• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

Kobun Heat said:
Hey guys. So just to clear this up: I wouldn't say I tried to get through the game as fast as I could, as I did pretty much all the optional stuff in between missions. What I didn't do was go back to any previous levels to grind, nor did I spend very much time crafting or fiddling with runes or anything like that.

The point that I'm trying to make isn't that a ten-hour game is somehow unacceptable -- I like ten-hour games -- but that Too Human ends just as things are seemingly ramping up. I was genuinely shocked when the credits started rolling. I thought there were at least two levels and some kind of huge confrontation left.
That sounds rather like Halo 2 to my ears. The whole game builds to a confrontation that just doesn't come.

Perdew

duckroll said:
Well, it's true! Superman Returns went through a gazillion directors and rewrites and having actors attached on and off over many many years. But the actual film didn't take all those years to make or film. Too Human is the same way. Of course I'm sure lots of people don't want this to turn out the same way as Superman Returns...... :)

I'm going to have to disagree somewhat. Superman Returns is sort of a bad example, because it did go through so many significant changes in terms of staff, but Dyack has been trying to get this IP running for quite some time. The concept is there; it's had 10 years of evolution. Story-wise, or gameplay wise it's been redefined. If I'm writing a script (I'm a film major, if it's relevant) and then I have to re-write everything because I didn't like how the original turned out... I still count that original, different script as part of pre-production. I don't see why we can't say 'Too Human has been in development for 10 years'. Those '3 years' on the 360 started only after several other attempts that they certainly learned from.

Flavius

[broken record]Shoulda been 4-player coop for this lootfest.[/broken record]

If anything was worth holding it off for another 6 months or so, this is it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Hey guys. So just to clear this up: I wouldn't say I tried to get through the game as fast as I could, as I did pretty much all the optional stuff in between missions. What I didn't do was go back to any previous levels to grind, nor did I spend very much time crafting or fiddling with runes or anything like that.

The point that I'm trying to make isn't that a ten-hour game is somehow unacceptable -- I like ten-hour games -- but that Too Human ends just as things are seemingly ramping up. I was genuinely shocked when the credits started rolling. I thought there were at least two levels and some kind of huge confrontation left.
End game stat page.jpg or it didnt happen.

Kobun Heat said:

So basically it is like "Finish the Fight" all over again?

duckroll said:
I'm not too surprised that it ends on a cliffhanger, I mean you have to ship the game eventually right? :lol

I'll be surprised if it's not really story-driven though. Every Silicon Knights game has been in some way, and if this isn't as story-drive as Legacy of Kain it'll just be totally disappointing. I really don't think Silicon Knights fans are looking forward to the game for the -action gameplay- which they've never been very good at anyway.

Sounds on par with every other SK game. The actual writing and delivery is always pretty ace, even if other things are rough around the corners.

I dunno, the article already states that the "human or cybernetic" hook is just a gameplay decision you make early in the game that is pretty much one or the other. It also has no effect on the story whatsoever. That's really, really disappointing because even way back when it was a 4 disc cyberpunk thriller on the PS1, the idea that appealed to me the most was the concept of a main character that makes gameplay decisions throughout the game that can be balanced between being more machine-like and having much strong raw physical power or remaining more human and using weapons and skills that require more thought.

Since the co-op got gimped though, nothing really surprises me anymore. They probably just had to cut stuff out when they realized that MS actually expects them to ship the game, lawsuit or otherwise. Oh well, tough.

I agree that I'd be surprised if it wasn't story driven as well. If it isn't I'll definitely be disappointed. Also, as you said, I'm not looking forward to this game quite as much for the action gameplay as I am for the story.

I also expect certain things to be rough around the corners and that was evident even in some of the videos. Now that SK has finished this game though. I say they really work on improving their base engine further and try to make the sequel a vast improvement over the first.

The 4 player co-op was a nice thing to have, but ultimately I don't really miss it's exclusion. Although, there is no denying that it would've brought something extra to the overall package.

The human/cybernetic alignment not playing too big a part in the story, doesn't surprise me. I assume that after what will probably have taken place in this game, it will really come into focus in the next game that Baldur really needs to get stronger and the need to cybernetically enhance himself will probably be soemthing that is really getting forced into your head by some of the other gods. I assume it doesn't receive much play in the first game because they feel there were other things that were more important to touch on in this first game and I won't really know whether it was a good or bad idea until I check out the story myself.

All in all, what was said is pretty much as expected. For this game, I'm expecting a metacritic between 83-90. That seems like a safe bet to take into consideration what I assume will be the some hate it, some love it, crowd amongst reviewers.

Oh Kobun you didn't play around with the runes!? Blasphemy. That's something I'm definitely going to try to see how I can enhance my various weapons and such. I'll def be trying crafting to some degree. Even if not a lot of it. How well it's handled will depend on how much time I spend on it.

duckroll

Kobun Heat said:

put up or shut up.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! lolz. :(

WrikaWrek

Banned
Perdew said:
I'm going to have to disagree somewhat. Superman Returns is sort of a bad example, because it did go through so many significant changes in terms of staff, but Dyack has been trying to get this IP running for quite some time. The concept is there; it's had 10 years of evolution. Story-wise, or gameplay wise it's been redefined. If I'm writing a script (I'm a film major, if it's relevant) and then I have to re-write everything because I didn't like how the original turned out... I still count that original, different script as part of pre-production. I don't see why we can't say 'Too Human has been in development for 10 years'. Those '3 years' on the 360 started only after several other attempts that they certainly learned from.

Too human on PSX -> completely different type of game.

Production on the game only started again when they finished MGS TTS, and is a completely different game than the PSX one.

So no, it wasn't 10 years in development, the gameplay wasn't refined because you don't refine gameplay by writing it.

Seriously, stop with the 10 year bullshit. Or we will have to go back to when the idea of games even started in the mind of the devs, which means that many games have been in development for decades maybe.

duckroll

WrikaWrek said:
Seriously, stop with the 10 year bullshit. Or we will have to go back to when the idea of games even started in the mind of the devs, which means that many games have been in development for decades maybe.

I get dibs on starting a "Infinite Undiscovery has been in development for OVER 10 years" meme! Gotanda said in the first IU Famitsu interview that the concept of the game is something he's wanted to do for over 10 years now! :D

It does seem kinda like a wtf moment though to get it snatched away from right when the game really ramps up :lol

So then it may very well come up to how good that eventual climax is and how good is the build up towards it. I'll be judging a great deal on that.

Themes of all 3 Too Human Games are as follows.

Discovery - Too Human 1
Revenge - Too Human 2
Enlightenment - Too Human 3

So I at least hope I make some interesting discoveries in the first game. Probably wont have the opportunity to really confront the source of that discovery till the second game? Who knows.

Duck I completely forgot about that. What is with the 360 and games that have been in development for "10 years" :lol

Well to counter that at least the White Engine will have been in development for twice that amount ;)

I'm joking, I'm joking :)

fernoca

Ehr..
Why is anyone surprised about the "abrupt ending?"..
It's been the intention since...they got the contract with Microsoft..
-Make it a trilogy
-3 "short" games, rather than one long game (Dyack was slammed around here when he said that...too..)

I prefer to have quality or quantity especially if majority of that quantity wouldn't be good.

I say it's smart to keep the game as focused as possible. Get in get out with a really solid game. Go all out for the sequel.

duckroll

fernoca said:
Ehr..
Why is anyone surprised about the "abrupt ending?"..
It's been the intention since...they got the contract with Microsoft..
-Make it a trilogy
-3 "short" games, rather than one long game (Dyack was slammed around here when he said that...too..)

Because he specifically said that each game will be a complete experience and not one game broken into 3.

fernoca

duckroll said:
Because he specifically said that each game will be a complete experience and not one game broken into 3.
Come on..
Seeing how many around here consider him a liar or that he talks too much and everything, while then believe on what he said? Selective reading?

According to GAF, Dyack basically taks sh*t everytime..yet, he says that about a "complete experience" and it is the truth? Or faith? :p

Kittonwy

Banned
Oh come on, you guyz are being too harsh, you haven't even played teh game yet, in order to judge it properly yall should buy teh game first, play it through, THEN judge it.
Indifferent2.gif

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm not sure what the big deal is, 10hrs is perfectly fine for a game that will take at least 3 playthroughs to get to the max character level.

duckroll

Okay, I don't want to hear anymore shit about a 10 year dev time. Not a single post more. It is simply untrue that the game has been in development for 10 years and anyone continuing this horrible meme will be subject to the hammer.

fernoca said:
Come on..
Seeing how many around here consider him a liar or that he talks too much and everything, while then believe on what he said? Selective reading?

According to GAF, Dyack basically taks sh*t everytime..yet, he says that about a "complete experience" and it is the truth? Or faith? :p

He talks a lot of shit, and this is just another example of it if it's true. That's all I'm saying.

duckroll said:

That's true he did say that.

One thing I always felt though is that, the game being a complete experience, knowing full well some of the other events to come, would be hard to do. There had to be some real opening for the sequel and I assume SK decided to end on a big note.

Some more from the Wired blog (really good writeup I think)

Steve Henefin's music is of course wonderful, although I felt like it barely got its chance to shine. I'd love to see a soundtrack release like the masterfully crafted Eternal Darkness music CD, which, rather than just stacking up all the in-game music tracks one after the other, blended them all together into an extended, polished, highly listenable whole.

And just so I can reference Eternal Darkness one more time, let me say that the game's "cyberspace" sections are as close as Too Human comes to re-creating that same vibe. Every now and then, you'll enter cyberspace, which is described as being a virtual representation of what the world used to look like. It used to have trees, mountains, and bodies of water -- in short, a verdant paradise. (Now it's just buildings, darkness, and robots and stuff.)

Although your first trip into cyberspace introduces some very light puzzle elements, these drop out quickly, and trips into the trees are primarily for storytelling and item collection -- some of the best items in the game are tucked away in here. But it's wandering in the chilly silence of cyberspace that I started to get that eerie feeling of meddling in affairs I didn't belong in, of some grander story behind the scenes that I was just a puppet in.

And it's clear that something sinister is going on, but Too Human doesn't even begin to address it. Just as the story is ramping up and we get a big revelation about Baldur, the game's over. I was genuinely shocked when the credit roll began, as I felt sure there was so much more left, and I was just truly getting to grips with the combat and had some nice new armor and items that I had spent a bunch of cash to craft.

It's ironic, considering that one of my favorite "sanity effect" tricks that (ahem) Eternal Darkness pulls on you is when the game suddenly stops after a few hours and you see a message that reads something like "Thank you for playing! Continue your adventure in Eternal Darkness 2, coming soon." Five years later, Too Human does the same thing -- except seriously. :lol

I assume that perhaps one of the most amazing musical scores comes on right as the game is ending and it really got the player anxious to continue and then it ended :)

So the person playing the game had a feeling something sinister was going on, but didn't really understand what it was because the game wasn't addressing it, but I assume the game had to have clearly done enough things to make him suspect that there was something more sinister afoot. Assuming by what he says, I guess what that truly was, wasn't revealed until the end, but it was being teased, perhaps, maybe through how some people in the story were acting.

Well the complete experience thing was always up in the air wasn't it? I mean how do you have each game end in a complete experience without having something big happen or something else still be a complete mystery to you. With the mythology, perhaps by complete experience, Denis must mean that they fully accomplished their theme of "discovery" for game one and felt that was the complete experience. A theme of discovery doesn't necessarily mean you get to confront that discovery. Know what I'm saying?

Theme of the second game is Revenge so that one right there should've been the red flag that something would happen at the end of game 1 that would leave Baldur wanting to get revenge. I think if Too Human 1 ended on too happy or peaceful a note then the second game would seem forced as if a sequel was never really planned. So I guess it's good to have some event that leads the player into the second game. Dyack also talked a lot about that very thing.

Saying movies or games that never intended to be trilogies from the get go always show signs of making up things as they go. So I suppose this is their way of trying to prevent that and show that all 3 games really are interconnected into one entire experience.

Tobor

Kobun Heat said:

Fair enough. I was one of the ones who called you out on generally rushing through games , but to be fair, you copped to it yourself on Retronauts. Did you get a % finished after completion?

I still get the feeling that I'll get closer to 20 hours. I take my time with games like this, and I'll most definitely be fiddling with runes.

clutha

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
Some games, yes, but that hasn't been Nintendo's norm in recent years. OoT had a long public development cycle, as did Goldeneye.

Both companies have been more secretive for current-gen than the previous two.

No, none of their crap has been in the same league as Too Human's delays, but nothing has been except Duke Nukem Forever. Furthermore, part of the entire problem with Too Human was that they were forced to go public when Dyack did not.

Some one is making another Duke Nukem, cool! ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
purg3 said:
I'm not sure what the big deal is, 10hrs is perfectly fine for a game that will take at least 3 playthroughs to get to the max character level.

Not everybody would want to play through the game 3 times to max out his or her character, the first playthrough should have enough satisfying gameplay to give the player a more complete experience. Maxing out shit is just a game mechanic, it should not be a more important reason to play the game than having a compelling campaign, the difference for a game like HALO 3 or COD4 or Uncharted is that the campaign itself is compelling with interesting set-pieces and scenarios regardless of whether the player wants to replay the game just to mess around with shit.

chase

Have people calling Dyack arrogant read their own posts, or the tone of posts directed against the game? It's like you're trying to be hypocrites. It's perfectly possible to post negative opinions without sounding like a douchebag. Watch:

The fact that the story is such a non-factor is incredibly disappointing, especially coming from the dev of ED and Kain.

And the game shouldn't have been sold as an RPG if its story is so undeveloped, and it's length is about 15 hours.

It's easy. You don't have to try to be a Drinky Crow or drohne just because this is GAF. It's okay, really! :)

Tom Penny said:
The problem is none of it looks good. Then what are you left with?

That's just your opinion. I reserve my right to respectfully disagree.

Well Kittowny, that would mean that Too Human, as I think I've said many times before, really wasn't suppose to be seen as this big Diablo clone so much as it was suppose to be seen as a singleplayer story that just happens to have elements of a game like Diablo as one of it's core gameplay mechanics.

I think expanding the game for the purpose of the player being guaranteed to max their stuff out would have been a bad decision. Especially if the story truly is as set in stone as Denis has been saying it's been for the last couple years.

Zenith

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
I prefer to have quality or quantity especially if majority of that quantity wouldn't be good.

I'll think I'll go for a game that provides both.

but he also said this:

Denis Dyack: The Unreal Engine 3 has been one of the best strategic decisions that we made coming into this new generation of gaming. It has allowed us to start production on gameplay immediately while also allowing our art staff to start art asset production. Previously we have developed our own technology and there would be a lag of game development anywhere between 6-12 months working on the technology before the actually game could go into full production. By using the Unreal Technology 3 engine we are able focus on content, start production sooner and deliver a polished game like never before. With our previous engine experience we are also able to heavily customize the engine to our needs. The final bonus is that while Epic continually updates their engine, we can take these updates and incorporate them into the trilogy as development continues. Overall, we see this as a huge win.

Zenith said:
I'll think I'll go for a game that provides both.

but he also said this:

Oh come on.. that's just marketing talk especially around the time when he THOUGHT everything that was promised would be delivered as sold to them by Epic.

I'm not trying to take a side, but it did seem pretty much certain that it wasn't just SK that had problems with UE3 and that they were telling the truth about the state of the engine. A whole host of games got delayed and many of them had to given practically the entire code base for Gears of War to help remedy the situation.

Based on what we saw, it does seem that SK has a case. Of course they are going to try to say the most polite thing possible publicly, but everyone has a limit.

Chris, lets use our heads on this one. Do you honestly believe that every person who picks up a copy of Too Human will finish the game in 10 hours? It's perfectly believable that a game that can be completed in 10 hours in the hands of a different player can be completed in 17 or maybe even 20. Gamers aren't well oiled machines we don't all do things at the same pace. That 17 hours is perfectly believable. It seems at this point that people are just looking for things to fake outrage over. It's one thing to be disappointed at the thought that the game might be a 10 hour game, but to instantly follow it up with a "so much for more that 17 hour to complete blog post" is ridiculous because you assume that the game can't actually be completed in 17 or more because I assure you it can.

It took me 19 hours to beat Gears of War. On my third playthrough of Mass Effect I'm more than 20 something hours in and I've only done 2 real missions. Remember the early reviews of how fast some could beat Mass Effect? Are those facts? Some beat Tales of the Abyss in 20 hours. Some took 70-80.

duckroll

CowboyAstronaut said:
Based on what we saw, it does seem that SK has a case.

What did we see? I know what I saw. I saw Mass Effect come out, and I finished it. I saw Lost Odyssey come out, and I finished it. Maybe if SK wasn't so busy whining about it, their game would be out by now?

Kittonwy

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
That's just your opinion. I reserve my right to respectfully disagree.

Well Kittowny, that would mean that Too Human, as I think I've said many times before, really wasn't suppose to be seen as this big Diablo clone so much as it was suppose to be seen as a singleplayer story that just happens to have elements of a game like Diablo as one of it's core gameplay mechanics.

I think expanding the game for the purpose of the player being guaranteed to max their stuff out would have been a bad decision. Especially if the story truly is as set in stone as Denis has been saying it's been for the last couple years.

After so many failed comparisons, can anyone be really sure what Too Human is supposed to be anymore?

I don't think one should expand the game for the purpose of allowing the player to max out one's character, but rather provide additional interesting and fun gameplay scenarios for the player, the whole menu-driven character growth aspect should be a secondary or tertiary goal while the primary goal should be giving the player interesting and diverse things to do inside the game.

It's not like a game like Zelda would have a ton of menu-driven crap for the player to do, but what the player can do inside the game world is what captures and maintains the player's interest throughout the experience: combat, puzzles and traversal, the point for character growth would be to motivate the player to keep playing to obtain really cool skills that can apply to combat/traversal/puzzles, same with a game like Okami. It's like the plasmids in Bioshock, instead of just being "armor +50 power +15% def +10%", the actual benefits of skills should be much more tangible like fire, ice, electricity, bees, telekinesis, invisibility, etc.

Monocle

Good article. I think now I finally have a sense of what Too Human actually is: a modern dungeon crawler with a few twists. I've been looking for a fun new co-op game for some time, and Too Human might turn out to be what I'm after. Ten hours seems awfully short for the kind of experience Too Human is apparently intended to provide (new game+ might--might--compensate for this. We'll have to see), and the MTV blog article's description of the gameplay mechanics left me unimpressed. As usual, I'm waiting for a demo to help me make my final call.

Nolan.

duckroll said:
What did we see? I know what I saw. I saw Mass Effect come out, and I finished it. I saw Lost Odyssey come out, and I finished it. Maybe if SK wasn't so busy whining about it, their game would be out by now?

And maybe people would be a lot more forgiving for any shortfalls.

Geoff9920 said:
Just noticed 1up posted this article. They also had a bit to say about coop. Figured I'd post since the wired article didn't discuss it.

Sounds good, is there no "apprenticeship" for lower levels teaming with higher levels? I swear I read that somewhere.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds like some are butt hurt that this game isn't turning out to be the AAA title they were promised/hoping for.

duckroll said:

Well, what the guys managed to do with Lost Odyssey was just downright impressive, but isn't it obvious that SK wasn't the only developer that had serious issues with the engine?

A lot of games were delayed. I know Mass Effect never had an official release date, but it was expected to be a 2006 title along with a range of others. If what SK was saying was true, a lot of things were promised and were supposed to be delivered to them at specific dates, per epic's own words, and it just never happened. I suppose SK's case is more extreme since they seemed to have really bought into UE3 as the backbone of all their development efforts?

Either way with all the companies licensing the engine, I imagine Epic had to be stretched far too thin.

Kittowny you make a fantastic point, but whose to say that other gamers wont actually have the motivation to continue building out their character based on what is provided in Too Human as we speak? Not every game will be the same. I think he said right as he was getting use to combat and story was ramping up it ended?

I'm only going to concentrate on that combat statement. That wouldn't have been the case for me. If I find the gameplay enjoyable, and it has seemed that way for me from some videos I've seen and liked, I will most definitely be going back to previous levels and getting into more fights for extra drops, loot and to level up more. One thing Denis mentioned before that a lot of people sometimes forget is that Just because you've been to an area in the game before doesn't mean that the enemy layout will be exactly what it was the last time you checked that area out. A room that was filled with all goblins can now be filled with all trolls or all ice goblins or something else entirely.

The guy, I think, also mentioned he didn't bother to backtrack at all? I think we could easily have seen 15-18 or even 20 hours out of this game if he did backtrack. If he was just getting use to the combat come close to end game and just recently crafting some stuff, I assume for the first time since he did mention he didn't really mess around much with runes and crafting (there are many runes in Too Human) then it would've been a benefit to go back to previous levels. It isn't like the enemy layout would've been the same.

duckroll said:

I know I read reviews stating Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey had glaring technical issues, whilst the previews I've been reading are stating Too Human has none.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Sounds like some are butt hurt that this game isn't turning out to be the AAA title they were promised/hoping for.

Have you been reading GAF as of late? Most of us awaiting it weren't expecting an AAA title (not that they even exist) and are disappointed with what one preview had to say about the narrative.

Top Bottom