• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired play through all of Too Human

clutha

Neo Member
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I cannot believe that with 120 people and with 4 years of development, Denis Dyack's team didn't manage to make this game a AAA title. Holy crap.

IMHO the opposite is tru... missed/delayed dates normally ='s missed/overstated features/promises.

Agree???

Doc Evils

WrikaWrek said:
It's just incredible. The team isn't small (120 people right?), rumors say the budget isn't small, the game was delayed for a long period of time, it has like 10 years of dev time, and they can't even come out with something that at least looks polished?

I don't understand. There's a word for that, incompetence.

FIXED

Busty

Banned
GauntletFan said:
All this whining about hours of gameplay.. who gives a shit as long as it's quality gameplay? I'd rather have short games with good gameplay than long drawn out affairs I never finish. To be honest I'm amazed half you guys have the time for 15-20 hour games, let alone 30 or 40 hour ones. I'm assuming most of you haven't got jobs or aren't in relationships?

So by that reasoning you'd rather have a gaming experience like MGS4 condensed into two hours of brilliant gameplay so you still have enough to sit and watch Ghost Whisperer with the Missus?

hc2

Alone In The Dark, Too Human--> disappointed.
Fallout 3 better live up to the hype or I might have to turn on the PS3!! :lol

Yaweee

clutha said:
IMHO the opposite is tru... missed/delayed dates normally ='s missed/overstated features/promises.

Agree???

No. When Nintendo or Rare delays a game into oblivion, they actually turn out pretty damn good.

duckroll

Yeah, let's cut the 10 year development time shit out. It's about as accurate as Superman Returns taking 10 years to make. The circumstances are the same.

Dunlop

justjohn said:
needs more mabuza trolling.

lol, didn't he claim to purchase a 360 back at the price drop ? I for one one believe him....

This game will be a rental, they should just not release it until they figure out how to put 4 player CO-OP back in.

Orlics

10 hours is really good considering that SK's entire rationale for splitting this into a trilogy was that they don't want to have a "25-hour game." When I read this I expected Too Human to end up lasting 8-9 hours.

rhino4evr said:
When I last checked this was a thread about Wired impressions. Which were basically
too short, lack of story focus, and repetitive and frustrating gameplay.

SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER!!
You've omitted the positive things that he did mention about the game and overstated the way that he described the negatives. Also it's important to note (it's been mentioned by several others) that this is a ARPG which tends to be repetitive and short by traditional rpg standards. The whole point in games like this (Diablo, PSO etc.) is replay and loot.

Busty said:
So by that reasoning you'd rather have a gaming experience like MGS4 condensed into two hours of brilliant gameplay so you still have enough to sit and watch Ghost Whisperer with the Missus?

Seeing as you can complete MGS4 in under 3 hours already, I don't think it needs condensing any more :p

Yaweee said:
No. When Nintendo or Rare delays a game into oblivion, they actually turn out pretty damn good.

When Valve do it they end up making some of the best games ever. But in all fairness most companies go the Lionhead rout.

duckroll

Orlics said:
10 hours is really good considering that SK's entire rationale for splitting this into a trilogy was that they don't want to have a "25-hour game." When I read this I expected Too Human to end up lasting 8-9 hours.

I don't see how that's a good thing at all. So you would rather buy three 10 hour games than one 30 hour game? .hack is a good example of a game being split up on purpose, and it's awful.

clutha

Neo Member
duckroll said:
I don't see how that's a good thing at all. So you would rather buy three 10 hour games than one 30 hour game? .hack is a good example of a game being split up on purpose, and it's awful.

Agreed. How is this a good thing?

I'll probably still give the game a chance no matter what - I have faith in SK to at least deliver a quality experience, even if it's a short one. Besides, I LOVED Eternal Darkness and that got mixed reviews.

Speaking of which...If you're reading this Dennis, Eternal Darkness 2 please!!

Orlics

duckroll said:

Well, I'd have preferred if they kept it one game of course, but I said it's good insofar that it's longer than I expected it to be, after reading that they had already planned to split it into 3 from the start. This was in one of the earliest Too Human previews, possibly the one with Shane from EGM.

FIREBABY

duckroll said:
Yeah, let's cut the 10 year development time shit out. It's about as accurate as Superman Returns taking 10 years to make. The circumstances are the same.
:lol :lol WOW! I am in tears. By the way did DD ever clarify his wager/bet?

pn18

Banned
pedrothelion said:
You've omitted the positive things that he did mention about the game and overstated the way that he described the negatives. Also it's important to note (it's been mentioned by several others) that this is a ARPG which tends to be repetitive and short by traditional rpg standards. The whole point in games like this (Diablo, PSO etc.) is replay and loot.
But at least they are/look like fun. TH simply don't.

duckroll

Orlics said:
Well, I'd have preferred if they kept it one game of course, but I said it's good insofar that it's longer than I expected it to be, after reading that they had already planned to split it into 3 from the start. This was in one of the earliest Too Human previews, possibly the one with Shane from EGM.

Yeah but they also said that the reason they were making shorter games in a trilogy is so they can get each game out faster and not spend 3-4 years making a single game. How did that turn out?

FIREBABY said:
:lol :lol WOW! I am in tears. By the way did DD ever clarify his wager/bet?

I don't see what's so funny. I'm serious. People need to cut the crap. Too Human didn't take 10 years to develop. The IP has just been in existance in some form or other for 10 years. But it's still taking a really long that. At least 3 years of dev time for this game.

clutha

Neo Member
Yaweee said:

Fair enough.. but do they promote/discuss the game in the same fashion that we've seen with Too Human? Appreciate your thoughts...

rhino4evr

pedrothelion said:
You've omitted the positive things that he did mention about the game and overstated the way that he described the negatives. Also it's important to note (it's been mentioned by several others) that this is a ARPG which tends to be repetitive and short by traditional rpg standards. The whole point in games like this (Diablo, PSO etc.) to replay and loot.

Ok, fair enough. The positives I read were all countered by negatives. So..I wouldn't get too excited.

For example:
Building your character starts to become fun...but then the game ends.
The story starts to get good----then the game ends
The combat is a main focus.....but it's repeative and somewhat frustrating.

Co-op is not mentioned and im sure that will be a huge draw for most.

Were there any positive impressions that didn't have counter problems?

Im still going to rent this, but based on these impressions alone. I won't be buying.

Orlics

duckroll said:
Yeah but they also said that the reason they were making shorter games in a trilogy is so they can get each game out faster and not spend 3-4 years making a single game. How did that turn out?

I can imagine that the game without being split into 3 would never have come out at all. At least we have something.

Tom Penny said:
Ten hour campaign = automatic fail :lol I can't recall any RPG I Played that was that short.

There is your first mistake. Too Human may have RPG elements, but it has always been a singleplayer story driven experience.

I wont pretend to act that I'm not disappointed by the 10 hour finish, but with that said, there have been many games this gen that people have told me they've finished in 14 hours that have taken me 30 or more. People said to me that Mass Effect was a short game too and I'm on my third playthrough about 29 hours in and I've only done 2 missions that are critical to advancing the story.

Eden Prime and the human colony that had that gigantic alien plant on it. Rest have been random assignments. If it really ends up being a 10 hour game then I hope those 10 hours are great. My biggest reason for being interested is the story. Plus, as others have mentioned, they said quite a while go they were splitting the game up into parts.

pn18 said:
But at least they are/look like fun. TH simply don't.
To me the game play looks infinitely more fun then PSO. IMO it looks like your basic ARPG with mouse clicks replaced by pointing with the directional stick. I still think that the 2 player co-op is hugely disappointing. Hopefully a demo comes out soon.

FIREBABY

duckroll said:
I don't see what's so funny. I'm serious. People need to cut the crap. Too Human didn't take 10 years to develop. The IP has just been in existance in some form or other for 10 years. But it's still taking a really long that. At least 3 years of dev time for this game.
What's so funny is the Superman Returns reference. Not laughing at you, but if the game is that bad I'll explode in a fit of anger and laughter. Sad that you are serious though. I do agree with you on the time thing. Stop blaming the time and blame the dev at hand. Still for the game though.

Why are people desperately trying to compare this to Lair? A game that, for all intents and purposes, people thought was going to be good well up until it's release, and that, the Publisher behind it had placed quite a bit of emphasis on?

If Mass Effect had sucked, that would have been comparable to Lair.

We all know that TH isn't a killer app at this point.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of this type of game at all so I could really care less, however, for the record, I don't think people should be placing so much emphasis on how long it takes other people to beat games. I think that if you run through it, you can be just about any game in a days time.

rhino4evr said:

Hence you replay the game to improve them further, even we a friend! That kind of is the main selling point of the game, beyond the story that according to one person it's fallen flat in.

duckroll

FIREBABY said:
What's so funny is the Superman Returns reference. Not laughing at you, but if the game is that bad I'll explode in a fit of anger and laughter. Sad that you are serious though. I do agree with you on the time thing. Stop blaming the time and blame the dev at hand. Still for the game though.

Well, it's true! Superman Returns went through a gazillion directors and rewrites and having actors attached on and off over many many years. But the actual film didn't take all those years to make or film. Too Human is the same way. Of course I'm sure lots of people don't want this to turn out the same way as Superman Returns...... :)

Yaweee

clutha said:
Fair enough.. but do they promote/discuss the game in the same fashion that we've seen with Too Human? Appreciate your thoughts...

Some games, yes, but that hasn't been Nintendo's norm in recent years. OoT had a long public development cycle, as did Goldeneye.

Both companies have been more secretive for current-gen than the previous two.

No, none of their crap has been in the same league as Too Human's delays, but nothing has been except Duke Nukem Forever. Furthermore, part of the entire problem with Too Human was that they were forced to go public when Dyack did not.

dmshaposv

duckroll said:

Agreed. The game probably took 3 or 4 years to make realistically.

That said, I don't mind 10 hours if its 10 FUN hours. However, the deterimental factor here is how repeatitive the gameplay turns out to be - this could make or break the game for me.

As before, I won't touch this game unless it gets generally favourable reviews - and if that article is to go by - things don't seem to be shaping up positively for DD and co.

From the Wired Blog

Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours, and the story of cybernetically-enhanced Norse gods ends with a cliffhanger.

This surprises me since I thought all 3 games would feel like a complete experience, but then it doesn't surprise me that SOME aspect of the story had to end in a cliffhanger.

No, Too Human is not the story-driven Silicon Knights title that we the long-suffering fans of Eternal Darkness have been waiting for these last five years.

If it isn't story driven, then it's nothing at all. So, I wont believe this line until I play for myself. Judging from the statements he made, it seems the game really is story driven, just probably not to the degree that he was expecting. Or not to the degree of Eternal Darkness?

Too Human does have a story, and it's told well. Baldur's interaction with the rest of the pantheon of Norse gods and goddesses never fails to be riveting, mostly because of judicious editing. The story scenes are not especially lengthy, but the writing is tight and the plot takes some very intriguing twists and turns.

I really like the sound of this line.

Sadly, one of the game's main story hooks -- the fact that Baldur is torn between keeping his human characteristics or cybernetically enhancing himself -- doesn't get a whole lot of screen time.

Not surprised because this is the first of 3 games. Each game is suppose to have an entirely different central theme and come the end of the entire trilogy you're suppose to get the impression of what it really means to be human. I believe the theme of game one is discovery, then the theme of the second game is revenge?

rhino4evr said:
Ok, fair enough. The positives I read were all countered by negatives. So..I wouldn't get too excited.

For example:
The story starts to get good----then the game ends
The combat is a main focus.....but it's repeative and somewhat frustrating.

Co-op is not mentioned and im sure that will be a huge draw for most.

Were there any positive impressions that didn't have counter problems?

Im still going to rent this, but based on these impressions alone. I won't be buying.
I will say that the direction they took the story is disappointing. As far as the other two complaints that you mentioned those are both inherent in ARPG game play. You “complete” the game (usually between 10-15 hours) and then you replay it with the same character it on a harder difficulty to level up and grind for better loot. Combat is always repetitive with ARPG.

rhino4evr

duckroll said:
Well, it's true! Superman Returns went through a gazillion directors and rewrites and having actors attached on and off over many many years. But the actual film didn't take all those years to make or film. Too Human is the same way. Of course I'm sure lots of people don't want this to turn out the same way as Superman Returns...... :)

I actually liked Superman Returns.

but I understand your point. Saying this has been in development for 10 years is stupid. It's more like 3-4. The reason there is so much hype is directly related to the amount of praise from Dyack's mouth in interviews, his posts on this board, and his childlike reaction to criticism. The whole thing has turned me off a bit. It's a shame because I loved ED.

Flavius

From an enthusiast's standpoint:

1. Length of development cycle? = irrelevant.

2. Length of game? = irrelevant.

3. Is it an enjoyable experience? = this.

Is anyone really surprised by this preview? If you've been following along, this would only seem to confirm what most of us were expecting.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

duckroll

CowboyAstronaut said:
From the Wired Blog

Too Human's campaign in a little over ten hours, and the story of cybernetically-enhanced Norse gods ends with a cliffhanger.

This surprises me since I thought all 3 games would feel like a complete experience, but then it doesn't surprise me that SOME aspect of the story had to end in a cliffhanger.

No, Too Human is not the story-driven Silicon Knights title that we the long-suffering fans of Eternal Darkness have been waiting for these last five years.

If it isn't story driven, then it's nothing at all. So, I wont believe this line until I play for myself. Judging from the statements he made, it seems the game really is story driven, just probably not to the degree that he was expecting. Or not to the degree of Eternal Darkness?

I'm not too surprised that it ends on a cliffhanger, I mean you have to ship the game eventually right? :lol

I'll be surprised if it's not really story-driven though. Every Silicon Knights game has been in some way, and if this isn't as story-drive as Legacy of Kain it'll just be totally disappointing. I really don't think Silicon Knights fans are looking forward to the game for the -action gameplay- which they've never been very good at anyway.

Too Human does have a story, and it's told well. Baldur's interaction with the rest of the pantheon of Norse gods and goddesses never fails to be riveting, mostly because of judicious editing. The story scenes are not especially lengthy, but the writing is tight and the plot takes some very intriguing twists and turns.

I really like the sound of this line.

Sounds on par with every other SK game. The actual writing and delivery is always pretty ace, even if other things are rough around the corners.

Sadly, one of the game's main story hooks -- the fact that Baldur is torn between keeping his human characteristics or cybernetically enhancing himself -- doesn't get a whole lot of screen time.

Not surprised because this is the first of 3 games. Each game is suppose to have an entirely different central theme and come the end of the entire trilogy you're suppose to get the impression of what it really means to be human. I believe the theme of game one is discovery, then the theme of the second game is revenge?

I dunno, the article already states that the "human or cybernetic" hook is just a gameplay decision you make early in the game that is pretty much one or the other. It also has no effect on the story whatsoever. That's really, really disappointing because even way back when it was a 4 disc cyberpunk thriller on the PS1, the idea that appealed to me the most was the concept of a main character that makes gameplay decisions throughout the game that can be balanced between being more machine-like and having much strong raw physical power or remaining more human and using weapons and skills that require more thought.

Since the co-op got gimped though, nothing really surprises me anymore. They probably just had to cut stuff out when they realized that MS actually expects them to ship the game, lawsuit or otherwise. Oh well, tough.

rhino4evr said:
this is for 100% guys. How long did it take you completionists to finish GTA4 at 100% (60-80 hours?) Mass Effect (30-40)?

17 hours to collect EVERYTHING still seems short.

It took me 22 hours in Prime 3 to collect everything, and that was a shooter.
yea but its Mr. Dyack's game which means he already knew where everything was

from Wird Blog

All throughout the combat, you'll constantly be jumping into the pause menu to tweak Baldur's stats. Every time you level up, you'll earn Skill Points that can be dropped into a wide variety of different areas that enhance your powers or open up new ones. And you'll constantly be picking up a garbage bag full of different pieces of armor and items from fallen foes and treasure chests, so you'll be going into the menu to change your equipment quite a bit.

The game doesn't do a great job on its own explaining how all this stuff works, though. If you don't read videogame manuals, you might want to start with Too Human's. Things can get a bit frustrating because of this gap between what Baldur is capable of and what it's possible to figure out on your own. This is especially true when you're going up against bigger baddies, like giant troll-robots, who will very probably kill you a great deal before you work out some effective strategies. And even then they'll probably kill you quite a bit.

Luckily for Baldur, there is almost zero penalty attached to death. When you die, a robotic Valkyrie descends from the sky and carries you up to Valhalla, and Valhalla sends you straight back a few steps away from where you bit it. The penalty is that your weapons and armor take damage, and if you die too much they will be useless -- but even then, you can repair them later, and there's always more armor and weapons to be had.

As I said after watching the game's opening sequences at this year's Game Developers Conference, Too Human is technically a very well-done game. All the loading times are concealed. The framerate is generally smooth. There's no pop-in, there's no gaps between the story and gameplay. Everything runs seamlessly together and looks very nice. The humans are perhaps the one exception -- although I like the design of many of the characters, they're still stuck deep in the uncanny valley.

It sounds like SK, did a good job all things considered. I actually like the line about him feeling he had to go into the control manual. It gives me hope that you'll be finding out quite a bit of new things. I'm eager to see what others say about the game.

No pop-in, all loading times concealed, smooth framerate. No gaps between story and gameplay. Sounding good.

Seems there are also a lot of drops and, as expected, I'll be spending a lot of time messing with his stats and equipment.

Dunlop

rhino4evr said:

o_O

Whatever genius took Bryan Singer away from doing X-Men 3 and put him on Superman Returns needs to be tar and feathered.

instead we ended up with 2 shitty superhero movies that summer

Personal opinion of course....

Flavius

Dunlop said:
o_O

Whatever genius took Bryan Singer away from doing X-Men 3 and put him on Superman Returns needs to be tar and feathered.

instead we ended up with 2 shitty superhero movies that summer

Personal opinion of course....

I'm pretty sure the genius was Bryan Singer himself.

Also, Apt Pupil still rocks.

/end derail

Proelite

Hmmm, the fact that it's really technically polished is a huge plus in my book. I hate technical issues more than anything else.

chase

"No, Too Human is not the story-driven Silicon Knights title that we the long-suffering fans of Eternal Darkness have been waiting for these last five years."

Come on, Denis!! :(

FIREBABY

rhino4evr said:

but I understand your point. Saying this has been in development for 10 years is stupid. It's more like 3-4. The reason there is so much hype is directly related to the amount of praise from Dyack's mouth in interviews, his posts on this board, and his childlike reaction to criticism. The whole thing has turned me off a bit. It's a shame because I loved ED.
Shame on you! They took 1 of the greatest characters in comics and turned it into 2hr joke. Now if SK has done that with one of my favorite characters in Norse mythology, I'll be the first to grab the torch and pitchfork. There has been plenty of over hyped games released the past year. So Denis pimping his own game and tring to defend it should be looked at no different. If it sucks it will fit in right the rest of the overhyped games. Even though I will still get the game I'm not hyped for it the way I was for some of these blockbuster games. And they all have disappointed the hell out of me. So while my my hype is lowered for Too Human, it leaves more room for something special if its there. Lowered expectations FTW.

Hey guys. So just to clear this up: I wouldn't say I tried to get through the game as fast as I could, as I did pretty much all the optional stuff in between missions. What I didn't do was go back to any previous levels to grind, nor did I spend very much time crafting or fiddling with runes or anything like that.

The point that I'm trying to make isn't that a ten-hour game is somehow unacceptable -- I like ten-hour games -- but that Too Human ends just as things are seemingly ramping up. I was genuinely shocked when the credits started rolling. I thought there were at least two levels and some kind of huge confrontation left.

Geoff9920

Just noticed 1up posted this article. They also had a bit to say about coop. Figured I'd post since the wired article didn't discuss it.
1up Too Human Preview said:
Co-op

Everything went smoothly in the sessions we played; only minutes after signing on, we were running around together in the game's first level, the Hall of Heroes. The experience is somewhat streamlined, in the anticipation that you'll be playing through multiple times. The additional bear and wolf squads that join you in the campaign are gone, as are the cut-scenes and tutorials. The first wave of enemies ambushed us within moments of the game starting, and we immediately noticed that not only was their location different than in the single-player game; but there were also a whole lot more of them. The enemies also scale to match up with the highest level member of the party. This keeps the competition coming, but it also made it hard to team our level 16 Defender with a level 32 Champion. Often, the Defender was forced to hang back and wait for the Champion to make a dent in the herd, as the Defender could only handle a few blows from the stronger, higher-level enemies.

Still, that takes nothing away from how much fun we had playing together with two characters of roughly the same level. And on the technical front, we had a positive online play experience, encountering little to no lag and voice-chat problems; no matter how frenetic the onscreen action got, no ugly, debilitating networking issues raised their head. Too Human appears to be right on track to satisfy everyone looking forward to late-night, rare-drop dungeon runs.

Top Bottom