which, I think my overall opinion of the show is pretty inline with what I thought of Code Geass. Satisfied with a few issues regarding certain characters/plot points not being fleshed out enough. Nothing to ruin the shows though.

So yeah, fun series with some beautiful visuals/battles and a great soundtrack. Definitely would have made my top 10 of last year if the first half was as good as the second half. Oh well.

wonzo

Banned
Kill Me Baby 12

only one episode left and i still can't work out why i even bothered to watch this far.

Watch the jdrama - it was noitaminA's first and only experiment with live action television. lol
i'll check it out after nodame cantabile and PGSM.

I like that we're all so used to Black Rock Shooter's abuse so far that we didn't even comment on how the otherworld never made any sense and all of the rules were arbitrary or unexplained all the way up until the end.
after a certain point the stupidity of the whole thing just didn't faze me anymore, it's certainly an amazing series in that regard.

zeroshiki

Asian live-action drama is awful.

Eh, its about aligning expectations. The Jdramas that become popular in the West are mostly the idol vehicles and/or manga adaptations and those are poorly acted tripe. On the flip side there are also some godawful American dramas which are analogous to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom