• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 downgrade arguments in here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genio88

2504401-6535952199-ip9VU.gif

BoEVirV.png

cWf3DID.png

As always we have to thank consoles for this, i bet that 2013 demo was developed on PC hoping that the new consoles would have been better, but then low/mid range GPUs and netbook CPUs came and CDPR had to lower the bar

I think what's making it look like a downgrade too is the color palette. It's like they bumped up the color saturation so the colors look more intense, but it just makes it look more cartoony and downgraded. I bet if someone lowered the color saturation on the last one, it would look better.

Yeah, the colors look worse, for sure, but what's more noticeable is the detail. Compare the detail in the 1st versus 3rd, and it's night and day. Tons more detail in the first - more foliage, more people, just far more detail. In comparison, the 3rd is absolutely barren.

rashbeep

Banned
GIF versus screenshots from different platforms and people jumping to conclusions. Never change, GAF! :D

I think the 2015 screens are a fair representation of the PC version as it looks right in line with what we've seen from the abundance of footage.

Edit: I also feel like I'm taking crazy pills if I said I prefer the 2014 and 2015 footage to the 2013 stuff in terms of colours. Really hated that look.

Kaze2212

Implying the game will look anywhere near how it did in 2013.

Gotta be honest here. Everything in the 2nd and 3rd picture looks better except for the foliage. Though how good the new one really looks I only want to judge when I see it in high resolution and uncompressed. But the foliage most definitely has changed.

Edit:
Also the detail difference between the PS4 shot and the other one is probably the difference between consoles and pc. (Not the change in color)

viveks86

Implying the game will look anywhere near how it did in 2013.

Nope. Implying that people jump to conclusions because patience is a rare commodity. I thought we wanted to move forward with an actual technical assessment instead of reinforcing our "feelings" with more unfair comparisons. Guess that's just my goal and not us as a community.

I think the 2015 screens are a fair representation of the PS4 version as it looks right in line with what we've seen from the abundance of youtube footage.

FTFY

...why are PS4 shots being held up as Ultra?

Not that the textures and such will be as good as that target render at release (maybe texture packs and enhanced updates later?), but this is getting downright silly.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Needs to be quoted again. This is getting to what everyone trying to defend this against the claims of downgrades were calling for.

Kind of. They are good comparison shots as far as area, composition, etc.

Big caveat being one is PC Ultra, and one is PS4....

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
As always we have to thank consoles for this, i bet that 2013 demo was developed on PC hoping that the new consoles would have been better, but then low/mid range GPUs and netbook CPUs came and CDPR had to lower the bar

This deffo. Don't we have something somewhere about ubisoft thinking the consoles were stronger, hence watchdogs and unity?. Games got scaled back because of them? I could be totally imagining it. It is a shame. That them focusing more on consoles could have caused this

viveks86

I went through most pics, honestly I prefer how the game looks now, aesthetically, it has a painterly quality to it, despite the vegetation downgrades and whatnot. Maybe someone can mod in AO for the grass. :p

I think none of the recent shots have HBAO enabled. It isn't part of the "uber" preset and is a separate setting (I've personally verified it in their ini files). Will definitely post comparison shots to see if it makes a big difference. I think it will.

Kaze2212

I think none of the recent shots have HBAO enabled. It isn't part of the "uber" preset and is a separate setting (I've personally verified it in their ini files). Will definitely post comparison shots to see if it makes a big difference. I think it will.

The shots in the comparison are from the 35 minute gameplay and PS4 version, right?

Because the shots from the PS4 felt like they were just lacking tesselation in some places and HBAO.

rashbeep

Banned

It definitely will. What I've noticed from 2014 to now are the lighting changes, I preferred the look of the older build to what we've been seeing recently and I don't think an ultra setting will make a difference in that regard.

viveks86

The shots in the comparison are from the 35 minute gameplay and PS4 version, right?

Correct. Other than the fact that they are comparable frames and hence one can look for changes in art and composition, it's a pretty pointless comparison in the context of this thread.

It definitely will. What I've noticed from 2014 to now are the lighting changes, I preferred the look of the older build to what we've been seeing recently and I don't think an ultra setting will make a difference in that regard.

I don't think the lighting has changed from 2014, it certainly has from 2013. Thought it's difficult to argue one way or the other without using the final build and maxing it out. Which is why I plan to use the 5.5 GB video as a baseline for that comparison. If there is nothing noticeable changed there, then we can explore what changes were made before that.

Kaze2212

Regarding the lighting if you look at the sky you see that it is cloudier, so it could be just that. But we will find out next week how the lighting looks during different weather conditions and times of day.

RedSwirl

That last one is a PS4 photo.

I'm not sure why people keep comparing the PC and Console versions.

I was talking about the difference between 2013 and the other two.

That was never gameplay. Secondly, you're just fooling yourself with a drastically different art design into asserting a downgrade when the hair physics, facial textures and environment detail are all superior. Just look at the part of the debut trailer that showcases that clip where Geralt confronts those two guards. He looks like shit.

I always thought that was the most flawed part of the 2013 E3 gameplay debut trailer.

rashbeep

Banned
Regarding the lighting if you look at the sky you see that it is more clouded, so it could be just that. But we will find out next week how the lighting looks during different weather conditions and times of day.

I made a post on page 42 trying to explain what I saw, but yes the comparison will be more fair once we have this game maxed out on our machines and can take proper screenshots with more control over those conditions.

knerl

Definitely a downgrade from 2013. No question there. But the 2014 one just looks like Ultra settings most likely. Differences seem to mostly just be color pallet and NPC density.

Game is gorgeous regardless. Once you get past the "What could have been" sadness from the 2013 stuff, then you will remember we are playing a 9.5/10 game with the best open world graphics currently in existence.

I think we will get a game that looks like 2013 Witcher before the end of this gen. It is kinda too bad this wasn't it though.

You don't know that it isn't.
These images are all low res and from mixed platforms. These images used as a comparison doesn't say anything about whether or not the pc-version has been downgraded. The 2015 screen is also in a size far below the native 1080p res the game is running at on ps4.

Ridesh

Banned
So

E3 2013 trailer: Target render

VGX 2013 trailer / E3 2014 trailer: Cutscenes / Fake-ass gameplay

E3 2014 gameplay: Mildly better looking that the final version.

BigTnaples

Regarding the lighting if you look at the sky you see that it is cloudier, so it could be just that. But we will find out next week how the lighting looks during different weather conditions and times of day.

Indeed. I expect within the first 12 hours we will have HUDless 4K/8K downsampled shots of these areas running on PC Ultra settings. That is when the real judgment can be cast down.

As I said, I feel like it will look close/exact to the 2014 gameplay footage when Ultra/Maxed. Assuming that NPC density/fade in is higher on PC than PS4. The only other real differences look rather small.

The game is just too far removed from the 2013 footage, both artistically and graphically to be properly compared.

I do wonder after seeing some review footage, how the tessellated Nvidia stormy water effects hold up on PC. Or if PC now looks like like the stormy PS4 water effects.
Screenshot_2015_04_12_20_05_58.png

Even though this is on PS4, Dragon Age on PS4 looks better than that

and lol. No.

I mean, maybe if you saw this one shot and this one shot only. But Wild Hunt on PS4 is a much better looking game than Dragon Age Origin on PS4. Which looks great on its own.

Both pale in comparison the Witcher 3 2013 Alpha.

viveks86

I do wonder after seeing some review footage, how the tessellated Nvidia stormy water effects hold up on PC. Or if PC now looks like like the stormy PS4 water effects.

The tech is certainly in there even now. They are tunable in the ini files too. We just need to see that stormy weather at sea again, which has been AWOL since its first appearance.

and lol. No.

I mean, maybe if you saw this one shot and this one shot only. But Wild Hunt on PS4 is a much better looking game than Dragon Age Origin on PS4. Which looks great on its own.

Both pale in comparison the Witcher 3 2013 Alpha.
I'm just referring to this shot specifically yes, I haven't seen much of the PS4 version of W3

elelunicy

Game is gorgeous regardless. Once you get past the "What could have been" sadness from the 2013 stuff, then you will remember we are playing a 9.5/10 game with the best open world graphics currently in existence.
I wouldn't say the 2013 stuff qualifies "the best open world graphics currently in existence," let alone the game in its current state.

rashbeep

Banned
I wouldn't say the 2013 stuff qualifies "the best open world graphics currently in existence," let alone the game in its current state.

I would say so as a whole. Only game I can think of which is more impressive technically is Unity, however that engine is clearly doing more than it can chew as it has a ton of issues. I'm also not a fan of it's daytime lighting either.

Will wait for PS5 remaster

I went through most pics, honestly I prefer how the game looks now, aesthetically, it has a painterly quality to it, despite the vegetation downgrades and whatnot. Maybe someone can mod in AO for the grass. :p

I just can't meet you there. The bottom shots look pretty good, but not by comparison. You see a painter's hand, I see one big smudge.

Still, I don't play much of anything for the graphics. Open world games just make this stuff more noticeable since they are never less than like 40% content tourism.

Vitor711

Even though this is on PS4, Dragon Age on PS4 looks better than that

Uh, it really doesn't. Having played DA:I maxed out on PC, I can safely say that no area looks as dense with details as any footage of the cities that I've seen in TW3.

Sure, DA:I is a nice looking game, but it's clearly held back by cross-gen stuff. TW3 may not be as stunning as we were promised, but it still looks on par with, if not better than DA:I. And it has no load screens within areas. And larger areas. That's amazing.

BigTnaples

Isn't the charging monster a gif from a recent playthrough/video?

The shot of the shadow woods look like what we've seen in-game, too.

Yes. My point was that 2013-2014-2015, whichever version you pick, it is the best looking open world game out there.

He said even the 2013 render of the game wouldn't qualify as the best looking open world RPG.

I would like to know then, what does?

Uh, it really doesn't. Having played DA:I maxed out on PC, I can safely say that no area looks as dense with details as any footage of the cities that I've seen in TW3.

Sure, DA:I is a nice looking game, but it's clearly held back by cross-gen stuff. TW3 may not be as stunning as we were promised, but it still looks on par with, if not better than DA:I. And it has no load screens within areas. And larger areas. That's amazing.
DA:I is much cleaner and has a much nicer color palette than this on PS4 I think. Might just be a difference in art styles I dunno

heringer

Yes. My point was that 2013-2014-2015, whichever version you pick, it is the best looking open world game out there.

He said even the 2013 render of the game wouldn't qualify as the best looking open world RPG.

I would like to know then, what does?

I disagree. As I already said before, I think GTAV maxed out on PC looks better.

BigTnaples

Case closed. (it was closed way before but now there's no rebuttal)

Maybe in 2019 and next-gen.

Not really.

I mean, yes there is a downgrade clearly.

But it remains to be seen if the 2014 and retail will match up. My bet is they do.

Keep in mind, the screenshot you are using to compare looks like this.

cWf3DID.png

when the game I will be playing looks like this. (Or better.)

The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_War_ravaged_these_lands,_nobody_lives_here_anymore.png
2845993-witcher1.png

wNu8dk1ARPiG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom