• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

The Tequila Gundam loses so fast we have no idea what its capabilities are.

Does its pilot at least go "ay ay ay!", "caramba!" or some other sort of generic Mexican one-liner upon his defeat? That would probably redeem him a tiny bit in my eyes.

The way culture and media represented cultural, racial and sexual differences a couple generations ago is one of the main reasons I can't really agree with people who think things were better in the past. I mean, there's lots of new things that are wrong with society nowaays, but I believe the way minorities (or just foreigners) got caricaturized and demonized back then was quite ruthless.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's definitely worth watching if you want to see a creative and fun spin on the Gundam franchise that has an actual well-written story and characters.

It's a welcome break from the typical Gundam formula/themes. But do be warned it's basically a super robot anime rather than real robot.

Worst gundam. It's a bad dbz rip-off.
Yes it's good. Watch it dubbed.

hmm, another 49 episode series... who needs free time right?
@_@
I'll have to take a break after Wing and come back to it some time

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 18
Ritsu and Mio playing Romeo and Juliet, but not they way you expect. Honestly it was great to see not only their relationship flipped on it's head but seeing both of them have to leave their comfort zones was pretty neat. Then there was a maid cafe. Really, it was a great episode.

Akibas Trip 13 (End)
VvHMqmd.jpg

cW2sJjH.jpg
The amount of references shoved into the finale episode was ridiculous. Just off the top of my head I saw Kill la Kill, G Gundam, and Gurren Lagann, but there were probably more I missed. That fucking Ode to Joy idol powered spirit bomb too, goddamn. The animation couldn't really keep up with what it wanted to do, but I enjoyed it all the same.

And that goddamn kiss scene that got cockblocked by a Back to the Future ending. This show had a lot of misses, but this finale was certainly a fun way to end it.

Cornbread78

Attack on Titan ep.19
Yes, yes you did...

Ahhhhh. Fuck off female psycho titan. Looks like they know and are
going to pull the human inside out of her. Who and why the fuck would they do this?
pretty messed up stuff.

Does its pilot at least go "ay ay ay!", "caramba!" or some other sort of generic Mexican one-liner upon his defeat? That would probably redeem him a tiny bit in my eyes.

The way culture and media represented cultural, racial and sexual differences a couple generations ago is one of the main reasons I can't really agree with people who think things were better in the past. I mean, there's lots of new things that are wrong with society nowaays, but I believe the way minorities (or just foreigners) got caricaturized and demonized back then was quite ruthless.

The thing about G Gundam's weird racial stereotypes is that it's mostly just window dressing. The characters may look like caricatures but they don't really act like them. I don't think it makes it ok but so far, every character in the show is fleshed out independent of where they're supposed to be from.

duckroll

Hypothetically, if Amazon somehow got every single show you planned on watching in a given season (say 8-10 shows), would you subscribe to Anime Strike for that season?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hypothetically, if Amazon somehow got every single show you planned on watching in a given season (say 8-10 shows), would you subscribe to Anime Strike for that season?

Considering I already have Prime...yeah probably.

I hate Amazon's player though.

zulux21

considering I don't have proper prime (I am still on an account share that was grandfathered in)

nope.

not paying that much just for a few shows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Yep. I would say my threshold is like, 4-5 shows, and I'd be hard pressed to find 4-5 shows to watch in a season.

I'd cancel Crunchy in the meantime though.

Considering I already have Prime...yeah probably.

I hate Amazon's player though.

Really? I love AMZNs player, especially since you can resize it in just a way that the subs can appear below the actual video, additionally having the pop ups of character names and actors makes it phenomenal for gathering information quickly.

AMZN and youtube have the best players imo (youtube for customization up there with Hulu).

--

Been paying for strike since day 1, have to support the anime industry and their efforts.

Clov

Not exactly anime related, but... it looks like I'll be moving to Japan for a bit in late July. I'll need to remind myself not to waste
too much of
my money on figures and Blu-Rays when I get there! I've never been there before, so I'm pretty excited to head there and start working.

What would get me to commit to Strike is if Amazon can work some voodoo to strike a deal with Aniplex. I'd love to be able to watch the dubs of stuff like Baccano and Kill la Kill legally. Them or Netflix.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What would get me to commit to Strike is if Amazon can work some voodoo to strike a deal with Aniplex. I'd love to be able to watch the dubs of stuff like Baccano and Kill la Kill legally. Them or Netflix.

Netflix gets most of Aniplex's stuff these days and they're apparently on good terms. No idea why they haven't added in KlK or SAO II's dub yet. It took them over a year to put in Blue Exorcists dub so never say never.

Since I have Prime, I guess I would. It's rare that there's anywhere near that many shows in a season that interest me, but in that scenario I definitely would.

Netflix gets most of Aniplex's stuff these days and they're apparently on good terms. No idea why they haven't added in KlK or SAO II's dub yet. It took them over a year to put in Blue Exorcists dub so never say never.

I guess the licensing deals with Toonami delays the streaming deals.

I wonder though, it looks like Madoka Magic is expiring after tonight. As that just normal for Netflix to renew again right after their shows expire?

duckroll

Since I have Prime, I guess I would. It's rare that there's anywhere near that many shows in a season that interest me, but in that scenario I definitely would.

Oh that's not exactly what I meant. 8-10 was a number I threw out because I think that's a decent number of shows an average dedicated anime fan would be interested in at least checking out in a given season, even if they end up dropping half. But I'm saying that if Amazon had like, pretty much every show you're interested in for that season, even if it's 2, or 3, would you sub?

I'm looking at the other replies and I think it's interesting, because it seems like people who already have Prime are likely to just jump on once the volume meeting their interest is there. But those without Prime find it a much harder sell (duh).

Do you think this might be a reason why Bandai bought out the Daisuki partnership wholesale? Because Aniplex wanted out?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Do you think this might be a reason why Bandai bought out the Daisuki partnership wholesale? Because Aniplex wanted out?

Sounds reasonable to me.

It's not that Aniplex has an exclusive deal with Netflix just yet, but it wouldn't shock me if that eventually did happen with all future streaming rights. If Netflix is shelling out money for an anime it's more likely than not something Aniplex did.

zulux21

They still get a lot of Viz stuff from the Neon Alley days, which I believe used Hulu's backend and was absorbed into them when they axed the service.

when the service was axed they made it sound far more like hulu just made them an offer they couldn't refuse rather than hulu saved them aka they only axed the service because hulu bought them out.

either way yeah hulu has a lot of the viz stuff.

They had exclusives? I thought all they got was funimation and crunchyroll handmedowns.

they had most of the viz media stuff that was on neon alley. I think they still have sailor moon.

I haven't looked at hulu in forever though.

Oh that's not exactly what I meant. 8-10 was a number I threw out because I think that's a decent number of shows an average dedicated anime fan would be interested in at least checking out in a given season, even if they end up dropping half. But I'm saying that if Amazon had like, pretty much every show you're interested in for that season, even if it's 2, or 3, would you sub?

I'm looking at the other replies and I think it's interesting, because it seems like people who already have Prime are likely to just jump on once the volume meeting their interest is there. But those without Prime find it a much harder sell (duh).

Figuring out the exact break even point would be tricky. Three shows I was really interested in would do it for sure. Hell, I might sub for just one show if it was something I felt that strongly about (I subbed to Funi for three months when Yuri Kuma was running because I love Ikuhara that much and wouldn't want to wait until the episodes were posted for free users).

I think three shows would definitely be enough for me to consider three months for the service assuming it was really good stuff. (Like, in any season there will always be shows that I'll check out on Crunchyroll because I'm already on there and they seem potentially interesting, but I wouldn't subscribe to a service for. It'd need to be the From the New World or Shirobako levels of "I need to watch this" for me to be getting Strike)

Aki-at

Depends on the quality of the show but if say, JoJo, Mob Psycho and Thunderbolt from last year was on Strike I wouldn't hesitate to sign up.

But I already have Prime, if I didn't I probably would need 5 really great pieces of entertainment and that's never happened in one year for me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gabriel Dropout End
I wish I liked this series more. Gabriel's "fallen angel" nature just never really comes out. Her slovenly nature doesn't shine through at all. She doesn't speak or act like she's obsessed with video games. This final episode at least plays up her two faced nature, but the show just continues to feel super mild even with good VA work, high quality funny faces, and animation to actually back up its slap stick. The material itself just feels ponderously slow even for light comedy, and there's little personality, wit, or charm to the jokes or characters. The end note sort of pushes for a theme about friendship, but it doesn't even feel like the people working on this show thought it was worth pretending that was a thing that mattered. Safe. Lame. Not really worth remembering at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom