• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Witch Academia 08

0UORm4Z.jpg
nGHHxY4.jpg
BlrtpAP.jpg
N193pqe.jpg

Trigger shifts to Imaishi style and suddenly its the best episode in the show. More like this plz

phaze

Who the hell is Hestia.

You'd think I'm watching enough awful shows to know that but noooooo.

-----------

Honestly, spring looks pretty barren on a cursory look. Maybe Deen will save anime again, this time with Kabuki. Tsuki ga Kirei and that monk romance thing seem not outright trash on first look too. + Virgin Soul

LWA 08

Can indeed confirm that was pretty great. The court/execution/theater/sleeping beauty sequences were pure gold.

Kenstar

Who the hell is Hestia.

You'd think I'm watching enough awful shows to know that but noooooo.

-----------

Honestly, spring looks pretty barren on a cursory look. Maybe Deen will save anime again, this time with Kabuki.

LWA 08

Can indeed confirm that was pretty great. The court/execution/theater/sleeping beaty sequences were pure gold.

It's not an AWFUL show but it's not a GOOD show
you've probably seen little ms titty ribbon and just dont recognize the name

Jex

So is LWA gonna be one of those shows people describe as a waste save for one or two episodes?

It's too early to declare that with any kind of certainty.

Although, at the moment, I have to say that the only episode that's worth watching is number 8. Everything else is completely forgettable.

Honestly, spring looks pretty barren on a cursory look. Maybe Deen will save anime again, this time with Kabuki. Tsuki ga Kirei and that monk romance thing seem not outright trash on first look too. + Virgin Soul

I am in partial agreement with you, in that spring doesn't seem to have a wealth of shows that stand out as looking interesting. But Kabukibu and Eccentric Family S2 are strong-looking enough that I'm not about to complain at this point. I'm curious about Atom the Beginning and Alice to Zouroku as well.

trejo

It's too early to declare that with any kind of certainty.

Although, at the moment, I have to say that the only episode that's worth watching is number 8. Everything else is completely forgettable.

Disagree. Even if you want to get super anal about it I think episode 3 is just as good if we're strictly following the basis of "fun" so that's at least two right there!

phaze

Spring looks barren?

IMO and all that but yeah.

There's plenty of fighting series that might be decent but I read the manga for BnH and AoT ,so there's a certain, large even amount of excitement that will be lost to me. It's quite the a different viewing experience.

Boruto will be trash. Not interested in BBB especially if it's a remake.

I wasn't all that hot on Eccentric Family but I guess along with Bahamut, they seem like two fairly sure shots at something pretty good. Rest is guesswork really but I suppose I always seem to find a show or two among those.

Danmachi was a generic LN show that had flashes of good stuff inbetween it's mediocre whateverness.

For example, the fight between Bell and the Minotaur is probably one of the fucking sickest animated fights of recent years.

Hestia's charming too, in her own titty kind of way.

I am in partial agreement with you, in that spring doesn't seem to have a wealth of shows that stand out as looking interesting. But Kabukibu and Eccentric Family S2 are strong-looking enough that I'm not about to complain at this point. I'm curious about Atom the Beginning and Alice to Zouroku as well.

I think a mark of a good season is having at least two shows you know you want to watch before the season starts. This season, I didn't know what I would be watching, but I ended up watching 5-6 shows. Next season there are about 3-4 I want to watch and I know I'll be picking up more shows as the season progresses.

I think next season is pretty strong all things considered.

P.A.Works will save anime!

P.A. Works always saves anime.

My only nearby screening is £11 (though, admittedly, I've seen it twice already :p)

:O

How is it?

Jex

I can't even remember many details about episode 3 of LWA TV, it's the broom race, right? I can see why some people liked it, but I felt that almost no part of that episode came together in a satisfying manner. It was yet another flubbed script what went nowhere and was filled with awkward side-plots.

LWA TV 08 - Diana isn't in it besides a parody so no one can worship the ground she walks on, and Akko doesn't immediately fail in the worst way possible at every turn and it was a good episode

hmmmm

Okay. I had a good weekend.

Now since Nintendoman and Cornbread brought it up a few pages back... I guess I'll start Yami to Boushi to hon no Tabibito tonight. For giggles. After that I think I'll start Nichijou. And if I want to continue banging my head against a wall after that I'll watch G Gundam.

Ascheroth

With you on that, episode 3 had plenty of great moments. Enjoyed the first episode as your typical introductory episode too.
Yeah, that too. I enjoyed 2 quite a bit as well (it had that glorious scene with the statue after all, and Diana hadn't evolved to Miss Perfect yet). 4-6 were mediocre. 7 was when Akko actually started trying, which made it immediately better and it had the amazing fish scenes.
So yeah, I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.

Danmachi was a generic LN show that had flashes of good stuff inbetween it's mediocre whateverness.

For example, the fight between Bell and the Minotaur is probably one of the fucking sickest animated fights of recent years.

Even if I've forgotten nearly everything about the show, I won't forget that fight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't even remember many details about episode 3 of LWA TV, it's the broom race, right? I can see why some people liked it, but I felt that almost no part of that episode came together in a satisfying manner. It was yet another flubbed script what went nowhere and was filled with awkward side-plots.

Supposedly Sucy learned the meaning of friendship in that episode as well!

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.83
x7XrTHm.png

#dead
Seriously Happy, you are da He-cat! This was actually pretty damn sad; you have to feel for Happy and Carla here, but that ending. Fu(king go get 'em Happy! When this show is good, it's really, really good.

Cornbread78

Still love watching that fight from time to time, excellent stuff...

DiGiKerot

How is it?

Love it - I'll probably see it again next month if I can get rid of some work obligations the one evening it's showing near here.

There's some stuff about the specifics of the adaptation which might smack a little weird for those going into it familiar with the manga, but I generally think they're sensible alterations. The material itself is a pretty great fit for Yamada's particular tendencies as a director, though - lots of leg-acting, really clever use of sound and music, some cool bits of impressionistic and abstract imagery that feels like it's feeding back from her love of things like Belladonna of Sadness a little, and humour that lands when appropriate. It's an impressive piece of film making, and it slays me every time.

Love it - I'll probably see it again next month if I can get rid of some work obligations the one evening it's showing near here.

There's some stuff about the specifics of the adaptation which might smack a little weird for those going into it familiar with the manga, but I generally think they're sensible alterations. The material itself is a pretty great fit for Yamada's particular tendencies as a director, though - lots of leg-acting, really clever use of sound and music, some cool bits of impressionistic and abstract imagery that feels like it's feeding back from her love of things like Belladonna of Sadness a little, and humour that lands when appropriate. It's an impressive piece of film making, and it slays me every time.

Yamada is one of the reasons I am really looking forward to it. She has contributed to some of my favorite KyoAni works like Air, Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya, Beyond the Boundary, and Hyouka. I see a lot of inspirations from Beyond the Boundary, Hyouka, and Clannad's animation in A Silent Voice. I think that is why I am so excited for it. That and I love the themes and type of story the movie is going for.

Hearing your impressions has gotten me a bit more excited! :D

IMO and all that but yeah.

There's plenty of fighting series that might be decent but I read the manga for BnH and AoT ,so there's a certain, large even amount of excitement that will be lost to me. It's quite the a different viewing experience.

Boruto will be trash. Not interested in BBB especially if it's a remake.

I wasn't all that hot on Eccentric Family but I guess along with Bahamut, they seem like two fairly sure shots at something pretty good. Rest is guesswork really but I suppose I always seem to find a show or two among those.
How can you know Boruto will be bad if it's anime original? Sounds like unnecessary negativity to me!

MSMrRound

Nah I have to disagree.

Out of all the LWA episodes out thus far, 1/3/7/8 have their own merits and were largely pretty enjoyable

Cornbread78

Yamada is one of the reasons I am really looking forward to it. She has contributed to some of my favorite KyoAni works like Air, Clannad, Haruhi Suzumiya, Beyond the Boundary, and Hyouka. I see a lot of inspirations from Beyond the Boundary, Hyouka, and Clannad's animation in A Silent Voice. I think that is why I am so excited for it. That and I love the themes and type of story the movie is going for.

Hearing your impressions has gotten me a bit more excited! :D

Sound like it could be excellent!

Okay. I had a good weekend.

Now since Nintendoman and Cornbread brought it up a few pages back... I guess I'll start Yami to Boushi to hon no Tabibito tonight. For giggles. After that I think I'll start Nichijou. And if I want to continue banging my head against a wall after that I'll watch G Gundam.

You have my sword...

Clov

Kenya Boy - Sweet jesus. So this is what it's like when Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director of Hausu directs an anime. From the ever-shifting art style, the weird fourth-wall breaks / knowingness of the weirdness, the live-action and 3DCG bookends, to the inclusion of
lizard people, nazis, and dinosaurs
, culminating in a
fight between a giant snake and a t-rex slathered in video effects before the protag and crew ride the half-pixelated glowing snake on a psychedelic tidal wave to safety
, this was just all over the place and I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Huh, I had no idea the director of Hausu did this. It kind of makes me want to give it a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom