• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planetes 2

In the first episode I felt the eccentricities of the characters were played up a little too much, but here they were toned down just enough that I could start believing in the cast. This episode convincingly depicted the camaraderie (and otherwise) that has developed among the employees stuck on this space station, and Hachimaki as the focus character was nicely fleshed out. His conflicted jealousy over the success of his friend and frustration over his own lack of progress made him more sympathetic than the jerk he came off as in the first episode. The mid-episode cut from his brawl to his accident 3 years ago across the eyecatch was a particularly clever move.

blurr

Tamako Market 05

Keeping in mind the movie sequel, this episode's love triangle makes for some intrigue on how the film might turn out.

C78HU9gXwAAdQZg.jpg

Mochizo and Midori's conversation briefly switches over to display body language/gestures analogous to something I've witnessed in other KyoAni shows(Euphonium comes to mind).

petran79

Banned
Girls und Panzer:

Man, this anime has so many little details.

Like, for instance, how Anteater Team are depicted as working out, when they're not playing video games. The reason for that is that their Type 3 Chi-Nu has a 5 (wo)man crew, but there's only 3 of them. This means they have to play musical chairs with the different combat stations in order to maintain any semblance of operational capability. So their physical fitness needs to be considerably above that of the other crews.

I remember the comment of one poster back then. When he saw the first seconds of the intro and heard "I can feel my wind", he thought she farted.

I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying the Maid Dragon anime a lot, which is surprising to me since I generally I don't enjoy this kind of stuff.

I also checked the Monster Girl one first episode and enjoyed it. I guess my tastes are just changing?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying the Maid Dragon anime a lot, which is surprising to me since I generally I don't enjoy this kind of stuff.

I also checked the Monster Girl one first episode and enjoyed it. I guess my tastes are just changing?
I'll pray for your soul.

Line_HTX

Do you like Rachnera as well? This is important.

;P

Eh it comes and goes for people. Sometimes I want to read/watch some really bad romance Manga.

I think I stopped enjoying them last time because I read a bargain bin Manga of a girl who meets the bad boy delinquent in school and thinks he's a brute, then she walks out during the lunch break and sees him literally feeding homeless puppies under the tree as he sparkles.

After that point nothing was as funny anymore. It destroyed me.

Accel World - Volumes 5 - 9

Uggggggh this series is so much more entertaining and fun than SAO will ever be.

I'm gonna be so mad if Sunrise keeps going after Love Live after Sunshine S2 because I really want to see an anime adaptation of Haru and Kuroyukihime fighting Moltres in space.

LWA TV 12

C78enD_UwAA-Yzf.jpg
C78enCWVYAEOEu4.jpg
C78enD_VUAAqOZi.jpg

SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA! SASUGA DIANA!

This episode had a lot of fun animation and good faces but eh. Akko turning into Diana for a while was supposed to show that being Diana kinda sucks because everyone relies on her for every little thing in this crap academy but it still feels like Medaka Box played completely straight

Szadek

You are now one of us. There is no turning back for you now.

NeonZ

Accel World - Volumes 5 - 9

Uggggggh this series is so much more entertaining and fun than SAO will ever be.

I'm gonna be so mad if Sunrise keeps going after Love Live after Sunshine S2 because I really want to see an anime adaptation of Haru and Kuroyukihime fighting Moltres in space.

Sunrise nowadays after the BNP split is pretty much a Gundam/Love Live factory. Meanwhile, BNP is more involved with works that are more mainstream or have merchandising focus. So, yes, it seems very unlikely. Their output together is clearly different from Sunrise's before the split.

zulux21

You are now one of us. There is no turning back for you now.

to be fair the monster girl show is actually pretty decent. Some good humor here and there and fun characters.
maid dragon is only barely watchable though. like it isn't actively bad, but it's not funny either and all of the dragons aren't very interesting. At least the main human is decent.

Jarmel

Banned
Classicaloid was a new IP. (I'm not sure how that ended up at Sunrise when it seems more of a Bandai Namco Pictures kind of project, but whatever.)

Yea that's pretty much it though. Even on the adaptation side if it's not Gundam or Love Live (well Code Geass now too) then it's seemingly not getting made.

Edit: Maybe something will come out of that Zegapain teasing. Although considering it's been awhile and there's been nothing, maybe not.

Yea that's pretty much it though. Even on the adaptation side if it's not Gundam or Love Live (well Code Geass now too) then it's seemingly not getting made.

Well at least I got the Inifinte Burst movie from them (which sucked because it was half recap episode half OVA), so at least they didn't TOTALLY ignore it.

zulux21

Yea Sunrise hasn't done shit on the new IP front besides Classicaloid. They've shifted gears to an extent.

they also did Magic-Kyun! Renaissance in 2016 but yeah they just do love live and gundam.
can't blame them to much both make them good amounts of money.

Edit: Maybe something will come out of that Zegapain teasing. Although considering it's been awhile and there's been nothing, maybe not.

They made Magic-Kyun Renaissance last fall too. But you're right that Sunrise is mostly focusing on big otaku-oriented Bandai IPs while other stuff like Heybot and Battle Spirits has gone over to Bandai Namco Pictures. It's all one big company in the end, of course.

Oh, and the Zegapain teasing was just for the recap movie, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is a great show, that I have seen get more negative feedback on reddit that I would expect.

I also finished watching all of Rewrite. The show is bad, but I still liked it quite a bit, with just how nonsensical it is. You just have to go along with the ride, and accept that the show won't explain shit.

Jarmel

Banned
They made Magic-Kyun Renaissance last fall too. But you're right that Sunrise is mostly focusing on big otaku-oriented Bandai IPs while other stuff like Heybot and Battle Spirits has gone over to Bandai Namco Pictures. It's all one big company in the end, of course.

Oh, and the Zegapain teasing was just for the recap movie, right?

People were hoping the Zegapain stuff was going to lead into a new TV series or project.

Jarmel

Banned
I pity the poor souls who were not alive for Geass Sundays. It was a time of great debates, controversies, insane theorycraft, memes everywhere and of sakuga plenty. Nina will forever live on in our hearts.

Line_HTX

I never heard of this site back then. But Geass Sundays were Godlike nonetheless.

No regrets ordering Pizza Hut on the day of the R2 finale.

zulux21

Rage of Bahamut fin

not a bad show, hopefully the second season is fun.
though only after finishing the show did I realize that Amira isn't in the second season, instead the person that looks like her is apparently Nina Drango.
which actually watching the trailer to season 2 now...
I don't think I have very high hopes.

seems that nina person is taking over as the main character and she doesn't look like a fun main character from the trailer.

oh well if it's garbage it will just be one less show to watch in a season loaded with shows I want to watch :p

Sunrise is giving me more Love Live Sunshine and Geass s3 so they are ok in my book.

Also Heybot. BNP counts as Sunrise right?

Yeah, that's kind of what we're talking about. The daytime/kids anime that Sunrise used to do have mostly been shifted to the BN Pictures moniker (Battle Spirits, Aikatsu, Heybot, Dream Festival).

Wood Man

In the past several seasons some of my favorites have been these lighthearted slice of life shows.

For example Interviews With Monster Girls, Poco's Udon World, Sweetness & Lighting, Flying Witch, Non Non Byori.

Any other recommendations for anime like these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom