• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm for NE/MA States Friday-Sunday (Up: Blizzard warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest Euro is insane.

37 inches in DC. Maximum is 58.3 inches in West Virginia....

jzxqRoX.jpg

Latest Euro is insane.

jzxqRoX.jpg

holy crap. I grew up in the 50+ area, and a mere 2 or 3 inches made travel nearly impossible for a couple days. I cannot imagine what it'd be like if that model is even close to accurate.

Dishwalla

Banned
37 inches would be enough to halt civilization as we know it in VA/D.C.

(inb4 politicians/government jokes)

Okay, that was a little hyperbolic, but still that's a huge number. Certainly hope we don't get anything near that amount.

Culex

Banned
Early medium range shows 8-12 inches for CT,
so not too much for us. I guess I'll have to get gas for my snow blower after all.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Latest Euro is insane.

jzxqRoX.jpg

I think insane is a good description... I'll be surprised if it's much more than half that.

(I hope it's half that... I'd have to be out there with the snowblower pretty much continuously to keep up with it!)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That map is also showing a 15:1 ratio; it'll probably be closer to 10:1. Same amount of liquid, smaller accumulation totals.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
This one uses varying ratios based on expected conditions. Still massive. But of course it's too early to take any of these seriously still.

wENmmTs.jpg

Hope that one is wrong too, it's showing 3' or more for me. Never had that much snow at once in 37 years living in NoVA.

Selner

Those Euro model snow totals are crazy.

I'm in Montgomery County, MD, and if I'm reading that right it's got me at 40 inches of snow? Nutty.

I imagine going to a grocery store on Thursday is going to be a nightmare. Probably not a drop of milk or grain of bread in sight.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even snow at all.

Yeah, the NYC area estimate has already gone from like 18 inches to 7. By the time the storm is supposed to hit this weekend it's gonna be nothing.

Raleigh area here. Looks like maybe we're in the 4-6 inch range on that GFS model. A jog to the SE and we get a foot or more, a jog to the NE and we get nothing.

Same ole same ole in Raleigh. We seem to always be on the line for these things.

How many days out from Friday until we can get accurate snowfall estimates, Wednesday, Thursday? I would love to not have to go into the office on Friday and just login from home.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm literally right in the center of this. Fuck that. Guess I'm loading up on food on Thursday, working from home on Friday and staying in all weekend.

andycapps

Looks like around 1" of snow for us in Columbus, OH. Just once I'd love to have one of these big winter storms hit me on the weekend. During the week it would suck because they never cancel work, so they'd just expect us to still be there despite everything. On the weekend I could at least enjoy it while I watch football and play games.

Raleigh area here. Looks like maybe we're in the 4-6 inch range on that GFS model. A jog to the SE and we get a foot or more, a jog to the NE and we get nothing.

Same ole same ole in Raleigh. We seem to always be on the line for these things.

Raleigh Gaf here too Might need to stock up on some salt, home depot in knightdale ran out last year.

e_i

Bought a pair of snow boots (I needed to replace my old ones anyway). I live along the Jersey coast. There's a possibility of up to a total of 15-17 inches over Friday/Saturday/Sunday here.

teiresias

It's sounding like it won't be too bad here in Hampton Roads, VA. Still, I guess I'll overnight a shovel from Amazon, I haven't bought one since moving.

Latest Euro is further south, 30 inches for Richmond lol, big difference compared to the US model.

@hoffmanrich

ECMWF SHOWS SHIFT in snow totals less amounts a few inches north of nyc. Monster snows central NJ to Virginia going to be a long 48 hours.

Edit :

12549058_1038018366265737_4397543684231929275_n.jpg

Still think we'll get a light dusting, if anything at all. I remember last year they were predicting 2-3 feet for central/north NJ and we got like, 3 inches lol.

Latest Euro is further south, 30 inches for Richmond lol, big difference compared to the US model.

Edit :

12549058_1038018366265737_4397543684231929275_n.jpg

Commentary on the latest Euro model:
https://www.facebook.com/DCMETROSKY...054778880503/1084078018278172/?type=1&theater
National Capital Area Skywarn Spotters
EURO: From BOOM, to NOT SO MUCH!
Below is the 12Z run for the ECMWF (EURO) and it has very LARGE changes in this forecast. This is exactly why we have been stressing that this is still way too far out to get a full handle on, and how things can, and almost always do change this far in advance. The Euro, now has Central Virginia taking the bullseye of this storm, while leaving DC with maybe 12-16". Places like Frederick MD and areas N/W of DC which yesterday were looking at 25-30" of snow, are now looking instead at a paltry 6-8", while places like Fredericksburg VA, are now staring at the potential for 30" of snowfall. In short, this model run has jogged the storm significantly south, enough that, if it does end this way, it will significantly lessen the snowfall amounts for the National Capital Area. One thing to keep in mind is that this could be an outlier or an anomaly in this run. We have to wait and see what the next runs do, and if there begins to be a consensus on this southward shift in the storms track. Stay Tuned! The fun is just getting started.

I'm still saying that we'll get nothing in the DC area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom