• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

antitrop

I think the Witcher 2 was definitely the worst in the trilogy, not to say it was bad, but it was by far the weakest.

Ya, that's not really going out on a limb there. I even like The Witcher 1's combat system better than 2. I'd rather time my clicks than dodge-roll over and over again like an idiot.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
2012 was a pretty uneventful year, so the Journey win makes sense. It was at least unique. I can't think of anything better than MGS4 in 2008, save for maybe Fallout 3.

Journey isn't anywhere even close to as good as XCOM. Crusader Kings either but PC exclusive on GAF and all.

Ya, that's not really going out on a limb there. I even like The Witcher 1's combat system better than 2. I'd rather time my clicks than dodge-roll over and over again like an idiot.

I also find the Witcher 1's combat fun.

Don't get all the hate it gets.

Sanctuary

It was probably one of the best years in gaming ever.

Maybe if you only started gaming last gen. Even then, it still wasn't. There have been some pretty good games released in 2014 and 2015, but not enough to make either a truly competitive year.
If you want to see what a really great year looks like, look at '98.

I mean, holy shit.

Maybe if you only started gaming last gen. Even then, it still wasn't. There have been some pretty good games released in 2014 and 2015, but not enough to make either a truly competitive year.

Completely agreed. There were a handful of games I loved in 2015 but I wouldn't call it a great year by any stretch.

antitrop

If you want to see what a really great year looks like, look at '98.

Yeah, nothing this gen stands next to monsters like 1998, 2004, or 2007.

vB9B5h.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That 2003-2015 GOTY list...
People sure love their gritty Cinematic Experiences(TM)
These games followed each other.
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game

Certainly wouldn't call any of them gritty. Especially compared to the brown/gray=photorealistic trend at the time.

antitrop

Shit! I played MGS3 in November as well! Good lord. RE4 was two months later. I don't think I've ever loved gaming more than I did in 2004-early 2005.
I wouldn't have been able to handle RE4 making 2004. Capcom knew releasing such a game in such an already amazing year would have imploded the universe, so they pushed it out to January and saved us all.

I wouldn't have been able to handle RE4 making 2004. Capcom knew releasing such a game in such an already amazing year would have imploded the universe, so they pushed it out to January and saved us all.

lol I didn't think a game could be better than HL2 and then Capcom blew my mind.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
2015 wasn't a great year let's be honest, but I can name 8 games right off the top of my head better than The Witcher 3 that deserved the title GOTY more:

1. Majora's Mask 3D
2. Metal Gear Solid 5
3. Tearaway Unfolded
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Splatoon
6. Super Mario Maker
7. Steins;Gate
8. Undertale

All of them achieved what they set out to do better than what The Witcher 3 did. Witcher 3 brought nothing new to the table, except "slightly better than other openworld games sidequests".

It won't win on gaf, Bloodborne is leading by quite a bit, which isn't surprising(Sony exclusive)

Bloodborne winning on gaf, has nothing to do with it being a sony exclusve. It has everything to do with it being a derivative of the highly overrated soul series. But hey, what do i know.

Endo Punk

I was going to get the game but Bloodborne kept me away from many releases. I guess it's for the best because The Witcher 3 looks far too overwhelming. I can understand why it won so many awards, insane they managed to create such a huge game on consoles and yet it looks as beautiful as a linear title typically would.

I agree. I've been in that gaming funk for a couple years now trying to find something that just "clicks" and W3 did. Its gorgeous, every quest seems to be a "main" quest, and almost 50 hours in I'm not even to Skellige or w/e its called.

I rank it up there with the best like RDR.

KdylanR92

Awesome The Witcher 3 deserves it, one of the best games i've ever played and definitely the most fun i've had playing a game this year.

I hesitate to put Bloodborne as my second favorite this year mainly because after I finished my first playthrough at around 45-50 hours i've had no desire to ever play it again and kinda forgot I even owned it since I haven't played it since last february.

Fallout 4 was just Fallout 4 I guess, loved the art book though.

Metal Gear Solid 5 was the first Metal Gear game i've ever played. Fantastic gameplay and I didn't really have any attachment to the story so i just took it as is.

2015 wasn't a great year let's be honest, but I can name 8 games right off the top of my head better than The Witcher 3 that deserved the title GOTY more:

1. Majora's Mask 3D
2. Metal Gear Solid 5
3. Tearaway Unfolded
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Splatoon
6. Super Mario Maker
7. Steins;Gate
8. Undertale

All of them achieved what they set out to do better than what The Witcher 3 did. Witcher 3 brought nothing new to the table, except "slightly better than other openworld games sidequests".

And even then it destroys all that list in terms of characters and story, and even lore (don't care if there's zelda there, if anything, Hyrule historia proved nintendo fucked up that whole world with all the paths, and different realities, etc)

Awesome The Witcher 3 deserves it, one of the best games i've ever played and definitely the most fun i've had playing a game this year.

I hesitate to put Bloodborne as my second favorite this year mainly because after I finished my first playthrough at around 45-50 hours i've had no desire to ever play it again and kinda forgot I even owned it since I haven't played it since last february.

Fallout 4 was just Fallout 4 I guess, loved the art book though.

Metal Gear Solid 5 was the first Metal Gear game i've ever played. Fantastic gameplay and I didn't really have any attachment to the story so i just took it as is.

Did you obtain a copy of the game a month before everyone else?

You should at least try The Old Hunters DLC.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Well deserved. The game has had me by the balls for two months straight. I was burnt out on Skyrim after only 60 hours and I hardly made any progress.

I'm about 95 hours in Witcher 3 without signs of slowing down. In fact, I'm getting even MORE invested in the storyline, that's how compelling the narrative is.

Ultimadrago

The combat is why I've never played more than 1 hour of The Witcher 1.

The combat is indeed that bad. I've been introducing my friend to the series with the Rise mod and I can only apologize to them ahead of time for it. I am still hearing their shouts of rage.

I still think its worth playing through, however. Much like Vampires Bloodlines.

Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are all some of the best games in their respective genres ever released.

I fucking loved 2014.

Literally my three favorite games of 2014. I like your style. I'd throw Shovel Knight in there as well.

Apenheul

That list in the top (GOTY-count list) would look completely different if you looked at the rankings of the titles instead of just "was it number one?". Super Mario Maker would probably be second after The Witcher 3, or third after MSGV.

Top Bottom