• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Banned
Twin Star Exorcists ep.44
D8DHd2v.jpg

Oh fu(k off Rokuro, seriously fu(k the right off with that $hit. What a piece of $hit way to do that. I get it, I get what's running through your head, but fu(k right off with that. I'm more angry than I should be, but it's been 44 episodes now... @#$%@# %^@$^

Love all the censoring happening in this.

Think it's time to take a break from Nisemonogatari and it's weird creepy sexualization of Shinobu and watch something more fun and lighthear-

Dragon Maid 6
God dammit.

Most of what I think about this has been said a dozen times already in this thread so I won't bother. This COULD'VE been a very cute, sweet thing but was instead handled in the grossest way possible. Dammit.

If you're talking about the part with Saikawa & Kanna this week, I understand. From what I read in the manga, this was inevitable.

From my experience, there are anime a lot worse at showing pedoshit(see: Prisma Ilya). I initially came into this show expecting raunchy comedy and I got it. But the relative restraint KyoAni has shown is still admirable. I noticed that in those twister shots, Saikawa's reactions had the most visual weight and were much more of the focus. If this were done by any other studio, you'd be seeing a lot more nasty shit; I would have likely dropped Kobayashi-san weeks ago.

Wait hold on, Tohru constantly says that Kanna is still a kid despite being a dragon. Is she actually a thousand-year-old-dragon (trademark)? I mean as you said doesn't change much since foreheads still a kid but it would change how I see Kanna at least.

even if she does say that, i don't think it means much for how you would few her character. first, she'd be a kid in dragon standards, which doesn't make sense to compare (d for dragon). like, she's obviously a kid dragon, but she's also obviously not a kid. second, she occasionally talks about things that kids wouldn't talk about in a way they wouldn't talk about it. i'm only really thinking of three examples though, and one of them might be from the manga. but, when she's throwing those insults at kobayashi when they first meet, it doesn't look like a child using words they heard from somewhere and don't understand. the other is in the latest ep, where they don't give us her full sentence about what she wanted to do with forehead loli. if she's saying what we think she is, a child wouldn't say that. and the reason they hold it back is precisely because a kid wouldn't say it. with kanna it feels like they want to have their cake and eat it to, by trying to show her off as a child but making her unchildlike in various ways

Tonton

Thunderbolt Fantasy 01

This was.. pretty damn good already?
Fights were much better than what i was expecting from this format, really excited for the rest

these names are gonna be hard to keep track of

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm kind of curious how Nisemonogatari was received here when it aired. Just one episode was enough in Maidragon's case, though I suppose there was a shock factor too. But in Nise's case, it's like every episode had something questionable...
I seem to remember some people dropping the show, or at least there were some complaints. But I mean, if Bakemonogatari didn't lose you already, you were probably in for the ride.

Pundere

I haven't gotten to a toothbrush scene in Nisemono yet but I'm sure it's good wholesome Christian fun just like the rest of the series.

I seem to remember some people dropping the show, or at least there were some complaints. But I mean, if Bakemonogatari didn't lose you already, you were probably in for the ride.

The Nadeko Snake arc in Bakemonogatari was pretty bad, but the Shinobu bathing in Nisemonogatari episode 4 was worse. Indeed, that episode is the place where I dropped Nise and the entire Monogatari franchise until Kizu finally came out.

The Nadeko Snake arc in Bakemonogatari was pretty bad, but the Shinobu bathing in Nisemonogatari episode 4 was worse. Indeed, that episode is the place where I dropped Nise and the entire Monogatari franchise until Kizu finally came out.

Nise is probably better if you just skip all those scenes.

Nadeko Snake retroactively becomes good in Second Season

Qurupeke

Actually, I checked the 2012 threads, specifically on the Shinobu and the toothbrush episode. The first one was pretty much as I expected, a lot of posts were similar to the reactions on Maidragon. The toothbrush episode's reactions felt a bit different, though I suppose a lot of people had already dropped the series by then. lol

On a sidenote, I had quite the trouble finding posts without using the search engine, the thread moved wayyyy too fast.

phaze

Wing's a good show. I think people tend to hate on it because it was on Cartoon Network and was a casual's gateway to Gundam. But honestly, it's pretty good!

Being flawed is being human. When society expects too much of us, our response is to project what we think people want to see. It makes us robotic. Heero and Relena are like two ships at sea, with their navigational systems disabled, wandering lost until they find each other. It's a beautiful story of humanity and trust, expressed by the most awkward of people. Their struggle to cling on to who they are and define what they could be is also the story of humanity's history with war, a tragedy that is both beautiful and melancholic.

True art is meant to provoke. They don't just tell us stories or provide satisfaction we expect. They invoke emotions in us which we might not like, and make us confront our own feelings. They make us question, doubt, and judge. They bring out the worst in us, so we can discover the best in us.

Is there no low to which you'll not succumb ?

JulianImp

It was a Citizen Kane moment in Monogatari.

Good times, should watch that episode again in the near future.

I can forgive people for dropping the series due to Nise. I think the worst we got after that was Nadeko's twister scene in Second Season and everything Black Hanekawa in Nekomonogatari, right?

I think we could also blame Hachikuji for many of the more cringe-inducing ecchi scenes in the series...
so you could say her disappearance after second season might've helped make the series more wholesome, I guess?
But then she's back at the end of Koyomimonogatari, so we'll be getting more of her in the second season of Owarimonogatari.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually, I checked the 2012 threads, specifically on the Shinobu and the toothbrush episode. The first one was pretty much as I expected, a lot of posts were similar to the reactions on Maidragon. The toothbrush episode's reactions felt a bit different, though I suppose a lot of people had already dropped the series by then. lol

On a sidenote, I had quite the trouble finding posts without using the search engine, the thread moved wayyyy too fast.
Yeah, I remember people getting "excited", and it seemed to be some kind of big line... but I mean, if the constant talking and the various arcs didn't kill your interest in the show, then you probably had a high tolerance to anime anyway.

And yeah, 2012 was basically the peak before people moved on to alternate platforms and the threads calmed down. Good times. lol

phaze

I can forgive people for dropping the series due to Nise. I think the worst we got after that was Nadeko's twister scene in Second Season and everything Black Hanekawa in Nekomonogatari, right?

.[/SPOILER]

Clearly, first twenty minutes of Tsuki made you an amnesiac.

JulianImp

Clearly, first twenty minutes of Tsuki made you an amnesiac.

Rather than tolerance, I think I've actually forgotten most of the specifics of what happened in each episode, and only remember the gist of each arc. I remember Hana being fairly tame outside of some cheap yuri, only remember Ononoki's foot marking from Tsuki, and Owari as being fairly free of fanservice outside of the Suruga ero-slave stuff in Shinobu Mail, I think?

I think we could also blame Hachikuji for many of the more cringe-inducing ecchi scenes in the series...
so you could say her disappearance after second season might've helped make the series more wholesome, I guess?
But then she's back at the end of Koyomimonogatari, so we'll be getting more of her in the second season of Owarimonogatari.

Nise was basically the first Monogatari title with worldbuilding and the start of an overarching storyline.
It's in fact Nise is one of the most important Monogatari parts in the series.

If you don't like Monogatari being Monogatari then there is no reason to follow the series anyway.

Rather than tolerance, I think I've actually forgotten most of the specifics of what happened in each episode, and only remember the gist of each arc. I remember Hana being fairly tame outside of some cheap yuri, only remember Ononoki's foot marking from Tsuki, and Owari as being fairly free of fanservice outside of the Suruga ero-slave stuff in Shinobu Mail, I think?

I think you're forgetting a fairly long bath scene, unless I'm misplacing that and it happened in some other arc.

Qurupeke

NKQL5wu.jpg

JulianImp

Nise was basically the first Monogatari title with worldbuilding and the start of an overarching storyline.
It's in fact Nise is one of the most important Monogatari parts in the series.

If you don't like Monogatari being Monogatari then there is no reason to follow the series anyway.

Not that Bake was actually tame either (the very first thing we got to see was a slow motion shot of Hanekawa's panties, after all), but Nise ramped up the ecchi to the point were it got really unsettling since it got less slapstick-y and more harenchi. Hachikuji fondling scenes were already one of the worse parts of the series before then and Nadeko Snake was certainly bad in that regard, but I'd say Nise really takes the cake.

Which arc was the other bathing scene in? Tsuki, you mean?

phaze

Not that Bake was actually tame either (the very first thing we got to see was a slow motion shot of Hanekawa's panties, after all), but Nise ramped up the ecchi to the point were it got really unsettling since it got less slapstick-y and more harenchi. Hachikuji fondling scenes were already one of the worse parts of the series before then and Nadeko Snake was certainly bad in that regard, but I'd say Nise really takes the cake.

Which arc was the other bathing scene in? Tsuki, you mean?

Yeah, in which Koyomiand&Tsukihi errr bare most of what was there to bare.

Perhaps since the dawn of man, we have wondered if it's best to have a woman who can suplex you or a woman who is gentle and understanding.

Perhaps this question is encoded into our very genes. Could cavemen decide between strong fierce women who could suplex a sabertooth tiger or a kind gentle one who would care for him after he failed to suplex a sabertooth?

Cornbread78

Perhaps since the dawn of man, we have wondered if it's best to have a woman who can suplex you or a woman who is gentile and understanding.

Perhaps this question is encoded into our very genes. Could cavemen decide between strong fierce women who could suplex a sabertooth tiger or a kind gentle one who would care for him after he failed to suplex a sabertooth?

Why not both?

Perhaps since the dawn of man, we have wondered if it's best to have a woman who can suplex you or a woman who is gentile and understanding.

Yeah Tiger Mask W is pretty good

JulianImp

Yeah, in which Koyomiand&Tsukihi errr bare most of what was there to bare.

...Oh.

I barely remember the Araragis' interactions with each other, though. Maybe it's because my brain had purged out all the fanservice scenes between them, and those scenes ended up being most of their interactions or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom