• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akiba's Trip 1 Simuldub

It's trashy, but it was also decently fun. I thought they did a good job with the English casting and some of the jokes were funny. I'll continue to watch this one for the time being.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 1 & 2

It's definitely inspired by AoT, but I like it. I think it stands pretty well on its own, for now anyway. I'm digging the art and Mumei is badass.

I did love the main character
saving people purely out of spite rather than true altruism

Ajin 14

Kei is a huge dick, but he's also clever. Seeing him paired with Ko is hilarious. Good start to the new season, and I like that everyone seems to be forming a truce against Sato for now. I did much prefer the opening for the first season.

Cornbread78

Cornbread, what OT's are you doing this season? If you aren't doing Konosuba Season 2, I'll do it.

We can just continue using the OTs from season 1 for Rewrite, Konosuba and Tales of Zestiria. I also made one for Blue Exorcist and will post it in the morning.

Links are in the OP.

Bedtime for me, lol.

Gi(a)rllish Number 1:
C1Yah02UsAAFEW7.jpg
C1YfSiVUUAAC-GA.jpg

That was a pretty fun first episode with some great faces. I mean, this is pretty much a literal talking heads show with very little going on outside of it (the direction is pedestrian at absolute best), but it manages to execute on what it is trying to do so well (be cynical about anime stuff with characters having shit eating grins) that I can't really fault it for anything. As a debut episode goes, it sets everything up really well and has me ready to come back and see more of the trainwreck that I'm sure this show is about to be.

Jarmel

Banned
Rakugo 8-9
The presentation of this feels really sloppy. Direction definitely doesn't feel as sharp as before.

Just T

Ajin: 15

Man, Satou is brutal. Also Kei's IBM really is out of control now, going to have to get that under control before they try something.

Quasar

Man, y'all just reminded me that I need to watch Amagami + at some point soon to see the second set of ships, lol

Edit:
Nevermind, SS+ just extends each girls arc by an episode or two with "future" events..

That's not really true. It does tell additional parts of the stories. I don't think many of them follow on from the end of the S1 stories though. And several of them are my favourite bits.

TUSR

Banned
We can just continue using the OTs from season 1 for Rewrite, Konosuba and Tales of Zestiria. I also made one for Blue Exorcist and will post it in the morning.

Links are in the OP.

Bedtime for me, lol.

KonoSuba is deserving of a new home. With a fresh coat of paint, or more.

Quasar

bleh hummingbird at some point changed their api again and then renamed themselves

A better name imo. With hummingbird any search just turned up articles about googles search tech. I'm really liking the updated version so far.

yeah.. viz media also just invested 600k into them
and I found out they consider steven universe to be anime :p

Well they class it as 'anime influenced'. I like that category, lets me include robotech. Of course where do you really stop with 'anime influenced'.

Line_HTX

Gravity Rush - Overture

This looked kind of cool in anime form. Definitely made for the fans eagerly waiting for the 2nd game. Otherwise, there really wasn't much substance and felt more like a Kamen rider routine with Kat and Raven.

a05mZ0u.gif

This is how I imagine darkside31337 stuffing a handful of pretzels and powdered white donuts.

Saprol

Whatever name it goes by, when will it ever be useful for those other than hipsters who don't want to use MAL because it is popular?
my initial reason for moving was because they insist on using the romanized title even when a series has an english name

zulux21

A better name imo. With hummingbird any search just turned up articles about googles search tech. I'm really liking the updated version so far.

Well they class it as 'anime influenced'. I like that category, lets me include robotech. Of course where do you really stop with 'anime influenced'.

I personally found it funny going through the anime influenced stuff to see a powerpuff girls special with a hentai picture with a lady with big exposed breasts that were censored for it lol.

MSMrRound

Hyouka episode 6~11

Good grief the amateur film made me kind of queasy watching it. <-I had some background in film studies and helped out a couple of productions so the effect was kind of increased somewhat.

Was glad to see all the other Classic Club members standing their ground and sticking it to Oreki regarding his theory. Shows that he wasn't infallible and was starting to show some signs of letting his ego go to his head...

...but damn at the way Erisu went to manipulate the Classic Club for her own purpose...obviously a lot of feelings were hurt. Whooo some of the comments that she typed on the message board.

Overall this arc wasn't as strong as the first one but wasn't too shabby in terms of narrative.

On to the much heard about Kanya Festival arc.

duckroll

Heinlein and Clarke are both massively popular in Japan with a certain scifi crowd. You can see their influences in a ton of anime and videogames.

Shergal

Hyouka episode 6~11

...but damn at the way Erisu went to manipulate the Classic Club for her own purpose...Chitanda was obviously not happy about it though. Whooo some of the comments that she typed on the message board,

If you mean the stuff near the end of episode 11, that was Oreki's sister on the chatroom.

Clov

Whatever name it goes by, when will it ever be useful for those other than hipsters who don't want to use MAL because it is popular?

Originally I moved from MAL to Hummingbird because MAL seemed to be lagging behind in updating the total amount of hours I'd watched (some sort of server issue). At this point I'm sick of how long Hummingbird is taking to add titles, so I'd love to move back to MAL.

Quasar

Originally I moved from MAL to Hummingbird because MAL seemed to be lagging behind in updating the total amount of hours I'd watched (some sort of server issue). At this point I'm sick of how long Hummingbird is taking to add titles, so I'd love to move back to MAL.

I think I moved because MAL was too old fashioned and there was much better mobile apps. Though for some reason I have felt the need to keep both updated. Thankfully the Kitsu devs have said they are working on a sync tool so when I update that it updates MAL for me.

Narag

Miss Bernard Said - Episode 7-12 (End)

Before I knew it, the series was over. Now I feel empty. I already miss the characters. I don't know what is particularly good about this series but it was somewhat charming. I wonder if Kanbayashi got fired for flipping that table... I think what makes the series work best is that each episode has a punchline of sorts at the end which is pretty funny in an unexpected way. Dat Interstellar name reference drop tho. Lol.

Is this going to get another 3 seasons like that climbing short show?

Do not go gentle into that good night

Saprol

Nodame Cantabile

I tried this mostly because I liked the OP and a friend suggested this would be good. It would have helped if I took even a cursory look at a synopsis online because I was expecting something a bit more serious or maybe a female main capable of some level of self-sufficiency. Even then these characters are really irritating. Worst cases being Nodame and Stresemann.

Jex

I think Starship Troopers is relatively popular in Japan. It was one of the main inspirations for Gundam, after all.

Sunrise later made a Starship Troopers OVA in 1988
StarshipTroopers(OVA).gif

Whose mechanical designs, in turn, were clearly very influential (Halo, anybody?).

Clov

I think I moved because MAL was too old fashioned and there was much better mobile apps. Though for some reason I have felt the need to keep both updated. Thankfully the Kitsu devs have said they are working on a sync tool so when I update that it updates MAL for me.

So I could move my list over and keep both updated? That could be interesting.

Jarmel

Banned
Rakugo 2-13
I finally got around to finishing it and it was all excellent I suppose. I do think there's a noticeable dip with episodes 8 and 9 where it dips way too heavily into the melodrama. It's not so much an issue with the writing but rather the direction in those episodes wasn't as tight as others before and after. The show leans on the theatrical side, no doubt intentional so as to reflect the performers themselves, and while usually this works, occasionally it does strike out hard. The tear licking scene in episode 11 snapped me so hard out of the episode that I accidentally hit the back of my head against the wall.
The art direction was overall very good although the last set of episodes took it to a separate level and the final episode was really fantastic. I was kind of stunned at how beautiful the backgrounds were in episode 13. I was also impressed by how well the character animation was throughout the series although I did notice a drop in some of the episodes in the middle around the 4-5 range I think. I was really impressed with that rakugo performance in episode 12 as it was fairly lengthy.
Honestly up to episode 10 while I thought the show was very good, it didn't have a strong emotional impact on me. I think though that the last flashback arc was probably the best set of all the episodes and really connected with me. The show definitely ended stronger than it started out. Seeing Sukeroku and Konatsu's relationship gave the show a needed oomph and energy. That's partially why I'm not particularly interested in going back to the modern era and the second half of episode 13 was jarring in that regards. The timeskip in the current era through me for a loop and I was scratching my head a bit for that last segment. I'm not sure how interested I am about events in present times but whatever, time waits for no man.

Quasar

So I could move my list over and keep both updated? That could be interesting.

Thats what they have said. Seems like a lot of work. And obviously wont completely sync given how strict MAL is. MAL doesn't have anime-inspired or korean titles for instance. And thats one thing I like about Kitsu, I can keep track of the korean comics I read for instance, none of which will get added to MAL.

Jintor

Pokemon Sun + Moon 1-7

So this is really dope actually. The writing is kinda bog standard and full of 'but wait what' moments, but it makes up for it with a lot of energy and a deft sense of direction. Aloha is even more lively than in the game and Ash hanging out with a group of kids who actually kinda feel school age is kinda fun (not having seen any Pokemon since, god, I don't know, Chronicles?)

The energy is really enjoyable and means I can just put it on on a second monitor while I grind some dumb jsrpg management thing.

Also the Japanese is pretty easy which is nice.

Firemind

Nodame Cantabile

I tried this mostly because I liked the OP and a friend suggested this would be good. It would have helped if I took even a cursory look at a synopsis online because I was expecting something a bit more serious or maybe a female main capable of some level of self-sufficiency. Even then these characters are really irritating. Worst cases being Nodame and Stresemann.
You never met girls who have bad cooking skills and litter their rooms with clothes before?

What are some good funny or battle animes that came out recently? Trying to find some for my wife.

She loved Psi Kaisi Kusou, Kabaneri, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho and Konosuba.

zulux21

What are some good funny or battle animes that came out recently? Trying to find some for my wife.

She loved Psi Kaisi Kusou, Kabaneri, Re:Zero, Mob Psycho and Konosuba.

is that first one Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan?

also it's not recent but if you liked that give school rumble a try. They have a similar feel despite the fact that school rumble isn't super powered focused.

I suppose attack on trains (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress) would count as a battle anime. it was decent.

My Hero Academia is a solid enough battle anime (though the second season will likely be far better)

Food Wars is a battle anime (it has some fanservice especially early on in season 1 but it gets much better season 2 came out in 2016)

Yuri!!! on Ice has ice skating battles and some good comedy. this one is full of manservice though :p

aka I am just going down my aoty choices and pimping them out where they fit lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For all the negativity I give SAO, at least I'm never annoyed by its fanbase, so it's actually rather easy to ignore...

...unlike another certain fanbase that just can't shut up and is starting to make me annoyed with a series I do like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom