• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hythloday

Still plenty of time for it to fizzle out, move north, go out to sea, etc.

But hey, might be fun if it happens and it's on the weekend so my morning commutes afterward aren't immediately shit.

Up to 28.8 inches.

CZBDGxyWYAAjTA3.jpg:large

And it will be rain

Seems unlikely except for the coastal areas. The timing overnight Friday into Saturday helps with lower temps. The tract of the storm will determine the heaviest snow areas, but people will get snow out of this thing.

The potential exists for a major snowstorm to affect more than 50 million across the eastern United States at the end of the week.

Areas from near Washington, D.C., to around New York City are within the swath most likely to receive the heaviest snow from the storm.

The exact track of a storm will hold the key as to which areas in mid-Atlantic and New England are hit with heavy snow, dangerous highway travel and scores of flight delays and cancellations during Friday into Saturday.

Unlike most storms so far this winter, this system will have sufficient enough cold air to produce snow and disruptions to daily activities in some areas of the East that have seen little thus far.

650x366_01181408_hd27.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-boston-philadelphia-friday-saturday/54870622

Up to 28.8 inches.

CZBDGxyWYAAjTA3.jpg:large
I'm in the 22-24 inch range. On one hand I wanted a snow day from work. On the other hand I live in the middle of nowhere so the amount of work required to shovel my car out and get it on the main roads is a pain. Not too mention chances are real that I'll be out of power for a week.

gdt

Godfuckingdammit!

It's looking like 21-23 inches for me! Fuck.

Please let this shit just go away.

Here are some words of wisdom from the Southern Connecticut Weather group on facebook (really good to follow if you live in the area)

Quick comments on the weekend potential... -DB
I know there is going to be a lot of talk about this over the next few days, so I wanted to get in front of it now as the hype machine gets going (and it will get going in a hurry, quickly). The guidance continues to be in agreement of a potentially significant system impacting our region this weekend. Because of the potential of it to be a high impact event, you will undoubtably see a lot of snow accumulation maps, model panels, and comments elsewhere that seem to "lock in" a snowstorm. I urge caution. Yes, there is quite a bit of potential for a significant snowstorm, but this far out there is also a lot of potential for this to trend away from a significant event.
SCW is following this very closely. You will see us talk about it in our discussions and on Twitter (reminder, please follow us there lol). It is something worth tracking, but like I have said before, there is a fine line between shoveling potential and snow. Monitor our page, website, and Twitter feed closely. We will do our best to give you the information you need as we move forward, together.
Thanks

Keep in mind a week is an eternity in weather forecasting terms

Looks like a major snowstorm on the latest euro model, and slower moving than the GFS.

ESYIKYR.gif

@RyanMaue

ECMWF 12z unloads blockbuster snow amounts in 5-6 day forecast -- this time 24-36" centered on Virginia & WV. DC 18"

SeanR1221

Looks like I'm in the foot of snow area. Idc because my wife isn't working this weekend. So should be a good time to just relax with her.

akira28

we aren't afraid. bring it on. i will be inside playing games.

on the off hand chance I need to travel, my car has quattro, I will terrorize the snow fields with great aplomb.

Dishwalla

Banned
Whoo, centered on Virginia(and WV)! Bring it on! Even six inches is enough to close everything down for at least two-three days.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wouldn't be surprised if the threat of this storm waned as the days pass. It happens all the time with a sudden boom of media hype and then reality sets in.

Though it has been an extremely warm Winter for a long time so if things were to reverse suddenly and we get walloped by a giant snow storm I wouldn't be that surprised.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I see no benefit to a weekend snowstorm. Thursday night into Friday though would be nice.

Culex

Banned
I'm tired of getting burned by the forecasts. Holloween blizzard wasn't even predicted a few years ago and many other benchmark storms ended as misses.

This "storm" is 5 days away. Start worrying Thursday when the final track is better understood.

Ocean temperatures are far too warm so that kinda has me thinking thing might less snowy especially if winds come off the ocean. Lower totals far inland.

akira28

Given up? That was the snowiest winter in DC on record, gotta temper those expectations lol

it wasn't the snowiest. it was the most clusterfucked as far as infrastructure and accidents and people stranded, but it wasn't the biggest snowfall I remember.

we've had 4-5 foot snowfalls before, and taller than that before I was born. I remember getting dressed in 3 layers of sweats and then a heavy coat and boots and we would just lay down in the snow and roll in it. The sledding was amazing.

Mothman91

Ehhhhhhhhh, why Friday into Saturday though. Give me Saturday into Sunday and government off Monday. Don't know if they'll say fuck it and let us work on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom