• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

nah...
you are pretty much set until season 3 comes out once you finish CG.

the Ovas are alt universe and while some people enjoy them aren't important at all.

They're in the same universe, but I agree they're not too important. Just a different story told in an equally different manner. I think they're okay.

It is kind of funny how I've run across more people who like Akito in circles that don't particularly care for the original show though!

zulux21

They're in the same universe, but I agree they're not too important. Just a different story told in an equally different manner.

It is kind of funny how I've run across more people who like Akito in circles that don't particularly care for the original show though!

I only saw a bit of akito.
and only know a bit of about it. (it's on my list to watch at some point like many things lol though at this point I suppose I would just wait for the dub... though I thought it was already dubbed, but either way funimation just announced it for a dub to release in a few months)

but the bit I know makes it impossible for akito to take place anywhere during the original series o_O;

MAL also has it listed as alternative setting instead of sequel or prequel o_O

I mean it's not impossible I am misinformed, but the few people I know who has seen it has told me it's alt universe. just with a similar basis for the universe.

zulux21

Wasn't Akito supposed to take place between S1 and S2 of Code Geass? Haven't watched it, but that's what I had assumed.

i believe it is set during then, but the events that go down in akito don't fit within the knowledge of what happens in code geass in general. but perhaps it was supposed to and it was just some bad writing :p as I did see at least the first ep of akito.

duckroll

I only saw a bit of akito.
and only know a bit of about it. (it's on my list to watch at some point like many things lol though at this point I suppose I would just wait for the dub... though I thought it was already dubbed, but either way funimation just announced it for a dub to release in a few months)

but the bit I know makes it impossible for akito to take place anywhere during the original series o_O;

MAL also has it listed as alternative setting instead of sequel or prequel o_O

I mean it's not impossible I am misinformed, but the few people I know who has seen it has told me it's alt universe. just with a similar basis for the universe.

i believe it is set during then, but the events that go down in akito don't fit within the knowledge of what happens in code geass in general. but perhaps it was supposed to and it was just some bad writing :p as I did see at least the first ep of akito.

Look at this smart ass talking about a show he never watched like an expert. Lol. Let's laugh at him?

zulux21

Look at this smart ass talking about a show he never watched like an expert. Lol. Let's laugh at him?

At least I still pretend to watch anime instead of just rewatching sword of the stranger and pretending stuff like live action puppets is anime :3

and to be fair the best I can remember the first episode of akito is just a giant mess @_@ (I remember tons of people being super confused when the hell it took place back when it first came out lol)

duckroll

and to be fair the best I can remember the first episode of akito is just a giant mess @_@

I don't think any reasonable reaction to the first episode of Akito would be "it's a giant mess". That would be a really strange reaction to what is a totally straightforward introductory episode where almost nothing of note happens until the end, other than lots of world building busywork.

zulux21

I don't think any reasonable reaction to the first episode of Akito would be "it's a giant mess". That would be a really strange reaction to what is a totally straightforward introductory episode where almost nothing of note happens until the end, other than lots of world building busywork.

I still don't recall the first episode being very clear about when it took place, and looking at old forum posts about the show it looks like I wasn't the only one :p

to be fair it was also 5 years ago and that is a lot of anime episodes ago.

and also to be fair, I would call the first episode of fate zero also a giant mess as it's just a giant pool of world building that is hard to follow or care about for me and in general just causes my eyes to glaze over @_@.

duckroll

I still don't recall the first episode being very clear about when it took place, and looking at old forum posts about the show it looks like I wasn't the only one :p

to be fair it was also 5 years ago and that is a lot of anime episodes ago.

and also to be fair, I would call the first episode of fate zero also a giant mess as it's just a giant pool of world building that is hard to follow or care about for me and in general just causes my eyes to glaze over @_@.

Sounds like a personal problem.

DiGiKerot

A Silent Voice
It's not a perfect film though. I felt the opening moments were really rough. The direction was kinda erratic and there wasn't any good momentum until it started properly after the OP. The pre-OP and OP were really odd choices to open the film with because they felt totally out of place and got in the way of framing the narrative in an informative way. It almost made the film feel like a clipshow edit movie for a TV series instead. I'm also not a fan of how Yamada kept using that camera pan upwards to empty sky with lensflare shot. It felt like she used it 600 times in the film. Every other transition! The pacing in the film was strange too, since the story is very dense. They distilled a lot into the film, and packed them into story vignettes that sometimes lacked connective tissue or proper time lapses. That also contributed to parts feeling like it was an edited compilation of a longer series. Being bombarded by dense storytelling this way also made the film feel like it was 5 hours long.

I was willing to give the pre-OP more slack upon seeing the movie a second time because there's some interesting ways that they tied it into scenes later on in the movie visually that didn't immediately jump out at me the best part of two hours later during a full weekend in the cinema, but me just thinking that something is directorially cute probably isn't enough to particularly sway opinion on that.

The OP on the other hand, I do think is important in what it's trying to convey and didn't particularly feel out of place to me. That being said, I appreciated what it was going for a lot more going back to it having read the manga between screenings, so maybe it's a failure as a part of the film in its own right.

now hang on, i understood what the story was trying to do but that doesn't justify the incredibly slow pace towards the end and things that are brought into the story that weren't needed since they're never used (SPOILERS FOR THE MANGA IDK IF THIS REMAINS IN THE MOVIE):
why does the mangaka constantly tease his former "friends"? he never confronts them, they never confront him, its completely pointless, if you're not going to do something with them why have them lingering about all the time?

The movie is narratively and thematically pretty faithful to the manga, with the admittedly fairly massive caveat that the entire subplot of Nagatsuka making his short film is cut entirely, and the refactoring of the narrative that requires. It does mean that the movie doesn't always quite seem to know what it is doing with Mashiba, but then, his arc was never really the strongest anyway.

Oh, it also ends a few chapters (maybe a volume? I read the manga in bulk via CR after the fact so don't know where the breaks are) early.

I guess as probably the one person in here who has seen the movie and read the manga, I will say, for all that they have trimmed from the manga, Yamada's direction does add an awful lot to it. It's not one of those adaptations which slavishly adheres to the source, as if it were a storyboard - there's been a awful lot of thought out into how everything in the movie is framed. Admittedly, this does mean there's a few instances of stereotypical Yamada "here's a shot of a pair of knees for the next five minutes", but given how the main character in particular has issues looking people in the face, it's appropriate.

yami4ct

Been doing anime catch up here the last couple days. Watched a lot, but I hit something i had to talk about in particular.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 11

Man. What a masterpiece. Everything the show has built so far comes together in an absolutely beautiful half hour. I haven't been this emotionally devastated by an episode of tv in quite some time. Just in tears for most of the back half of the episode. Honestly, top in class form here. I can't same enough good things about it.

Nikodemos

Girls und Panzer:

Man, this anime has so many little details.

Like, for instance, how Anteater Team are depicted as working out, when they're not playing video games. The reason for that is that their Type 3 Chi-Nu has a 5 (wo)man crew, but there's only 3 of them. This means they have to play musical chairs with the different combat stations in order to maintain any semblance of operational capability. So their physical fitness needs to be considerably above that of the other crews.

Narag

Everyone's an expert.

So now that it's released, any news on the recently released Ghost in The Shell Blui-ray when it pertains to quality?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13306786&postcount=2

but the same thread talks about a new JP release next month that has the same a/v as the old releases but likely has the OG subs for a good price.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.19
lVarzYI.jpg

The
Ren x Nana
stuff at the beginning was very, very well done that showed just how deeply these two care about each other and where they stand in their relationship. That ending scene though, Nana x Hachi is the best ship of them all...

Cornbread78

Hummm while the song is nice; I am not a fan of the character designs. I think it's their eyes.

Go home, you're drunk!

Looks like it might be worth a watch. But I can't escape the feeling this is a harem.

I hear yeah, but I will accept it if the other girls are just constantly pushed aside for the main heroine.

It's tough to get my hopes up for a quality adaptation after how terrible all three "Romance/romcoms" were last season.

Fuuka, Masamune and Seiren were all meh at best.

Oh finally.
Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka? actual PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGfC2boki-I
It's pretty nice PV actually.

Should have guessed from the tin whistle that this was the Leprechauns show. Hmmm I never saw the Gunslinger Girls PV and my google-fu is failing me but I doubt there was this much schmaltz in that. I guess we'll see if this works out at "Shadow the Edgehog" levels of nonsense edge but so far I'll reserve judgement (thanks for that Admiral Woofington, I laughed so damn hard)

Cornbread78

That has to be the longest title I have ever seen. Is there an official abbreviated name for that one?

Yeah, here you go:

English: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?

Synonyms: SukaSuka, What are you doing at the end? Are you busy? Can you save me?

Nope Sorry... Watch the damn show though.

Cornbread78

Ben-To ep.3
GKHUFh8.gif

This show is so damn weird, but entertaining as hell. I'm not sure what the end-game is, but it should be a fun journey. Please tell me someone gets to slap around the School Rep for stripping and humiliating my man in the middle of class...

Blue Exorcist Kyoto arc END

Very sweet and happy ending. Rin finally got to see his beloved Kyoto Tower and got a nice talk with his brother.

That Shiemi completetly friend-zoning and being shy avout asking to be friends had me laughing so much. Rin and co are the best.

Hoping for another season even if chances of that happening are slim.

élDLIVE END

Eveb if this screams original ending I think it was really well handled. The way Chuta grew in confidense throughout the whole season felt really rewarding. They also upped the animation quality a whole bunch and pumped all my favorite endgame shonen moments in there. +1 for the heavyarms EW dakadaka moment(inspector chips finally looked really cool) and +1 for Chuta using the shining finger swords.

And through the dark times of thus episode the endgame comedy was on point.

You were cool élDLIVE. I kind of wish your anime was longer.

Naruto shippuden END

Man what an episode full fo feels...Naruto asking Iruka to be his father for his marriage was just so great, but really the moment that made my eyes full of tears was when the music kicked in at the end with Iruka and Kakashi talking and everybody celebrating. Finishing this with Naruto and Hinata hand in hand was perfect.

Naruto's cast is really great, I love them all so much.

I need that final episode ending creditless!!!

Clov

So it seems as though the upcoming Mind Game BD release will be handled over Kickstarter internationally. Anime Limited is in charge of fulfillment outside of Japan, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom