• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might think that, but breast size jokes (and repeated breast fondling) are present in one of the most successful general audience films of all time, Your Name.

I haven't seen Your Name, so I won't pretend to be able to knowledgeably comment on the kind of sexual humor it contains. You can certainly find generally popular live-action films that indulge in copious amounts of low-brow sexual humor, but in quite a few of my personal circles that sort of thing is frowned upon and I would not presume to recommend such works to people at large.

John Wick?

Also, who really cares if you can recommend an anime to general audiences? That's hardly a good measurement of how good a show is.

It's not entirely a measurement of quality, but in this case the explicit sexualization of kindergardeners adds nothing positive to the work and indeed detracts from the positive themes of caring for others contained elsewhere, as it encourages the interpretation that the characters only care about each other to the extent that they can use each other to satisfy their lustful cravings, to say nothing about the pedophilia and rape connotations. This is exactly the sort of thing that people point to when they say that anime is a degrading and immoral medium, and while I think that's too broad a generalization there's really no defending the appearance of this kind of material.

trejo

Why, I have no idea why Duckroll just posted an image of a 100% original anime that is most certainly not based on any original manga material. No siree!

What an odd thing to bring up indeed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
a) lol at the thread title change.

b) Why are people turning on that KyoAni show mid-season? It feels like last week they were saving anime or whatever.

Probably the best possible scenario for a studio changing/adapting from the source material. Christ the manga end was awful.
Not to defend the manga or anything, but the actual ending doesn't end the way that most people think it ends.

Also, the movie goes the extra step by having the parents hook up to make it a super happy ending. lol

They need a second season!

duckroll

Why, I have no idea why Duckroll just posted an image of a 100% original anime that is most certainly not based on any original manga material. No siree!

What an odd thing to bring up indeed.

It's a test to ensure the Patriots control system is still working.

Thud

I cant wait to see the new YGO in action.
C4upSahXAAo7QBQ.jpg

I'm gonna pass. Haven't finished arc V yet.

Hmm while I haven't seen all of KonoSuba S1 all the art direction and animation talk makes me want to give season 2 a go. I just wasn't very fond of the extremely repetitive character shenanigans, in particular Darkness' masochism.

Is there anything more to her than that and Megumin's "explosion" respectively now?

Moaradin

Hmm while I haven't seen all of KonoSuba S1 all the art direction and animation talk makes me want to give season 2 a go. I just wasn't very fond of the extremely repetitive character shenanigans, in particular Darkness' masochism.

Is there anything more to her than that and Megumin's "explosion" respectively now?

no

Jintor

Kobayashi 6

That was simultaneously more tame and yet more disturbing than I was prepared for

Jesus those boobs are bigger than everyone's heads

Yeah I dunno Kobayashi, way to sabotage the goodwill you built up. Oh well. I'll keep watching, but this is a bit irritating

Jintor

I think the really weird thing is it treats it all the same way most kyoani sketch comedies treat their material but everything about the material is pretty disturbing

Pundere

Think it's time to take a break from Nisemonogatari and it's weird creepy sexualization of Shinobu and watch something more fun and lighthear-

Dragon Maid 6
God dammit.

Most of what I think about this has been said a dozen times already in this thread so I won't bother. This COULD'VE been a very cute, sweet thing but was instead handled in the grossest way possible. Dammit.

Seiren 6
Wow this arc is boring so far. The first arc was at its worst when it tried to do drama and this is just 90% that. It feels like they're just trying to eke some sort of tension out of the most asinine issues. What a letdown after the first arc was pretty fun.

Konosuba S2 6
Thank god not everything was a disappointment this week! The animation quality took a nice step up here (the lizard princess does a GOD DAMN INAZUMA KICK) and the gags are still on point. Aqua's smirk at the end is maybe the meanest joke in the show so far.

Qurupeke

I'm kind of curious how Nisemonogatari was received here when it aired. Just one episode was enough in Maidragon's case, though I suppose there was a shock factor too. But in Nise's case, it's like every episode had something questionable...

Well at least this Fafnir and nerdbro segment is heartwarming as fuck

It was, but it also reminded me of Welcome to NHK. I feel that the whole scene in the apartment was rather melancholic.

Jintor

Based on the preview it looks like lucoa's "joke" is gonna be the shota teasing.

Spare me.

Ugh, the kanna stuff could have been really adorable and instead it's creepy. Man...

Pundere

I wondered how a show could have the bromance/relationship between the nerd boys be genuinely endearing and in the same episode have two grade schoolers about to fuck.

But then I remembered that Otaku culture exists and I hate everything.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I misunderstood some people then, though I should clarify, when I talk about recommending to general audiences, I don't just mean because of lewdification or whatever. I mean, I wouldn't recommend Wake Up, Girl Zoo! to the general masses and, along with it being very tame, it's top of the pops. But it's not a show that would appeal to everyone.

Just found it surprising that many were bringing up the point that Dragon Mad was no longer a show they could recommend as a result of the latest episode. Being able to recommend a show has never been a factor I consider when it comes to the shows I watch, but I guess it's just because I'm used to watching niche of the niche shows. I barely get to talk about some shows I watch in this thread let alone in the wider world.

I just tend not to recommend anime, games or any kind of media at all. Trying to figure out people's taste is annoying even when given a list of things they like. Then you throw in my oddball tastes in the first place in addition to my nigh unshakable tolerance for 'otaku' or 'problematic' elements(Nothing that happened in this week's Maid Dragon bothered me at all or caused me to think of the show differently) in all types of media I just tend to keep my mouth shut.

Cornbread78

What's with the John Wick? Did an IRC joke leak into this topic or something?

No idea, it started popping up the other night and it's back; appears meaningless joking.

The title should read as Deen is saving anime/Saving the Winter season/Cleaning up after KyoAni's trash.

Oh of course everyone stops discussing Dragon Maid to have a big ol' Gundam chat as soon as I go to bed.

As far as recommending anime goes, I don't really think about it in terms of 'general audiences' or not. Just really about whether someone is comfortable with sexual content/how far that content goes.

I have two best friends, one who isn't at all comfortable with sexual content, and another who is, but can be pretty sexist about it.
Yamada's first time made him super uncomfortable to the point he accused its author of kidnapping men and sexually assaulting them in her basement.
So for the first I wouldn't recommend anything to him with sexual content and the other I'd avoid recommending sexual content that involves 'frisky women.'

I kinda believe people are too varying in terms of what they're comfortable with when it comes to sexual content for there really to be a universal cut off point that defines a "normal person or viewer.' I still haven't seen the Dragon Maid episode, but from the gist here I would at least say it gets harder to recommend Dragon Maid with Episode 6, then again the show has always had an undercurrent of sexual humor with questionable actions
Like when Kobayashi ripped Tohru's clothes off in the first episode.
So I'm not terribly surprised it's gone anywhere 'worse.'

Narag

One misstep and BAM, KyoAni ruined the season.

Dragon Maid can't ruin the season if you're not watching Dragon Maid.
BUe4R4b.png

No but as characters, they're handled far better now.

Recommending anime is easy.

Ask if they watched MHA
-if no, tell them to watch it
-if yes, did they like it?

-If no, laugh at them and slap them. Then never talk to them again.
-if yes, talk about how awesome MHA is and how you are now best friends. Then proceed to recommend other stuff from the conversation.

Easy.
I joke, I accept people who don't like MHA
, most of the time.

Also more on topic, unless I know that the person I speak too is not bothered by sexual content, I usually filter my recommendations.

KraytarJ

I feel like getting mad at Monogatari for having ecchi content is a losing battle, if that stuff bothers you then it's most definitely not for you and I mean toothbrush scene or not it's not a series you recommend to people not well-versed in what anime is. On the other hand up until the twister scene and then especially Lucoa'd shtick being revealed Kobayashi was just a fun dragon family sitcom, so being mad at it for that is perfectly reasonable. The twister scene in particular was disappointing because Kanna's friendship with what's her face up to that point was so cute, but then it got weird, and Lucoa just seems like a lost cause.

Szadek

Who is Dean?
They must be talking about Dean Winchester from supernatural.

Princess Precure - Ep. 24
With this episode, the Kirara x Towa ship was born.
But seriously this was a good episode the bonding between the 2 was super cute.
I wonder if the red haired woman will show up again. Her designs seems a bit too memorable for a one of side character

Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 19
What a twist. Apperently it was already foreshadowed awhile a go, but I missed it.
Besides that, the parts of the puzzle are slowly coming together, but there is still a lot left to explain.

I feel like getting mad at Monogatari for having ecchi content is a losing battle, if that stuff bothers you then it's most definitely not for you and I mean toothbrush scene or not it's not a series you recommend to people not well-versed in what anime is. On the other hand up until the twister scene and then especially Lucoa'd shtick being revealed Kobayashi was just a fun dragon family sitcom, so being mad at it for that is perfectly reasonable. The twister scene in particular was disappointing because Kanna's friendship with what's her face up to that point was so cute, but then it got weird, and Lucoa just seems like a lost cause.

I mean, it certainly became that over episodes 2-5, but the first episode was filled with a lot of weird/potentially uncomfortable content: Kobayashi ripping off Tohru's clothes, Otaku talk, Tohru cleaning all of Kobayashi's clothes with her tongue, boob jokes, etc. Not saying episode 1 contained as uncomfortable content as episode 6 has, but I don't know that I'd say it even begun as a fun dragon family sitcom. It just kind of pulled back on all that stuff after the initial barrage.

KraytarJ

I mean, it certainly became that over episodes 2-5, but the first episode was filled with a lot of weird/potentially uncomfortable content: Kobayashi ripping off Tohru's clothes, Otaku talk, Tohru cleaning all of Kobayashi's clothes with her tongue, boob jokes, etc. Not saying episode 1 contained as uncomfortable content as episode 6 has, but I don't know that I'd say it even begun as a fun dragon family sitcom. It just kind of pulled back on all that stuff after the initial barrage.
Yeah that's fair but even then it was still something you could find fun, Tohru cleaning Kobayashi's clothes in her mouth or Kobayashi and Takiya discussing maids in the most serious manner you could imagine were still fun bits. I wouldn't say it was as wholesome as it became but it certainly didn't forecast the twister scene, and Lucoa's character design was ludicrous from the start but it didn't forecast the weird teasing thing that happened (and will probably continue to happen), which is I guess more the point I was trying to say. That stuff just went way further in a much more troublesome direction than I thought it'd ever go.

Thud

I just tend not to recommend anime, games or any kind of media at all. Trying to figure out people's taste is annoying even when given a list of things they like. Then you throw in my oddball tastes in the first place in addition to my nigh unshakable tolerance for 'otaku' or 'problematic' elements(Nothing that happened in this week's Maid Dragon bothered me at all or caused me to think of the show differently) in all types of media I just tend to keep my mouth shut.

I would always recommend Sexy Commando.

LOVE ME DO

JulianImp

I haven't seen Your Name, so I won't pretend to be able to knowledgeably comment on the kind of sexual humor it contains. You can certainly find generally popular live-action films that indulge in copious amounts of low-brow sexual humor, but in quite a few of my personal circles that sort of thing is frowned upon and I would not presume to recommend such works to people at large.

It had a running gag of the boy groping his breasts in the morning whenever he swapped bodies with the girl. I also remember that being the very first thing Taiichi did in Kokoro Connect when he swapped bodies with Iori, which was really misleading since it was like the only instance of the show using that kind of out-of-place sexual situation for the sake of comedy (except for the groin kick scene, but even that made more sense in context).

I never expected "I somehow turned into a girl, so I'd better feel up my breasts" to be an actual anime trope, but it at least looks like it wasn't just an isolated case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom