• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

PhatSaqs

Banned
Nolan. said:
You know what, I don't even care about the lines being blurred. What I care about is people like Dyack promising content flowing out of your ears. Limitless things to do and it's only 10 hours, I hope dlc isn't his excuse next.
In his defense, I doubt when explaining the content and features he was only pointing to the single player which is what this write up does.

Second said:
So what? That isn't a good excuse.

I don't mind 10 hour games though, it's just that Too Human has been in development since the Ps1. I was expecting some more flesh.

This game has been in the works for about 3 years once they got the UE3 engine. Annyone saying 10 years doesn't have their facts straight. The game on PS1 was completely different to the one we have now and was scrapped a long time ago.

Brashnir

Operations said:
I got 70 hours worth of KOTOR on my first play. If Kohler rushed through Too Human as you did with KOTOR then surely there's nothing to fear...

he distinctly said he went through it quickly.
If you're so inclined, you can slam through Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours

Now, I'm guessing that there's a lot less places that TH's length can be padded, like long dialog sequences in a Bioware RPG, but it definitely sounds like 10 hours was for a fast playthrough.

rhino4evr

Brashnir said:
he distinctly said he went through it quickly.

Now, I'm guessing that there's a lot less places that TH's length can be padded, like long dialog sequences in a Bioware RPG, but it definitely sounds like 10 hours was for a fast playthrough.

it doesn't matter how fast he played through it, in the end he still wrote that it was over "too soon"

Honestly i hope someone can answer. How can a game being promoted as having 4 player co-op suddenly have that selling feature dropped 2 months before release due the devs just suddenly realizing AFTER 4 YEARS that the level design would not work for 4 players??

honestly its seem like MS just told them to fuck it and rush it out the door. Does it not?

Minsc

Gold Member
NemesisPrime said:
10 hours.. nothing wrong with that guys.

Halo 3. 10 hours.
MGS4. 10 Hours (forget those cutscenes)
DMC. 10 hours.
Gears. 10 Hours.
Drake. 10 hours.

Want more?

This was compared to Diablo 3 before, so step it up. Best thing to judge length is Diablo 2, which was easily 30-40 hours first play through (and without adding the act of the expansion).

So if true, yes, 10-15 hours is quite laughable.

Brashnir

rhino4evr said:
it doesn't matter how fast he played through it, in the end he still wrote that it was over "too soon"

while that's true, it's also an indication that he was enjoying himself when it ended. Generally speaking, I'd rather a game end too soon than overstay it's welcome.

Nolan.

I'll just wait and play the game myself instead of aruging with defenders. Having said that I for some reason thought the games were all going to be seperate. I don't really like cliff hangers especially if you can't be sure to see the next game (Oh shenmue :( ).

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
Honestly i hope someone can answer. How can a game being promoted as having 4 player co-op suddenly have that selling feature dropped 2 months before release due the devs just suddenly realizing AFTER 4 YEARS that the level design would not work for 4 players??

honestly its seem like MS just told them to fuck it and rush it out the door. Does it not?
We'll never know the real answer but that's probably what happened.

Sysgen

GhaleonEB said:
It's an action RPG. While ten hours is on the short side, but it sounds like he's saying that's if you "slam through" - or sprint through - the game. Not the best measure of how long a game is.

For comparison, how long is, say, Diablo?

Good point. He says "If you're so inclined, you can slam through Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours"

I don't slam through anything I play. So longevity will vary.

Minsc said:
This was compared to Diablo 3 before, so step it up.

Why should SK have to "Step it up" to a comparison made by an independent source? If I tell Marvel to "step it up" with Secret Invasion are they obligated to get Grant Morrison to write it? Probably not.

Are those videos not playing for anyone else? The advert at the start plays, then it just freezes. I'm using Firefox.

EDIT: Christ, GameVideos is poo.

PhatSaqs said:
We'll never know the real answer but that's probably what happened.

yea but just the fact that new videos look like crap and suddenly features being dropped.....they all are textbook signs that game will be pretty crap.

When was the last time a game that was rushed out the door and dropped huge features was good?

its like Fable and messiah all over again.

10 hours, wow...I think it's pretty controversial considering the type of game TH is. Short Diablo clones (or whatever one might call them) seem to be a contradiction in terms.

rhino4evr said:
he wrote that for the go of war for psp too and you guys were all over his ass about it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
yea but just the fact that new videos look like crap and suddenly features being dropped.....they all are textbook signs that game will be pretty crap.
True. Those vids looks damning :lol

Tobor

10 hours the way Kohler played it? Or 10 hours the way I will play it?

I get the feeling he ran through it as quickly as possible.

Oh by the way...

Totilo's Blog said:
It is a game about upgrading. Every enemy drops loot: health, bounty money, arms and armor. All of it can be armed, sold, or merged with other items to create something new. The game does little of this management for the player, so only those who won’t mind or who will in fact enjoy selecting the best helmet, shoulder-guards or dual-wield swords — and repeating the process within the next five minutes of play — are likely to enjoy “Too Human.” In three hours, my Baldur, a melee-favoring Berzeker class warrior, gained much power because of how I armed him. His increase was satisfying.

I still can't wait to give this game a try.

Tieno

Kabuki Waq said:

When was the last time a game that was rushed out the door and dropped huge features was good?

its like Fable and messiah all over again.
I think Dyack smothered his own game with his love for it. Should have announced it much later, not talk about big game-selling features that aren't 100% sure yet (like 4p co-op, see Bungie), etc. Basically followed his own rules more closely when PRing his game.

rhino4evr

flintstryker said:
he wrote that for the go of war for psp too and you guys were all over his ass about it.

"you guys" does not pertain to me. I don't own a PSP, and have never written anything about GoW for PSP until right now. I do anxiously await to put GoW 3 in my shiny new PS3.

GhaleonEB

AgentOtaku said:
Not sure which one I clicked on, but it was the one where he fights a big mechanical thing.

I was tenative on the game before, but that just removed any doubt. No. Thanks.

Game doesn't even show the boss emerging - some debris gets tossed in from off-screen, then the robot jumps out. And there's no feedback at all when he's attacked - he stands there soaking it up, no movement whatsoever, even for the big special attack. It just looked....dumb. The animation in general has appeared quite poor, but that entire battle was simply terrible. It didn't look like he was fighting a boss, it looked like he was fighting a big monolith that soaks up damage.

Nolan.

Denis Dyack said:
I am sorry to see not much has changed here on the GAF. There should be no question as to why many developers do not post here. Thanks to those who were positive and made some logical comments.

To me the passing around these pictures/comments is like smashing the conch which alludes to many of the secondary themes in Lord of the Flies.

In time these comments will be bearers of fruit. Unfortunately for many here, they are going to be very bitter.

I can't wait.

rhino4evr

Tobor said:
10 hours the way Kohler played it? Or 10 hours the way I will play it?

I get the feeling he ran through it as quickly as possible.

Oh by the way...

I still can't wait to give this game a try.

I'm pretty sure I'll "try it" the question was will i "buy it"

based on this preview alone, I would asy no, but of course ill wait to hear more before making my final decision.

Tieno said:
I think Dyack smothered his own game with his love for it. Should have announced it much later, not talk about big game-selling features that aren't 100% sure yet (like 4p co-op, see Bungie), etc. Basically followed his own rules more closely when PRing his game.

cmon man they announced 4 player was dropped a couple of months before release. if they were on the ball they would have announced it earlier. Obviously they were not planning on releasing the game this early.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I may seem hard on this game, but that's only because I'm a total loot whore. Diablo is one of my favorites, and I do want to enjoy this. Still, I have several fundamental issues I will need to sort out out for myself.

Those videos don't look too hot.

Teknoman

NemesisPrime said:
Too Human is not an RPG either, unless you think Diablo is an RPG.

Diablo is an action RPG. And all you guys saying KOTOR, Zelda, Mass Effect, and other RPG or adventure games could be beat in under 10 hrs, to do everything in the game takes alot more than 10 hours, so that really doesnt count.

Too Human doesnt have any side quests or anything? Or is it more of a Gauntlet style game rather than an action rpg?

Sysgen said:
Good point. He says "If you're so inclined, you can slam through Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours"

I don't slam through anything I play. So longevity will vary.

I think Denis posted his end screen on IGN after his nth full playthrough and it was ~17 hours, and this was a guy who knew where to go and what would happen at each juncture.

If you skip sidequests in a game like this you get a lot less from it.

Nolan.

Kabuki Waq said:
cmon man they announced 4 player was dropped a couple of months before release. if they were on the ball they would have announced it earlier. Obviously they were not planning on releasing the game this early.

Why are you so sure it's down to ms and not their own mistakes.?

Prine

Banned
It does look atrocious. The combat and animation needs major work.

Afer the flow of Ninja Gaiden and God of War, i cant go back to games like this. Buldurs animation freezes as soon as he charges foward. There is no sense of urgency in his motion nor is their any enthusiasm.

If the main character cant be bothered to fight, why should i?

Now, this could be a stretch, but from reading that interview excerpt that someone posted, the game length complaints from people who have been able to get their hands on the game, and the statement that the game ends abruptly with a cliffhanger, it actually does sound like they took a game that would be 30 hours or more in total and deliberately sliced it into 3 short pieces.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:

This game was delayed like 2 years.

Top Bottom