• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

BBboy20

Man, seeing the performance improvement from Monster Hunter on the n3ds makes it a tempting product but I also don't want to stop using my og3ds. But ultimately, what would hold me back even if i could afford it is the transfer shenanigans. I still haven't really played my Dream Team XL because of that.

I think most DS games are region free. Unless they used DSi features... Then they will be region locked. It might just be safe to return it.

Thanks. It says on the back that it can take advantage of dsi features. So i guess I'll send it back.

Thanks. It says on the back that it can take advantage of dsi features. So i guess I'll send it back.
Yes DSi-enhanced and DSi only games are region locked that is true.

But here is the thing US and European version of Pokemon BW (and BW2) are actually region free. Why exactly they made that decision I do not know (especially as the release dates were really close to each other).

But there is another possibility. It is a counterfeit, in which case it shouldn't boot at all.

How long is the returns/dispute window on these?

Yes DSi-enhanced and DSi only games are region locked that is true.

But here is the thing US and European version of Pokemon BW (and BW2) are actually region free. Why exactly they made that decision I do not know (especially as the release dates were really close to each other).

But there is another possibility. It is a counterfeit, in which case it shouldn't boot at all.

How long is the returns/dispute window on these?

I got it through amazon warehouse deals used and I have already printed out the return slip. Plus i just found another one on amazon cheaper. I'm just gunna be careful and send it back since I don't want to sit on the game until the 13th when the n3ds comes out and then have it not work. Because by that point they will try to dispute i played it since it is used.

Kuni

Certainly seems to be confusing.

Good thread though. I was originally going to upgrade the new 3ds before transfer. Now I'll upgrade the current 3ds to new card and just move it over.... Then download MH4U.

MrPanic

Probably a dumb question but just to make sure. If I was to get the n3ds with mh4u pre-installed, when I transfer my stuff over to that n3ds, the mh4u licence would be merged into my nnid. Does it actually become a game in my nnid, so if I would transfer to another n3ds after that, will it transfer the mh4u licence just fine or will the game get stuck on the older n3ds?

tuffy

Probably a dumb question but just to make sure. If I was to get the n3ds with mh4u pre-installed, when I transfer my stuff over to that n3ds, the mh4u licence would be merged into my nnid. Does it actually become a game in my nnid, so if I would transfer to another n3ds after that, will it transfer the mh4u licence just fine or will the game get stuck on the older n3ds?
Once it's merged into your NNID, it'll transfer to some hypothetical "Newer 3DS" just fine along with the rest of your games.

So to be clear, after I do a transfer from my old 3DSXL to the new 3DSXL with MH4U pre-installed on it and I wanna switch to a bigger micro SD card, I just copy and paste the licenses from the original micro SD card to the bigger micro SD card using my PC?

Eiolon

So to be clear, after I do a transfer from my old 3DSXL to the new 3DSXL with MH4U pre-installed on it and I wanna switch to a bigger micro SD card, I just copy and paste the licenses from the original micro SD card to the bigger micro SD card using my PC?

Yes

I honestly don't remember because I formatted it to make sure it would take the NNID off or any other save data so it wouldn't transfer to my girlfriends. $0.90 transferred over to the eShop though.

Also, I kinda wonder if it's because I put my GF's NNID before checking the re-downloadable software on the eShop.
If the money was consolidated that I believe that means there wasn't an NNID before. This is odd so Pokemon definitely does not say purchased on the store page and it is not in the games you own bit (it might have ended up at the bottom of the list or something).

I suppose you could talk to Nintendo giving the serial number of both systems and saying you believe some content didn't transfer over and they should be able to investigate it further. You might need some info like NNID and some games it has.

One final thing that sprang to mind. It wouldn't happen to be of those limited edition Pokemon 3DS XL systems, would it? Those don't come with the game...

Dumb question... but I also partially blame Nintendo.

From Nintendo: microSD Cards That Have Been Tested to Work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL

The microSD card that I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/ - SanDisk SDSDQUA.

I hope it'll work? I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't... but want to make sure.
They say that because it is all they've tested. There are many SD cards out and they can't test them all. Branded stuff you should be fine. I do notice an unbranded SD card that came with my spare 3DS has deficiencies (e.g. on digital copy of Kid Icarus due to how frequently it saves, every menu basically the game won't let you advance menus as quickly, also pressing home during these brings up the good old ho home icon)

ALM5252

If the money was consolidated that I believe that means there wasn't an NNID before. This is odd so Pokemon definitely does not say purchased on the store page and it is not in the games you own bit (it might have ended up at the bottom of the list or something).

I suppose you could talk to Nintendo giving the serial number of both systems and saying you believe some content didn't transfer over and they should be able to investigate it further. You might need some info like NNID and some games it has.

One final thing that sprang to mind. It wouldn't happen to be of those limited edition Pokemon 3DS XL systems, would it? Those don't come with the game...

They say that because it is all they've tested. There are many SD cards out and they can't test them all. Branded stuff you should be fine. I do notice an unbranded SD card that came with my spare 3DS has deficiencies (e.g. on digital copy of Kid Icarus due to how frequently it saves, every menu basically the game won't let you advance menus as quickly, also pressing home during these brings up the good old ho home icon)

No, the game doesn't show up. I've also looked for it but the price is $39.99. And it was there digitally because i was browsing the Pokemon in the game. It was also a regular Black 3DS.

I called Nintendo and they checked but couldn't help any further because I didn't know the NNID from the source system. Its no big deal though, my girlfriend is content with not being able to have gotten it, especially if she would have lost her NNID in the process...but calling Nintendo when that happened could have been the better route. Ha.

I honestly thought the games were still hardware based and that by removing the NNID I could have just transfered the license for her. :)

Makes me worried about my 2DS with Mario Kart 7 digitally. I wanna give that to my little cousin, but I don't want him to lose any of his stuff. I'll call Nintendo to walk me through that one. Lol

So, real quick question:

I have a 2GB SD card in my 3DS. The n3DS comes with a micro SD card. Since I don't have more than 4GB, I'm not gonna have to worry about transferring any data to a PC or buying any additional cards, correct?

Garou

So, real quick question:

I have a 2GB SD card in my 3DS. The n3DS comes with a micro SD card. Since I don't have more than 4GB, I'm not gonna have to worry about transferring any data to a PC or buying any additional cards, correct?

No problem, you can transfer everything through wireless, although it may take a bit of time depending on how full your current SD is (Nintendo says 2GB of data take around 1 hour).

Alright, awesome. I have no problem with waitinf, I have less than 2GB anyway.

It'll be nice to move up from the 2GB to the 4GB actually. Space has been becoming scarce on my card and I've been wanting to upgrade.

Tizoc

You can have the data on both cards but only one DS can be active to use it. Once your NNID is activated on the n3DS you cannot reactivate on the 3DS anymore.

...but what if I want to have the same games on both the N3DS and the 3DS?

amnesiac

Quick question.

The only things I need to transfer to my New 3DS XL are my games that I purchased on the eShop. I'm not concerned about saves or anything.

Do I need to do the PC transfer or can I just do a normal system transfer without having to do anything with the SD card since the games are tied to my NNID?

Eiolon

I e-mailed Nintendo customer service regarding the 3DS to n3DS transfer. Like many, I want to sell my 3DS in advance to have funds for the n3DS but my NNID will remain linked to the old one even after formatting the system.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. While it's true that your Nintendo Network ID will remain linked to your Nintendo 3DS XL after formatting it, any future owner (should you choose to sell it) will not have access to your games upon use of the system unless they have the password for your NNID. This means that you can safely format and sell your system prior to the launch of the New Nintendo 3DS XL. We are able to perform a transfer manually (without requiring you to have access to the original system). At that time we ask that you please give us a call.

When you have your New Nintendo 3DS XL, please contact our Consumer Service Department by calling 1-800-255-3700 any time between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time, seven days a week. In order to speed things along, make sure to have your system with you when you call.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Joe Schenck

So regardless if we are doing a GameStop trade-in or just selling the system, just copy your SD card contents to your PC, reformat the system and do what you'd like with it. When you get your new one, just move your files from PC to new SD card, call Nintendo and active your NNID on the n3DS. A little inconvenient, yes, but nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be.

So regardless if we are doing a GameStop trade-in or just selling the system, just copy your SD card contents to your PC, reformat the system and do what you'd like with it. When you get your new one, just move your files from PC to new SD card, call Nintendo and active your NNID on the n3DS. A little inconvenient, yes, but nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be.

Between this, the memory cards, the lack of power cable... we're no longer talking "little" on the inconveniences anymore. How badly can a launch be handled?

Go Cards!

I e-mailed Nintendo customer service regarding the 3DS to n3DS transfer. Like many, I want to sell my 3DS in advance to have funds for the n3DS but my NNID will remain linked to the old one even after formatting the system.

I don't think it works like that. The encryption key for the SD card contents was lost as soon as you traded the system in. The only way to keep the same key is to do a system transfer.

So it means you'll get your system, have to wait for NOA to do the transfer then redownload everything. Plus you lost all your saves...

Quick question.

The only things I need to transfer to my New 3DS XL are my games that I purchased on the eShop. I'm not concerned about saves or anything.

Do I need to do the PC transfer or can I just do a normal system transfer without having to do anything with the SD card since the games are tied to my NNID?
The answer is in the system setting manual. Do a normal transfer then you might as well do the partial data wireless transfer option (full takes too long) that way you get your saves too and you don't have to do anything with a PC.

KevinG

I've been under the impression that it isn't always this cut and dry.

I'm pretty sure most Gamestops allow you to do the transfer using in store wi-fi. Meaning you can trade your XL in and they'll allow you to transfer it's contents to your N3DS in store and you'll get the full $100 trade in credit.

My GameStop told me that I have to do this on the 13th, as it's the last day of the promotion.

Choomp

Banned
Dumb question... but I also partially blame Nintendo.

From Nintendo: microSD Cards That Have Been Tested to Work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL

The microSD card that I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/ - SanDisk SDSDQUA.

I hope it'll work? I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't... but want to make sure.
I bought a SanDisk SDHC off Amazon and after trying to transfer data via computer with no avail, I talked to Nintendo and they said the microSD I have wasn't compatible, so I'm kinda annoyed and I'm not going to buy another one. I bought the cheapest, best looking microSD I could find after reading the thing you posted off of Nintendo's site, so I'll probably just end up doing the normal transfer when I get my N3DS.

Just got a PNY Class 10 64GB microSD from NCIX so I can begin migrating my data from my Old 3DS XL's SD card:

I know that officially, the New 3DS only supports up to 32GB microSDs, but as far as I'm aware, as long as you format these SDXC cards as FAT32 (versus exFAT), they'll read just fine.

The question is: what cluster size to I use to have the maximum benefit/compatibility/performance? Google isn't giving me a straight answer.

Jarnet87

Not sure if it was this thread but someone posted about Gamestop extending their offer to the 15th so that people can get the new one transfer and then return for the trade in credit. Went to my local Gamestop and they told me they werent sure about about that but they will be doing transfers in store if needed.

Not sure if it was this thread but someone posted about Gamestop extending their offer to the 15th so that people can get the new one transfer and then return for the trade in credit. Went to my local Gamestop and they told me they werent sure about about that but they will be doing transfers in store if needed.

They have to allow you to do a transfer at home. These transfers are slow and may take more than an hour to complete.

Conezays

Maybe this is an obvious question but what would I need to do to transfer save data/games from SD card on 3DSXL onto a New 3DSXL with microSD?

JCho133

Do the American and European versions of the MH4U edition New 3DS XL come with the game preloaded or a physical copy? Because I know the Japanese one came with a physical copy

So, this is gonna be my very first transfer yet.

Just to be sure: I've got a 3DS XL and I preordered a n3DS XL Majora's Mask edition. I also bought a 32gb micro SDHC card.

What I already did

• Transfered my saves and games from the 3DS SD-Card to the new micro SDHC card by using PC/Mac
  • Put the new micro SDHC card with an adapter into my old 3DS XL
What I have to do once the n3DS XL arrives

• Make a transfer of my NNID and Licences
  • Get the micro SDHC card out of the 3DS XL and put it into the new 3DS XL
  • Redownload Majora's Mask
Is that the correct way? Don't wanna mess my saves up!

Thanks for making that list....this is my situation exactly. gonna use this as a mini-guide. :)

Anyone have any insight on whether this microSDHC card work in the N3DS? http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-016G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M55C0LK/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t I don't know shiz about SD cards so does it matter that it is UHS-1?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I only have the original 4GB card in my XL, and I have some time to do the transfer as I'm buying the n3DS from amazon first, and then selling the XL.

So if I just put the micro SD card in the n3DS and do a full transfer, that shouldn't take hours, right?

Putosaure

I only have the original 4GB card in my XL, and I have some time to do the transfer as I'm buying the n3DS from amazon first, and then selling the XL.

So if I just put the micro SD card in the n3DS and do a full transfer, that shouldn't take hours, right?

Copy the SD card content to a PC, and paste it in the µSD card. Do only a licence transfer, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

I did a transfer from my XL to my New 3DS and there were more options this time.

It took longer but i chose to transfer everything peer to peer (not using a PC).

When it was done all the installed games, saves, Streetpasses were transferred on to the new 3ds.

As far as i remember this option was not available when i did the same thing from my first 3DS to my XL.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Copy the SD card content to a PC, and paste it in the µSD card. Do only a licence transfer, shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Can I then put the original SD card back in the old 3DS?

I did a transfer from my XL to my New 3DS and there were more options this time.

It took longer but i chose to transfer everything peer to peer (not using a PC).

When it was done all the installed games, saves, Streetpasses were transferred on to the new 3ds.

As far as i remember this option was not available when i did the same thing from my first 3DS to my XL.

Roughly how long did it take, and how big was the SD card in your original XL?

Putosaure

Can I then put the original SD card back in the old 3DS?

Yes, the SD card must be in your console to do the transfer. When prompted, just choose "I already have a micro-SD card". After the license transfer, copy what you had on the PC to the included µSD card, and put it back in the New 3DS. Should do the trick.

jorgejjvr

Can I copy the contents from my 3ds SD card to the new 3ds SD card through a pc and THEN do the transfer? I've heard this is faster

Can I copy the contents from my 3ds SD card to the new 3ds SD card through a pc and THEN do the transfer? I've heard this is faster
The safest thing to do is to do the transfer but select the copy via PC option. Read the system settings manual for more details.

Top Bottom