• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

sky said:
Owned by the GAF

th_gaf_avatar_sketchysat.gif

. :lol :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
This years Crackdown confirmed. That was like four hours of the exact same thing over and over again that everyone loved because of it's boring co-op. I mean because of it's co-op.
Considering my friends have been Crackdown crazy these past few weeks, that's a good thing.

But 10 hours? Eh..... It's 60 friggin euros....

rhino4evr

10 hours would be fine if the story delivered. According to both of these previews the story isn't even a main focus. ED greatest asset was it's story and presentation. I was expecting the same here. Bummer.

The 10 hours thing isn't really surprising if you've been following Dyacks' comments:
Q: Your plan for Too Human is that it's going to be a trilogy. Is that an overly ambitious thing to announce before the first game is out? Or is it more important as a developer to make bold statements and be upfront about your ambitions?

Dyack: I don't really see it as bold. I see that as a promise to the consumer that there's more here than just one game. Legacy of Kain had about sixty hours of play, but games have changed. People don't want that any more. I don't care how good the game is I don't want to play something that's one hundred hours long. As much as I love World of Warcraft I pulled myself out of it.

If we're going to craft an epic story we decided we had to divide it into manageable chunks for the consumer.
I don't agree myself, I'd much rather have a 30 hour game for $60 that I can play through at once rather than three 10-hour games at $60 each that I have to wait a year for.

Nolan.

WrikaWrek said:
My hype basically died when i was finished with that article. Not with thunderous disappointment, but with a wiff of indifference.

Count me out.

I'm still planning on getting it though the bit about the story kind of worries me since thats what i'm getting it for.

Tieno

rhino4evr said:
10 hours would be fine if the story delivered. According to both of these previews the story isn't even a main focus. ED greatest asset was it's story and presentation. I was expecting the same here. Bummer.
10 hours is fine if the gameplay is fun and the game is replayable, with co-op for example. I've replayed some shorter and same length games tons of times, other same length games I haven't touched again.

Too Human will be available August 29. I expect that it will garner a very wide range of review scores.
I expect the sequels to be published by Majesco. Highly unlikely MS will keep funding this expensive, uneven production.

bud said:
well, it's only been in development for 10 years.

My views are pretty much in line with Wrika's but statements like this are moronic. Learn about the games development before you comment on it, it's been a changing concept for 10 years, development only started for this incarnation on the 360. There's no reason why they couldn't put all the narrative content they were intended to into a 10 hour game given it's part of a trilogy and doesn't feature 30 minute long fluff cutscenes.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Nolan. said:
I'm still planning on getting it though the bit about the story kind of worries me since thats what i'm getting it for.

I was hyped for the game primarily because of all the claims about the story. To top it all it ends on a cliffhanger?

Too Human 2 might not even come out, why bother? Another Advent Rising.

Tieno said:
10 hours is fine if the gameplay is fun and the game is replayable, with co-op for example. I've replayed some shorter and same length games tons of times, other same length games I haven't touched again.

but apprently the game is repetitive so dont you think replaying a repetitive game over again might get repetitive again?

Nolan.

Operations said:
I expect the sequels to be published by Majesco. Highly unlikely MS will keep funding this expensive, uneven production.

I very much doubt they'll drop it. They signed up for the entire trilogy so i'm guessing they'll not want to budge much. Still though this is getting even more interesting, 10 years of melodrama to deliver that.?

besada

Banned
I'm just here in case Dyack shows up.

While I'm not sure that a repetitive nature and a short play time are bad things for your standard bash em up with lots of loot, that's not exactly what DD's been selling all these years on the forums. I'm pretty sure "epic" was bandied about. 10 hours and a cliffhanger aren't epic.

Won

Doesn't sound like a 60€ game to me. And with a cliffhanger ending I will just wait till all three games are released in a superpack.

RubberJohnny said:
The 10 hours thing isn't really surprising if you've been following Dyacks' comments:

I don't agree myself, I'd much rather have a 30 hour game for $60 that I can play through at once rather than three 10-hour games at $60 each that I have to wait a year for.

That's exactly the objective: Dyack split a 30 hours game in three parts in order to earn 180$ pro trilogy instead of 60$. :lol

The decision to end the relationship with Silicon Knights was another wise business choice of Nintendo.

Majmun

PhatSaqs said:
Just for S&Gs, what would be an appropriate length for people not to bitch? 15, 20 hours?

I'd rather play a 30 hour RPG once that replay a 10 hour RPG for 3 times.

Brashnir

happy about the brief cutscenes. Not so happy about most of the other things in the preview. I still might get it because I'm a whore for hack and slash RPGs and not many of them come out anymore.

10 hours.. nothing wrong with that guys.

Halo 3. 10 hours.
MGS4. 10 Hours (forget those cutscenes)
DMC. 10 hours.
Gears. 10 Hours.
Drake. 10 hours.

Want more?

besada

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
10 hours.. nothing wrong with that guys.

Halo 3. 10 hours.
MGS4. 10 Hours (forget those cutscenes)
DMC. 10 hours.
Gears. 10 Hours.
Drake. 10 hours.

Want more?

None of those games are RPGs. Way to miss the point.

Tieno

Kabuki Waq said:
but apprently the game is repetitive so dont you think replaying a repetitive game over again might get repetitive again?
Yes, but I'm not familiar with Kohler's tastes. Some people call Gears repetitive, yet I played through that game many times solo and co-op. I don't know how the loot and class system and co-op changes things for Too Human.

I've never played a game like Too Human so I'm still not willing to write it off. They need to release a demo as promised though I wonder if DD is going to chicken out of that.

Nolan.

besada said:
I'm just here in case Dyack shows up.

While I'm not sure that a repetitive nature and a short play time are bad things for your standard bash em up with lots of loot, that's not exactly what DD's been selling all these years on the forums. I'm pretty sure "epic" was bandied about. 10 hours and a cliffhanger aren't epic.

According to dyack it's more than a beat em up it's also in the rpg genre...action rpg apparently.

wow, denis, after all this time? 10 hours of repetitive gameplay?

Ouch.

Well, lets hope theres more to the game in terms of replayability.

Tieno said:
Yes, but I'm not familiar with Kohler's tastes. Some people call Gears repetitive, yet I played through that game many times solo and co-op. I don't know how the loot and class system and co-op changes things for Too Human.

I've never played a game like Too Human.

thats true I belive this is the same man who championed Viking battle for Asgard. That game was also 10 hours, repetitve and had NO CO-OP.

Nolan.

NemesisPrime said:
Too Human is not an RPG either, unless you think Diablo is an RPG.

Too Human is no diablo, diablo is action adventure for one too human has rpg tacked on, 10 hours in my mind is not sufficient.

besada

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
Too Human is not an RPG either, unless you think Diablo is an RPG.

ARPG, sure. Is it weird that people want a little meat on the bones, particularly when the epic nature of the product has been hyped endlessly? I'm not saying it needs to be 60 hours, but a nice fat twenty would have gone a league in reassuring the fence-sitters.

If I wanted a 10 hour FPS, I'd buy a 10 hour FPS.

rhino4evr

Tieno said:

agreed, but I didn't get too much of a positive impression on the gameplay front either.

I guess I was just expecting an above average action RPG, with an outstanding story to keep me interested. From Wired's impresssions it just seems like a standard hack and slash with light story elements that ends before it gets started.

GhaleonEB

If you're so inclined, you can slam through Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours...
It's an action RPG. While ten hours is on the short side, but it sounds like he's saying that's if you "slam through" - or sprint through - the game. Not the best measure of how long a game is.

For comparison, how long is, say, Diablo?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I personally have no problem with a 10 hour campaign if it's fun throughout and it entices you to start a new game with a different class. I just hope the sp can deliver on that.

KOTOR can easilly be slammed through in under ten hours. I've done it in 8 myself.
And I've done Resident Evil 4 in 6, and Mass Effect in 5. Blasting through something on a subsequent playthrough isn't really the same as the time taken to play it through the first time. Those two took me 20 hours a piece first time through.

Nolan.

PhatSaqs said:
Ok. Let's blur the lines pertaining to what an RPG is again folks....

You know what, I don't even care about the lines being blurred. What I care about is people like Dyack promising content flowing out of your ears. Limitless things to do and it's only 10 hours, I hope dlc isn't his excuse next.

GhaleonEB said:
It's an action RPG - ten hours is a bit on the short side, but it sounds like he's saying that's if you "slam through" - or sprint through - the game. Not the best measure of how long a game is.

For comparison, how long is, say, Diablo?
You can, for comparison, slam or sprint through Mass Effect in about 10-15 hours, maybe even less...

If this is just the "sprint through" value, then probably it should take longer...at least I do hope so.

Brashnir said:
KOTOR can easilly be slammed through in under ten hours. I've done it in 8 myself.
I got 70 hours worth of KOTOR on my first play. If Kohler rushed through Too Human as you did with KOTOR then surely there's nothing to fear...

Top Bottom