• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

There, got some Blue Exorcist reading done finally in the morning heh. I am going to guess that for the first episode of this season, if they really are going to forward the manga now, that it will be some recapping, including some differences in the outcome of Rin vs Amaimon and the court scene. This is basically chapter 14, manga wise.

I probably going to read along with the Impure King arc as the season goes on for fun. Also looking forward to Saburota Todo.

WmvoxaL8s6.png

Actually, some were saying the Hallmark movie only starting recruiting for the tele-movie in November, which is frankly pretty suspicious.

Suspicious? Even ignoring that the call was just for extras as MikeHattsu said, which happens around filming time for any movie, 1) a movie script is going to exist in some form long before it gets around to casting and filming, and 2) you really think The Hallmark Channel needed Yuri on Ice to come up with the idea for a romance film involving ice skating?

John Blade

key_art_spring_and_chaos.jpg

Manage to finish the movie and man...this is a very interesting movie to watch and I don't know where to start at all. I did some research of the movie after finish watching it and it look like a biographical sketch of the life of Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa. From what I can gather, the movie is trying to use Miyazawa writing style technique to tell his life story which is interesting to watch. Some stuff I would like to say about this movie (and maybe the DVD of the physical copy I own

• CG shot in some scene look dated and don't fit as well in the hand drawn animation but they is few scene where they put more time on it and it do look good when you see it.
  • The hand drawn animation look nice to see. Notice quite a bit around the background of the scene which look more detail.
  • The subtitle on this DVD release have a 1-2 second delay matching up the character when they're talking. Very odd as it kinda ruin the flow when trying to follow the discussion of the character.
  • The backstory of the MC you follow, Kenji, is interesting to follow in the movie. You start to realize the MC don't really like the life of been in a rich business man and want to know more about the deeper meaning to life and his place among society. In a way, his character will be why he will try to live in a commoner life than go work with his father.
  • You start to see more of the MC past, his happiness, disappointment, and sorrow of the lost of his sister but at the same time, hope of what he does in his life.
  • Some of the imaginary scene is very beautiful to watch (if not a bit confuse but that might not be an issue with re watching it few time). The one which catch me is the hand sketch scene which look beautiful to watch when I saw it.
  • The imaginary of death is very strong which I guess the MC fear the most during the movie but accept it a bit more at the end of the movie.
  • The music is simple but strong for the scene when it's play (in a way make the scene more stronger and emotional) The one which catch my attention is been use for the intro and ending which hit me much harder of how strong the music for the scene. Here is the link of the music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZmPM0KE1gc)

I guess that is all I can say about this movie after 1st watch. I most likely go back and re watch it once more as they're quite a few things I notice but didn't catch the meaning of it. For people going in to watch it, I don't know what to say. The story line is simple to follow and the imaginary scene is interesting to watch but I think it's better if you go into this movie with a very open mind as what you expect is a very touching and beautiful movie about a real person in Japan of his life to watch and it age actually well for the most part (except the CG animation scene). Would recommend for everyone.

5UJmWCZ.gif

Taruranto

Yuri on Ice fandom is nuts. A month or so back I saw that some YoI fans were allegedly messaging the skater Victor was based on to tell him to leave his wife and hook up with the skater Yuri is based on.

Kuroko plays with his balls fandom still wins as far fujo fandoms go, tho'.

(Also Victor was based on two gay individuals so I don't think that happened =P)

Actually, some were saying the Hallmark movie only starting recruiting for the tele-movie in November, which is frankly pretty suspicious.

I think it's just a coincidence in the end but it is an hilariously weird coincidence.

Kuroko plays with his balls fandom still wins as far fujo fandoms go, tho'.

(Also Victor was based on two gay individuals so I don't think that happened =P)

The skater involved was Evgeni Viktorovich Plushenko, who may not have been the skater Yuri on Ice's Victor was actually based on but the skater who some viewers assumed the character was based on. Plushenko does have a wife.

Jex

Flippity Flap Flap

Only anime I followed somewhat regularly during fall season after following some of the hype here. What a mistake.

The start was intriguing and the episodic nature of the first half of the season was decent enough with great animation though some questionable direction. Then it all fell apart around episode 9. The last episode was a complete disaster. I thought the first episode was confusing but the last episode made the first episode look coherent.

Note to self. Never watch anime unless it has been well vetted.

Well, people were pretty negative on the show at least 5 weeks so I wouldn't necessarily call it 'over hyped'.

BluWacky

With the last vestiges of free time before I go back to work, what do I choose to watch?

Digimon: Appli Monsters 1

What's supposed to be so good about this show? It mostly seems notable for some fairly garish character designs and the lead character Googling how to kill the monster of the week (oh, and a Digimon called "Gatchamon", because of course there's got to be a mobile game tie-in).

I did like the "are you a main character?" moment with the vending machine for an effective moment of creepiness, but otherwise I'm not sure what is supposed to be exciting here.

Akiba's Trip 1
download.png

This was dumb, but in an honest way that one can enjoy if they're in the right mood.

Also it had a girl who fights with a bat.

Maybe it speaks to my own base desires, but I'm down with that.

With the last vestiges of free time before I go back to work, what do I choose to watch?

Digimon: Appli Monsters 1

What's supposed to be so good about this show? It mostly seems notable for some fairly garish character designs and the lead character Googling how to kill the monster of the week (oh, and a Digimon called "Gatchamon", because of course there's got to be a mobile game tie-in).

I did like the "are you a main character?" moment with the vending machine for an effective moment of creepiness, but otherwise I'm not sure what is supposed to be exciting here.

I mostly enjoy the show because I think the characters have been really fun to watch, and because the show does a lot of interesting things with the implications of technology in everyday life. Like, within the first episode, I really liked how the conflict originated from the messenger app going crazy and airing everyone's secrets out in public. I thought that was a cool way to modernize the idea of Digimon and make it really feel like part of the real world.

The quality of the show varies from time to time, but it really has all the sort of things I love in my kids anime. The episodes have kept up a good quality in my mind each week, and the main cast have all been used really well. I also like Haru and Gatchmon a lot as protagonists because they feel pretty unique as far as protagonists go.

so funimation decided to not just ruin the roku app, but make almost all of their apps useless, cant use their app on android, or 360 anymore

Wanderer5

There I finished Konosuba.:p Bit amusing how it pretty much ends on a cliffhanger of sort, but I am not surprise in the way they ended it after a grand and kind of dramatic battle.:p Course something was just going to come up as a result of it.

Anyway yeah what a pretty funny series that I shall look forward to more of this season. Shall update my AOTY list then, cause it does make it.:p

Also episode 9 was just, wow lol.

Mailbox

There I finished Konosuba.:p Bit amusing how it pretty much ends on a cliffhanger of sort, but I am not surprise in the way they ended it after a grand and kind of dramatic battle.:p Course something was just going to come up as a result of it.

Anyway yeah what a pretty funny series that I shall look forward to more of this season. Shall update my AOTY list then, cause it does make it.:p

Its a good thing you finished it now since season 2 starts in a about a week :p

Speaking of which I need to finish Rakugo :S

Line_HTX

There's still the OVA and I guarantee you it looks less QUALITY than episode 9.

Akiba's Trip 1
download.png

This was dumb, but in an honest way that one can enjoy if they're in the right mood.

if you can trade a girl that fights with a bat, to a girl that fights with a hammer who partners with a guy who fights with a bat, then have I got the movie for you.

Syv

Neo Member
Akiba'STrip

I really liked the animation in the fights, but not a big fan of the character designs. The show screems stupid fun and that is all i'm hoping for. Hopefully the show won't go overboard with the fanservice, but if it stays like how it was in the first episode i'm ok with it.

so funimation decided to not just ruin the roku app, but make almost all of their apps useless, cant use their app on android, or 360 anymore

I know what you mean. Wife is pissed because it doesn't work on her tablet (android) properly anymore, We bought a Roku to make viewing anime for reviews easier (don't have to hook my PC up to the TV anymore for Crunchy) but noooo stupid Funi has to go and break their already bad App even further.

It still works quite well on my Iphone however, and I think Ipad by proxy. Pretty close to cancelling my subscription to be honest.

Akiba's Trip 1
download.png

I just finished watching the first episode of Funimation's Dub. The premise is dumb as hell, but I'll admit it actually had me cracking up throughout the episode.

I can't believe the MC has the same VA as Shinji Ikari. Dude is hamming it up.

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.4
Ok, so lots more happenings with no explainations. Also, girl option number 3? Does this turn into a harem at some point? Also, how long before they start explaining the work, the "races" and what is going on?

how exactly? I've not used a funimation app before.

At least for my wife and I we have these troubles:
Android: Screen freezes and audio from the last ten seconds loops endlessly.
Roku: Constantly fails to load up our queue, pages load extremely slow, and sometimes if you click play nothing happens at all, meaning you can't even watch anything.

Szadek

March comes in like a lion - Ep. 9
The first half wasn't very good, but the later one saved the episode for me.
That old man certianly was a pretty intersting characters.

RahXephon ep.4

Ok, so lots more happenings with no explainations. Also, girl option number 3? Does this turn into a harem at some point? Also, how long before they start explaining the work, the "races" and what is going on?

You're only 4 episodes in, they'll introducing a lot more questions before you get answers.

The subtitle on this DVD release have a 1-2 second delay matching up the character when they're talking. Very odd as it kinda ruin the flow when trying to follow the discussion of the character.

Man, I would rip the dvd and then adjust the subtitle timing. I hate when subs aren't in sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom