• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well deserved, TW3 is one amazing feat. It's a true next gen game(in that they couldn't even make it for last gen unless they butchered the experience) and CDPR deserves all the accolades they're getting. It's my personal GOTY as well.

NIGHT-

One of the masterpieces of gaming. I mostly care because this domination in GOTY awards could potentially translate into even more sales for the game, which results into more money for CDPR, which results into more amazing games from them.

Gamers are the winners.

Yep, I'm gonna rebuy the GOTY release just to support them more

Is the combat that bad? People seem split on the issue but how can a core mechanic being divisive lead to so many awards?

If someone (me) cares only about "gameplay" and nothing for story, should they bother?

It does seem to be very divisive, but if you're someone that loves it, it's hard to understand where the hate comes from. I'm playing the game a 2nd time right now. When I'm doing the same quests over again, I'm not bothered at all because I still have the combat to look forward to. I love it.

Level 15 now and I have so many options at my disposal. The combat never gets old for me.

EDIT: I did not realize this was 8 pages already O_O

The combat is fucking awesome and only second to bloodborn. Don't understand the hate.

See? I'm not crazy!

Majestad

Banned
W3 is also winning people's pick in most places, most recently Eurogamer. Now it only needs to win GAF GOTY and it will align with what others have agreed upon.

NIGHT-

W3 is also winning people's pick in most places, most recently Eurogamer. Now it only needs to win GAF GOTY and it will align with what others have agreed upon.

It won't win on gaf, Bloodborne is leading by quite a bit, which isn't surprising(Sony exclusive)

Fitts

The love that open world RPGs get in these lists is making me really wary of The Witcher 3. I thought these 4 games were incredibly overhyped (Inquisition being the worst offender here) and fear this is just another case of that.

For what it's worth, after dumping 30 hours into it I consider Witcher 3 to be the most overhyped game of the year. Then again, I actually enjoyed those Bethesda games so YMMV.

It won't win on gaf, Bloodborne is leading by quite a bit, which isn't surprising(Sony exclusive)

Uh... what does exclusivity have to do with anything?

eot

Banned
This shoukd probably go in a LTTP thread, but I just started Witcher 2 yesterday and I'm not really enjoying the combat. I got my ass whooped in the tutorial. I'm playing this with a PS4 controller on my PC. Maybe I'm approaching combat the wrong way...

Am I supposed to be roll dodging all the time? Is this game really that tedious where I have to find potions and oils I need to apply before each battle? Does the spell/meditate selection wheel get easier to use over time? To me it just feels clumsy. I don't know if it's the settings for my controller, but it's impossible to use my joystick with making selectons so I'm forced to use my dpad after bringing up the selection wheel.

Please tell me that Witcher 3 improves upon the things I'm describing. Again I've only started, but comeat has left a bad taste in my mouth. Same with the shitty inventory menu.

First of all, the game has an inverted difficulty curve. With one or two exceptions the game just gets easier the further you get. Secondly, if you don't want to mess with the alchemy simply spec into the sword tree and/or turn down the difficulty. I played it with kb/m so I can't speak to the issues you're having with the controller. If I were you though I would at least play through act 1 (not the prologue) before you give up on it.

Not sure what you're implying, but either Bloodborne or Witcher 3 deserve the GOTY imho. If Bloodborne wins here so be it, it's not like Witcher 3 hasn't won enough lol

I think he's implying the site has a massive Sony bias, which is why Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros. were the top three games last year.

Winners of the previous years according to the site:

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007: Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game
2013: The Last of Us
2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Inquisition? Fuck that shit

Sanctuary

2015 wasn't a very competitive year, so of course the game that is the largest, has the most cutscenes and has the best graphics is going to win the most accolades. How is this something new?

I don't get it. Here's 2014....

01. Bayonetta 2
02. Mario Kart 8
03. Super Smash Bros.
04. Dragon Age: Inquisition
05. Dark Souls II
06. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
07. Wolfenstein: The New Order
08. South Park: The Stick of Truth
09. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
10. Shovel Knight
11. Alien: Isolation
12. Destiny
13. Infamous: Second Son (Sony Exclusive)

Based on that, being a Sony exclusive does not help you?

2015 wasn't a very competitive year, so of course the game that is the largest, has the most cutscenes and has the best graphics is going to win the most accolades. How is this something new?

MGS5 is basically Cutscene: The Game. Witcher 3 doesn't even come close :p

NIGHT-

I think he's implying the site has a massive Sony bias, which is why Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros. were the top three games last year.

Just stating that Sony exclusives tend to do better on gaf than most places. Last year makes sense, Sony didn't have a strong candidate, imo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
-Xenoblade Chronicles is larger
-The Order, Tomb Raider, and Arkham Knight are prettier.
-The Order literally has entire chapters dedicated solely to cutscenes and is way more cinematic™ yet was panned.
-MGSV's intro is 45 minutes of minimal gameplay and mostly cutscenes.

This was an incredibly competitive year for gaming btw even with the titles that turned out to disappoint.

Sanctuary

-Xenoblade Chronicles is larger
-The Order, Tomb Raider, and Arkham Knight are prettier.
-The Order literally has entire chapters dedicated solely to cutscenes and is way more cinematic™ yet was panned.

I wasn't looking at each aspect in a vacuum...
Jesus

DNAbro

It was probably one of the best years in gaming ever.

Fitts

Haha wow... the hate for Dragon Age is strong. It never interested me, but now I want to check it out just to see what's so bad about it.

At any rate, who cares what some games media bums think? The criteria is made up and -- judging from a good number of those picks compared to their contemporaries -- the gameplay don't matter. The only GOTY list worth reading is GAF's and the only vids worth watching are the ones that take the piss out of the concept as a whole.

Gurthang

Banned
Sony and Nintendo exclusives will win every GOTY award from gaf. I'm not saying its undeserved but don't expect a multi platform game to win gaf GOTY when Nintendo or sony had released a heavy-hitter in the same year

Chola

Banned

Bk2UVxWIAAAee3X.jpg:large

XV with its cringeworthy dialogue and writing is not winning anything. Esp with the likes of Uncharted and other heavy hitters in the same year.

It was supposed to be a sarcasm but I failed miserably lol.
There are just too many posts here from people with their generalization and double standards. Open world games are the goty darlings while most of the winners aren't actually open world games.

Chola

Banned

Yes, first 45 minutes rest of the game is all gameplay. Witcher 3 has way more many cut-scenes spread throughout the entire game. its weird to bring in just one mission into the argument

Exentryk

It was supposed to be a sarcasm but I failed miserably lol.
There are just too many posts here from people with their generalization and double standards. Open world games are the goty darlings while most of the winners aren't actually open world games.

Ah! Did you change your avatar recently? I didn't read your username (I've seen your posts in other Witcher threads) otherwise I wouldn't have commented haha.

NIGHT-

Sony and Nintendo exclusives will win every GOTY award from gaf. I'm not saying its undeserved but don't expect a multi platform game to win gaf GOTY when Nintendo or sony had released a heavy-hitter in the same year

Yea, I was blown away when Journey won and mgs4 won twice..

Yes, first 45 minutes rest of the game is all gameplay. Witcher 3 has way more many cut-scenes spread throughout the entire game. its weird to bring in just one mission into the argument

More player agency and better controls too imo. Horses for courses of course.

TPP has the better horse as well.

Azzanadra

Despite the weak main story and combat, I think the beautiful open world, soundtrack, characters and side quests deserve the game the praise it has been getting. Hopefully the developers of other open world games learn from this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There are many long cutscenes in the game, it's poorly paced but there are quite a bit. Around 4-5 hours of them actually.

I don't get it. Here's 2014....

01. Bayonetta 2
02. Mario Kart 8
03. Super Smash Bros.
04. Dragon Age: Inquisition
05. Dark Souls II
06. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
07. Wolfenstein: The New Order
08. South Park: The Stick of Truth
09. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
10. Shovel Knight
11. Alien: Isolation
12. Destiny
13. Infamous: Second Son (Sony Exclusive)

Based on that, being a Sony exclusive does not help you?

Which sony exclusives did we have last year? ;)

Great list btw..but Tropical Freeze only at 6? :(

Meaty

Man, so well deserved. The last time a game has raisen the bar so much for me has been Uncharted 2, 5 years ago.

This game is just so good. I cant help but pray that the Name of the Wind IP ends up with CDPR.

Omadahl

Banned
I played the first 2 witches and never really got into the story. Honestly, 2 dragged a bit for me. Would anyone still recommend it given my experience? It's a series I would like to love because the world is interesting but the characters just don't jive with me.

spekkeh

Banned

Meh, Nintendo absolutely killed it last year (and then got ignored everywhere), can't really argue with The Last of Us winning 2013, and 2012 was a pretty shit year with the only great games Journey and The Walking Dead ending neck and neck. Before that we had two multiplats: Portal 2 in 2011, Mass Effect 2 in 2010 (I guess you could kind of call this x360 exclusive).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games ever but that statement is really odd to me. You spend a massive amount of time in W3 just watching people talk (it's part of the fun) while MGS5 barely has any cutscenes. Sometimes you go hours without seeing a single cutscene in MGS5 while you can't go 15 minutes in W3 without starting a conversation with someone.

antitrop

I played the first 2 witches and never really got into the story. Honestly, 2 dragged a bit for me. Would anyone still recommend it given my experience? It's a series I would like to love because the world is interesting but the characters just don't jive with me.

I'm a similar case. I loved Witcher 1, because it felt so new at the time, and it was interesting to meet these characters for the first time, but by The Witcher 2, I was kind of done with it. I tried Witcher 3 and it just didn't "grab me" for pretty much the same reason 2 didn't for you.

I had already had my fill of Geralt and crew in 2007, Witcher 3 didn't do anything to personally get me reinvested in the characters or story.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Tbh I never really liked The Witcher 2's combat. The Witcher 3 is much better in that department.

Me too

I don't understand why people have issues with the combat. I find the combat system makes full use of all your abilities, and it's rare for a game to do that.

Witcher 3 is a bit more personal, since the story revolves around Geralt searching for his daughter figure.

I'm the exact same case. I loved Witcher 1, because it felt so new at the time, and it was interesting to meet these characters for the first time, but by The Witcher 2, I was kind of done with it. I tried Witcher 3 and it just didn't "grab me" for pretty much the same reason 2 didn't for you.

I think the Witcher 2 was definitely the worst in the trilogy, not to say it was bad, but it was by far the weakest.

Top Bottom