• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters - 01-04

I'm not liking it. First episode started with some kinda obnoxious, on the nose "am I a main character sort of guy?" dialogues/monologues and was then followed up with three average monster of the week episodes. So far there's no real character ensemble that can play off each other and Haru by himself certainly can't carry it.

The Digimon / Apps correlation makes for a solid modern setting and allows them to theme the Digimon and fights against them after certain apps. It works decently but can't say that I'm actually interested in that world yet.

Where it falls particularly flat though is all the digi-evolution stuff. Zero excitement from my side when it happens. Lackluster animation and while this sort of, uh, techno-rap, isn't bad per se it's miles away from the evo-tracks we get in, say, the first three seasons.

And then there's the result of a fusion evolution:

Bi6Nl1e.jpg
uC4DWDd.jpg

Sigh. If you use some (decent) CGI for the evolution process itself, fine by me. But these hideous CGI Digimon, that look even worse in motion, are awful.

dropped

Jintor

Needless to say, if you haven't watched Toradora but want to, skip the fuck out of this post.

Toradora 23 -Rewatch-

Oh, you better believe some shit is going down.

To recap: Ryuuji knows Taiga loves him, but Taiga is inexplicably still trying to set him up with Minorin and he's going with the flow. Minorin says she's going to go for what she can see. Kitamura is Kitamura. Ami is raging silently. Nobody's sure what's going through Taiga's head, except blood and pus because she keeps threatening to show it to Those Two Girls.

Yuri-sensei goes off about Valentine's day for a while because lol. They gotta hand in their future forms.

Tlorxvf.png

The framing for this shot is nice. Ryuuji faces his future with a sheepish, indeterminate look, while Taiga seeks freedom outside.

Ryuuji trots out his line about his mum while Taiga says "I'm rich as fuck ain't never working these hands". Yuri-sensei sighs, and tells them "What you do with your lives now is completely up to you now. No more blaming others."

Taiga doesn't give a shit.

KDYfpS8.png

Me? I'm gonna go where the wind takes me.

She monologues for a while to Ryuuji. "I've always denied who I am, and wondered why I turned out this way... what could I have done differently?" She tells him there's one thing she wanted to experience - a normal love, which freaks Ryuuji out.

VqRSkyv.png

I'm not so into the composition here, but note how Taiga is still partially hidden.

"Why past tense?" asks Ryuuji. Taiga says, experiencing one is impossible. "Everything was wrong from the beginning. I'm not normal", she says, and leaves.

Ryuuji wanders into the staffroom to find Ami arguing with the mullet-wearing principal, who wants her to model school uniforms for next year. She takes her annoyance out on him, and he silently (and hilariously) chucks her shoe out the door.

KORB10w.jpg

Ryuuji being Ryuuji, of course, he can't help but go get it back for her.

You could see Ami's irritation at being asked to model as another reflection of her ongoing theme where she doesn't particularly like being viewed as 'adult', given that she's still a confused, angry teen.

odRC4wB.png

I like Ami's expression here. It's like she got caught being too real.

"If I could, I'd stay here with everyone forever..." she says wistfully. She tells him she'd originally planned to leave early, but stayed... why? Because she saw Taiga getting hurt. "If I was the only one who understood her, then I had to be the one to save her... or so I thought," she says (If you recall, she calls home in ep 14, right after the Cultural Festival... but not straight after, it takes a conversation with Ryuuji to really get her to decide). She snatches the shoe while Ryuuji is trying to work out what she's talking about and stalks off when Ryuuji gets a call and rushes home.

Yuusako collapsed from working too many jobs, Ryuuji leaves to walk it off, Taiga rushes after him with jacket and wallet and bags and saves him from a car. Ryuuji starts blaming himself and tries to go on when Taiga grabs him.

17Kj2bP.png

He's trying to walk away, but when Taiga grabs his hand...

5os57d1.png

It takes him a few tries, but he returns the grip too.

This scene really works the career plan from a side-story/metaphor into something more and, in some ways, works as the inverse of the light-kicking scene I absolutely love from episode two. It's Taiga chasing after Ryuuji trying to understand and share his pain, even if she can't provide solutions right now.

Ryuuji and Taiga go take up Ya-chan's job at the bakery, though Ryuuji lies to her and tells her she was fired instead (to try and spare her from working, obvs). Cut to Ryuuji being basically the worst at customer service.

WzSFh7o.jpg

YOOOOOO WE GOT TWINTAILS THIS IS FINALLY A REAL ANIME

"You've got to compensate for a face that just isn't suited for customer service" snarks Taiga. Haruta turns up... girlfriend in tow. (It's possible he represents that we never really know everything about another person, or it's just a last-second gag. Who's to say?) Noto also turns up for a comedy gag before Taiga summons Ami for a bit.

ZPduIju.jpg

Their friendship is really quite adorable especially considering that the first time they ever met Taiga slapped the shit out of Ami

We see some anime magic as Ami, merely by saying something pithy, summons a crowd to buy a shittonne of chocolates. Ryuuji runs to get a quick word in. "Everyone will be sad if you leave," he tells her.

"Everyone?" she asks.

mJYMwNk.jpg

God, that expression.

Taiga buys the rest of the chocolates and tells Ryuuji she's going to give them to their friend group to apologise for ruining the snow trip by falling off a cliff. Cut to her giving them to their friendgroup to etc etc.

Ami says these are the same boxes as she was selling yesterday, but accepts it anyway. Minorin is genki as usual.

VaiIxzT.jpg

An awful lot of this episode takes place by afternoon's orange light, Toradora's visual guide for "profound shit is gonna happen"

Ryuuji accepts his chocolates with an odd look, and Taiga proceeds to give the best ones to Kitamura because, after all....

LIES DETECTED

Taiga continues on with her babbling, the only point of animation in the room which has otherwise gone very, very still.

MhGpN2w.png

Minorin's eyes trembling here is so subtle but intense. You can see her as she tries to process what Ryuuji must have done.

HI2si49.jpg

An innocuous question, but Ryuuji recognises it for what it is immediately - an attack, Minorin's final acceptance that the truth finally has to come out.

3SmWd0i.png

No other characters at all move during this sequence while Taiga squashes and stretches in animation, bringing to attention her fake bounciness and attempts to play off the question.

cQA1pVG.png

Ami's eyes narrow as she sees the last futile attempt to keep up the facade.

"Nobody saw anything!" says Ryuuji. Mistake.

8nwbBpB.png

hqRiiYf.png

The intensity of this scene spikes so suddenly here. Minorin's VA really sells it here, a brutal but necessary shift.

Taiga tries to intervene but Minorin grabs her as Lost my Pieces starts playing.

CR2FFWa.png

o5Gkkh5.png

The line art style goes really fluid and the angles shift disconcertingly as Minorin interrogates Taiga.

The music swells as Taiga screams in pain and fear and tries to run.

r7ZMT1j.png

The timing of this shot to the strings kicking in is exquisite.

Kitamura and Ami silently move to block the doors, refusing to let Taiga run from her feelings.

DfMpjSf.png

fBk3k0m.png

Their silent co-ordination on this is heartwarming.

"Are you fine with letting Taiga go?" asks Kitamura of Ryuuji, as Minori grabs Taiga.

47ppxLr.png

cKtYMsO.png

LDeY0DT.png

TjE3qW9.png

Taiga's screams are heartfelt, heartrending; she can't even look at Minori, it's too painful for her. Their movements are frantic, frenzied, desperate.

0Eit8fl.png

uzqOhVo.png

Taiga can't use her friends to deflect her self-sacrifice any longer. She can't say it's for their sake; they won't let her. Sacrificing on another's behalf without them knowing is little more than blaming them for making yourself suffer.

Taiga offers her feeble excuses, but she's petrified.

R67JlAi.jpg

rvKb2ru.png

tuqgLmQ.png

Minorin's yell blows away the shadows and lets in the light as the music swells again.

aWbbCgG.jpg

JDHkiAU.png

Minorin spells it out.

Taiga manages to throw off Minorin and run; Kitamura and Ami agree they've done all they can as Ami leaves position, letting Taiga escape.

Sz18PsV.png

Her run towards camera is sloppy, ungainly, emotional, befitting the intensity of the scene.

Ami challenges Ryuuji to chase Taiga down, "if you're up to the task". Minori is more direct - she's going to chase her down. "What will you do?" she demands as the lead-in to the ED begins.

jvtaoPD.png

A perfect place for a cliffhanger!

Zoom into Ryuuji's face, cut to white, credits!

---

A fucking intense climax to the episode as all of Toradora finally comes to a head. As Minori realises that Ryuuji and Taiga are still fucking hiding each other's true feelings from one another the team finally decide to force the two of them to make a god damn decision. It's a really strong way to bring in the entire main cast on the central issue of the show and to reaffirm their friendship, even if in the now it hurts deeply - and Taiga sells the fuck out of the pain.

Minorin told Ami earlier that she was working towards what she could see, but she told Ryuuji as well that she just couldn't see 'ghosts' - love. Yuri-sensei tells the two of them earlier in the episode that they are responsible for their own decisions; they can't palm the blame off to someone else. They've been stuck in a holding pattern of letting the one they want to be with 'be happy' by denying their own happiness, by averting their eyes from their 'ghosts'. Well, it's time to open your eyes, ToraDora. Happy Valentine's Day.

Next time on Toradora: I'm A Taurus.

Clov

I mean no wonder, the industry only survives because of its captive nature.

from anecdotal experience the fact that most japanese consumers don't know jackshit about importing is the only thing that saves quite a few industries

The strange thing is, it's not that hard to find third party sellers on Amazon.jp selling North American releases. It's something that a lot of the market must not realize.

It also could be that the market willing to buy those releases has little interest in North American releases, preferring the Japanese artboxes and extras. There also could be people who aren't aware that we share Japan's BD region, and don't import out of worry that it won't work on thier player. There's a lot of things it could be, but the less information is out there the happier the anime BD industry in Japan is, I'll bet.

It also could be that the market willing to buy those releases has little interest in North American releases, preferring the Japanese artboxes and extras. There also could be people who aren't aware that we share Japan's BD region, and don't import out of worry that it won't work on thier player. There's a lot of things it could be, but the less information is out there the happier the a anime BD industry in Japan is, I'll bet.

Them sweet sweet event tickets ;P

duckroll

Tales of Zestiria the X - Episode 12

Aaaaaand that's the end of season 1. Was pretty entertaining. Good fun traditional fantasy anime. Good lead. Very nice Ufotable animation. No idea how they'll wrap this up in another 13 episodes though. Feels like the story hasn't even gone anywhere. There isn't even a complete party yet. Wtf?!

Aaaaaand that's the end of season 1. Was pretty entertaining. Good fun traditional fantasy anime. Good lead. Very nice Ufotable animation. No idea how they'll wrap this up in another 13 episodes though. Feels like the story hasn't even gone anywhere. There isn't even a complete party yet. Wtf?!
Lets hope they do wrap it up nicely considering there are more Berseria episode coming again. So it's not really 12 and more like 10.

But considering what they cut from the game the first part (what they did with Attak? for exemple, that was an entire dungeaon in the game) I think they can do it.

Cornbread78

Yeah, I have to question this when comparing where they were with the game at this point. If they keep at this pace (which is SOOOO much better than the game) it's hard to see them not rolling out a third season since there are several party members not introduced and many events not even touched upon yet.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
duckroll, about the game itself, my main reason for finishing the game is that I liked the cast so much. Their interactions and skits were great.

Yeah, I have to question this when comparing where they were with the game at this point. If they keep at this pace (which is SOOOO much better than the game) it's hard to see them not rolling out a third season since there are several party members not introduced and many events not even touched upon yet.
Or they could just totally go "We showed you half of the game. Now go play for 20hrs to reach this point and see where the story goes!"

Obviously hope that isn't the case. I've just finished episode 6 last night and I agree, although the added scenes and pace are 100x better, I remember these scenes being at the start of the game. I mean I quit after around 10 hours and I still haven't caught up with where I left off.

duckroll, about the game itself, my main reason for finishing the game is that I liked the cast so much. Their interactions and skits were great.
I back this up! Zestiria just has the best cast of characters. Loved all of the skits. My boys Sorey and Mikleo are just the best.

MSMrRound

Akiba's Trip might as well be Sore ga Seiyuu's sidestory/sequel with all the references and cameos.

Same studio, same cast, the OP even had Earphones singing it in and the three Akiba's Trip female members dressed up in the idol outfit that they used in Sore ga Seiyuu.

They couldn't be more obvious if they want to.

Cornbread78

Or they could just totally go "We showed you half of the game. Now go play for 20hrs to reach this point and see where the story goes!"

Obviously hope that isn't the case. I've just finished episode 6 last night and I agree, although the added scenes and pace are 100x better, I remember these scenes being at the start of the game. I mean I quit after around 10 hours and I still haven't caught up with where I left off.

I keep trying to keep track of the events in my head as I watch the anime and I think I've lost it a little bit, lol. I really hope they do a full adaptation and go with 36 episodes in the end and keep filling in the story gaps that we experienced in the game. I mean, what was Alisha doing during those other events?

I also hope they go into some of the ruin exploration that we saw in ep.1...

Also, we need to see more Normins love; like we did in EP.00

Izayoi

Banned
Sweetness and Lightning 1-12

Really lovely little show with no resolution whatsoever. I'm left wanting more. Just gonna pretend that she marries sensei when she gets older and they all live happily ever after. Time to watch Barakamon!

kewlmyc

?

All the party members have been shown at this point. Unless you're referring to the Berseria crew or something.

Branduil

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...s-anime-strike-paid-streaming-service/.110924

Amazon U.S. launched the Anime Strike streaming service on Thursday as its first branded on-demand subscription service. The paid service is offering more than 1,000 television anime episodes and films to Amazon Prime members in the United States.

The service costs US$4.99 per month, and a seven-day free trial is available. Anime Strike's streaming anime are ad-free, and Amazon plans to update the channel every week. Some of the anime are streaming with English subtitles, and some are available with an English dub. The service is Amazon's newest in its line of about 100 Amazon Channels.

Amazon holds exclusive rights to stream anime such as Chi's Sweet Adventure, Onihei, The Great Passage, ViVid Strike!, Shin-chan Spin-off vol.1 Aliens vs. Shinnosuke, and Scum's Wish on the service in the United States. Amazon U.S. posted placeholder pages for these anime for its Amazon Prime Video service earlier this week.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Branduil

The best part is that all of Amazon's anime is still freely available to Prime members in other countries. They are specifically charging an extra fee only in America, with no added benefits.

Time for people to stop giving Amazon the benefit of the doubt, LOL.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
hello? Hello? HELLO? who is this imaginery person that is willing to pay $5 a month to watch these shows nobody cares about? the only show they are simulcasting is scum's wish too.

And here I thought only Canada got the short end of the stick in the anime spectrum.

But yeah Amazon must be kidding themselves if they think people wouldn't simply resourt to piracy rather than paying an extra fee on top of their subscription to just watch the potential one or two shows that may be interesting on there every year.

Ascheroth

Same here. Cast was great.
is it worse than lance n' masques?
if it is i'll need to see it just to confirm!
Lance n' masques was just bland and boring (from the 1 episode I've seen).
Hand Shakers actively tries to make you gouge out your eyeballs.

duckroll

The best part is that all of Amazon's anime is still freely available to Prime members in other countries. They are specifically charging an extra fee only in America, with no added benefits.

Time for people to stop giving Amazon the benefit of the doubt, LOL.

For a time there was mystery and confusion as to what their grand plan was. This ending is more hilarious than anyone could have anticipated!

Ascheroth

So let me get this straight. In order to watch shows that Amazon has, say, stuff by noitaminA, you not only have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, but also subscribe to another service within the subscription to get access to the anime they have.

Yeah, but only in the US. It's still included in Prime everywhere else.

Cornbread78

Scum's Wish ep.1
g6vnDk6.jpg

Umm, I haven't been this uncomfortable watching something like in quite some time. I'm not even sure how I should feel about it at this point. It's not that it was over-ecchi, or it was gross, but it was very real... very, very, real to an uncomfortable point. Their true love interests are blah and you know it's never going to happen, but damn, just how far down the rabbit hole do these two go? I can see him becoming quite abusive, not necessarily sexually, but emotionally and mentally towards her more than anything. I still kinda feel uncomfortable after watching that, but I'll take a look next week still... I need a cigarette now...

Maybe he means that
the wind Seraph contract hasnt been made so far? And that we know Zaveid is the true last member.

yup. I don't want to spoil anything though...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The whole point of offering a service like this is to making it convenient so that people no longer use "alternative" means of watching these shows.

Amazon dun goofed.

Imagine paying that to watch Attack on Train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom